Most Disappointing Set(s)

northernringo

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

TBH common for a hip hop set. It’s more about the energy they bring than perfect vocals. I’m not expecting her to sound as crisp as she does on record.

But it would have been nice if she brought a full production like she did at Coachella/Prim. This looked weirdly scaled back and last minute. Can’t quite understand why. Even at Parklife last year she had more dancers, fire, and a stage set up. Weird that Glastonbury would be the one you skimp on.

Only if they’re shit MC’s.

2 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Primal Scream. Sound mixing was off for me. 

Should have gone to Paul Heaton & Jacqui Abbott

Funny you should say that, just watched a bit on iPlayer, and the vocals are way too high. We were near the front on the right hand side and thought it sounded great from where we were. If it sounded like it does on iPlayer we would have fucked off somewhere else I think, but it was perfect where we were

1 hour ago, Isaact said:

I take it you missed Carl Cox at Glade on Saturday then? 

The most wild I have seen a crowd at Glastonbury at 3pm in the afternoon, it was probably my electronic highlight of the weekend. Absolutely fantastic.

Proof:

https://imgur.com/a/nrPQ9XG

We sacked Carl Cox off cos it wasnt great. My mate who stayed said as soon as we left, it got really good!

5 minutes ago, mazola said:

Funny you should say that, just watched a bit on iPlayer, and the vocals are way too high. We were near the front on the right hand side and thought it sounded great from where we were. If it sounded like it does on iPlayer we would have fucked off somewhere else I think, but it was perfect where we were

I was near the back. Debated sacking it off to go to the Sonic tent, but watched it all. It never sounded right, all the way through for me.

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

Yungblud secret set on bbc intro stage turned out to be a yungblud and friends dj set. The friends were his guitarist. They weren’t even mixing just pressing play when the last track faded out. They played northern soul whilst dancing around off their faces. Complete waste of time. 

718BC02A-D22B-4B5F-A18E-EA17674F8ABA.jpeg

1 minute ago, Chicken Bob said:

Yungblud secret set on bbc intro stage turned out to be a yungblud and friends dj set. The friends were his guitarist. They weren’t even mixing just pressing play when the last track faded out. They played northern soul whilst dancing around off their faces. Complete waste of time. 

718BC02A-D22B-4B5F-A18E-EA17674F8ABA.jpeg

Sounds better than a Yungblud live set tbf. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Chicken Bob said:

Could’ve just moved away. 

If you're in a tightly packed crowd that is a lot easier said than done. Exact same thing happened to me in Macca, but there really wasn't an easy way out to move without pushing into other people's space.

• Upvote 2

TLC - I haven’t rewatched it, I’m almost 90% sure T-boz (?) was miming. I know I should be impressed if she sounds that similar to the recording, but it’s been 25+ years and I find it hard to believe she still sounds that crisp. Also felt very slow.. was in deep and felt like a lot of people left after a couple of songs.

Di Ross - parents saw her at the O2 on the Thursday and text me warning me. I didn’t listen, glad I went and can say it was a good party vibe. But my god, she nearly perforated my ear drum during chain reaction.

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

Sorry to hear that - it was really good from the pit. One of many weekend highlights.

It was a shame, just glad I caught them at the hometown show! They sounded great, just couldn’t really get in to properly.

Avalanches for me. I am sure when I seen them last time at West Holts there was more going out and not just two fellas doing a DJ set ??

Shame Nightmares On Wax were late (Would love to know why as they seemed ready at 2pm) loved the set they done though and was on the front barrier. 

10 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

If you're in a tightly packed crowd that is a lot easier said than done. Exact same thing happened to me in Macca, but there really wasn't an easy way out to move without pushing into other people's space.

Macca crowd was dire. We left it a bit late I think, but ended up on the hill where I've seen plenty of people and had a good time.

Sound was a bit off and people seemed bored by anything that wasn't a stone-cold Beatles classic. Talked over every Wings track which both blew my mind and pissed me off, and yeah - so densely packed that you couldn't just move to a 'better' section of the crowd. We left rather than put up with another 2 hours of that.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, internetjef said:

Avalanches we’re ok but I was hoping for a little bit more. Again think i was in a bad spot on park stage.

had watched squid and big thief in a better spot just in front of mix desk earlier and sound was great for both there

See for me it was the other way round. Squid and Big Thief I was half way back stage left and the sound was fairly quiet. 

Moved to the front left for Avalanches and it was the best sound all weekend. 

12 minutes ago, Chicken Bob said:

Stuck on a ball and chain ? Or just next to a few human beings that when asked will move so you can move ?

No. Stuck next to a lot of human beings who themselves cannot really move. So the choice is to just shove your way out annoying dozens of people, or stay where you are until the set ends.

1 hour ago, Acid_Haze said:

Fontaines were sloppy, you're right. It was more to do with Grian singing out of time to the music more than anything. Totally forgiven though because it just suits the punk vibe and they put so much passion into the set it was worth it.

I think over the last 20 years or so I've noticed standards for musicians live have really gone up, think it's the rise of everything being recorded online, and market saturation. I reckon if Fontaines were as sloppy as they were 20 or so years ago people wouldn't have cared.

Yeah agree with everything you say. I did think that, halfway through, I’m being a snob, they are a punk-ish band and being sloppy is part of their vibe. 
Also agree that bands are really tight these days. Was really impressed with almost everyone

I was a bit disappointed by Bonobo - still enjoyed myself but the new slower stuff felt a bit out of place/quiet and everyone seemed to be talking the entire set.

New Glade was worse than the old one imo.

Also, anyone who forgot where they were and decided to do a speech about Roe vs Wade.

Edited by FLB
  • Downvote 1