Most Disappointing Set(s)

northernringo

40 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Started to realise that when I turn up my nose at artists like Billie and Olivia then thats on me being a grumpy old man as they turned out to be two of the most enjoyable sets of the weekend for me.  Going to start embracing that inner teenage girl in me more as my kids clearly know more about music now than me 😄 

The last song was incredible.

Absolutely love this. 

16 hours ago, briddj said:

Just watched it on iplayer. Atmosphere looked immense but glad I changed my mind earlier in the day and went to South East Corner early. Looked a bit of a mess all round. 

Nah was perfectly good, Jamie T doing Jamie T songs, crowd well up for it. Everyone I was with loved it, even the casual fans that were with us. Granted he's not 00s Pete Doherty but was the kinda indie singalong that isn't affected by a wasted frontman. 

19 minutes ago, Troop Dogg said:

First half of Macca was a struggle, love everything he's done but he definitely lost the crowd. Second half of Macca was amazing! Never been to a show of 2 such strikingly different halves!

Thoroughly enjoyed every other set I saw!

The crowd reminded me of Radiohead 2017 to be honest - wot no Creep in the opening 3 tracks? BORING.

We had people around us complaining during Blackbird, I mean come on! If that's not doing it for them then sorry but there was never any hope. He could have chopped all wings + solo stuff from the set and they'd still be moaning that it wasn't a 3 hour extended version of Hey Jude.

42 minutes ago, FrancisH said:

The crowd reminded me of Radiohead 2017 to be honest - wot no Creep in the opening 3 tracks? BORING.

We had people around us complaining during Blackbird, I mean come on! If that's not doing it for them then sorry but there was never any hope. He could have chopped all wings + solo stuff from the set and they'd still be moaning that it wasn't a 3 hour extended version of Hey Jude.

Think it's more the fact that an 80 year old doesn't offer much to a crowd of people largely in their 30s and 40s.

There have been endless attempts for big fans to see him. It was fine as a booking, but the lack of any real enticing alternative really cornered a lot of us into seeing him and being incredibly bored.

29 minutes ago, Porcelina said:

Think it's more the fact that an 80 year old doesn't offer much to a crowd of people largely in their 30s and 40s.

There have been endless attempts for big fans to see him. It was fine as a booking, but the lack of any real enticing alternative really cornered a lot of us into seeing him and being incredibly bored.

Was pretty gutted to miss Roisin Murphy and Jamie T tbh but each to their own!

Not a set as such, but I was incredibly let down by Beam.  We pottered in there for a final chill on Sunday night, but there's just no point with it being so close to Greenpeace stage & tree. I'd not got round to visiting it before this year so I don't know if things have moved and it worked better in previous years, but it's hard to get immersed in ambient sound and visuals when all you can hear is (admittedly banging) techno outside.

Also, does anyone know what happened to the start of Nightmares On Wax's set? Start was delayed by 30 mins and got a shortened set as a result, but haven't seen anything explaining why.

9 minutes ago, Quark said:

Not a set as such, but I was incredibly let down by Beam.  We pottered in there for a final chill on Sunday night, but there's just no point with it being so close to Greenpeace stage & tree. I'd not got round to visiting it before this year so I don't know if things have moved and it worked better in previous years, but it's hard to get immersed in ambient sound and visuals when all you can hear is (admittedly banging) techno outside.

Also, does anyone know what happened to the start of Nightmares On Wax's set? Start was delayed by 30 mins and got a shortened set as a result, but haven't seen anything explaining why.

I think WH just had sound issues and false starts throughout the weekend, probably just an elusive loose cable!

19 minutes ago, Quark said:

Maybe they were also confused why they were 6th down and not headlining and struggled to get their set ready in time as a result

48 minutes ago, FrancisH said:

Was pretty gutted to miss Roisin Murphy and Jamie T tbh but each to their own!

There were perfectly good options but just nothing that was going to take a big chunk of the crowd. Phoebe Bridgers, Calvin Harris or someone of similar size headlining the Other would have been one easy option.

Edited by Porcelina

16 minutes ago, Porcelina said:

There were perfectly good options but just nothing that was going to take a big chunk of the crowd. Phoebe Bridgers, Calvin Harris or someone of similar size headlining the Other would have been one easy option.

By all accounts Roisin smashed it, and Megan does fill that pop act gap. I think most would agree there was a lot of alternatives to Macca, unfortunately it just didn't line up for you which is a shame, but think it's unusual to say he doesn't offer anything to 30 - 40 year olds? May as well do away with Sunday legends slot then!

I'm early 30s and most people my age love the Beatles or grew up listening to them through parents. I thought Maccas set was one of the all time greatest pyramid sets I have personally seen. He played more Beatles tracks than the Rolling Stones did of their own tunes in their whole pyramid set, played all the best wings tunes and brought out 2 genuinely surprising and huge guests. I don't really know what people wanted or expected sorry! 

Saturday afternoon went a bit flat for me, Carl Cox in the Glade 2019 was a real highlight, so I got down there 30 mins before he started. Not sure if it was the new Glade set up, or the set he played with the live band, but it wasn't a patch on 2019 for me, so we wandered up to John Peel for Beabadoobee who i'd heard a few tunes on the radio over the last 12mths that i've liked.  About 15 mins in it seemed to me like she was miming/singing over a recording? might be wrong but once I got it in my head I couldn't get past it, so ended up sacking that off half way through as well.

On 6/28/2022 at 3:11 PM, Mark0 said:

Calvin Harris , gave up in the end 

Yeah what was that bout - i know Arcadia has a reputation for poor sound, but we stood and listened to Kurupt FM and then Four Tet and the sound was fine, then they seemed to turn it down for Calvin Harris, who opened with radio edits of his tunes that were, well radio edits. Gave it 3 / 4 songs and fucked off. 

6 minutes ago, Franco Baresi said:

Saturday afternoon went a bit flat for me, Carl Cox in the Glade 2019 was a real highlight, so I got down there 30 mins before he started. Not sure if it was the new Glade set up, or the set he played with the live band, but it wasn't a patch on 2019 for me, so we wandered up to John Peel for Beabadoobee who i'd heard a few tunes on the radio over the last 12mths that i've liked.  About 15 mins in it seemed to me like she was miming/singing over a recording? might be wrong but once I got it in my head I couldn't get past it, so ended up sacking that off half way through as well.

If you left before the end that's a real shame - it was definitely a set that built and built and built, and the bit after the band was the most fun I had all festival.

I went to Glass Animals thinking it was going to be fun (and then unfortunately lost HAIM set) and the first half was absolutely terrible. Bad sound, people off and a weird vibe. Improved since "Youth" and was a bit decent at the end but still, I was expecting something else.

4 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

Compared to who or what ?  Macca did fuck all Visually...  Despite that totally cringe Lennon video...

Did you go from your sofa to the loo during Live and Let Die? 

The crowd loved the song and all the fireworks where I was, indeed the one thing that's obvious from this thread is that a lot is discussion is clearly subjective. 

• Upvote 1

On 6/28/2022 at 3:52 PM, scmusic said:

I hate to say this sounds a bit like my experience with Springsteen in 2009 - a near-three-hour set with a lot of "here's something off my folk album" before you got to the singalongs... it was asking a lot and I remember my legs KILLING halfway through. Mind you that year he was in contention with Neil Young (utter barnstormer of a headline set) and followed by Blur on the Sunday (EPIC) so it's all perspective I guess. 

It would be boring if we all liked the same things, but I thought Springsteen was brilliant and Neil Young bored me to tears that year

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, BambooShanks said:

TLC - Maybe it was how uncomfortably packed it was, maybe it was because it was only the hype man that was actually live but either way, no scrubs aside it was a pretty disappointing set.

Apart from that, everything was pretty damn good though an honourable mention goes to Rufus Wainwright's interpretation of Annie which was so terrible it had my friend curled up in the foetal position, cradling his head wishing it was all over.

I caught a bit of this from afar.  I cringed so hard I swear I turned inside out.  What a pretentious w*nker he is.