Most Disappointing Set(s)

northernringo

4 hours ago, Troop Dogg said:

First half of Macca was a struggle, love everything he's done but he definitely lost the crowd. Second half of Macca was amazing! Never been to a show of 2 such strikingly different halves!

Thoroughly enjoyed every other set I saw!

This is why it was the only slightly disappointing set I saw. I was lucky enough to see the 2004 performance and it just didn't grab me like that one did. Having seen the rest of the set list , I'm glad I made the decision to catch Jamie T instead. 

Struggling to think of anything that disappointed really, was happy with everything I saw.

Only thing I can think of is my mate deciding he wanted to see Fatboy slim at the Gas Tower when we were at San Remo about half hour before he came on. Trudged down to the SE corner, took about an hour and when we got there it was obviously rammed, and it could have been anyone on stage playing. It was his first time though and I'd been pretty much left in charge of who we saw all weekend, so if he wanted to see someone I was happy to go.

Not a music set, but did anyone catch the "comedy" hypnotists in Astrolabe on Thursday night? Most cringeworthy thing I've ever seen! 12 people pretending to be hypnotised, most got sent off stage over the course of the show and by the end of it only one was even responding to anything the hypnotists said but they just carried on regardless. Half the audience walked out. We only stayed out of morbid curiosity to see how they would end the show. Absolute car crash! 

On 6/28/2022 at 3:39 PM, Chip Batch said:

Black Midi were hard work, which was sort of to be expected but i didn't enjoy it. 

my mate during black midi "not sure how much more of this dirge we can stand".

58 minutes ago, Cream Soda said:

Not a music set, but did anyone catch the "comedy" hypnotists in Astrolabe on Thursday night? Most cringeworthy thing I've ever seen! 12 people pretending to be hypnotised, most got sent off stage over the course of the show and by the end of it only one was even responding to anything the hypnotists said but they just carried on regardless. Half the audience walked out. We only stayed out of morbid curiosity to see how they would end the show. Absolute car crash! 

Saw him years ago, sounds like nothing has changed.  Twisted carbaret on before were great

1 hour ago, found home in 2009 said:

It would be boring if we all liked the same things, but I thought Springsteen was brilliant and Neil Young bored me to tears that year

Fully on board with this - horses for courses and all of that. And a lot of it is down to circumstance - what you've seen earlier that day, whether you managed to find your mates again, whether your feet are hurting, if there are w*nkers talking through the whole set etc. 

In 2013 there were some hooray henrys right next to us for the whole Rolling Stones set - it was too packed for us to move anywhere - and they gibbered and talked over the whole thing - even "Wild Horses" - and chatted down the phone to people "yah I'm at glaaaastonbury at the Rolling Stones yah" - so I reckon other people would have had a classic top 5 gig experience, we certainly did not. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Couldnt hear at the time - cos I couldnt hear much of anything - but it's as clear as day when you watch the footage.

I was at the very front for TLC and had a great time, miming or not (I didn't notice tbh)

42 minutes ago, scmusic said:

Fully on board with this - horses for courses and all of that. And a lot of it is down to circumstance - what you've seen earlier that day, whether you managed to find your mates again, whether your feet are hurting, if there are w*nkers talking through the whole set etc. 

In 2013 there were some hooray henrys right next to us for the whole Rolling Stones set - it was too packed for us to move anywhere - and they gibbered and talked over the whole thing - even "Wild Horses" - and chatted down the phone to people "yah I'm at glaaaastonbury at the Rolling Stones yah" - so I reckon other people would have had a classic top 5 gig experience, we certainly did not. 

I was disappointed with Stones as well. Waited ages on a mate who then at the last minute decided he actually couldn't be bothered going to see the Stones then was involved in a crush at the back. I went away thinking they were old men that were past it, but maybe if I'd had a better start to the evening I would have loved it.

I know Celeste is incredibly talented but I can’t help just finding her awkward and boring.

Just before she came on Mr Amfy realised he’d left his asthma inhaler and would have to go back for it. I said we should wait til after Celeste as I know he loves her. Two songs in I said ‘I’ll go back for your inhaler’.

9 hours ago, Quark said:

Also, does anyone know what happened to the start of Nightmares On Wax's set? Start was delayed by 30 mins and got a shortened set as a result, but haven't seen anything explaining why.

It was probably him being a dick. He was supposed to play Shindig a couple of weeks ago and didn't show up on the night, played the next night instead and was absolute shit. Barely phoned it in. I won't bother with him again.

I thought Squid were a bit of a let down too which is a real shame as I've been wanting to see them for a while. Kinda messed with their own tunes too much and had a lot of distorted / noise breakdowns that milked it a bit and sucked the fun out of the set.

2 minutes ago, pilton digger said:

It was probably him being a dick. He was supposed to play Shindig a couple of weeks ago and didn't show up on the night, played the next night instead and was absolute shit. Barely phoned it in. I won't bother with him again.

Interesting. I was quite far back, had only really gone there to flake out for an hour so it kinda did the job.

Did I see you and Dee at Newdad? Thought I did, then turned to watch the stage for a  it, turned to wonder over and you'd gone! Sunday afternoon so entirely possible I was hallucinating by that point...

2 hours ago, amfy said:

I know Celeste is incredibly talented but I can’t help just finding her awkward and boring.

Just before she came on Mr Amfy realised he’d left his asthma inhaler and would have to go back for it. I said we should wait til after Celeste as I know he loves her. Two songs in I said ‘I’ll go back for your inhaler’.

I hate to say it, but yeah. I think we saw about one track and moved on. Sound didn’t seem great and it was hard work. Got to Haim and they were killing it. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Quark said:

Did I see you and Dee at Newdad? Thought I did, then turned to watch the stage for a  it, turned to wonder over and you'd gone! Sunday afternoon so entirely possible I was hallucinating by that point...

Yes, we were there and Dee saw you but you were busy. We stayed for that and then Mush. I thought newdad were good, even if the vocals were a bit down in the mix.

9 minutes ago, pilton digger said:

Yes, we were there and Dee saw you but you were busy. We stayed for that and then Mush. I thought newdad were good, even if the vocals were a bit down in the mix.

Ah bugger, in that case I have no idea where I thought you'd gone 😂

I try and separate football from music, because there’s no reason for petty rivalries and nonsense: it’s the summer, it’s festival season, we’re all people, there’s no reason for division.

So Black Midi shouting ‘what do you think of Tottenham/shit’ etc etc at the end of their set just made me think what a bunch of fucking twats they are 🤷🏻‍♂️ And then I look into it a bit and they’re not even rabid arsenal fans, they’re just . . . Well, I dunno. Seems a weird move to alienate a part of your audience for absolutely no relevant reason