Worthy (re)view

moogster

On 6/29/2022 at 11:25 AM, Cuboid said:

might just be me but the idea of asking a volunteer to lugg my bags in a wheel barrow felt wrong. it's camping not the ritz. 

Not everyone is as able to carry heavy bags as you seem to be though.

If porters weren't needed those people may not have had the chance to be at the festival. Of all the volunteering options I think i'd go for that one, they were only doing during Weds, maybe Thurs and Monday.

This was my 13th festival, the first 5 in general camping and the next 7 camped next to a CV. I would definitely do it again. Definite lack of atmosphere in WV but I liked:

The ease of getting to the site (and out on Monday) and getting stuff to/from the tent

No queue for wristband/entry

Quiet site

Access point into the festival much better than East CV

I liked being able to have a shower each day, the gents queues looked long but I reckon I only queued for 20 mins max even when the queue was up to the bogs. Wife said she never had to queue when she went at 7am each day.

It's not really expensive for what you get, £150 each for me and my wife - £30 per night. People say that it's the option for rich people, but how much does a camper van cost to buy or even rent - much more than £300!

I would have hated it if I had been put in a tent on the first row by the food vans/bar though, blaring their music out early morning and even late into the night!

One thing i'd complain about is the lack of signage from the car park to tell you where the WV entry point is. I figured it would be obvious so folllowed some others and ended up going through a farm and down the side of the WV site. Nearly ended up down the steps at the pedestrian gate. Not an issue now I know where to go but it was a blazing hot day and I was carrying 2 heavy bags, I was not amused at all when told I had to go back the way I came up the hill!

Edited by Johnnyseven

22 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

Also I now have a F&B tent, I assume the ones they provide at WV and Sticklinch are not?

They're not F&B but are made of canvas so didn't heat up like cheap festival tents do in the sun, they were fine when the sun came out. Depending on the colour tent you get it might be an idea to take a blackout eye mask with you, our tent was red so it was really bright in there when the sun was out - in reality though I don't think being bright in there was an issue for my sleep. 

11 hours ago, dulcificum said:

I get that point to some extent but do you get to camp by your mates at WV? There's definitely no need for queueing for campsites if you're not bothered about that. And the 2-3kg tent split between is but a small fraction of what the average person "lugs" in.

Yes you can camp next to your mates. You just select a group name and put it on the booking form. Only proviso is you all need to be booked into the same sized tents. 
I have camped in general camping for 7 festivals, and WV for 6. Now we’re all well over 50/60, there is no way we’d go back to general camping and the marathon walk from the car parks. Despite being fit, it gets  much harder as you get older. 

When I started doing festivals in dying embers of the 90s there was no such thing as glamping or pre-erected camping....In fact the first time I noticed it at Reading was in 2006 and I don't think Glastonbury officially started doing it until 2013 (although there were plenty of unofficial options nearby) 

I think what it now does it that people who (in the main) have got to a point where they no longer feel they can either carry kit for such a long distance (especially at Glastonbury) or have the time to queue from Tuesday evening just to get a good camping spot. Possibly in the past people would have given up on festivals when they had reached that point but its giving them a chance to continue going whilst not having to put up with the negative aspects of camping.

I like to think of it as 'hassle free' camping...with everything laid out for you etc.

I don't do it personally (yet!) but most of my friends now go in Tipis, WV or Sticklinch and all rave about it. 

I do wonder how long it will be until we see some of these options move within the main fence!

Edited by gooner1990

June 2022 saw Worthy Farm host what seemed the busiest festival ever.  It was my second visit following an enjoyable and somewhat less Crowded House in 2015.

The toilets were as unpleasant as to be expected however the queues were most definitely bigger and in some cases, it would have taken Years and Years to wait for a pee by which time I may have suffered a Wet Leg and imagine my Dry Cleaning bill!

Speaking of Wet Leg I really wanted to catch their set in the Park but on seeing the congestion I promptly let out a Primal Scream and headed for towards John Peel instead for some Griff.

Nobody said it would be an EASY LIFE at the first Glastonbury since Lockdown but this was quickly becoming Nightmares on Wax.

By this time I was becoming a bit of a Snarky Puppy and was in need of some TLC which involved some SUPERGRASS in the Healing Fields. 

Time to man-up flex that Bicep, sharpen my Elbows, retrieve some Self Esteem and get back into the thick of it.  For me the stand out gig was Jesus & Mary Chain who I have always wanted to see and they didn’t disappoint.  Yungblud was also a surprise delight and I am definitely a new fan!

Block 9 (aka the naughty corner is not to be missed) – now that was a wild night…

All in all a fun, if not a little scary experience.  You definitely needed some Confidence Man, to survive Glastonbury 2022 but oh Lorde it was still fun!

Top tip for surviving next year’s Avalanches of people – don’t forget your Inhaler and First Aid Kit. 🤣

34 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

When I started doing festivals in dying embers of the 90s there was no such thing as glamping or pre-erected camping....In fact the first time I noticed it at Reading was in 2006 and I don't think Glastonbury officially started doing it until 2013 (although there were plenty of unofficial options nearby) 

I think what it now does it that people who (in the main) have got to a point where they no longer feel they can either carry kit for such a long distance (especially at Glastonbury) or have the time to queue from Tuesday evening just to get a good camping spot. Possibly in the past people would have given up on festivals when they had reached that point but its giving them a chance to continue going whilst not having to put up with the negative aspects of camping.

I like to think of it as 'hassle free' camping...with everything laid out for you etc.

I don't do it personally (yet!) but most of my friends now go in Tipis, WV or Sticklinch and all rave about it. 

I do wonder how long it will be until we see some of these options move within the main fence!

Wasn't there an option a few years back to buy a tent that was already set up for your in the general camping inside the fence? Or did I make this up?

That's something I would look at doing 

2 minutes ago, Tr234 said:

Wasn't there an option a few years back to buy a tent that was already set up for your in the general camping inside the fence? Or did I make this up?

That's something I would look at doing 

Yes...camplight....no idea why they got rid of it....if they offered that, with an option of a fresh and black tent i would snap that up in a heartbeat.

Camplight - Pre-pitched tents at events