Most Disappointing Set(s)

northernringo

5 hours ago, Stokesy10 said:

That blows my mind. It was one of the greatest sets I've ever witnessed, musically and visually astounding. Everyone around me was gobsmacked.

Totally agree. I’m not a fan, but was blown away. The crowd was fantastic too. Bloody superb set from PSB!

2 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

This is true.

Indeed, make eye contact, indicate you're trying to get out and all should be well.  Only time I've seen people get aggie and prevent someone from getting out was Paul Simon and someone being a bellend when an obviously overheated and distressed young lady was trying to escape.  Only time at the festival I've ever felt like screaming at someone in anger.  We helped the young lady through and exited ourselves, any hope of enjoying the gig over.

Some surprising choices in here. Primal Scream started poorly but once the gospel choir came out I thought it was excellent. Loved Plant and Krauss but agree it would have been better on a smaller stage.

Ross was as I'd have expected, I'll give her a pass for the sound issues but if I was hoping to be pleasantly surprised, I wasn't. 

Macca was outstanding. How dare he play some less well known songs.

Only disappointment was Asylums, sadly a very sparse crowd didn't get any atmosphere going.

5 hours ago, Punksnotdead said:

Say what? I watched it on TV and I've rarely seen a band so obviously enjoying themselves (the 2 girls anyway) - laughing amongst themselves at the size of the crowd. Check out their reaction to the scream in Ur Mum! An absolute joy to watch!

Between songs they cracked a smile but while playing they were really static. I thought at the time they were cheasily over-acting at the scream bit. Looks even more so on TV. Maybe it's just me, but every single act I saw for the rest of the festival absolutely blew it out the water.

1 hour ago, phillyfaddle said:

Totally agree. I’m not a fan, but was blown away. The crowd was fantastic too. Bloody superb set from PSB!

Aye they were great. 

Tbh I do recall them being a bit more theatrical last time they played, in terms of dancers and other things, but I may be misremembering. 

1 hour ago, Gnomicide said:

Some surprising choices in here. Primal Scream started poorly but once the gospel choir came out I thought it was excellent.

It improved, but I thought the mix was a bit all over the place tbh.  Choir were too loud in parts & it just didnt sound right to me.

Edited by FuzzyDunlop
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, jimmillen said:

Oh wow. Was joyous IRL! 

This. Like her but not a massive fan but she was fabulous. Had me in tears. 

Macca was also amazing. Can’t believe the naysayers on that one.  

Edited by Levitz

3 hours ago, clarkete said:

Did you really form this opinion seeing her at the pyramid in the flesh, or on tv? 

Seems an odd take away, as the huge crowd around me were just there having a lot of fun singing along to hear tunes. 

I quite enjoyed the set at the time and am not qualified to comment on the dementia point, but I commented at the time that she didn’t have the presence of a Dolly/Lionel/Kylie. 

Watching a video back of Baby Love her voice is so weak it sounds like bad karaoke - her backing singers were noticeably far stronger when they were named towards the end of the set. All in all it was a bit sad.

On topic but separate, I thought Calvin Harris was terrible. Uninspired setlist, terrible sound quality (was stood at the top of the field, outside of the spider), he didn’t event say hello or goodbye, people left in droves… Would be gutted if I had specifically paid for it.

6 hours ago, gordong said:

I am a massive Bicep fan, caught them two nights in a row in Brixton last year. 

Pains me to say but I feel like I’m slightly going off them. Their live show is really heavy these days - they’ve moved away from the lighter, melodic stuff (Higher Level Remix, In Yer Face Remix, Sacrifice, You) into really pounding electronic/techno. Appreciate some of those songs listed are around ten years old now. 

I'd love to hear in yer face remix live.

Clairo was a rough one for me, impossible to hear her for a lot of the set and i was like 5 rows from the front. Calvin was fun for what it was, a 'showcase set', my group were very happy he played the bangers and not a proper dj set to be honest. Wet leg were naff, not helped by how busy it was and poor sound too

3 minutes ago, MikeandSan said:

Diana Ross for me. Far too quiet. Probably where I was stood though. I found Glasto stages so much quieter than other festivals. I'm a bit weird and want my ears to hurt. Hate hearing other people's conversations!

Depends on the stage I think. Some of the stages in SE corner and Silver Hayes were ridiculously loud, but agree that most of the main stages are generally pretty quiet. 

1 hour ago, David Gray (90+2) said:

Elbow, I mean it's hard to say disappointing when you have zero expectations for them but christ it was awful. Third last on the Pyramid in the year 2022.

Not to your taste maybe, but it wasn't a 'disappointing set'. Decent sized crowd seemed to enjoy it.

1 hour ago, David Gray (90+2) said:

Elbow, I mean it's hard to say disappointing when you have zero expectations for them but christ it was awful. Third last on the Pyramid in the year 2022.

Why did you watch them if you had zero expectations? Presumably you were getting a space for whoever was on next?

I had high expectations and I loved it. 

Has anyone mentioned Jamie T?

Seemed half-cut to me, slurry even for Jamie T, kept getting his belly out for some reason, had zero production (just played in front of a green background), mentioned being unrehearsed multiple times and you could tell. Something was going on between him and his label, but it was all a bit mumbled so couldn't tell you what.

His crowd was huge and enthusiastic though, so it might just be me who was disappointed.

7 minutes ago, Kalopsia said:

Just didn't get into Metronomy or Glass Animals at all. I was really looking forward to them both.

Really don't care much for Glass Animals now they're TikTok darlings but I loved Metronomy. Thought that was one of the best sets I've seen from them - perfect summer-y Saturday afternoon set.

Easy Life for me, I cleared my whole clashfinder and was buzzing to see them. When they came out they were completely not what I expected. They were super cringey made my skin crawl a bit. Their lad persona was the worst. It really put me in a weird place mood wise. I know these are all ‘me’ problems but then their set was also a bit of a shambles. The singer tried to crowd surf but didn’t give the crowd warning and sunk. Then They bought out Kevin Abstract who proceeded to forget his verse (I felt for them then tbf)

32 minutes ago, GeezLouise said:

Easy Life for me, I cleared my whole clashfinder and was buzzing to see them. When they came out they were completely not what I expected. They were super cringey made my skin crawl a bit. Their lad persona was the worst. It really put me in a weird place mood wise. I know these are all ‘me’ problems but then their set was also a bit of a shambles. The singer tried to crowd surf but didn’t give the crowd warning and sunk. Then They bought out Kevin Abstract who proceeded to forget his verse (I felt for them then tbf)

My thoughts exactly, he just gives off a really bad vibe. I was really excited to see them, I love a few of their songs, but it was easily the worst thing I watched all weekend. It really had me cringing at points. 

Though I think Kevin forgot to turn his mic on rather than forgot his verse. 

1 hour ago, Gnomicide said:

Why did you watch them if you had zero expectations? Presumably you were getting a space for whoever was on next?

I finished up at Diana Ross, went and got some food and came back to go to the loos nearby. Caught more of it than I would have liked because of queues, that's for sure. And no I wasn't getting a space for Lorde.

37 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

My thoughts exactly, he just gives off a really bad vibe. I was really excited to see them, I love a few of their songs, but it was easily the worst thing I watched all weekend. It really had me cringing at points. 

Though I think Kevin forgot to turn his mic on rather than forgot his verse. 

I watched it on iplayer (to show my partner how immediately hate-able they were) and I’m pretty sure he forgot his verse but  I really hope it was his mic for his sake. Super unprofessional otherwise. 

4 minutes ago, GeezLouise said:

I watched it on iplayer (to show my partner how immediately hate-able they were) and I’m pretty sure he forgot his verse but  I really hope it was his mic for his sake. Super unprofessional otherwise. 

To be fair, the band said after that he forgot his verse, so that's probably right, I just assumed they were doing that to cover the fact he didn't turn his mic on.

Because from where we were standing I thought it looked like he was rapping, but no sound was coming out of his mic at all, you could just about make out something through the other mics on stage, then I thought he looked at his mic, did something, and we could suddenly hear him clearly... 

Will have to watch it back. 

EDIT: Just watched it back he totally did forget his words, sorry... 

Edited by Alvoram
  • Thanks 1