Time for Park to get screens?

Isaact

Not screen related but sound:

Watched Foals from near the stonebridge bar 2019, couldn't hear it properly because of the dip and beats from Stonebridge. 

Jack White stood on the left of the ribbon facing the stage, again couldn't hear it. 

Sat at the very top of the hill behind the Compost loos and could hear Jarvis?!?!? 

What's the crack, the wind can't have changed too much

I quite like that there were no screens. For the busier acts I saw there (ConMan, Jack White) I found entering from around the back of the soundstage to the left and filtering in. On a downslope and good view and sound. Level with the soundstage it appeared rammed but a bit further forward there was more room in the standing crowd. Wasn’t there for Wet Leg but on tv this did look the busiest set there 

Either screens and repeaters or a more considered approach to bookings and clashes.  Standing at the other stage we watched the huge mass of folk heading to the park area prior to wet leg. Decided it wasn’t worth the risk of joining them. There was also similar scenes at the Avalon .  Surely the festival would have realised that McFly would attract a large crowd and the Avalon far too small a venue? 

I'm happy with the way it is, but I know if it's an act that is gonna get a crowd I need to put the effort in to get there early. Trouble is this is not something you would know unless you've been a few times, or at least had to abort seeing a band because you got there too late. I learnt my lesson when I missed Radiohead there.

2 hours ago, Upside down frowner said:

Not screen related but sound:

Watched Foals from near the stonebridge bar 2019, couldn't hear it properly because of the dip and beats from Stonebridge. 

Jack White stood on the left of the ribbon facing the stage, again couldn't hear it. 

Sat at the very top of the hill behind the Compost loos and could hear Jarvis?!?!? 

What's the crack, the wind can't have changed too much

I swear they have some decibel limits for stages, yet that goes out the window during the late night hours. They really need to get better PA equipment. The main stages all use Martin Audio from what I saw and Arcadia has L Acoustics which is far and away the standard for large festival sound and makes a huge difference in the quality. 

On 6/27/2022 at 10:36 PM, lebenski said:

Wet Leg were just mis-staged.  The solution to that isn’t to add screens which wouldnt be necessary for 90% of sets there, and would make the stage feel less intimate and nice.   The solution would be to put Wet Leg on The Other Stage at 5PM.  A lesson learned by the organisers no doubt but these things can be hard to predict, particularly with such a long lead time coming into the fest.

I don't think it was hard to predict at all. I wanted to see them, but knew exactly what it would be like so didn't even bother to try and was elsewhere. 

You either put WetLeg on later on the Park, or on a bigger stage, or maybe even they play twice. 2pm on the Friday was always going to be stupidly rammed.

12 minutes ago, briddj said:

I don't think it was hard to predict at all. I wanted to see them, but knew exactly what it would be like so didn't even bother to try and was elsewhere. 

You either put WetLeg on later on the Park, or on a bigger stage, or maybe even they play twice. 2pm on the Friday was always going to be stupidly rammed.

To be fair, that depends on when you're making the prediction. It's very easy to say "just move them", but not always so easy to do.

Although in this case, I agree they really should have tried harder.

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

To be fair, that depends on when you're making the prediction. It's very easy to say "just move them", but not always so easy to do.

I thought it was blindingly obvious on the day they published the full line-up with times. WetLeg have (probably) been the hottest mainstream-style new indie band to appear for ages and they haven't toured for anyone to have seen them.

43 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

With Doja Cat out and Sam Fender bumped up, there must have been some space that could've been used for them.

I just found it funny that Lonely Heats Club has screens while The Park doesn't.

Think of the short people! I guess The Park has the slope to "combat" the fact that people could struggle to see, but still. I think they could consider screens, but won't be surprised if they decide not to.