Most Disappointing Set(s)

northernringo

Woody Cook at Greenpeace.  Kinda expected something half-decent, considering who his dad is, but it was a mess.  When you realise that watching people in the crowd is more entertaining than the act, it's probably time to leave - so we did.

Then, Mura Masa at Lonely Hearts Club.  I saw him at Parklife and really enjoyed it, and was selfishly expecting the same set, but something wasn't working for us so we left after three songs and went to Overmono next door instead, which was the right choice, obviously!

Just now, Juliebean said:

Nightmares on Wax, started nearly 35 minutes late. Didn’t hear a reason why and they still finished at the scheduled time.

Would have expected that with a shorter set they would have switched to more well known songs to get the crowd going faster but there was only 1 song you could tel most people knew

I left after 20 minutes and went to Herbie. Really gutting when I’d have gladly seen Warmduscher or George Ezra at that time too.

10 minutes ago, Kashkin said:

I found Phoebe Bridgers a bit boring but everyone else there seemed to be loving it so probably just me.

I did too but wasn't going to even mention it as I was clearly in the minority there. 

15 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Yep I kind of agree with this but it wasn’t her it was the crowd. We were pretty near the front and had to leave as there were 2 guys who seemed to think Little Simz was disturbing their  conversation. Tried a few other spots but so many seemed to have gone there just to give them a spot to get in early for SEC. 

She was on good form yeah, but sometimes it's not the main factor I guess.

The opposite of that for me was Di-Ro, sounded like she was singing karaoke on a hen do in Benidorm, but the crowd were fantastic and lifted the whole gig, I had way more fun there!

7 minutes ago, Brunty9 said:

I was one of the once loving it and it defo felt like the majority of the crowd were the same. 

I realise it's a controversial opinion. I think I just found it quite downbeat and quiet for that time in the evening. I did enjoy her more upbeat songs.

23 minutes ago, nikkic said:

I hate to say it but…… Little Simz.

I love SIMBI, was my AOTY last year, we just couldn’t get into it. 

Crowd were off, sound wasn’t ideal where we were and I think we just wanted to have a bit of a dance at that point.

Left after an hour and went to The Greenpeace Tree where some random DJ was blasting out some old school house tunes. 

Wow couldn't disagree more. I wasn't even near the front but I thought she and the band put on an amazing show and the sound was top! Can agree with the crowd not being great but overall she was one of my highlights.

1 minute ago, nikkic said:

The opposite of that for me was Di-Ro, sounded like she was singing karaoke on a hen do in Benidorm, but the crowd were fantastic and lifted the whole gig, I had way more fun there!

One of the best crowds I've ever been a part of. The explosion of joy during Ain't No Mountain High Enough was an all time moment.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, The Red Telephone said:

Just remembered I had the misfortune of seeing Easy Life (Were sitting down planning our attack to get near the front for Macca). 

Fucking hell. What a pile of shit. Was it a joke or something?

Same here , never heard so much pish! Had to leave they were hurting my ears!

3 minutes ago, nikkic said:

She was on good form yeah, but sometimes it's not the main factor I guess.

I sadly had a bad experience at DiRo as well. Could hear a bloke going on about not being able to charge his phone and other random shite. I ended up leaving early and going to Fontaines DC. I did finally manage to get some halloumi fries with no queue so every cloud has a silver lining 😂

5 minutes ago, The Red Telephone said:

Just remembered I had the misfortune of seeing Easy Life (Were sitting down planning our attack to get near the front for Macca). 

Fucking hell. What a pile of shit. Was it a joke or something?

I love how opinions can differ so much from one person to the next!  I went to Easy Life - wasn't on my agenda, only knew one song, but had some time to kill, and it was one of the most pleasant suprises of my weekend - loved it!

Calvin Harris, I know the spider makes a load of bass, and I love the bass, but something was up with that set, could not hear lyrics or other instruments, walk off in the end as could have been any song I couldn’t distinguish between them

2 minutes ago, Henrik said:

I did too but wasn't going to even mention it as I was clearly in the minority there. 

I've watched it back on iplayer and I can fully understand how someone could have felt that way, much of what was great about that gig was the emotional response within the audience.  It was an event that you either felt a part of and thought it was wonderful or didn't and just felt that the crowd cheered the living shit out of anything for no apparent reason.

Just running back to back sets on iplayer at home whilst deep cleaning everything. 

Easy Life currently on. What on earth was that incredibly self indulgent mosh pit all about to the most mundane mosh track ever?

like trying to mosh to Erika Badu

1 minute ago, Vidsidasta said:

I love how opinions can differ so much from one person to the next!  I went to Easy Life - wasn't on my agenda, only knew one song, but had some time to kill, and it was one of the most pleasant suprises of my weekend - loved it!

Fair dos mate, glad you had a good time 😀

TBF, the people around me were singing some of the tunes. Maybe I am turning into the moany old bugger I’d swear I’d never be!

1 minute ago, Madyaker said:

Camelphat in The Glade on Thursday bored the tits off me. I left after half an hour. The old Glade was way better. I don't see why they felt the need to change it.

I had a similar feeling re: Camelphat at Creamfields last year.  Only stayed for an hour because I didn't usually get to the front of the Steelyard stage and wanted to make the most of it.  I enjoyed their set, but no way does it warrant two hours.  Can get what you want out of it within 20 mins or so, and then go find something else.

59 minutes ago, HomicidalGoat said:

Pigs x7 on Truth were dead quiet and crowd weren't really into them. Energy of band was a bit off as well. Had to take my earplugs out as I couldn't hear or feel shit. Shame as I love their music but really disappointing live. 

Nova Twins afterwards were insanely good though and that made up for it. 

Agree with the volume at Pigs, at least to start, but I was in the pit and the crowd there was having a great time!

I've just realised people are talking about Diana Ross. I thought DiRo was some act the kids like that I've never heard of!

Found JARV IS to be a bit of a let down. I liked the first solo album but not listened to the rest, more fool me, he's gone in an "interesting" direction.

49 minutes ago, Acid_Haze said:

Wet Leg, and it wasn't their fault. Way too quiet for everyone except the people at the front.

They were the worst act i saw all weekend. It wasn't just the bad sound. They looked and sounded bored to be there. Don't understand why the press totally lapped their set up as if it was legendary. I love the album as well so was extra disappointed.

• Upvote 1