Most Disappointing Set(s)

northernringo

37 minutes ago, Quark said:

Anyway, none for me. Certainly  nothing I'd call disappointing. Can honestly say that I didn't leave a single set this year regretting it or wishing I'd been somewhere else.

Yes, the vocals for  DiRo weren't the best, but from where we were a lot of that was down to sound and mic volumes. Ok McCartney wasn't as life changing as some had predicted, but it was a massive singalong party with a few dips here and there.

Technical glitches did seem to be the order of the day. Truth, Pyramid and Lonely Hearts Club all had a couple of issues.

Caribou too had to leave the stage due to technical issues at one point (although they smashed it other than that, as usual). 

1 hour ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Television tells only half-truths when you're not there in the flesh, but was left frustratingly cold by Self Esteem. Wish it had not been the case, but got to the end of her John Peel set on iPlayer and felt maddeningly indifferent.

Near us I saw numerous people in tears. One of my weekend highlights. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, gordong said:

Saw Gabriels at Lonely Hearts Club on Sunday and the crowd managed stop the set cause the sound was so bad. 

Everyone screaming to turn the vocals up and pointing up. It did work in the end. 

Sound for them at the park was great. Surprised you couldn’t hear his voice even without a microphone considering the power he has.

i do always wonder what some sound engineers are listening to. Are they judging via headphones? Surely if the whole audience can’t hear, they can’t either?

Just now, gigpusher said:

Near us I saw numerous people in tears. One of my weekend highlights. 

I had a close friend who tracked her sets all over the weekend, and waxed lyrical with every interaction. It definitely feels like one that should have delivered, so I wish I knew what it was. (I am very glad that everyone there had a cracker though! That's great news.)

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

Only saw the last 20 or so of Simz and it was very meh.

Saw her at EOTR last year and she knocked it out of the park. Nailed it. 

Including the two Cleo Sol songs then? I thought they were one of the highlights. If you're gonna review it at least come and see the whole thing 😜

Television tells only half-truths when you're not there in the flesh, but was left frustratingly cold by Self Esteem. Wish it had not been the case, but got to the end of her John Peel set on iPlayer and felt maddeningly indifferent.

I saw her and she went down very well up at the tent and sounded great. 

1 hour ago, faymondo said:

Avalanches for me. I am sure when I seen them last time at West Holts there was more going out and not just two fellas doing a DJ set ??

I thought others also knew it would be a DJ set, as we did? 

2 hours ago, 504329lt said:

Thought Pigs x7 were disappointing.  They should bring back Napalm Death for a Thursday singalong on the Truth Stage.  Pronghorn on the Thursday at The Rocket Lounge made up for it though... 

Pronghorn were absolutely brilliant, highlight of my Thursday. 

She was absolutely fantastic in the flesh and we were surrounded by crying emotional women lost in the moment. 

• Like 1

Bonobo were not as good as expected as I was down the front and there was far too much bass. I love the new album but it was hard to hear the delicate bits because of the bass. It was still enjoyable though, but not the highlight I expected. 

Wet Leg were probably playing pubs 6 months ago so I didn’t expect much from them, nice atmosphere though. I remember thinking the same about The XX at one of their early gigs, by the time they played the Pyramid they were brilliant. Hopefully Wet Leg will improve too. 

29 minutes ago, clarkete said:
1 hour ago, faymondo said:

Avalanches for me. I am sure when I seen them last time at West Holts there was more going out and not just two fellas doing a DJ set ??

I thought others also knew it would be a DJ set, as we did? 

Ahh well win some you lose some. Stayed for the whole thing and had a few "moments" 

With hindsight would have went to Noel and got a better speck for Macca.

2 hours ago, MEGABOWL said:

Beabadoobee on the JP. Good tunes but absolutely zero stage presence

Gabriels on Lonely Hearts Club was ruined by sound issues.

Thats it really which is pretty good

Yeh why was his mic so quiet for so long?! And then when we basically screamed them to stop and sort it, it still wasn’t loud enough 

18 minutes ago, adequate8 said:

Yeh why was his mic so quiet for so long?! And then when we basically screamed them to stop and sort it, it still wasn’t loud enough 

I really felt for them. They were late IIRC and then needed the audience to help fix the sound. Shame.

3 hours ago, gigpusher said:

I have seen Simbi live at her own gig and it was wonderful but just hard to get in the moment when people are talking all around you. 

Exactly this. 

Saw her at APE in it was unreal, crowd were really up for it and she was on top form. 

No complaints about her performance at Glasto, but crowd were dead. 

3 minutes ago, e_p said:

I didn’t want to say that she looked completely confused and potentially has dementia 

Did you really form this opinion seeing her at the pyramid in the flesh, or on tv? 

Seems an odd take away, as the huge crowd around me were just there having a lot of fun singing along to hear tunes. 

Wet Leg. Way too packed in The Park. We got a pretty decent spot, but it got so busy and I was with my 11 year old and so decided to move back before they started in case it got rowdy. Then all we could hear was the sound from the Bimble, moved back  again and could really here or see shit. Was really keen for that one too. 

5 hours ago, Chip Batch said:
5 hours ago, benc said:

the sound was awful for Diana - the crowd did a lot of the leg work and it was enjoyable for that reason

We were sat right at the very back by the toilets on the raised bit. The sound for the first 20 mins was terrible but someone must have told them to turn it up, maybe the camerman in the BBC crane 😛. After that it was great, sounded good to us working our way through a litre of Pimms brought out for the occasion, we had a party , as did the crowd. Haven't watched it back on iplayer yet to see how bad she was but as said sounded good when we got it.