Most Disappointing Set(s)

northernringo

I didn’t really see anything I didn’t enjoy, but maybe The Avalanches felt like a bit of a let down - it was all a bit stop/start for me and the vibes never properly got going. Gutted as we tried to see them at W Holts the other year but was all a bit quiet then, so was extra looking forward to a 2022 redemption that never properly transpired. Pity!

I found the sound at The Park a bit odd in general anyway, the vocals at Warmduscher & JARV IS weren’t very clear - not that it spoiled it, just maybe could’ve been a bit crisper. We didn’t really see much else over there other than Jack White (at the back) - which was every bit as good as I hoped. 

The sound of Wet Leg while not in the front was embarrassing and amateur. I heard that people complained about the same in Primavera Sound so this is not even a coincidence. 

I was located next to the sound tower and my phone could sound louder than them. They need to fire their sound engineers ASAP. 

Edited by AlexOvd

37 minutes ago, jparx said:

We were stuck in the middle of the crowd, but thanks for the advice.

19 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

No. Stuck next to a lot of human beings who themselves cannot really move. So the choice is to just shove your way out annoying dozens of people, or stay where you are until the set ends.

People will always, always let you move back from the stage in a straight line - people naturally want to be closer. Moving towards the stage is tough, but if you ask politely I have never had someone stop me leaving a stage out the back.

4 minutes ago, FLB said:

Also, anyone who forgot where they were and decided to do a speech about Roe vs Wade.

You mean, at one of the most political festivals in the world?

2 minutes ago, Isaact said:

People will always, always let you move back from the stage in a straight line - people naturally want to be closer. Moving towards the stage is tough, but if you ask politely I have never had someone stop me leaving a stage out the back.

You mean, at one of the most political festivals in the world?

I think the issue is more that there's so much in the UK political landscape to take aim at. 

Lot of people saying Bicep were incredible, weirdly I thought they seemed quite flat.

Maybe it was where I was stood but the crowd just seemed like a bunch of wronguns with no interest in the tunes talking to each other loudly. Had hoped for another special WH headliner like justice or hot chip so maybe I hyped it up too.

Wasn't too gutted because we caught a lot of PSB who smashed it.

9 minutes ago, FLB said:

I was a bit disappointed by Bonobo - still enjoyed myself but the new slower stuff felt a bit out of place/quiet and everyone seemed to be talking the entire set.

New Glade was worse than the old one imo.

Also, anyone who forgot where they were and decided to do a speech about Roe vs Wade.

I went to see Bonobo at Royal Albert Hall in May and it was a top 3 all time gig for me. 

I caught around two songs on Friday and left - he just didn’t work on that slot. Too light and too quiet volume wise. 

• Like 1

Anyway, none for me. Certainly  nothing I'd call disappointing. Can honestly say that I didn't leave a single set this year regretting it or wishing I'd been somewhere else.

Yes, the vocals for  DiRo weren't the best, but from where we were a lot of that was down to sound and mic volumes. Ok McCartney wasn't as life changing as some had predicted, but it was a massive singalong party with a few dips here and there.

Technical glitches did seem to be the order of the day. Truth, Pyramid and Lonely Hearts Club all had a couple of issues.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, willgooneday said:

I think the issue is more that there's so much in the UK political landscape to take aim at. 

Bar Lorde was it mentioned by any non-US artists?

Thought all references were particularly powerful, particularly Olivia rodrigo’s

Diana Ross was the only letdown for me - my group were really trying to get into it but  for whenever reason it didn’t land right for us and never really took off.

Loved all the other sets I caught this weekend but that being said do think the issues with sound at Arcadia and West Holts in particular need looking at.

1 minute ago, FrancisH said:

Lot of people saying Bicep were incredible, weirdly I thought they seemed quite flat.

Maybe it was where I was stood but the crowd just seemed like a bunch of wronguns with no interest in the tunes talking to each other loudly. Had hoped for another special WH headliner like justice or hot chip so maybe I hyped it up too.

Wasn't too gutted because we caught a lot of PSB who smashed it.

I am a massive Bicep fan, caught them two nights in a row in Brixton last year. 

Pains me to say but I feel like I’m slightly going off them. Their live show is really heavy these days - they’ve moved away from the lighter, melodic stuff (Higher Level Remix, In Yer Face Remix, Sacrifice, You) into really pounding electronic/techno. Appreciate some of those songs listed are around ten years old now. 

Robert Plant & Alison Krauss.  This was the one must see for me this year.  I have both their albums, which are great.  Last time Robert played he was the highlight of the entire festival for me.  They weren't bad, but it never really came to life.  Alison sounded good, but looked like a wax work and didn't engage with the audience at all.  Robert did a bit more, but it seems a waste having him standing on stage shaking maracas for so much of the time.  Would probably have worked better on a smaller stage.

5 minutes ago, Quark said:

Anyway, none for me. Certainly  nothing I'd call disappointing. Can honestly say that I didn't leave a single set this year regretting it or wishing I'd been somewhere else.

Yes, the vocals for  DiRo weren't the best, but from where we were a lot of that was down to sound and mic volumes. Ok McCartney wasn't as life changing as some had predicted, but it was a massive singalong party with a few dips here and there.

Technical glitches did seem to be the order of the day. Truth, Pyramid and Lonely Hearts Club all had a couple of issues.

Saw Gabriels at Lonely Hearts Club on Sunday and the crowd managed stop the set cause the sound was so bad. 

Everyone screaming to turn the vocals up and pointing up. It did work in the end. 

1 minute ago, gordong said:

Saw Gabriels at Lonely Hearts Club on Sunday and the crowd managed stop the set cause the sound was so bad. 

Everyone screaming to turn the vocals up and pointing up. It did work in the end. 

Yep, that's the one I was at. I was sat further back chilling out, so at first I couldn't tell if he was doing a bit of schtick to get the crowd going.

3 hours ago, moogster said:

I saw him early june at another festival where the crowd was 10 times worse than this. Believe me he seemed much happier at Glasto. Even if not the best crowd he seemed to at least not hope for a magic dragon to come down and end the gig for him, as this is what it looked at at the other festival.

Well that's reassuring in a way, I guess! Hope I'll get to see him again some time.

46 minutes ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Television tells only half-truths when you're not there in the flesh, but was left frustratingly cold by Self Esteem. Wish it had not been the case, but got to the end of her John Peel set on iPlayer and felt maddeningly indifferent.

She was great live - I'm not a particular fan, have just liked the little I've heard, but she was one of my highlights of the weekend.  Will be interesting to watch again on IPlayer.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, gordong said:

I went to see Bonobo at Royal Albert Hall in May and it was a top 3 all time gig for me. 

I caught around two songs on Friday and left - he just didn’t work on that slot. Too light and too quiet volume wise. 

Yep agreed, wish I was able to catch the Albert Hall gig instead!

14 minutes ago, willgooneday said:

Yep exactly.

12 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

Bar Lorde was it mentioned by any non-US artists?

Thought all references were particularly powerful, particularly Olivia rodrigo’s

Skin mentioned it, got it the wrong way around to what she meant to say and still got a cheer!

The first half of Noel was just him rolling through his (not totally bad) solo stuff, of which he was very dismissive about. If he’s not bothered about it, how can he expect the crowd to be. Thought it was a bit odd.

I thought the worst thing about DiRo, above the voice (which doesn’t even need to be perfect for some artists if the show hits the mark) is it didn’t feel special, which I’ve not felt about an artist in the tea time slot before. Felt she treated it like another gig.

There was nothing particularly shambolic that I saw over the weekend, but the odd one that didn't hit the mark.

1 hour ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Television tells only half-truths when you're not there in the flesh, but was left frustratingly cold by Self Esteem. Wish it had not been the case, but got to the end of her John Peel set on iPlayer and felt maddeningly indifferent.

Oh wow. Was joyous IRL!