So first timers what did you think of that?

waynewdk

1 hour ago, PassingCloud said:

I’ve read a few things from people that didn’t really get it. Someone reckoned it was not really any different to Reading/Leeds. Sounds like they didn’t explore beyond the main stages. 

The difference goes beyond the stages though, the biggest difference is the people, the vibe and the atmosphere. I no longer use drugs, haven't done since my kids were born. Normally it can be a bit daunting being around so many people who are when you aren't. But not at Glasto, regardless of what they're on (most of) the people are just proper nice people, who make it really fucking fun... 

It's the people that make Glastonbury what it is, not the stages, the market, the side shows, the healing fields, the park or any other part of the festival... It's the people. 🙂 

And I've got to give a shout out to the youngsters here too. I've always thought I was born too late, and to a world that doesn't... blah blah you get the point. But it seems I may have been born too early. This generation of 18 - 30 year olds are the absolute best!!! So kind, caring and loving, they're friendly and fun at the same time. It was a group of youngsters that got us involved with their group, dancing for hours on end at WG, even looking after both mine and Cara's bags so we could both go to the toilet at the same time without pushing through crowds with bags on. It was a different group of youngsters that got us involved with their group at Kendrick... And more. It was a theme of the festival for us, young groups seeing me and Cara, a late 30s couple on our own, they brought us into their groups, and made sure we had a good time. Shout out to the youngsters... You made our glasto, don't you ever change!!!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 9

9 hours ago, Alvoram said:

I think the most important thing for me is showers and nice toilets...

I know everyone stinks, but not everyone stinks 'like me.' The thought of people being close to me after 4 days of no showers genuinely fills me with dread! Plus it's almost an essential ritual the morning after drinking for me to have a shower, my hangovers seem to last for hours if I don't have one... We were mostly in bed by 2am / 3am and I was always up for a shower between 7 and 8am... 5 hours sleep, shower, coffee and breakfast then I'm ready to go again straight away... 

we have a tiny stove, kettle, collapsible bucket, pop up shower tent and rechargeable shower.(all but the kettle fits into the little shower tent bag).  Had a shower every morning. 

Edited by Levitz
  • Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

But miles away from anywhere.

It’s not really miles from anywhere. It’s near Cinemageddon, the Park and Arcadia and the walk to the Other stage is pretty easy. If you are in SE corner a lot then granted it’s far. But swings and roundabouts really, it’s lovely and peaceful so you can get a good nights sleep and have a bit of space around your tent so you’re not on top of everyone. 

3 minutes ago, Levitz said:

we have a tiny stove, kettle, collapsible bucket, pop up shower tent and rechargeable shower. Had a shower every morning. 

Before we got lucky in the accommodation resale we were looking at doing similar, with a pressure shower. But I was a bit uneasy about it, because surely if everyone does that it's going to turn the field to mud regardless of weather? I mean, where did your waste water go? 

Just now, Alvoram said:

Before we got lucky in the accommodation resale we were looking at doing similar, with a pressure shower. But I was a bit uneasy about it, because surely if everyone does that it's going to turn the field to mud regardless of weather? I mean, where did your waste water go? 

Same place as people washing their hair with cold water from the taps. Into the field. But we had space round the tent to put it without being too near anyone else. You don’t need to use much water really. Get yourself wet, switch it off, soap up, switch it on and rinse off and you’re done. As it was warm (and ground already dry) the ground was never wet for long. 

2 minutes ago, Levitz said:

Same place as people washing their hair with cold water from the taps. Into the field. But we had space round the tent to put it without being too near anyone else. You don’t need to use much water really. Get yourself wet, switch it off, soap up, switch it on and rinse off and you’re done. As it was warm (and ground already dry) the ground was never wet for long. 

That's good to know, and definitely one I'll remember then. As long as it doesn't inconvenience others then it sounds like a great plan. Because I'm certainly not about to pay £2k for off site camping... It's SL, WV or CV and if none of them then I will be in public. Thanks.

Just now, Skelts said:

You’re the youngsters in my 50 year old eyes!

Yes, very true. I was pleased to meet people in their 70s too!!! One lady we danced with for a while and gave Birthday hugs to at one of the stages was celebrating her 60th 🙂 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Levitz said:

It’s not really miles from anywhere. It’s near Cinemageddon, the Park and Arcadia and the walk to the Other stage is pretty easy. If you are in SE corner a lot then granted it’s far. But swings and roundabouts really, it’s lovely and peaceful so you can get a good nights sleep and have a bit of space around your tent so you’re not on top of everyone. 

I hated the walk back from The Park to Baileys the year I was there. Granted that was in 2014, so Cinemageddon wasn't there, but everything else was in the same place. It just felt like a couple of extra fields walk to get anywhere.

2 hours ago, Wherethewildthingsare said:

They really can’t have done. My very first year I didn’t get to the Park, the Green Fields or the SE corner!

Only 3/8 of our group of first timers made it to the SE corner - and not into any of the big closed off venues - think only half of us got to the park too. Not sure any of us visited the green fields - we didn't get to the stone circle or glastonbury sign either as far as i know!

Edited by gfa

4 hours ago, PassingCloud said:

As much as I do enjoy the larger places, you could really take them alone and it would be any other festival. It’s when you explore places like the green fields, the woods, circus, kidz field, etc. that you realise what Glastonbury is so different and special. 

Exactly! And the lack of arenas and the reliance on  self moderation generally 

2 hours ago, gfa said:

Only 3/8 of our group of first timers made it to the SE corner - and not into any of the big closed off venues - think only half of us got to the park too. Not sure any of us visited the green fields - we didn't get to the stone circle or glastonbury sign either as far as i know!

I made up for it the following year and when I’ve taken newbies we get pretty much all of it in. On reflection this year I didn’t go near the John Peel or the acoustic at all

12 hours ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

Erm ... no. Possibly misled you there. It’s nice and quiet though.

Quieter perhaps but as a seasoned Darble camper the noise from somewhere that went on until 6am was very loud this year! I could hear every word. Nothing some ear plugs didn't fix mind! 

4 hours ago, MikeandSan said:

Amazing place and experience. Despite arriving Tuesday, there are areas that I simply didn't get to. I can see why people go back and back just to experience the things they missed last time. Not enough time to do everything that is on offer! If you suffer from FOMO, this festival is a nightmare!

So friendly, even when the crowds became dangerous a few times, everybody seemed to keep their cool when in other places, heads would have been falling off. 

Only managed about 3 full sets but that is partly my fault as if it was busy at a stage, I wont push forwards and I just cant enjoy a set if I cant see it properly or hear it properly. That leads me to a negative, many acts were in very small venues for their popularity. I think I know why that was but still it was gutting not to be able to see someone you had hoped as you just couldnt get near. I think if you have your heart set on somebody, you need to eat, drink, use the toilet and aim to get there at least an hour before they start. That could therefore mean that with travelling time, you need to be thinking about that set up to 2 hours before! Crazy.

I have to say, I was a little disappointed in the sound quality/volume from the stages compared to say at Rock Werchter. I may have been standing in the wrong places. I brought ear defenders for our 5yr old but didn't need them once despite being close sometimes.

Need to change from O2 to EE as had no signal or data pretty much the whole time.

Cash is better than card. Most traders preferred cash as their wifi devices went down most of the time!

I wasnt prepared for the big rocks and sharp stones eve'rywhere I walked either! Defo walking boots next time.

Final thought? Biggest, busiest but most importantly, best festival I have ever been to.

I have been 5 times and still have areas that I have never managed to get to (Strummerville...even though I promised I would go this year! Cinemargeddon is another one...never been to the crows nest, piano bar or rabbit hole). 

I really loved it and I'd love to come back. The site is huge and it's impressive!

As notes/observations:

I didn't expect it to be SO CROWDED. Wednesday around the Park was absolutely mental and it was almost impossible to walk anywhere with some sort of space other than early mornings. However, I found quite easy to get to the front in the concerts I wanted and I was expecting that to be more difficult.

Another point is the front barrier organization. I've been to many festivals and the biggests have some sort of system where first they let people go out after the gig and then let the people come in after, making it easier for everyone and avoiding overcrowding (they let people in to some safe amount). In Glastonbury in sub/headliner slots on the Pyramid was super dangerous, I was shocked!

The toilet situation was also grim. Sometimes I was walking and walking without finding any toilets anywhere (and not just on the big stages but also on the healing fields for example). Without being familiar with the site finding toilets was a total challenge. I didn't get why they don't have a massive amount of urinals that would make it easier for everyone. Next to the pyramid urinals with space with barely 20 people max seriously?

I really had a great time though and I will be trying for tickets on 2023. I always thought that the people in the Pyramid were like sardines but it's actually a very lovely field where you can see concerts from far with very nice visibility, space and sound.

Edited by AlexOvd

5 hours ago, Alvoram said:

That's good to know, and definitely one I'll remember then. As long as it doesn't inconvenience others then it sounds like a great plan. Because I'm certainly not about to pay £2k for off site camping... It's SL, WV or CV and if none of them then I will be in public. Thanks.

Since about 2014 I've taken a folding bucket, small sponge and travel shower gel.  I do a cold water strip wash in my boxers and flip flops every morning.  You only need a small amount of water and just dump it over your head to rinse off.  Worst thing about it is my mates taking the piss and singing songs from Magic Mike while I do it....

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

Since about 2014 I've taken a folding bucket, small sponge and travel shower gel.  I do a cold water strip wash in my boxers and flip flops every morning.  You only need a small amount of water and just dump it over your head to rinse off.  Worst thing about it is my mates taking the piss and singing songs from Magic Mike while I do it....

This

Had a blast of a weekend once we managed to collect our tickets, a lot of stewards around the gates were clueless and caused a lot more hassle than needed. 

Signage also could be a lot better.

Walked our legs off and saw some brilliant acts, met some lovely people. Something for everyone in the arena even those not really into music, a wonderful place and some great memories made.

5 hours ago, gfa said:

Do yourself a favour next time and take a walk up to the Glastonbury sign on Wednesday or Thursday evening. Its a cliche, but it's a cliche for a reason. The view and vibe up there is spectacular 

34 minutes ago, mazola said:

Do yourself a favour next time and take a walk up to the Glastonbury sign on Wednesday or Thursday evening. Its a cliche, but it's a cliche for a reason. The view and vibe up there is spectacular 

we definitely have a lot more to tick off!

3 hours ago, AlexOvd said:

Another point is the front barrier organization. I've been to many festivals and the biggests have some sort of system where first they let people go out after the gig and then let the people come in after, making it easier for everyone and avoiding overcrowding (they let people in to some safe amount). In Glastonbury in sub/headliner slots on the Pyramid was super dangerous, I was shocked!

The toilet situation was also grim. Sometimes I was walking and walking without finding any toilets anywhere (and not just on the big stages but also on the healing fields for example). Without being familiar with the site finding toilets was a total challenge. I didn't get why they don't have a massive amount of urinals that would make it easier for everyone. Next to the pyramid urinals with space with barely 20 people max seriously?

They could definitely learn of Reading in this respect - they have masses of toilets and water points near the main stages and even in the campsites the toilet sets are massive vs glastonbury's - each block has at least 50 toilets. Toilets were fine, far better than a lot of places but they could learn off these two paragraphs a lot!

Brought some first timers with me.

Told them to chill on Wednesday.

Instead they got excited & ketted into oblivion. Which ruined a bit of their Thursday, where they were too tired compared to us & went sleep early. This also had a knock on effect into Saturday they also went bed early, due to fatigue & then they left Sunday before Kendrick.

Not sure how they're feeling about it & wouldn't be surprised if they don't bother for 2023. Hopefully not the case, but I'm also kind of forgetting how overwhelming that first time is. No matter how many times I said "Marathon, not a sprint" it really means nothing until you're there & realise how much you'll be on your feet / walking.  

Much love for the festival. I am a LONG time concert/festival goer over here in the States and this was a big bucket list event for me. It lived up to all of my expectations. The scale is just massive on every level. Best thing for me was the diversity and overall quality of the acts. I never had problems finding good music. All of the crazy non-music entertainment added to the fun and the food was top notch for festival food. We found multiple food stalls that we went back to because the food was so good. Also, the people were a blast. Shared a few beers and had many great conversations. 

On the other side, the crowds were massive. For the most part, they were well behaved and not an issue....and crowds are certainly part of the festival experience.....but some of the locations/times (Wet Leg, Calvin Harris) bordered on being dangerous.  I can't imagine what it would have been like if there had been a lot of rain/mud. I don't have the history with the festival to know if that level of crowding was standard but I hope the festival works on making flow/traffic improvements.

Net/net - a great experience....will definitely be back at some point.

• Upvote 1