Will you be trying for tickets for Glastonbury 2023?

st dan

Will you be trying for tickets for Glastonbury 2023?  

319 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be trying for tickets for Glastonbury 2023?

• Attended in 2022 - will be trying again for 2023
    • Attended in 2022 - will be giving 2023 a miss
    • Attended in 2022 - still undecided
    • Did not attend in 2022 - will be trying for 2023
    • Did not attend in 2022 - will be giving 2023 a miss
    • Did not attend in 2022 - still undecided

This was my 8th Glasto and 11th festival (barring one dayers) in total.

It’s without doubt the best one I’ve ever been to. 

Seminal set from Kendrick, raw emotion from Wolf Alice, Sam Fender ripping it up, Skunk Anansie rolling back the years, disco dancing with Queen Roisin, SE Corner rave ups, perfect weather, new friends, old friends, smiles, tears, laughter and a full weekend of pure fucking vibes. 

Without a shadow of a doubt we’ll be trying for tickets! 

4 minutes ago, dmedxb said:

Yep. Definitely felt some of the negative things that people are talking about but I also think the festival is perhaps just a bit rusty after 3 years of no fest. Lots of experience gone out the industry, a few budget cuts, lack of trained security staff and that sort of thing. Had a few moments of toughness but still nothing can ever beat the feeling of sitting up on the park hill, decent joint, staring into space. 

It'll bounce back. 

Its also another point to make that you can argue they had 3 years to get ready. They saw how other festivals handled issues this last year since they returned and still had their own which made an impact.  They saw Astroworld happen and didnt seem to think about where crush points are for example. So is more prep time bad? Or is just now having a year better for them? 

Next T day will be interesting because theyll for sure cross £300 and thats going to surely turn people off. I swear they should experiment with posting the full main lineup and putting it on sale a few days later. They sort of make it easy to make you buy a ticket because a £50 deposit isnt that much ( in theory ) to set aside and wait 6 months to decide on if youre going, especially if youre in the country. Do we think it would be different if they just asked for all the money up front? And they just enact the same policy of resale/return afterwards?

Highly doubt Ill try for next year. Ill help my friends out but I dont think its in the cards. 2024 the soonest. And likely wont try for 2026  either cause its the World Cup in North America. So maybe get to go twice this decade at most.

6 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

It's stacked every year my dude. Don't sweat it.

Yeah but this year was on another level. Every day I had an absolutely solid consecutive run of acts. It was hard to say who the highlight of the day was.

The Libertines > Wet Leg > Wolf Alice > Sigrid > Phoebe Bridgers > Sam Fender > Billie Eilish

Joy Crookes > Holly Humberstone > AJ Tracey > Greta Thunberg > HAIM > Olivia Rodrigo > Paul McCartney > (bit of Megan then back to Macca)

Diana Ross > Kacey Musgraves > Lorde > Kendrick Lamar

A handful of these support acts would headline other festivals. This years lineup was one for the ages, going from strength to strength. The energy, nor the atmosphere, dipped all weekend. Everyone smashed it. 

Edited by Matt42

I really enjoyed this year but after a bad panic attack on Sunday I'm still not sure about trying for tickets again. It's the first time I've ever had one and I've been at festivals for years, never had a problem with crowds but something was different at this one. I think I'll have to see how I go at upcoming gigs before making my decision.

This year was always going to be a bit different for me; was told I'd fractured my knee just weeks before festival so just going was a bonus in my eyes.

Had a rough couple of hours Sat, felt a bit overwhelmed/not up for it, but Sun was an absolute joy.

I was back at my campervan around nightfall every night, absolutely unheard of for me but I couldn't risk damaging my knee further with a fall in the dark.  So I missed all late night stuff.  

Totally sedate festival for me but I bloody loved it.

To note; people commenting on food queues, there's a queue for a reason, good food is worth waiting for, if you want something quick then you will no doubt be eating something a bit crap.

Def going to try for tickets this Oct. It's the first time in five years I've been allowed by circumstances/my wife.

The thing about criticism of the festival - or anything for that matter, first and foremost it should be listened to. There are always naysayers who have the blues, but some of the complaints might also be genuine and the festival should listen to those with open ears and talk about possible solutions. They can also listen and ignore the complaints too of course, but it should be added that no institution, religion, government, or... the best holiday on Earth, is above reproach.

Too many crushes (not just getting stuck for ten minutes, but people being pushed up against fences and forced to scale fences to get out of a bad situation), not enough big artists in the line up to even the spread of people out resulting in a lot of people watching the same people (although not necessarily the festivals problem, they have to book who's available), rethinking the secret sets so huge crowds don't swarm small areas that can't cope, people using the taps like showers...

They're all valid criticisms and it's up to the organisers to improve on that, like any solid institution should. It would be foolish to say that it's already perfect and everything should stay the same. Glastonbury by nature has been progressing since it's induction.

Edited by MEGATRONICMEATWAGON

13 minutes ago, kaytee... said:

I really enjoyed this year but after a bad panic attack on Sunday I'm still not sure about trying for tickets again. It's the first time I've ever had one and I've been at festivals for years, never had a problem with crowds but something was different at this one. I think I'll have to see how I go at upcoming gigs before making my decision.

I'm sorry to hear that, I hope you don't have any problems in the future and can make it back to the farm again!

Yes, this year was my 9th and it was brilliant. There’s always issues for them to work on, it’s an ever evolving thing. It’s also true to say that at 45 I’m starting to really hate sleeping in a tent but the issues haven’t put me off in the past and won’t this year.

46 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yeah it's not a great idea to wait for a crisis to happen before taking steps to prevent it!

I'm old enough to remember Roskilde and I'm sure festivals made a lot of changes in the wake of it.

100% this. I remember being in an horrific crush at Villa Park for the football one year & saying to my mates "someone is going to die soon". 5 months later Hillsborough happened!

24 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Def going to try for tickets this Oct. It's the first time in five years I've been allowed by circumstances/my wife.

The thing about criticism of the festival - or anything for that matter, first and foremost it should be listened to. There are always naysayers who have the blues, but some of the complaints might also be genuine and the festival should listen to those with open ears and talk about possible solutions. They can also listen and ignore the complaints too of course, but it should be added that no institution, religion, government, or... the best holiday on Earth, is above reproach.

Too many crushes (not just getting stuck for ten minutes, but people being pushed up against fences and forced to scale fences to get out of a bad situation), not enough big artists in the line up to even the spread of people out resulting in a lot of people watching the same people (although not necessarily the festivals problem, they have to book who's available), rethinking the secret sets so huge crowds don't swarm small areas that can't cope, people using the taps like showers...

They're all valid criticisms and it's up to the organisers to improve on that, like any solid institution should. It would be foolish to say that it's already perfect and everything should stay the same. Glastonbury by nature has been progressing since it's induction.

I'm sure this may have been asked before, but, in relation to feedback do the organisers take any of it on board? I'm not suggesting they organise a focus group or something where attendees give their comments etc.. (although maybe that would be a good idea). But is there a rep from efestivals who provided feedback based on comments etc?

Been going since late 90s and have to say feel knackered etc.  There were far too many people and even worse on Sunday.  Best times are Wednesday and Thursday  but when they stupidly put a biggish act in Williams Green on the Thursday it causes havoc.  They did the exact same in 2019 and they had to close the field.

I love the Festival and live local so I try and walk round the site later in the year just to get over not being there.  Sad I know but it’s my one weekend to enjoy.

I will definitely be trying for tickets it’s just each year the shine slowly fades when it doesn’t have to be that way

My first time back on the farm since 2003 (went every year 98-03). It used to be the absolute highlight of my year. Gave up trying after getting in changed and friends were less keen.
Felt somewhat like a veteran and virgin. I had an absolute fantastic week (took my son and he loved it too) and it’s absolute re-ignited my passion for the festival. 

I’ll be trying for tickets in October. 

I understand the comments about the crowds and queues, litter, etc. my only advice is to spend plenty of time wandering green fields, it’s my favourite part of the whole festival. 

• Like 1

Will be trying for 2023 but only in general sale and if I miss out it won’t be a disaster.

age has caught up with me and lack of sleep means if I get a ticket it will be Worthy View or Stink going forward. No more queuing overnight to get to Big Ground Kidney Mead resulting in tiredness which I can’t catch up on.

Definitely trying for tickets / volunteer roles for 2023.  I often feel like I’ve been to a different festival to others when I read the post glasto threads, maybe I got lucky with the crowds, queues and people I bumped into but I never felt unsafe or annoyed (other than one group openly snorting coke sat right next to the path in the green fields in the middle of the day). 

I met a lot of very lovely people, people seemed to be happy and friendly.. the first night in the stone circle was like it used to be with a drumming circle and dancers.. it was a dream line up for me and everything I saw was fantastic. 

I think it would be better to not keep that extra allocation of tickets as things were a bit more busy than usual, I didn’t make it into NYC Downlow as the 90min queue didn’t appeal.. same with Funkingham Palace.  But I managed to avoid any crushes by adjusting my plans if places looked too hectic.. worst bit was queuing 45mins for food in the park before wet leg. 

Overall it was another amazing experience and I can’t wait for next year. 

We will be absolutely trying for next year. All 10 of our lot had a ball. Yes it was hard graft at times, especially after a brutal Wednesday getting in with the heat.  I was a broken man on Wednesday night. But it was fabulous. I don’t think it was busier than 2019. This was my 9th Glastonbury and for sure it is busier than it was in 2009 and the demographic of crowd has changed, but as someone said above, Glastonbury changes every single time it happens. That’s why it is still so relevant. And as someone else said, queuing for food and booze has been a thing in the busy areas for ever. If you don’t want to queue or don’t like big crowds there are loads of other places to go to in the festival and still have a great time. I do get a little frustrated that the most strident comments on here and elsewhere are negative when the silent majority who are having a ball just crack on.  🤷🏽‍♂️😀

Don’t think so. Bought the tickets for this one a year before my son was born. I missed him a lot and expecting my partner to child care for 5 days isn’t something I want to do every year. I also don’t think my body can do it every year without it becoming a negative experience. 
got a busy one next year with friends weddings and a lot of my group can’t do next year either so will be trying for 2024.

24 minutes ago, Jacko45 said:

Been to lots of UK festivals from tiny to large, never done Glasto but very tempted.

This thread and forum making me reconsider 😕 seems to be 80% negative comments and 20% positive. 

See my comment above. The whole sodding internet is negative. It is so frustrating that unhappy people seem to spend their life telling people on the internet this. I realise some people really struggle and have no other options, but a lot of them need to switch their phone off and live their life.

sorry. Rant over 😂

• Like 1

100% be trying, this year was up there with my best. 

considering we traversed the whole site I didn’t see anything out the ordinary that I haven’t down the years. 

Arcadia is always rammed, as is the park when big acts are playing and the walk grinds to a halt. If you want in, you have to go handy. 

It’s the greatest place on earth for 5 days the world is a better place.