Will you be trying for tickets for Glastonbury 2023?

st dan

Will you be trying for tickets for Glastonbury 2023?  

319 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be trying for tickets for Glastonbury 2023?

• Attended in 2022 - will be trying again for 2023
    • Attended in 2022 - will be giving 2023 a miss
    • Attended in 2022 - still undecided
    • Did not attend in 2022 - will be trying for 2023
    • Did not attend in 2022 - will be giving 2023 a miss
    • Did not attend in 2022 - still undecided

I've voted undecided, but unless the doctors find a miracle cure for my mobility issues, I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that 2017 was my last ever.

I really enjoyed watching the coverage & commenting on the BBC thread - apart from a couple of moments of FOMO I was OK with it. I think I'm probably done. I shall continue with EOTR though.

Absolutely, but the current cost of living crisis will be a factor for many.

Everyone in my family now needs a ticket so we are looking at £1900+ just to get in. Then you have cost of food, in 2019 we burned through £500+ in spending money, and the cost of actually getting there and parking up. 

Personally I think it is worth it but it's a very big outlay for families.

5 hours ago, sfroml said:

I'm sure this may have been asked before, but, in relation to feedback do the organisers take any of it on board? I'm not suggesting they organise a focus group or something where attendees give their comments etc.. (although maybe that would be a good idea). But is there a rep from efestivals who provided feedback based on comments etc?

I have no idea if there's any such thing as an efests rep giving feedback to the organisers. You'd have to ask Neil.

They might be reading the threads though, for better or for worse, haha. They might be surprised about some of the more radical ideas people have on these forums, lol 

• Like 1

Just now, TheGoodWillOut said:

how come horrible ?  my daughter is looking at volunteering for next year 

I volunteered with Oxfam, remember I'm just one voice and a lot of people love volunteering so don't just take my word for it.

The three eight hour shifts were fine, but trying to plan a festival around them was definitely not. I had Saturday night off so went to see Macca, walked back and got to sleep around 1am (I had to miss any late night stuff for my 5.45am shift) I got three hours of sleep to do the hour walk through the Oxford to my gate. Only to get there to be told the bus I was told wasn't coming actually did come.

Planning sleep and food around the shifts is really difficult. 

I had two supervisors who didn't have a clue, one told me not to give our chairs to security. I did what he asked and then got some really nasty personal verbal abuse from the security guard. Told my supervisor and he did nothing.

The other said as it was freezing cold we'd rotate shifts so I wouldn't be outside for too long, ended up waiting five hours in the freezing cold despite reminding him several times we'd been out there. 

15 hours ago, Matt42 said:

2022 was genuinely the best festival I have ever been to, and by far the best Glastonbury I’ve attended yet. I am afraid I’m locked in for life.

I will try every year. I may not be successful every year, but I will try.

Some people go skiing every year, some go to the south of France. This is it for me. This is my tribe where I belong. This is a part of me now.

This is where I am with it too - had an amazing time. My last two (2016 and 2019) were absolute extremes weather wise. I think having normal weather meant everyone being up for it and willing to move around the site, while mud or extreme heat make even the most dedicated of us struggle and do less. When very few are struggling due to the elements, perhaps this is it's natural state. 

Elbow- One Day Like This perfectly encapsulates what Glastonbury does for me. Had a little unexpected cry on Sunday at that actually.

I do have some empathy for those who only do Glastonbury, or do that and small well organised gigs or festivals. Thanks to my music tastes I go to commercial shit ones like Neighbourhood and Leeds, plus stadium gigs with awful experiences so compared to those the queues or crowding, and especially general behaviour, at Glastonbury continues to be a million times better.

I'll be trying for tickets, but that doesn't necessarily mean I'll be going if I'm successful. The price is getting to a point where I feel I need to know the lineup I'm paying to see before I commit to forking out.

It was also the least I've ever enjoyed the festival this year, so I definitely don't want to end my Glasto attendances on a bad note.

15 hours ago, Matt42 said:

People are acting as if 2017 didn’t have some of the worst crowd crushes ever. Selective memory.

Popular bands get busy sets.

To my memory the worst crushes I've experienced are, in order: 1999,2009,2011,2015.  Part of that is me avoiding locations and times now that I know are likely to be a mare, but the truth is it can strike anywhere if you underestimate the amount of people travelling to things that are popular or just plain time things wrong and get caught up in it.

The really bad ones, where everyone is packed together chest to back and you're being pushed from behind, unable to get good footing and feeling like you could go down, I've not experienced in over a decade personally and I'd hope that recent events would inspire a greater level of caution from event organisers rather than a more laissez faire approach as is often favoured by glastonbury. 

People felt unsafe, that's an issue.  People I know who I've been with for the last 5 festivals felt it was too crowded, that there were a lot more punters and less staff and performers.  I think they reduced those numbers to sell more tickets to people who'd be spending more money inside the festival fence.

14 hours ago, Alex DeLarge said:

I will try next year, but I'm never volunteering again. Horrible experience.

Hi Alex, can I ask why? I have been considering volunteering if I can't get tickets and mostly what I have heard is positive but I wouldn't want to jump in without knowing the realities of it first.

9 hours ago, Alex DeLarge said:

I volunteered with Oxfam, remember I'm just one voice and a lot of people love volunteering so don't just take my word for it.

The three eight hour shifts were fine, but trying to plan a festival around them was definitely not. I had Saturday night off so went to see Macca, walked back and got to sleep around 1am (I had to miss any late night stuff for my 5.45am shift) I got three hours of sleep to do the hour walk through the Oxford to my gate. Only to get there to be told the bus I was told wasn't coming actually did come.

Planning sleep and food around the shifts is really difficult. 

I had two supervisors who didn't have a clue, one told me not to give our chairs to security. I did what he asked and then got some really nasty personal verbal abuse from the security guard. Told my supervisor and he did nothing.

The other said as it was freezing cold we'd rotate shifts so I wouldn't be outside for too long, ended up waiting five hours in the freezing cold despite reminding him several times we'd been out there. 

Sorry, just caught this. Sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience.

22 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

But there have been 10 minute queues for urinals in previous years and I've skipped oodles of meals due to long queues for food....?

I barely ate because I hate queueing - got all my calories from drinking 😬 

As others have said, there will always be pinch points and crushes. I do think WG Thursday was excessively silly though. I left just before ME and band and could barely get out, taking the exit towards Yeoman’s bridge. I got back in, and a good distance inside the tent, for Elvana though, so it can’t have been that bad. 

I’ve ticked undecided for next year, but that’s only because I’m struggling to see how I can make it practical with work. If time off was no issue I’d have ticked definitely trying.