Crowd Etiquette

Alvoram

I’ve seen a lot of mention of ‘Glasto Crowd Etiquette’ on here these last few days. As a first timer I’m wondering if you guys can help with this. (We fully intend to attempt to bag tickets again for 23.) There are no ‘guides,’ nobody to teach us and there was such a mixed bag of behaviour this year, that simply doing as others do would be confusing. 

What are the key elements of good crowd etiquette that are important to you? 

Edited by Alvoram
  • Upvote 1

Don’t be a dick, basically. Don’t shove people out of the way, don’t piss on the floor, don’t talk incessantly during sets, engage strangers in brief pleasantries but don’t bore their ears off and don’t grab them for a fuckin dance unsolicited (that’s been a problem for me, a big ugly bloke, so Christ knows what it’s like for women) and yeah, just don’t impose yourself on others 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, balti-pie said:

Don’t be a dick, basically. Don’t shove people out of the way, don’t piss on the floor, don’t talk incessantly during sets, engage strangers in brief pleasantries but don’t bore their ears off and don’t grab them for a fuckin dance unsolicited (that’s been a problem for me, a big ugly bloke, so Christ knows what it’s like for women) and yeah, just don’t impose yourself on others 

In a nutshell 

Just now, balti-pie said:

I was constantly getting shoved out of the way by people moving through the crowd, despite attempting to give them space when I saw them coming. Is that normal? I’m a big lad too, so again, must be horrendous for smaller people. 

1 minute ago, Alvoram said:

I was constantly getting shoved out of the way by people moving through the crowd, despite attempting to give them space when I saw them coming. Is that normal? I’m a big lad too, so again, must be horrendous for smaller people. 

It is normal, and it isn’t. Bigger crowds will inevitably have more knobheads, it’s just whether you’re near them or not. Weirdly I think heavier acts have better behaved crowds: Turnstile and Amyl & the sniffers had great crowds, boisterous but friendly - pats on shoulders, helping each other up, respectful and decent from young to old (me!). It’s more about the immediate people around you. If I see a group of fellas doing keys and generally looking like berks then I’ll not stay near em for long. 

This guy met with his friend right next to me in the middle of the Kendrick set and proceeded to talk loudly non stop until the end. They just chatted for the second half of the set. When a big hook came on the song, he danced and headbanged, and when that was over, continued his loud talk. Fucking hate talkers during shows.

Also, sorry but I don't understand smokers being fine blowing smoke on other people's faces like it's ok.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

Weirdly I think heavier acts have better behaved crowds: Turnstile and Amyl & the sniffers had great crowds, boisterous but friendly - pats on shoulders, helping each other up, respectful and decent from young to old (me!). 

Agree with this, it’s the same at an Idles gig

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

It is normal, and it isn’t. Bigger crowds will inevitably have more knobheads, it’s just whether you’re near them or not. Weirdly I think heavier acts have better behaved crowds: Turnstile and Amyl & the sniffers had great crowds, boisterous but friendly - pats on shoulders, helping each other up, respectful and decent from young to old (me!). It’s more about the immediate people around you. If I see a group of fellas doing keys and generally looking like berks then I’ll not stay near em for long. 

This has always been the case tbh, heavier music has a strong sense of community and a lot of the music is about values rather than just mindless lyrics to a beat - (that's a reference to pop not EDM/House/Dance which has a good crowd) - there's also probably more people who go to gigs regularly in that crowd than in a random pop stars. 

6 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

Spot on, me and my 21 year old daughter were on the pit for Turnstile and has some great fun. It was boisterous however respectful of each others wellbeing. I am a young 48 year old and i was doing lots of patting on shoulders to people even older than me! 

10 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

The best crowd I was in was actually Kendrick Lamar, surrounded by really nice people, all dancing and interacting with the strangers around them. Felt no agro vibe it all, was lovely. 

Fontaines was great too. 

• Upvote 1

Worse for me is when people pass through the crowd. U sort of lean off balance, let them squeeze pass, your off centre, calves taking the strain, and they say shall we stay here, I’m now not next to my mate, as I step back to get my balance

30 minutes ago, Calvin Klein said:

This guy met with his friend right next to me in the middle of the Kendrick set and proceeded to talk loudly non stop until the end. They just chatted for the second half of the set. When a big hook came on the song, he danced and headbanged, and when that was over, continued his loud talk. Fucking hate talkers during shows.

Also, sorry but I don't understand smokers being fine blowing smoke on other people's faces like it's ok.

I've found there are 2 types of talkers at gigs. Type 1 don't seem to care that there's music on, treat it like a noisy pub and carry on their convo (eg the people next to us for wet leg who got in early to see a really hyped set but were talking about their last holiday). Type 2 do seem to care about the music, but are narrating the whole thing "oh, I hope they play x, yes I love this one, this is so good" etc (eg the people next to us for libertines who seemed to be enjoying it but just didn't STFU).

Re. Smoking, apologies if I told anyone here off for smoking in John Peel, but the smoking ban came in 15 years ago, you must know by now you can't smoke inside!

• Like 1

Here's a biggun.  If you are not registered for Access loos and viewing platforms, don't be a dick and try to use them.  Nuff said.

I think everyone needed to attend a service from OMG It's the Church! and learn the central commandment... don't be a dick.

7 minutes ago, Simsy said:

I've found there are 2 types of talkers at gigs. Type 1 don't seem to care that there's music on, treat it like a noisy pub and carry on their convo (eg the people next to us for wet leg who got in early to see a really hyped set but were talking about their last holiday). Type 2 do seem to care about the music, but are narrating the whole thing "oh, I hope they play x, yes I love this one, this is so good" etc (eg the people next to us for libertines who seemed to be enjoying it but just didn't STFU).

Re. Smoking, apologies if I told anyone here off for smoking in John Peel, but the smoking ban came in 15 years ago, you must know by now you can't smoke inside!

Aren’t more than 50% of the JP sides open? Marquees with 50% of the sides open do not count as indoors and are not covered under the ban. 

Inconsiderate though, if your smoke is causing a nuisance to somebody else. 

15 minutes ago, Simsy said:

First time this year and didn’t notice smoking inside tents was banned until about 2am on monday morning in williams green - they need more signage as i’ve never seen somewhere with it banned before

1 hour ago, Alvoram said:

I’ve seen a lot of mention of ‘Glasto Crowd Etiquette’ on here these last few days. As a first timer I’m wondering if you guys can help with this. (We fully intend to attempt to bag tickets again for 23.) There are no ‘guides,’ nobody to teach us and there was such a mixed bag of behaviour this year, that simply doing as others do would be confusing. 

What are the key elements of good crowd etiquette that are important to you? 

Don’t mock Paul McCartney as he talks and sings and then go fucking orgamsic for Dave Grohl. Loads there clearly for the tick. 

Walking about with a stick ( slowly) people were generally kind and helpful and got out the way and helped me up from sitting down. I put lights on my stick so in the dark people could see me. In the crowds at and between stages some people did barge by but generally were kind. 
Dickheads were those who set off smoke bombs/flares in the crowd, those that just talked loudly in the middle of sets and were coked up and those that insist on sitting in the middle of a crowd just before the band comes on and not getting up. 

People getting through crowds doesn't bother me as long as they say excuse me. I actually think a much bigger problem is having chairs, blankets and people sprawled out near the front. The fact is some people need to come and go for all manner of reasons so it seems strange for that to be seen as poor crowd etiquette.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Joshuwarr said:

People getting through crowds doesn't bother me as long as they say excuse me. I actually think a much bigger problem is having chairs, blankets and people sprawled out near the front. The fact is some people need to come and go for all manner of reasons so it seems strange for that to be seen as poor crowd etiquette.

Was pretty close to front for Robert Plant and the folks sat in chairs I expected would pack them up when they stood up to watch the gig. They didn’t. Next time I’m going to quietly lift the chairs and pass the them backwards overhead. I have no problem with this if people have medical needs or disabilities but for the rest it’s just selfish. 

1 minute ago, PassingCloud said:

Was pretty close to front for Robert Plant and the folks sat in chairs I expected would pack them up when they stood up to watch the gig. They didn’t. Next time I’m going to quietly lift the chairs and pass the them backwards overhead. I have no problem with this if people have medical needs or disabilities but for the rest it’s just selfish. 

Absolutely. If people have access needs then I get that, but the situation can get quite dangerous and its very awkward for those not sat down.

10 minutes ago, Joshuwarr said:

Absolutely. If people have access needs then I get that, but the situation can get quite dangerous and its very awkward for those not sat down.

I was Access this year as I could not physically stand through a whole set.  I was either on the viewing platforms or went to the back of my crowd with my chair though.  I wouldn't dream of trying to have a chair at front of pyramid unless it was quiet early line up band.

My disability is hidden and I was really scared of being judged as being inconsiderate.  It's worth remembering the majority of disability is not visable.  For every obvious person with a wheelchair, scooter or stick there'll likely be 10 more without.  I am honestly considering taking a stick next year, not because I need it, but because it may encourage others to be more considerate as I'll have "proof" of disability.

Edited by Glast0baby