South east corner full, please find another venue

BristolJT

The south east corner was WAY busier this year than I have ever seen. They used to shut the gate and put on the signs ‘south east corner full please find another venue’ however I did not see that this year. Is this still a thing? They really need to reintroduce this as South east corner is not enjoyable at all between 12-4. 

1 minute ago, BristolJT said:

The south east corner was WAY busier this year than I have ever seen. They used to shut the gate and put on the signs ‘south east corner full please find another venue’ however I did not see that this year. Is this still a thing? They really need to reintroduce this as South east corner is not enjoyable at all between 12-4. 

There were definitely signs on the way that said certain areas were full at times - Shangri La etc. Tbh I didn’t think it was any worse than previous years and actually seemed to travel through pretty easily this year which was nice. It probably was busier given the whole site was, but I managed to avoid any crushes or even overcrowded areas in general.

We only did it on Thursday night, it seemed very quiet to me compared to what I was expecting. Was nice to be able to take in all of the sights sounds and things going on. Block 9 / Icon / The Temple were the only busy areas, and even they were manageable, managed to have a few drinks. 

11 minutes ago, BristolJT said:

I only really spent Friday night down there, didn’t seem too bad tbh but I was in a bit of a state so possibly didn’t notice. 

FWIW I did see an electronic sign saying “The Temple is full - please find an alternative venue.” Was somewhere around West Holts I think. 

So they are still doing it I guess, just not for the whole area?

Not been since 2016, and maybe it's because I always headed in after the headliner and went home by 3 (people said 4am is the busiest time?), but I found it so much more spacious and better organised than the old days. The Icon stage is massive which seems to suck up a lot of people, the choke points seem to be gone and the bars all seemed quiet. Apparently the toilets were awful if you went to the wrong ones but I never had an issue. I had such a great time there Thursday I went back Friday and Sunday, when normally I'd just go once a festival.

11 minutes ago, LoraMaze said:

I only went in once, but found it better for getting around than before. Bad lack of loos though, annoying when you’ve queued to go in the temple and lose all your mates when you have to essentially leave the area to find a toilet 

There are toilets literally inside the temple...

Yeah they were not very well advertised at all to be fair, basically there were 3 areas where you could go underneath the main structure of the temple. Central/rear is where you go in, to the left is where you exit and to the right there is a bar and some toilets 

2 hours ago, BristolJT said:

I certainly saw 'SE Corner Closed' signs. Don't know if they had shut the gates as we didn't go that way, but assuming they were. They weren't even letting people with queue passes when I saw the sign.

8 hours ago, jimmillen said:

I only really spent Friday night down there, didn’t seem too bad tbh but I was in a bit of a state so possibly didn’t notice. 

FWIW I did see an electronic sign saying “The Temple is full - please find an alternative venue.” Was somewhere around West Holts I think. 

So they are still doing it I guess, just not for the whole area?

We saw this on Sunday Night around 2 and then got to it and there was no queue!

6 hours ago, JohnTheScientist said:

Toilets near iicon stage were ridiculous saturday night, had to leave nyc downlow to go to them, then each cubicle was 10 deep! 

Those toilets were ridiculous - queued half an hour for them during Joy Orbison on saturday night

Yea was expecting them to of closed access into the SEC Saturday night after seeing those signs, was suprised you could just walk in without waiting from the Cabaret fields, then suprised again when there was no crowd control for access to Shangri-la from the Common, worst I've ever seen Shangri-la that night, shoulder to shoulder space wise until reaching the Unfairground, put alot of people off bothering the next night, poor work/organising from Glasto

14 hours ago, Splatt said:

Ironically as I did find rest of site to be heaving, but felt SE corner more manageable than normal. 

I did Thursday and Saturday in the SEC and had no issues at all. Thursday I headed in at 11pm, so prime time and was inside the temple in no time - had to go through the zig zags but was shuffling forward the whole time. 

Saturday we went to meet family at Macca but couldn’t get to them (they were between the sound and video desks). I’m sure we probably could have forced our way in, but we were already getting grief from a lot of people for moving through the crowd and were a bit on the fence about seeing him, so headed for the SEC early via a bit of Roisin Murphy. This was pre-Macca starting so it wasn’t our fault for getting there late. The crowd was packed, possibly slightly more so than for the Killers in 2019, but it was far more aggro. Lots of 40+ folk getting tetchy. We just didn’t have the appetite for the fight and having become parents since 2019 were a little sketched out by the number of clearly distressed kids we saw in the crowd - one 2-year-old was obviously really upset and struggling but was just being shushed by it’s mum. Couldn’t hack being near that so we went to the temple, spent the night in the SE and got weird until 6am. 

Other than queues for the bars and toilets I found the SE corner to be the most manageable it's been yet in terms of getting around. And even the bar queues were usually fine if you walked to the next one.

Only irritating thing was getting to NYC Downlow a full half an hour before it opened on Saturday only to be told the queue was already 2 hours long. Thankfully half an hour in I complimented one of the performers walking past and she pulled our group from the queue and bought us straight inside. Fantastic night.

Annoyingly there was no sign saying Shangri-la was full when I headed down there to catch fatboy slim so was a complete and utter waste of a walk which I wish I didn't bother with. Saw the signs saying Temple full but nothing about Shangri-la so that would have been helpful. First time I've ever seen them shut off the whole of shangri-la too.

55 minutes ago, D-Low said:

Annoyingly there was no sign saying Shangri-la was full when I headed down there to catch fatboy slim so was a complete and utter waste of a walk which I wish I didn't bother with. Saw the signs saying Temple full but nothing about Shangri-la so that would have been helpful. First time I've ever seen them shut off the whole of shangri-la too.

Was it that busy? I was there and didn’t even notice 

21 hours ago, The Nal said:

Went for a ramble on Thursday evening and didnt bother for the rest of the festival. Its been shit for years. Needs a complete revamp.

I’ve not been since 2010 so was a tad underwhelmed with what I found. Just a load of normal stages now really. Thought it was covid related.