Crowd Etiquette

Alvoram

1 minute ago, Glast0baby said:

I was Access this year as I could not physically stand through a whole set.  I was either on the viewing platforms or went to the back of my crowd with my chair though.  I wouldn't dream of trying to have a chair at front of pyramid unless it was quiet early line up band.

Hope the set up was ok this year? Saw something appalling on twitter about celebs trying to break onto the platform at the John Peel stage.

3 minutes ago, Joshuwarr said:

Hope the set up was ok this year? Saw something appalling on twitter about celebs trying to break onto the platform at the John Peel stage.

Heard something about Noel Gallagher crashing the VP.  Not sure what stage.  Ppl on platform either delighted or enraged by the entitlement.

11th Glasto, 1st yr Access.  I was humbled and incredibly grateful for the service.  It enabled me to enjoy Glasto.  Without it, I couldn't have attended, so so so thankful. 

General view from the Access peeps is that over crowding was an issue and inconsiderate ppl trying to use the loos and VP without being Access.  Equally lots of lovely Glasto stories about lovely people.  Apparently access routes being pyramid this year were an issue - "hospitality" wristbanders being very rude to Access peeps who share their pathways and not considerate at all.  So an overall mixture of loveliness and the worst of humanity.  Don't be dicks ppl!

• Like 1

I don't think there is anything wrong with sitting down on a chair. Especially for those who need to.

The problem seems to be more People using chairs and blankets to build intentional walls, and personal bubbles for their groups. Making it impossible for everyone else to move around the crowd. They don't even sit on the chairs, they just use them to build a wall nobody else is allowed through.

This causes huge swathes of empty field near the front, since no one can get past them. It's mega crowded behind the chair walls, in some cases this weekend, to a dangerous extent.

If people keep doing this, chairs will be banned, except for some lame "chair zone". That would be awful. It would be better if people just stopped using chairs inconsiderately.

41 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

Aren’t more than 50% of the JP sides open? Marquees with 50% of the sides open do not count as indoors and are not covered under the ban. 

Inconsiderate though, if your smoke is causing a nuisance to somebody else. 

If the fire marshals spot you they'll have a word, so it's defs not allowed.

Although a cigarette isn't as bad as the genius who set off a flare in there during Charli XCX.

3 minutes ago, Sku said:

I don't think there is anything wrong with sitting down on a chair. Especially for those who need to.

The problem seems to be more People using chairs and blankets to build intentional walls, and personal bubbles for their groups. Making it impossible for everyone else to move around the crowd. They don't even sit on the chairs, they just use them to build a wall nobody else is allowed through.

This causes huge swathes of empty field near the front, since no one can get past them. It's mega crowded behind the chair walls, in some cases this weekend, to a dangerous extent.

If people keep doing this, chairs will be banned, except for some lame "chair zone". That would be awful. It would be better if people just stopped using chairs inconsiderately.

I'd imagine the only reason chairs and flags aren't banned at the stages is due to aforementioned anomaly of Glastonbury not having a physical barrier between the 'arena' and the 'campsites' areas like most festivals. It's too much to ban flags / chairs from the campsites- you can't expect people to sit on muddy ground for 5 evenings and you want a good portion of people going back to campsites after dark or the night venues are going to be clusterfucks - but banning them from arenas generally gives everyone a better experience (except people who like sitting in a chair all day and think  gig is a all day picnic)

Edited by willgooneday

2 hours ago, balti-pie said:

Don’t be a dick, basically. Don’t shove people out of the way, don’t piss on the floor, don’t talk incessantly during sets, engage strangers in brief pleasantries but don’t bore their ears off and don’t grab them for a fuckin dance unsolicited (that’s been a problem for me, a big ugly bloke, so Christ knows what it’s like for women) and yeah, just don’t impose yourself on others 

Don’t piss in the crowd at all. If you can’t hold it for the duration a show, pick a spot next to the toilets.

33 minutes ago, Simsy said:

If the fire marshals spot you they'll have a word, so it's defs not allowed.

Although a cigarette isn't as bad as the genius who set off a flare in there during Charli XCX.

Oh I saw the signs, know it isn’t allowed, was just pointing out that this isn’t related to the smoking ban in indoor public places, as it doesn’t meet the criteria.

Also in no way do I agree with smoking in there, nor do I advocate it, it’s bad manners. 

2 hours ago, deebeedoobee said:

Take your bag off your back when in a tight crowd. As a shorty I was constantly having to swerve being beaten about the head with backpacks as the owner bobbed about.

I take a bag out, either a messenger bag or a guardian bag, depending on if I have cans.  My etiquette is to wear it on the front in a gig, so it creates a space you are aware of in front of you, not one you are unaware of behind.  Never had a problem.

At Tame Impala last year there was a double whammy of a coked up talker (whose entire conversation was about how rich each of his friends parents must be on the basis of their property) with a backpack that kept bumping into me and his mate who was being loudly talked at, I kept moving away and I kid you not they reappeared right in front of me every time moments later, like they were following me just to stand in front of me and loudly talk about london rich people bullshit and not give a shit about the fact there is a gig going on and other people might actually be there to enjoy it.

My biggest pet hate is groups of people sitting down quite near the front of one of the packed main stages - it’s really quite dangerous and hems everyone in and created bottle necks and crushes. If you want to sit down well there’s plenty of room at the back. 

2 hours ago, waynewdk said:

Worse for me is when people pass through the crowd. U sort of lean off balance, let them squeeze pass, your off centre, calves taking the strain, and they say shall we stay here, I’m now not next to my mate, as I step back to get my balance

This boils my fucking piss so much, it's the absolute height of ignorance for me

Had it happen with amyl and the Sniffers on Sunday, got in early and got a good spot in the tent, behind the crowd that would be bouncing but with a nice view, two twats walk in, "excuse me" wall past and both immediately stop in front of me after I move aside. 

To make it worse one of them was wearing a backwards baseball cap, fuck off c**t.

• Upvote 1

I will add though that I find the complaints about people talking at sets on here ridiculous

You're at one of the biggest festivals at the world, one person in a group might have wanted to see this act and they've probably all been drinking since 11am, expecting the same environment as an intimate gig is hilariously entitled and out of touch

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

I will add though that I find the complaints about people talking at sets on here ridiculous

You're at one of the biggest festivals at the world, one person in a group might have wanted to see this act and they've probably all been drinking since 11am, expecting the same environment as an intimate gig is hilariously entitled and out of touch

On the contrary, not giving a fuck and talking over the top of a gig other people do give a fuck about is incredibly selfish. Nobody is saying you should be completely silent, but people just talking incessantly over the top of a gig and not giving a shit about the actual music is w*nky behaviour. Groups who literally could just be back at camp and having the convo as opposed to shouting over the top of a live set they don't care about. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

On the contrary, not giving a fuck and talking over the top of a gig other people do give a fuck about is incredibly selfish. Nobody is saying you should be completely silent, but people just talking incessantly over the top of a gig and not giving a shit about the actual music is w*nky behaviour. Groups who literally could just be back at camp and having the convo as opposed to shouting over the top of a live set they don't care about. 

If someone could talk loud enough to drown out the sound at a festival stage id be impressed more than anything 

We had a group of 5 blokes who talked and laughed the whole way through Diana Ross set. It was bad enough we couldn’t hear her over at the path top of the field,  but to hear them the whole way through was the limit. My wife had to stop me from exploding!

Also people snorting coke whilst walking between Sam Fender and Other Stage and the group of exceptional pissed Geordies banging into every one during Sam Fender!

Edited by westholtschic

The don’t be a dick mantra in general is a good one but a few things that I will single out as being particularly obnoxious. 

During the incredibly busy sets large groups don’t have to be joined at the hip. If some of you are interested and others are not those who don’t care about it could do everyone a favour and go to the nearest bar for the duration. They’d be making the place less crowded (especially if they took their chairs with them) and not causing irritation. We decided to leave Diana Ross because the fascinating chat about how someone couldn’t get their phone to charge was really annoying and at acts like that it is too busy to just move which is our normal policy. 

Tall people can’t help being tall but they can help turning up literally a minute before a headliner comes on and pushing in front of me and then stopping dead. If you are tall and arrive at the last minute just check you haven’t now completely blocked someone’s view and if you have maybe offer to let them go in front of you. I only came up to halfway up his back and my PSB experience could have been absolutely ruined if it wasn’t for the fact that thankfully someone to the side of him moved after the first song and I was able to do a quick sideways step. 

Have to say there was some lovely people in the crowds this year as well. Special thanks to the lady who helped us get passed them when I was looking for my friends in the gap between Noel and Macca and the truly lovely man who kept offering to swap places with me during Phoebe Bridgers as it was absolutely rammed and he had a better view. I didn’t take him up on it as I was so hemmed in I could barely move but I did really appreciate his kind offer. 

9 hours ago, Glast0baby said:

Heard something about Noel Gallagher crashing the VP.  Not sure what stage.  Ppl on platform either delighted or enraged by the entitlement.

11th Glasto, 1st yr Access.  I was humbled and incredibly grateful for the service.  It enabled me to enjoy Glasto.  Without it, I couldn't have attended, so so so thankful. 

General view from the Access peeps is that over crowding was an issue and inconsiderate ppl trying to use the loos and VP without being Access.  Equally lots of lovely Glasto stories about lovely people.  Apparently access routes being pyramid this year were an issue - "hospitality" wristbanders being very rude to Access peeps who share their pathways and not considerate at all.  So an overall mixture of loveliness and the worst of humanity.  Don't be dicks ppl!

Good morning, yes there was a change in this where people with access wristbands were not allowed to access the route via the liggers bars. Though i did see Noel Gallagher and Olivia Rodrigo while assisting my wife from one stage to another. I didn't mither them! 

11 hours ago, deebeedoobee said:

Take your bag off your back when in a tight crowd. As a shorty I was constantly having to swerve being beaten about the head with backpacks as the owner bobbed about.

Definitely this as well. We always have bags with us but because it did feel much more crowded this year we actually got rid of our bags in the afternoon/evening on Saturday and Sunday and for us as well it was much more freeing not to have them. 

I always take my bag off my back in a large crowd though and it amazes me how many don’t! 

I am 6ft 4. During Sam Fender a couple of about 60/65 walking through the crowd

Her - "He's tall go behind him" 

Him - "Ok"

He then puts a box down & is about to do a shit in the middle of the Pyramid field. I turn around, he stands up, pulls kecks up & says "I cant do it, Ill go to the toilet"

A genuine WTF moment. They were in their 60s. Not as if it was a daft kid. Yeah, use me as a wall to shit behind.

Thanks

10 hours ago, willgooneday said:

I'd imagine the only reason chairs and flags aren't banned at the stages is due to aforementioned anomaly of Glastonbury not having a physical barrier between the 'arena' and the 'campsites' areas like most festivals. It's too much to ban flags / chairs from the campsites- you can't expect people to sit on muddy ground for 5 evenings and you want a good portion of people going back to campsites after dark or the night venues are going to be clusterfucks - but banning them from arenas generally gives everyone a better experience (except people who like sitting in a chair all day and think  gig is a all day picnic)

This is true. Other festivals don't let you bring them into the arena.

We take chairs and often use them around the site in the day time in quiet spots. My partner has back issues so it really helps and just stops us getting knackered. Usually take them back to the tent by early evening and would never take them into a crowd (I don't tend to get that close these days anyway).

It's been said about 10 times already but HOW can people keep their backpack on in a crowd. It's either in front, or if doable between your legs. We did keep ours on if there was space around (I always did a quick check behind me if doing that.

And YES that small cute backpack thing can be a pain as well. And YES if you put your bag down it will get dirty. That's why you don't take your Hermes with you.

I agree keeping chat to a minimum. I expect people to try and find space where they can, but be polite and respect personal space if possible. Waiting for Paul McCartney I had 2 people push in to a tight space; however they then proceeded to plate up their evening meal (divided curry, rice, etc out onto 2 plates) and ate it slowly with the plate a couple of inches from my face. Not pleasant x