Worthy (re)view

moogster

12 hours ago, Splatt said:

So that’s my rationale out the window! No idea why the mens was so much longer then. How many female showers are there? Mens had two ‘trucks’ of cubicles. 

Easy. Women were going to take less time in the showers because theres a lot less they would do in this environment. Its just about getting clean and washing your hair more or less. If you thought they all were gonna take 45 mins in a stall because they had to be perfect then you have some bias' to sort out.

I saw a lot of women walking out of the showers at Sticklinch in flip flops and just with towels around themselves, whereas men were coming out fully clothed. So maybe the delay for the men was drying off and getting dressed inside the changies.

Edited by chrislfc

Been WV every year since it started.

Car park and tents still work well and good quality.

Wheelbarrow helpers were fab

Hill was ok for me and my group in decent footwear but can see the dangers. Actually found it easier (less physically exerting) then the steps.

Eating area seems more condensed and tents much closer but I’ve never really used them as usually walk into the site. The general store with fresh milk was great though for easy cheap breakfast.

Shower queue as per standard for men and toilets were kept clean (although queues were quite long for them).

Site seemed pretty quiet at night, clean and no trouble.

If I go again I would stay unless Sticklinch is a better option. 

13 hours ago, Splatt said:

So that’s my rationale out the window! No idea why the mens was so much longer then. How many female showers are there? Mens had two ‘trucks’ of cubicles. 

Female showers were bigger - security asked for them to be swapped at one point but was told no.

42 minutes ago, chrislfc said:

I saw a lot of women walking out of the showers at Sticklinch in flip flops and just with towels around themselves, whereas men were coming out fully clothed. So maybe the delay for the men was drying off and getting dressed inside the changies.

Ha that was me more or less. Just grabbed a towel and soap, in and out.

54 minutes ago, Cuboid said:

might just be me but the idea of asking a volunteer to lugg my bags in a wheel barrow felt wrong. it's camping not the ritz. 

You might have a different view if you were a woman of 50+. They were a godsend and lovely with it. Had the same (lucky) chap for my two trips from the car! 

13 hours ago, briddj said:

Sticklinch was more chilled and less of a battle to get in and out of with the hill.

Car park slightly closer, and a similar number of toilets, showers and food stalls for a camp that is smaller (mainly the tents other than scouts there but there were some of them).

We'll be booking there next year (hopefully).

I think they may have slightly more food stalls in WV from what I read, compared to the 3 or 4(?) we had in sticklinch - certainly the latter were very busy at peak times, but tbh I only used them once. Would likely have used at other times, but I'd rather walk ten minutes on site than wait for ten minutes

We stayed up in the Tangerine Field.  First time ever after 20 odd years of lugging a huge family tent to the Family camping up by Gate B.  Was impressed, car park right next to tents and food/bar not bad at all.  Showers were great even though after Thursday/Friday they did get a tad busier.  

Made the arrival day so much easier and even better when the stewards showed us the shortcut to Gate B to get our wristbands etc.  We arrived at 8.30, Unpacked and waited for Tangerine Bar to open for 10 to have a quick pint or 2 before shortcut to the gate.

Would definitely do it again but we had an 8 birth tent which was a tad bit cramped but manageable.  The only downside I could see was that some of the smaller tents were plonked right on the slope of the field so must have made sleeping in them very interesting.

Edited by panasonic2011

In previous years at WV the ladies shower queue was crazy at all times so I’ve never bothered. This year woke up at 730 and thought I’d have a look and 0 queue, could not believe it! I can only imagine lots of women just assumed queues would be awful so didn’t bother. Think the only time in my life I’ve had to queue less than the men 🤣

12 minutes ago, LinvoyPrimus said:

OK so as someone considering Worthy View-ing in 2023... what does this mean? Do you have to get a shuttle to get into the site at Gate A every day?

No, only if you have to pick up your tickets at the box office, and arrived and parked at WV. You can't check in/cut through the festival to gate A, walking around would be madness.

You should take the shuttle as well when arriving/leaving if you come by public transport, I did it once but do not recommend crossing the site with all your gear, even without the weight of a tent.

So if you have your tickets already and drive, no shuttle needed. If you don't have your tickets or arrive by public transport, needed.

Random thanks to the stewards at the shuttle stop who shared their chairs btw 🙂

23 hours ago, moogster said:

got confused on directions on the way out and drove somehow through Frome

If you turn left out the Worthy View one way on Monday, go right at the end of the road, then first exit at podimore roundabout you're on the a303 to London! Not sure how you got that so wrong 😃

Stayed up at WV since 2014.   Still worth the extra cash.   We were on the last row of scout tents this year.  The reconfiguration at the bottom was the main change.   No more view!  That was a shame as it was great to hangout there and it was away from the tents so you didn't keep people awake.   I wonder what the occupants of the first few rows of the scout tents thought about being so close to the shops, food outlets and sitting area?

The path down was just about manageable but in the wet it would be a huge risk.  My wife slipped on the gravel going down one day and it could've been nasty.   This needs sorting for next year for sure or there will be injuries and claims.

Showers were ok.  The increased capacity for women was a good move as they had huge queues in the past.  

8 minutes ago, TomTom1239 said:

If you turn left out the Worthy View one way on Monday, go right at the end of the road, 

That right seemed closed off (it was at something like 6 am) ...Stewards etc. So yes that's exactly where it went wrong. Should have just asked them. I know exactly where you meant. Would have been a lovely drive if the weather didn't turn to shit though! We were in time for our ferry though so no hard feelings 🙂

Did WV for the first time this year. We were in block C near the carpark in an 8 man scout tent.

The bedrooms in the scout tent were pretty small - only just about room for a double airbed and we had to sleep with our heads in the doorway facing slightly downhill as the compartment wasn't big enough to rotate the bed 90 degrees. If we'd tried facing 180 degrees in the other direction we'd have had a face full of inner tent lining due to the very sharp angle. 

Loved the peace and quiet. Hill didn't bother me and we actually did it twice a day as we like to go back for a little chill around 5/6pm. 

Only had a bank of 10 compost toilets in our block, which were always clean, but queues could get a bit crazy. Had a very close shave one particular morning! 

Could've really done with a few more food or coffee/tea vendors dotted around I thought. We tended to just get food in the festival, but there were a couple of mornings where we were suffering and could've really done with some hot food before heading out.

I only managed to get a shower on Thursday morning when I randomly woke up at 6am like a kid at Christmas. Friday I was up at 7:30 and the queues were too long for me to bother about. However I'm now reading about separate men and women's queues and women walking straight in and starting to think I might've dropped a clanger there and possibly could've walked in. I just saw a big line of people from a distance and thought fuck that. Lesson learned!

All in all I really enjoyed it, and I like the fact that once you've done the hill, you're straight into a busy bit of the festival, with quick access to Green Fields, stone circle etc. I think with Stincklinch I would find the walk through the campsites a bit of a drag.

55 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Yeah - cars couldn't turn right and had to go left.

We walked left with our bags to Pennard Orchard but there was also a roadblock preventing cars driving up to there unless they were collecting from the glamping.

Thank you for saving my honour 😄.

Signage was a bit shit on the way up as well... we had to drive back and then coming down it was much clearer.

First timer:

Pros:

- first time I’ve ever sat down on a toilet at Glasto in 6 goes

- first time showering too. Didn’t really think the mens queue took long tbh but second time I went there was no space in the changing room but loads of showers free. Would have been good if there was some flooring rather than the stone that was muddy and cold.

- pretty quiet aside from the first night for some reason.

- decent selection of food and drink.

- the distance and difficulty of the journey meant I stayed out in the festival more than ever before.

- the obvious one but no putting up or putting down tents cannot be underestimated

- worth the entry alone was lack of queuing to get in. No traffic to get into the car park. Arrived at 1pm Wednesday in the car park and was in our tent by about 1.45pm.

Cons:

- seemed to be queues at the main toilets at every single hour of the day, even 3am. Must admit in embarrassed to say I didn’t know there were more toilets on the site.

- the path was mental and silly.

- queues at food and coffee vendors was mental.

- lacked a bit of atmosphere. Didn’t really get to know people around us as much as we would if were on the main site.

- leaving Sunday night and they had lined cars up one too many meaning we couldn’t actually get out van out of our row of cars. Luckily another car moved and we used that space otherwise we would have been stuck.

Pros:

Drove straight in and out, no queing. Weds 10am / Mon midday

No queing up to show tickets to get in. 

Showers eventually opening up 24/7!!!!!! Saturday onwards, wish they did that from the start, loved having a shower when got back at 3am togo to bed fresh and wake up fresh. 

Not sure why they are open in the evenings when everyone is watching the headliners?! 

Cons:

When on site, Ques, ques and more ques!!!! 

Mens showers ques were 45 mins long on the Saturday from 7am til 2pm, kept waiting for que to die down but it never did. Womens no ques at all after 11am. 

Showers were warm and private cubicles, communal changing room in a tent on rough outside concrete flooring so feet get dirty after shower, ramp to get up into showers very steep

Toilets as well, we were in G1 furtherest away but had no water taps or toilets, had to use other fields facilties which were quite far to get to and again allways 20+ in que waiting for compost toilets at peak times, the flushing toilet ques were even bigger. 

Food stalls in the morning and evening again massive ques. 20 min wait

Worthy view does take alot of the hassle out of lugging your stuff around and queing up to get into the festival and your putting up your own tent, so just for the convenience it is worth it, the facilities could be better though as in they need more of them for the amount of people there was. 

Our 6 man tent would of been like sardines with 6 of us in it, you wouldn't have been able to put any camping mats down and luggage would of been outside. 

20 hours ago, Cuboid said:

might just be me but the idea of asking a volunteer to lugg my bags in a wheel barrow felt wrong. it's camping not the ritz. 

You PAID to camp. The other 95% of attendees didnt spend at least £300 for extra facilities. So you were already staying at the damn ritz. If you thought it was wrong then dont stay there and let somebody else who would gladly use that option after a long day.