Most Disappointing Set(s)

northernringo

Interesting reading everyone's thoughts on this thread. It was my first Glastonbury so very much a learning curve over the weekend for me - but I definitely preferred either smaller stages OR being close to the front at the main stages, which I was fortunate to do for a handful of sets. 

I can appreciate why a lot didn't rate NGHFB - but I loved it. Stayed put for Macca and it was the best set of the weekend for me - being around 7/8 from the front of the stage. Completely joined in with the Macca-bashing before hand, suggesting he was being wheeled out for it, but it ended up being a festival highlight. 

Dianna Ross was a let down - couldn't hear a thing from the back where we were, it was boiling hot and just generally couldn't enjoy it. Moved on and got a drink, then went to get an early spot in the Avalon tent for McFly - unashamed to say I absolutely loved it. 

Hated the TLC experience too but it was more the overcrowding at West Holts - wish we hadn't bothered. 

19 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

I try and separate football from music, because there’s no reason for petty rivalries and nonsense: it’s the summer, it’s festival season, we’re all people, there’s no reason for division.

So Black Midi shouting ‘what do you think of Tottenham/shit’ etc etc at the end of their set just made me think what a bunch of fucking twats they are 🤷🏻‍♂️ And then I look into it a bit and they’re not even rabid arsenal fans, they’re just . . . Well, I dunno. Seems a weird move to alienate a part of your audience for absolutely no relevant reason 

Surely most people wouldn't take that serious enough to feel alienated... Most football chants are in jest, I'm sure that was the case here as well. 

11 minutes ago, CRW5252 said:

Surely most people wouldn't take that serious enough to feel alienated... Most football chants are in jest, I'm sure that was the case here as well. 

There was similar at the Yard Act set in leftfield, a group of fellas all shouting ‘we all hate Leeds scum’ at the band, who all looked quite baffled by it all. That kind of mindless parochialism just isn’t really appropriate for a festival for me, it’s just shit: black midi can go solidly on my ‘bunch of knobheads’ list accordingly 

9 hours ago, Franco Baresi said:

Saturday afternoon went a bit flat for me, Carl Cox in the Glade 2019 was a real highlight, so I got down there 30 mins before he started. Not sure if it was the new Glade set up, or the set he played with the live band, but it wasn't a patch on 2019 for me, so we wandered up to John Peel for Beabadoobee who i'd heard a few tunes on the radio over the last 12mths that i've liked.  About 15 mins in it seemed to me like she was miming/singing over a recording? might be wrong but once I got it in my head I couldn't get past it, so ended up sacking that off half way through as well.

Glad to know it wasn't just me with beabadoobee. I ditched Asylums because I'd seen then before and really regret it. Either she was miming or the backing track was massively overpowering. The giveaway seems to be the two guitar amps at the back were neither mic'd up, or switched on.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

There was similar at the Yard Act set in leftfield, a group of fellas all shouting ‘we all hate Leeds scum’ at the band, who all looked quite baffled by it all. That kind of mindless parochialism just isn’t really appropriate for a festival for me, it’s just shit: black midi can go solidly on my ‘bunch of knobheads’ list accordingly 

I heard that too. It was so jarring (embarrassing), and really brought home how much a festival ought to be the antithesis of that sort of tribalism

2 hours ago, Chip Batch said:

Also played a load of songs from an album not out yet. My wife didn’t stick it out and I think she made the right choice. 

Can't doubt Black Midi's musical prowess but we had to abandon after 15 mins.  It was like being bludgeoned over the head with a clarinet

10 minutes ago, jimbo_l said:

I heard that too. It was so jarring (embarrassing), and really brought home how much a festival ought to be the antithesis of that sort of tribalism

Division in a place of unity just seems really thick-headed. Bleh. 

Lorde.   It was the only disappointing set for me all weekend, and surprisingly it was one of my top three I was looking forward to.  Got into the back of the front pit and strangely had loads of space all set.  Found it all very flat.  Poor setlist and crowd didn’t really feel up for it.  Was actually going to leave early, but waited for Supercut and Greenlight, but she had lost me by then.  Then got stuck in a huge crush going out to the right of the pit at the end - went nowhere for ages.  Only set I wish I hadn’t gone to.

On 6/28/2022 at 4:02 PM, Spindles said:

It was an event that you either felt a part of and thought it was wonderful or didn't and just felt that the crowd cheered the living shit out of anything for no apparent reason.

This sums it up for me, I like Phoebe Bridgers but that crowd was so wierd, felt like mass hysteria while nothing was happening on stage for me

Also agree with most comments on Libertines but 1. I expect that unfortunately and 2. I think they got much better after the first 20mins or so and seemed to really get into it.

Other than that most sets of the weekend I found really good

On 6/28/2022 at 5:59 PM, The Nal said:

Did anyone expect TLC to be good? I smelled a rat after 30 seconds of the shitty American style club intro guy shouting "throw your hands up" etc.

Exactly, crowd was insane so we were going to leave anyway, as soon as a hype man came on stage we knew we weren't going to be missing anything 

Possibly controversial, but I didn't enjoy Paul McCartney.

As somebody who just likes The Beatles and knows the few big Wings songs, I thought the setlist choice for the first hour or so was absolutely dreadful. I was camped in Kidney Mead, so went to sit back at the tent and just listen from there until he started playing songs I knew.

I came back during Something and enjoyed that up to Hey Jude, at which point I (and a lot of the crowd!) thought he was done, when I left. For me, that 45 minutes salvaged what will probably be my only experience of ever seeing a Beatle play live. Maybe it was the fact that I hyped myself up to see an actual Beatle but it feels more of a "well at least I've seen him now" experience rather than a life-affirming moment like it was for many, which is a bit sad.

19 hours ago, balti-pie said:

That kind of chant, in an unironic way, is certainly out of place. The 'we all hate Tottenham' chant is more jovial. I can see your point though, not really the time or place. 

Really interesting to read everyone's views!  

I pretty much loved everything I saw... got on the barrier for Primal Scream and very nearly bailed after the first four or five songs, but once the choir came on it was fantastic.  The crowd really livened up and the atmosphere was great.  The Libertines were predictably average, and Diana Ross was a funny one.  Was prepared for it to be a bit shit after watching the Jubilee and was pleasantly surprised at the size and liveliness of the crowd.  Everyone I was near was totally up for it and that made up for the poor sound imho.

And Macca was probably the best headliner I've ever seen ... got right near the front and had a lovely bunch of people around me.  You could hear a pin drop when he sung Blackbird, and I'm not ashamed to say I cried several times.  Utterly brilliant.

First three bands I saw were all rather underwhelming - Pigsx7 at Truth on Thursday had a shite and far too quiet sound, and on Friday I don’t know why I bothered with the Libertines - I knew they’d be crap and they didn’t disappoint on that score. And then Wet Leg also had to put up with an inadequate sound, coupled with the fact that live, they’re a bit crap really. 

2 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Seemed to be a lot of love for them around here but I thought Lorde was dull.

I don't think Lorde's set scaled up to the Pyramid.  Some of her newer songs are quiet and more intimate, and the audience energy was low.  Her 2017 set on the Other Stage had more going for it.

20 minutes ago, Calvin Klein said:

Watching the bbc coverage, Diana Ross looked fun. Not amazing but pretty good for a 78 year old. Why so many disappointed? 

I enjoyed it, but it wasn’t perfect. She should have been told that for this slot you play what the audience want, not do three in a row from the new album. And as much as I love ‘I’m Still Waiting’, I thought it a bit optimistic to expect the crowd to sing along unaccompanied. No-one knew the words where I was (apart from me, and there was no way I was going to sing solo and look like a right knob).

1 hour ago, henry bear said:

I enjoyed it, but it wasn’t perfect. She should have been told that for this slot you play what the audience want, not do three in a row from the new album. And as much as I love ‘I’m Still Waiting’, I thought it a bit optimistic to expect the crowd to sing along unaccompanied. No-one knew the words where I was (apart from me, and there was no way I was going to sing solo and look like a right knob).

😂 I take great delight in singing solo and looking like a right knob, I had bizarrely loads of chances to do that at Paul McCartney, the crowd around me were enthusiastic and nice, and all good, but they really weren’t down with anything but the most famous of Beatles songs - I’d have presumed everyone knows the words to ‘she came in through the bathroom window’ but no, it felt like it was just me (and him, obvs) 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, balti-pie said:

😂 I take great delight in singing solo and looking like a right knob, I had bizarrely loads of chances to do that at Paul McCartney, the crowd around me were enthusiastic and nice, and all good, but they really weren’t down with anything but the most famous of Beatles songs - I’d have presumed everyone knows the words to ‘she came in through the bathroom window’ but no, it felt like it was just me (and him, obvs) 

I hadn't had enough ciders by then! In contrast, I don't think there was much of Macca's set that I didn't sing along to 

2 hours ago, balti-pie said:

My experience exactly. I think my vocals for 'Ive just seen a face' blocked Paul's for most of the kids around me tbh!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1