Most Disappointing Set(s)

northernringo

I don't think anyone outright disappointed me, but some stuff that comes to mind...

- TLC were what I expected. Fun sing-along but couldn't recommend them.

- Yves Tumor mid-afternoon on West Holts was just a weird place for him. Couldn't get into it.

- Nightmares on Wax must have had some pre-set issues they were sorting so they only did a few songs. Ended as soon as it seemed to get going. Saw him DJ at San Remo later though and that was great fun

I am watching now Billie set and oh my god I am so glad I decided to go to Foals (they smashed it).

It looks super dull and the people is totally off, the voice in the background it makes it look weird when she doesn't have her own fanbase in front. Such a difference from Kendrick show, where you can even feel the crowd singing all the songs so loud (even N95).

Edited by AlexOvd

Just Diana Ross. I actually enjoyed everything else I watched.

Would say Wet Leg due to the crowd levels but being forced from there to see Blossoms was great due to the Mel C bit - I love Blossoms anyway and the only reason I didn't watch them originally is I've seen them twice in the last two months so can hardly be too disappointed.

I tried Billie Eilish, did nothing for me but didn't expect it to. Watched some Foals then came back for Happier Than Ever and it was amazing so think I did it right. 

Edited by efcfanwirral

23 hours ago, hodgey123 said:

Re the old Glade part, me and my mates were in the old Glade (now Glade Dome) for a good hour until we realised we may be in the wrong place watching Stanton Warriors rather than Camelphat

We went for Camelphat who were drowned out by the sound from Glade Dome. We didn't stay long! Found a chilled bar with sofas up in the Park instead. 

6 hours ago, tazbang said:

Has anyone mentioned Jamie T?

Seemed half-cut to me, slurry even for Jamie T, kept getting his belly out for some reason, had zero production (just played in front of a green background), mentioned being unrehearsed multiple times and you could tell. Something was going on between him and his label, but it was all a bit mumbled so couldn't tell you what.

His crowd was huge and enthusiastic though, so it might just be me who was disappointed.

Just watched it on iplayer. Atmosphere looked immense but glad I changed my mind earlier in the day and went to South East Corner early. Looked a bit of a mess all round. 

7 hours ago, tazbang said:

Has anyone mentioned Jamie T?

Seemed half-cut to me, slurry even for Jamie T, kept getting his belly out for some reason, had zero production (just played in front of a green background), mentioned being unrehearsed multiple times and you could tell. Something was going on between him and his label, but it was all a bit mumbled so couldn't tell you what.

His crowd was huge and enthusiastic though, so it might just be me who was disappointed.

He signed the contract with his label when he was 19 or something, it's finally finished with either his last/next album. That's why he was a mess, celebrating that particular fact. I can kind of understand but just wait til after you're set. He looked absolutely off his trolley on iplayer can only imagine it was worse in person. 

Billie was definitely singing live. She called out a vocal backing track during getting older. (In her tour she usually runs between two stages during getting older, so has vocals in the backing track as an intro). I thought the crowd were decent, obviously less enthused than a tour crowd would be, the people stood next to me were only there on the off chance she'd bring Harry Styles out. 

I think Diana Ross. The crowd had great vibes but anytime she spoke I didn’t hear a thing and the singing itself was pretty poor.

Calvin Harris also. Was so crushed in I was only a bit past the toilets so couldn’t see anything. Just left outside to the Arcadia campsite and listened for a while but it pretty much seemed like a mix tape and didn’t sound like he was there.

Then finally Mc Fly. The sound was fantastic but given the tent stage I couldn’t see them at all apart from an odd time. Wish they were on a better stage or they put a screen up for those a bit outside the tent.

there was nobody this year i REALLY wanted to see, so i guess therefore i didnt find anyone dissapointing.

everyone i did see was great.

with the single exception of one act - everyone else i was with had seen him support NIN the week before and so wanted to see Yves Tumor on JazzWorld... i had nothing better to do so tagged along...

i wouldnt say i was dissapointed, just thought it was absolute shite.

still - i did get some nice haloumi fries so not a total waste.

25 minutes ago, Chubby Dude in a Tiny Car said:

there was nobody this year i REALLY wanted to see, so i guess therefore i didnt find anyone dissapointing.

everyone i did see was great.

with the single exception of one act - everyone else i was with had seen him support NIN the week before and so wanted to see Yves Tumor on JazzWorld... i had nothing better to do so tagged along...

i wouldnt say i was dissapointed, just thought it was absolute shite.

still - i did get some nice haloumi fries so not a total waste.

I saw him at NIN and he was good and i was disappointed to miss him (due to clashes) so you have helped! 

I thought Billie sounded great (definitely sounded live, with the overdubs or whatever also clearly heard but separate), but the staging was a total pain in the arse. I've never had such a bad view of an artist in the pit, I saw more of Macca and Diana Ross about 3x further back.

I don't know if her stage was set lower than others? Or if it was because she moved around so much without a spot light. Or if it was because she kept laying down ... I don't know. We moved back and got a bit of a better view, but I think it put a lot of the crowd off.

Anybody else in the pit find similar? I am only 5ft7 so maybe that didn't help. 

A lot of the crowd even in the pit didn't seem like big fans, lots of waiting around for Bad Guy I think.

3 minutes ago, Justcalledtosay said:

Had to laugh at this thread. Pretty much the entirety of acts i saw over the weekend have been mentioned in some form.

We should probably shut the forum down for a week after Glastonbury until everyone's serotonin levels have been restored. 😆

• Like 1

TLC - Maybe it was how uncomfortably packed it was, maybe it was because it was only the hype man that was actually live but either way, no scrubs aside it was a pretty disappointing set.

Apart from that, everything was pretty damn good though an honourable mention goes to Rufus Wainwright's interpretation of Annie which was so terrible it had my friend curled up in the foetal position, cradling his head wishing it was all over.