Most Disappointing Set(s)

northernringo

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Didn’t really see any - From what I saw from Megan it looked a bit phoned in but it wasn’t terrible. If she wasn’t clashing with Macca I probably would have stayed and at least enjoyed it. 

It bothered me that quite often she seemed to be rapping over a recording of herself. Basically giving her the opportunity to pick the bits she wanted to do live. Or was it just an impression?

9 minutes ago, WestCountryGirl said:

Leon Bridges - but not because of his performance. I was disappointed in the crowd - it was the most tepid I've ever been in at Glasto. Barely any applause as each song ended, and disappointingly low on vibes. It's possible I was just too far back in the field, but from where I was stood I felt bad for him - like he was playing to a field of statues.

I saw him early june at another festival where the crowd was 10 times worse than this. Believe me he seemed much happier at Glasto. Even if not the best crowd he seemed to at least not hope for a magic dragon to come down and end the gig for him, as this is what it looked at at the other festival.

1 minute ago, moogster said:

It bothered me that quite often she seemed to be rapping over a recording of herself. Basically giving her the opportunity to pick the bits she wanted to do live. Or was it just an impression?

TBH common for a hip hop set. It’s more about the energy they bring than perfect vocals. I’m not expecting her to sound as crisp as she does on record.

But it would have been nice if she brought a full production like she did at Coachella/Prim. This looked weirdly scaled back and last minute. Can’t quite understand why. Even at Parklife last year she had more dancers, fire, and a stage set up. Weird that Glastonbury would be the one you skimp on.

Just now, reflekting said:

Libertines were pretty poor, but I always think the opening slot is a bit cursed. Crowd need a bit more coffee or booze in them to get going at that time of day. 

Hehe - we were deliberately only there for 15 minutes on the way to see Ziggy Marley. Oh dear oh dear oh dear.

1 minute ago, reflekting said:

Libertines were pretty poor, but I always think the opening slot is a bit cursed. Crowd need a bit more coffee or booze in them to get going at that time of day. 

Agree - libertines sounded a bit tired, but I think most people were expecting it and still didn't care

I hate to say it but…… Little Simz.

I love SIMBI, was my AOTY last year, we just couldn’t get into it. 

Crowd were off, sound wasn’t ideal where we were and I think we just wanted to have a bit of a dance at that point.

Left after an hour and went to The Greenpeace Tree where some random DJ was blasting out some old school house tunes. 

I wouldn't go as far to say disappointing as my expectations were well managed but Noel was dull. I appreciate the songs are great, but the performances of them is so pedestrian, and would it kill him to play more of the upbeat rockers form the Oasis days? Or mix up the arrangements, or even allow the audience their 'your turn' moment.

Also, he never looks happy on stage. I get that it's part of his persona but at this stage it comes across like he's doing us a favour just by being there.

Just now, nikkic said:

I hate to say it but…… Little Simz.

I love SIMBI, was my AOTY last year, we just couldn’t get into it. 

Crowd were off, sound wasn’t ideal where we were and I think we just wanted to have a bit of a dance at that point.

Left after an hour and went to The Greenpeace Tree where some random DJ was blasting out some old school house tunes. 

Yep I kind of agree with this but it wasn’t her it was the crowd. We were pretty near the front and had to leave as there were 2 guys who seemed to think Little Simz was disturbing their  conversation. Tried a few other spots but so many seemed to have gone there just to give them a spot to get in early for SEC. 

I didn't have a single disappointing set, but Glass Animals felt a little flat and I'm not sure if that was either my expectations being too high or just the part of the crowd I was in.  Every gig I went to the crowd was enthusiastic and involved, the sound was great and the artist gave a good account of themselves.  Honestly the most consistently good gig experience I've had at the festival.

This year I'd made a conscious decision to have a big programme of music Friday and then only a few must sees the other days, it all worked out perfectly and I got to see everything I planned along with a handful of things I was 50/50 on checking out. 

The new Glade also fell flat for me.  Thursday night 2019 there was one of the best nights I've ever had at the festival, I ended up sacking it off in favour of finding something more entertaining and ended up wandering everywhere and finding nothing (which is mostly my own fault).

12 minutes ago, Acid_Haze said:

Wet Leg, and it wasn't their fault. Way too quiet for everyone except the people at the front.

Agree with this, I thought the sound across a few sets was a bit off. Diana Ross and Little Simz I think struggled with the same issues. A shame because those were 3 of the sets I was most looking forward to

21 minutes ago, HomicidalGoat said:

Pigs x7 on Truth were dead quiet and crowd weren't really into them. Energy of band was a bit off as well. Had to take my earplugs out as I couldn't hear or feel shit. Shame as I love their music but really disappointing live. 

The whole point of Pigsx7 is to be bludgeoned by noise. They were so quiet on the Truth Stage I soon battled my way through the crowd to get outta there. Utter pigswill 

1 minute ago, Acid_Haze said:

Agree - libertines sounded a bit tired, but I think most people were expecting it and still didn't care

I wasn't fussed about them but thought they were actually pretty good.

Macca aside from the last hour was one of the most bored I've been at a headliner on any stage before. I appreciate he's 80, it was almost 3 hours etc but it did nothing for me. The last bit was pretty great.

Black Midi were hard work, which was sort of to be expected but i didn't enjoy it. 

The crowd and setlist made up for Diana Ross's performance. Still a bit annoyed I missed Fontaines / Amyl for it though. With hindsight I would have been elsewhere.

Big Thief were OK and as expected but should have been swapped with Squid.

11 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

TBH common for a hip hop set. It’s more about the energy they bring than perfect vocals. I’m not expecting her to sound as crisp as she does on record.

But it would have been nice if she brought a full production like she did at Coachella/Prim. This looked weirdly scaled back and last minute. Can’t quite understand why. Even at Parklife last year she had more dancers, fire, and a stage set up. Weird that Glastonbury would be the one you skimp on.

Thanks! I like hip hop but I don't have much live experience of it. I still had more fun there than at McCartney's . (And couldn't help check how the BBC rated the broadcast)

2 minutes ago, Brunty9 said:

I was one of the once loving it and it defo felt like the majority of the crowd were the same. 

Yep I had less space than any other set. My feet killed because I could barely move but it was a wonderful set and worth my personal discomfort! 

Nightmares on Wax, started nearly 35 minutes late. Didn’t hear a reason why and they still finished at the scheduled time.

Would have expected that with a shorter set they would have switched to more well known songs to get the crowd going faster but there was only 1 song you could tel most people knew

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Chip Batch said:

Macca aside from the last hour was one of the most bored I've been at a headliner on any stage before. I appreciate he's 80, it was almost 3 hours etc but it did nothing for me. The last bit was pretty great.

I hate to say this sounds a bit like my experience with Springsteen in 2009 - a near-three-hour set with a lot of "here's something off my folk album" before you got to the singalongs... it was asking a lot and I remember my legs KILLING halfway through. Mind you that year he was in contention with Neil Young (utter barnstormer of a headline set) and followed by Blur on the Sunday (EPIC) so it's all perspective I guess.