Will you be trying for tickets for Glastonbury 2023?

st dan

Will you be trying for tickets for Glastonbury 2023?  

319 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be trying for tickets for Glastonbury 2023?

• Attended in 2022 - will be trying again for 2023
    • Attended in 2022 - will be giving 2023 a miss
    • Attended in 2022 - still undecided
    • Did not attend in 2022 - will be trying for 2023
    • Did not attend in 2022 - will be giving 2023 a miss
    • Did not attend in 2022 - still undecided

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

In 2017 on the Sunday I literally got stuck in the park because there was an absolute sea of people heading down to either Barry Gibb // The Killers. The area by healing/greenfields or whatever was at a complete standstill and there were people with a microphone trying to get people to take a few steps back to clear the congestion.

Didn't see anything like that this year. Perhaps Mel C on the Thursday but that’s it.

Yeah was in the middle of a crowd trying to get away from Williams Green and it wasn’t great.  

On tickets, I am getting older so I’ve decided the coach isn’t for me anymore.  Will be trying for GA tickets.  Weighing up Worthy View or the other one… (name escapes me).  The walk for WV seems a long long way though every day.  Is the other one any better?

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

But there have been 10 minute queues for urinals in previous years and I've skipped oodles of meals due to long queues for food....?

Perhaps we have always been lucky before as my husband has never queued as much as he did this year and I definitely felt that food queues at almost all times of day and night were longer than normal. 

I think that there were more paying punters and less performing passes where people would have gone to backstage areas. I am not complaining about it as it’s probably the reason why all of us on the resale crew got in but yes queues were definitely larger than normal. We have always in the past eaten at slightly odd times to avoid the busiest times for food but this year we did it even more than normal. My husband even decided to just drink less to avoid the queues for toilets. 

Me and wife’s first year this year and we’ll be trying for next year. Same with the rest of our party and a few friends that watched on TV and now quite fancy it. We thoroughly enjoyed it despite congestion on site and a few other bits. We will be trying for campervan/WV/Sticklynch mind. We didn’t get great sleep camping and I think it’s vital with the amount of work we get through over the 4 or 5 days.

We won’t be bringing our (what will be) 2 year old next year though. I don’t feel like he’s going to get anything out of it other than general irritation at that age.

I love it but probably miss a year and take myself off somewhere else. When we totalled up our spend for two tickets, food, drink and travel it was over £1k which is a very decent holiday, and who knows where finances will be In 2023.

When (not if) we do go back it'll be a different one, less 6am SE corner finishes and won't be breaking my legs trying to see every single act playing. Maybe do camper van and a lot more chilling in Green fields.

Saying all that nothing kicks harder than glasto fomo at ticket sales...

I've not been since 2008.... although I did have tickets for 2013 but had to resell them (long story).

Will definitely be trying for next year, finally managed to persuade a mate of mine to go although they will only go if we hire a camper van so not sue how lucky (?) I/we will be. 

Plus the total cost of campervan etc is going to be an expensive one.......

40 minutes ago, sisco said:

Yeah was in the middle of a crowd trying to get away from Williams Green and it wasn’t great.  

On tickets, I am getting older so I’ve decided the coach isn’t for me anymore.  Will be trying for GA tickets.  Weighing up Worthy View or the other one… (name escapes me).  The walk for WV seems a long long way though every day.  Is the other one any better?

Obviously depends on age and fitness but I went back to WV at least once a day, sometimes twice, and it didn't take long at all.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

@Zoo Music Girl I think a lot of the negativity is people blaming others for them getting old. Sorry to be that blunt about it.

And before everyone jumps on me, I am in the same boat. I went this year with the full intention of doing three full days of music and staying out at the SE corner till 6am every night. Noticed very quickly that a festival like that is off the cards for me now. I may have been able to do that 3 years ago, but it’s getting more and more difficult now! I went to bed after Kendrick on the Sunday because I just couldn’t hack any more. Didn’t dampen my weekend though!

The gap between festivals has changed us all / knocked us a bit out of sync with what they are like. Glastonbury has always been super busy, tiring and had challenging moments. Yes there were more people on site but I was complaining about busyness in 2017 way more than I was about this year.

Getting old has nothing to do with raising concerns that someone could quite easily die in some of the dangerous situations many of us witnessed. It’s literally happened at other events in very recent memory.

I don’t mind about crowds, it being busy etc, what I’m bothered about is poor logistics and planning leading to dangerous bottlenecks. This needs to be hammered home because someone’s going to pay the ultimate price if we keep turning a blind eye. I struggled with the camping this year and freely admit I’m getting older now, but the bottlenecks and poor security provision are nothing to do with age.

Trying to blow it off as selective memory, we’re older or whatever is a bit insulting to very legitimate safety concerns. Not that I think you meant to be insulting us Matt, but it does need to be treated very seriously.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, jparx said:

Getting old has nothing to do with raising concerns that someone could quite easily die in some of the dangerous situations many of us witnessed. It’s literally happened at other events in very recent memory.

I don’t mind about crowds, it being busy etc, what I’m bothered about is poor logistics and planning leading to dangerous bottlenecks. This needs to be hammered home because someone’s going to pay the ultimate price if we keep turning a blind eye. I struggled with the camping this year and freely admit I’m getting older now, but the bottlenecks and poor security provision are nothing to do with age.

Trying to blow it off as selective memory, we’re older or whatever is a bit insulting to very legitimate safety concerns. Not that I think you meant to be insulting us Matt, but it does need to be treated very seriously.

This is the thing I don't get. Astroworld was only last year so you'd think people would be super hot on this stuff, but experiences at Primavera and what I'm hearing from Glastonbury suggest the opposite (could be a problem of job churn in the security sector as people have said).

I was lucky at Primavera as never got in any bad crushes on the main site (the bar queues were more of an issue for me) but the one crush we got in for Kim Gordon at Auditori (no staff, no queue system, everyone just barging and pushing) really scared me. I wanted to just get out at that point and couldn't. That was my first experience of the festival as well!

I've had moments like that at Glastonbury (maybe two or three: getting into Pyramid for Patti Smith and after Snoop Dogg, trying to traverse Silver Hayes before Fatboy Slim was on, leaving West Holts after Rolf Harris) which is to be expected and most of those could be avoided. But people seem to be reporting it a lot more this year.

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

This is the thing I don't get. Astroworld was only last year so you'd think people would be super hot on this stuff, but experiences at Primavera and what I'm hearing from Glastonbury suggest the opposite (could be a problem of job churn in the security sector as people have said).

I was lucky at Primavera as never got in any bad crushes on site (the bar queues were more of an issue for me) but the one crush we got in for Kim Gordon at Auditori (no staff, no queue system, everyone just barging and pushing) really scared me. I wanted to just get out at that point and couldn't.

I've had moments like that at Glastonbury (maybe two or three: getting into Pyramid for Patti Smith and after Snoop Dogg, trying to traverse Silver Hayes before Fatboy Slim was on, leaving West Holts after Rolf Harris) which is to be expected and most of those could be avoided. But people seem to be reporting it a lot more this year.

I think the job churn is a huge factor, and Glastonbury really ballsed up on some act placements this year which really didn’t help matters. The whole Thursday situation needs a complete rethink as well. It just needs to be kept on the agenda and not brushed away, if not for the sake of the festivals future as much as anything. 

2 minutes ago, jparx said:

I think the job churn is a huge factor, and Glastonbury really ballsed up on some act placements this year which really didn’t help matters. The whole Thursday situation needs a complete rethink as well. It just needs to be kept on the agenda and not brushed away, if not for the sake of the festivals future as much as anything. 

Fully agree.

I'm gonna give it a try, never even got close to a ticket in the years pre-covid (since i went in 2010), not going to worry too much as i had a blast chatting on here and watching on iplayer.

Not sure Mrs ICE is so keen on normal camping so might have to dangle the worthy view carrot should i hit the jackpot.

If not i will be on the hunt for others to go to.

18 minutes ago, jparx said:

I don’t know - it was busy but I never saw anything near the issue of Astroworld. Yes some queues were bad but I never saw any situation where people were being crushed. Just busy.

Happy to listen to other experiences from people where this may have happened, but this was far far far from Astroworld. Maybe next time they will veer away from putting big acts on tiny stages, but I don’t think there is a crisis yet.

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I don’t know - it was busy but I never saw anything near the issue of Astroworld. Yes some queues were bad but I never saw any situation where people were being crushed. Just busy.

Happy to listen to other experiences from people where this may have happened, but this was far far far from Astroworld. Maybe next time they will veer away from putting big acts on tiny stages, but I don’t think there is a crisis yet.

I don't think anyone is saying it was like Astroworld. Just that you'd think given that crowd management would be front of mind.

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

There doesn’t have to a be crisis yet to raise concerns and act in advance. Complacency is how an Astroworld happens. And there’s plenty of very experienced festival goers who did witnessed stuff that could potentially have veered in to the territory. I’m glad you didn’t experience them, it was a real downer for those that did, but it didn’t mean it didn’t happen to others and wasn’t really serious.

Edited by jparx

I'm praying that I will be attending, but it sounds like from our group of 12 this year, only 7 are trying for tickets in October with most of the drop outs finding it extremely hard going this year, and not enjoying things like the crowd at TLC

Edited by Greenelk

Yep. Definitely felt some of the negative things that people are talking about but I also think the festival is perhaps just a bit rusty after 3 years of no fest. Lots of experience gone out the industry, a few budget cuts, lack of trained security staff and that sort of thing. Had a few moments of toughness but still nothing can ever beat the feeling of sitting up on the park hill, decent joint, staring into space. 

It'll bounce back. 

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

2022 was genuinely the best festival I have ever been to, and by far the best Glastonbury I’ve attended yet. I am afraid I’m locked in for life.

I will try every year. I may not be successful every year, but I will try.

Some people go skiing every year, some go to the south of France. This is it for me. This is my tribe where I belong. This is a part of me now.

Same. We said this as we drove out. Retirement plan has to include being able to afford it until we are either dead or completely medically unable to attend!!!

2 minutes ago, dmedxb said:

Yep. Definitely felt some of the negative things that people are talking about but I also think the festival is perhaps just a bit rusty after 3 years of no fest. Lots of experience gone out the industry, a few budget cuts, lack of trained security staff and that sort of thing. Had a few moments of toughness but still nothing can ever beat the feeling of sitting up on the park hill, decent joint, staring into space. 

It'll bounce back. 

Yeah I do agree with all this. Definitely mitigating circumstances but we just need to make sure Emily and co are aware there were issues and make sure they get addressed. A festival where the official capacity hasn’t really changed for a long time should be getting better at these things, not worse, which seems to be happening. I’m sure they will learn lessons from this and it’ll run a lot smoother next time.

1 hour ago, Phoenix Girl said:

Honestly had such a good time watching it on the tv and chatting to people on here. Really felt like we were part of it. Not joking. 

But yeah will be trying. 

On Monday night, i decided to read the BBC news in bed and there were a few Glastonbury stories and for a split second i actually forgot that i hadn't actually been there, i'd spent so much time on Iplayer and this forum, almost constant from start to the finish that i felt like i'd spent the whole weekend immersed in Glastonbury and that i'd been a full on participant. Really made the whole weekend so much better than i was expecting 

• Like 1

It's going to be iPlayer and a couple of European festivals for me instead next year I suspect.

The worrying crowd and logistics issues, along with the fact I just had a blast watching it on the BBC, means I'll probably think harder about where I'm putting my money and would prefer to get a couple of nice more chill EU weekends out of the same money I'd spend on Glasto. Also a lot less emotional and physical effort.

I don’t actually know how they are going to top this lineup, but they probably will. Top to bottom absolutely stacked and every act I saw was a leader in their field.

Of course, the looming possibility of Swift is keeping me hooked. However, it will be interesting to see if they can stack an undercard like they did this year.

I’m not going to be trying for next year. This year was awesome, but it was always going to be a funny year after such a long break. I’m happy to let another year happen and see if improvements are made, as certain issues did hinder my enjoyment.

It was far busier than usual, with some really odd act timing and placement decisions, and crowd control was abysmal at times. Turning Arcadia down to stop people coming into the field with a bottleneck at the exit is a bad move. We also ate very little due to the amount of queues and did far less exploring due to site traffic. It was definitely noticeably more busy right from the start when I queued for hours to get in, usually I just walk straight in at my particular time of arrival!

I’ll be back, just not next year.