Most Disappointing Set(s)

northernringo

25 minutes ago, waynewdk said:

Calvin Harris, I know the spider makes a load of bass, and I love the bass, but something was up with that set, could not hear lyrics or other instruments, walk off in the end as could have been any song I couldn’t distinguish between them

If you're outside the four speakers at Arcadia, you'll only hear the bass - a major failing of the set-up.

Edited by Furq

Looks like I'm in the 1% of people who thought the P7gs sound was completely fine.

Couldn't hear Calvin Harris at all so sacked it off pretty quick. Also got bad vibes from Girl in Red so ditched for Wolf Alice after 10 minutes or so. 

Noel Gallagher was as dull as it gets too.

1 hour ago, reflekting said:

Libertines were pretty poor, but I always think the opening slot is a bit cursed. Crowd need a bit more coffee or booze in them to get going at that time of day. 

I remember Hives doing that slot in 2013 and they absolutely killed it. Proper great kick off to the weekend.

56 minutes ago, Spindles said:

The new Glade also fell flat for me.  Thursday night 2019 there was one of the best nights I've ever had at the festival, I ended up sacking it off in favour of finding something more entertaining and ended up wandering everywhere and finding nothing (which is mostly my own fault).

I take it you missed Carl Cox at Glade on Saturday then? 

The most wild I have seen a crowd at Glastonbury at 3pm in the afternoon, it was probably my electronic highlight of the weekend. Absolutely fantastic.

Proof:

https://imgur.com/a/nrPQ9XG

• Upvote 1

TLC. My own fault as obviously didnt get there earlier enough but could not find a spot in that crowd.. Ended up by food stalls to the right of stage and the sound was god awful. Watched it back today and looked like fun. Wish I persevered for a good spot. Ditto Sugababes.

Seriously though, put these acts on a bigger stage.

Fontaines dc and I don’t say that lightly. It might have been me picking up two different speakers but they sounded sloppy and a bit out of time. The last ten mins was good though.

sampa the great. No particular reason. Had high hopes but all sounded a bit samey and her grunting was a bit annoying.

Annie Mac but mainly because it’s not really my thing but my mate loves her. Repetitive and everyone around me was doing drugs. Entertaining watching the jobsworth security guard taking peoples baggies off of them though

27 minutes ago, Gumboballsack said:

They were the worst act i saw all weekend. It wasn't just the bad sound. They looked and sounded bored to be there. Don't understand why the press totally lapped their set up as if it was legendary. I love the album as well so was extra disappointed.

Say what? I watched it on TV and I've rarely seen a band so obviously enjoying themselves (the 2 girls anyway) - laughing amongst themselves at the size of the crowd. Check out their reaction to the scream in Ur Mum! An absolute joy to watch!

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Men With Ven said:

Probably Mel C on Thursday. Wasn't advertised as a DJ set and barely played any Spice Girls.

She could have done a 'Craig David present TL5' sort of set, singing over some music, which would have been far more fun.

It was on the Williams Green poster but not on the main line up. William's Green | Glastonbury Festival

16 minutes ago, Isaact said:

The most wild I have seen a crowd at Glastonbury at 3pm in the afternoon, it was probably my electronic highlight of the weekend. Absolutely fantastic.

Proof:

https://imgur.com/a/nrPQ9XG

We were down the front for Carl Cox, I think probably my fav thing we went to see of the festival, and I'm usually all about bands in the daytime, DJs later on, great vibes!

53 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

Camelphat in The Glade on Thursday bored the tits off me. I left after half an hour. The old Glade was way better. I don't see why they felt the need to change it.

Re the old Glade part, me and my mates were in the old Glade (now Glade Dome) for a good hour until we realised we may be in the wrong place watching Stanton Warriors rather than Camelphat

Pigs 7 seemed v quiet on Thursday but I wondered maybe if that is a sound restriction thing outside the main festival music days??

libertines we’re alright but didn’t really blow up. Think I might have been in iffy sound spot tho, and maybe just a touch early.

Avalanches we’re ok but I was hoping for a little bit more. Again think i was in a bad spot on park stage.

had watched squid and big thief in a better spot just in front of mix desk earlier and sound was great for both there. 

Generally thought everything else I saw all weekend massively delivered. That Includes di Ross but largely in part to the enthusiasm of myself and surrounding crowd . Have heard it’s def not one to watch back on the iplayer lol 

2 minutes ago, Brunty9 said:

It was on the Williams Green poster but not on the main line up. William's Green | Glastonbury Festival

Ah my bad - we were going off the line ups on the booklet which just had 'Mel C'.

Which is another minor complaint as the booklet was wrong. It could simply have been a bad run but ours had Sam Fender playing on Saturday as well as saying there were random TBAs which didn't exist. 

2 minutes ago, Men With Ven said:

Ah my bad - we were going off the line ups on the booklet which just had 'Mel C'.

Which is another minor complaint as the booklet was wrong. It could simply have been a bad run but ours had Sam Fender playing on Saturday as well as saying there were random TBAs which didn't exist. 

The app also just said "Melanie C". If they had put DJ set as you suggest I suspect it would have been a fair bit quieter. 

33 minutes ago, JSmurphy said:

Looks like I'm in the 1% of people who thought the P7gs sound was completely fine.

Couldn't hear Calvin Harris at all so sacked it off pretty quick. Also got bad vibes from Girl in Red so ditched for Wolf Alice after 10 minutes or so. 

Noel Gallagher was as dull as it gets too.

Noel Gallagher became a bit pointless to try and catch when Liam started singing Oasis imo. Yes he does a few different Oasis tunes but I got to see Oasis and the prime voice behind the song was Liam regardless of the writer.

9 minutes ago, micropizza said:

We were down the front for Carl Cox, I think probably my fav thing we went to see of the festival, and I'm usually all about bands in the daytime, DJs later on, great vibes!

This is where I'd have been probably as I had nothing else on.

1 hour ago, gigpusher said:

The only disappointments for me were the sacrifices that you have to make to get a good spot for the busy sets. I caught way more of Noel Gallagher than I would have wanted to and I decided to sacrifice Kae Tempest to get a good spot for Wet Leg and Confidence Man. It meant we watched Orlando Weeks who was fine but not where I was wishing I was on site. It did mean we were in a great spot for Wet Leg and Confidence Man though! 

I did exactly the same as you. No regrets, as my positions for WL and CM were fantastic but I didn’t see any Kae this year. 

Wet Leg were a little disappointing to me, I guess. Basically 45 minutes of them looking (understandably) overwhelmed and then failing to meet the moment. It was a timid set from a band who should have used it to establish they can carry huge crowds. 

Thought Simz was great but probably due to my position. She’s actually a very monotone performer, who lacks the all round genius of your Janelle Monae types but the production/instrumentation of SIMBI elevates that side of her artistry. Not sure that fully carries across live. Had a great time anyway. 

15 minutes ago, One Tonne Baby said:

Fontaines dc and I don’t say that lightly. It might have been me picking up two different speakers but they sounded sloppy and a bit out of time. The last ten mins was good though.

sampa the great. No particular reason. Had high hopes but all sounded a bit samey and her grunting was a bit annoying.

Annie Mac but mainly because it’s not really my thing but my mate loves her. Repetitive and everyone around me was doing drugs. Entertaining watching the jobsworth security guard taking peoples baggies off of them though

Fontaines were sloppy, you're right. It was more to do with Grian singing out of time to the music more than anything. Totally forgiven though because it just suits the punk vibe and they put so much passion into the set it was worth it.

I think over the last 20 years or so I've noticed standards for musicians live have really gone up, think it's the rise of everything being recorded online, and market saturation. I reckon if Fontaines were as sloppy as they were 20 or so years ago people wouldn't have cared.

11 minutes ago, Men With Ven said:

Think it was just down to when the booklet had to be printed. Doha Cat hadn't pulled out at that point, so Sam Fender hadn't been bumped up.

I imagine the extra TBAs hadn't been confirmed at the time of printing either

2 minutes ago, kalifire said:

I did exactly the same as you. No regrets, as my positions for WL and CM were fantastic but I didn’t see any Kae this year. 

Wet Leg were a little disappointing to me, I guess. Basically 45 minutes of them looking (understandably) overwhelmed and then failing to meet the moment. It was a timid set from a band who should have used it to establish they can carry huge crowds. 

Thought Simz was great but probably due to my position. She’s actually a very monotone performer, who lacks the all round genius of your Janelle Monae types but the production/instrumentation of SIMBI elevates that side of her artistry. Not sure that fully carries across live. Had a great time anyway. 

I have seen Simbi live at her own gig and it was wonderful but just hard to get in the moment when people are talking all around you. 

31 minutes ago, Isaact said:

Yeah, was a timing issue for me, I've caught him the last couple of times he's played and had a great time, but I was elsewhere this time.  Many years the glade has been somewhere I've stepped into for 45-60 minutes here and there over the course of the weekend and enjoyed something at one of the venues or main stage, I guess it was just the lack of choices that made it somewhere I never spent time at this year.  

Moving the main stage to become more of an outdoor stage with higher capacity is a great idea as far as I'm concerned, sound was good but I just wasn't feeling it during the times I was round there.  That's as much a me thing as the changes, I am sure.