Most eventful journey home?

theciderviking

Come on folks, keep a weary traveller amused with your own tales of woe…as I endure the second half of my epic 17 hour journey home! 😂

I should point out, this is a situation entirely of my own making…I went big on the last night, overindulged pretty spectacularly 🙈, forgot to collect my wallet and car and house keys from the lockups in time and then missed my booked coach as a result, so my journey instead looks like this. 😬

2hrs in a queue for the shuttle bus to Castle Cary.
Half hour on the bus.
2.5hrs in the queue for the train.
2hrs on the train.
Tube across London.
Nearly 2hrs to kill at the coach station.
7hrs on the coach coming up next. 😭
Taxi to collect my car.
Half hour drive home.
Shower.
Half hour drive to work.

Roughly 17 hours, I could have flown almost anywhere in the world in that time! 🤣

I’m going to be needing LOTS of coffee tomorrow! 🙈😂

And before all of that I’d already covered nearly 6 miles around site trying to track down my keys so I could actually leave. 🤦‍♂️

02DEE20E-DAD7-467E-9EB1-926F9CFF14EC.jpeg

Edited by theciderviking

Usual A303 jams. Sure it's all down to people slowing down to gawp at Stonehenge. It's just some stones ffs.

On the plus side, there was a huge Peregrine Falcon (I think) just sitting on a fence post by the side of the road in said jam. A right wow moment. 

Mine was more surreal/barmy:

All the See Coaches to Manchester were late. There must have 200 people waiting in the rain the for any coach back north to arrive. In the meantime there were about 7 London coaches that came and went, and plenty of coaches to Reading, Oxford, Southampton (including Southampton coach one that must have departed with about 10 people on it).

When the Manchester coaches did arrive and we finally did decide to depart (at around 7:15am - 1st coach was supposed to leave at 5:00am) our driver played his personal set-list of Hindi/Urdu songs (nothing wrong with that just time/place) at near full blast for the 1st hour, then some kind of Hindi/Urdu radio skit show for the next hour (which included a DJ with a over zealous like of his "baby-laughing" sound effect) meaning nobody could get any form of proper sleep.

We did get silence for about an hour after this which was bliss.

We pulled into Keele services after about 4 hours and the driver tells us to be back at the bus after 25 mins. He then proceeds to disappear for a full on hour. Everyone on the coach rushed their visit to services to to make sure we were back in time. Everyone was then stuck outside a locked coach for 30+ mins in constant rain (some of us in t-shirts, thin jumpers) waiting for the driver to return. We he did emerge we got a sarcastic/insincere "sorry sorry" as he carried the remainder of his Burger King meal. If he had told us an hour nobody would have been upset, we could have sat down to eat food go, go to the toilet, freshen up etc.

We were then treated to a good 15-20 mins of loud radio static/interference on the intercom from some random pop radio station.

A genuinely bizarre ride home, still trying to work out whether it was real or did some drugs I was unaware of this morning.

Edited by Major_Tom108

I was out of the car park by 11:30, benefiting from moving the car down from Purple 2 to close to Gate B Sunday morning. Straight onto the road, and a nice getaway thanks to lots of closed roads. But then the week before and the late one Sunday night really hit me.

I started yawning and rubbing my eyes, and then felt them actually closing....how scary is that at 70 miles an hour! I'm pretty sure I was asleep at the wheel for a split second, so I had to pull over about an hour's drive. I found a layby and fell straight asleep, waking up around 90 minutes later.

By the time I got home I was knackered once more. I basically made it to the sofa and fell asleep again, waking at 10:30. Now I'm wide awake and ready to head out again, but this time with nowhere to go