Time for Park to get screens?

Isaact

This is partly a function of the fact that Wet Leg was so rammed, but Park is an odd stage in that parts of it are too low, or at a weird angle, making it very hard to see the actual stage.

I think this could be easily resolved by adding screens to the sides, like the Pyramid, Other and West Holts.

It is already being filmed for the BBC too. 

I have no idea why they haven't done it already.

Add some screens and repeaters and people could actually see and hear it from up the hill too.

Wet Leg probably should have been bumped to Other or something. I’m sure they did that for Billie Eilish in 2019 - booked for John Peel but bumped to Other. 

Bit of a failure to allow it to be so crushed at Wet Leg. If it had been a muddy year it could have been quite a bad situation. 

I was talking about this last week and have come to the conclusion that screens could work without drawing the eye from those who are actually in the right spot to see the band, but only if they were behind the A/V tower. I.e. no screens hanging by the stage at all, just some further back for the overspill.

It's just so special and live feeling when you get in front of that tower, it would lose a lot of magic if the telly was continually drawing your attention.

"Just don't look at it?" Yeah right.

1 hour ago, bexj said:

No, i love the intimacy of the Park, it would lose that with screens 

I sort of agree, we were up at the left hand side by the bar for Arlo Parks and could see the stage but i have been there begore and had trough when back centre and people start to talk amongst themselves when they can't see and lose interest. That said Arlo Parks set was beautiful , look forward to watching it back.

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I was talking about this last week and have come to the conclusion that screens could work without drawing the eye from those who are actually in the right spot to see the band, but only if they were behind the A/V tower. I.e. no screens hanging by the stage at all, just some further back for the overspill.

It's just so special and live feeling when you get in front of that tower, it would lose a lot of magic if the telly was continually drawing your attention.

"Just don't look at it?" Yeah right.

This is a good solution, allows people to chill and watch sets on the hill. More repeaters too (don’t recall there being any). Wet Leg shouldn’t have been on Park and that is the main issue really. Ribbon Tower was completely surrounded by the crowd as well. I thought you could exit to the left facing the stage but you can’t - an extra path out the park would really have helped crowd flow i think as the ways in are quite bad chokepoints

3 minutes ago, gfa said:

This is a good solution, allows people to chill and watch sets on the hill. More repeaters too (don’t recall there being any). Wet Leg shouldn’t have been on Park and that is the main issue really. Ribbon Tower was completely surrounded by the crowd as well. I thought you could exit to the left facing the stage but you can’t - an extra path out the park would really have helped crowd flow i think as the ways in are quite bad chokepoints

Of course, the other solution is don't sell so many bloody tickets.

4 minutes ago, gfa said:

If The Park had repeaters, could we end up with a situation where the arena is kind of split in two, with the stuff further up the hill being in the screen/repeater arena, but having bars in the middle of it that aren't really in the arena? I only went there yesterday and already can't remember what's there!

I need sleep.

Jack White was rammed as well. If they aren't willing to do screens then they need to stop putting these acts on the stage. Also, get the idiots in charge of the Stonebridge to either turn their music down, or have no music on at all until the stage has finished. 

I've said something like this before, stick small repeaters on for the folks on the hill with a screen centrally at the bottom (like they used to have the screen on the back of the pyramid soundstage).  You can hear the stage from up there, but it is heavily wind affected and not at all consistent.

The stage itself mostly doesn't cater to high capacity artists, but occasionally you'll either get someone who has been booked that blew up since (Wet Leg) or a 'secret' set and see the kind of chaos we are now used to.  I've only been to 2 such gigs there (Radiohead and Foals) and both were enjoyable enough, despite the distance from the stage and limits to the sound travel.

Stonebridge also seemed much louder this year, I noticed, adding to sound issues.

Wet Leg were just mis-staged.  The solution to that isn’t to add screens which wouldnt be necessary for 90% of sets there, and would make the stage feel less intimate and nice.   The solution would be to put Wet Leg on The Other Stage at 5PM.  A lesson learned by the organisers no doubt but these things can be hard to predict, particularly with such a long lead time coming into the fest.

11 minutes ago, al_coholic said:

Jack White was rammed as well. If they aren't willing to do screens then they need to stop putting these acts on the stage. Also, get the idiots in charge of the Stonebridge to either turn their music down, or have no music on at all until the stage has finished. 

yeah that was a nightmare during Wet Leg, actually found a spot where I could hear the music from the stage then Stonebridge starts blasting out 😠

How about a screen and repeaters, but they’re only used if the crowd is massive?

That way, the stage keeps its intimate feel for most acts, but in a Wet Leg/Jack White/Idles type situation where they expect a huge turnout, they can use the screen and repeaters. This would encourage people to get closer to the stage for smaller/normal acts as they do now.

Not sure if this is technically possible though!

12 minutes ago, Vidsidasta said:

How about a screen and repeaters, but they’re only used if the crowd is massive?

That way, the stage keeps its intimate feel for most acts, but in a Wet Leg/Jack White/Idles type situation where they expect a huge turnout, they can use the screen and repeaters. This would encourage people to get closer to the stage for smaller/normal acts as they do now.

Screens easily. The repeaters you likely keep on because making it just this sudden thing that comes up would make it odd if yourei the back and it just turns up.

21 minutes ago, Vidsidasta said:

Unlikely to happen, not sure why they’d logically setup a expensive screen and repeaters only for them to be used for 3 hours all weekend

On 6/27/2022 at 10:23 PM, stuartbert two hats said:

Of course, the other solution is don't sell so many bloody tickets.

Or stage acts better. I’m baffled at why they let Wet Leg play there when they shifted Billie at quite late notice in 2019. Emily’s even said they were on the wrong stage. 

Multiple acts were on the wrong stages this year leading to the crowd surges that plagued 2022. 

59 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Or stage acts better. I’m baffled at why they let Wet Leg play there when they shifted Billie at quite late notice in 2019. Emily’s even said they were on the wrong stage. 

Multiple acts were on the wrong stages this year leading to the crowd surges that plagued 2022. 

It's both. Having so many people makes it that much more obvious when they mess up the scheduling, which they undoubtedly did.

But The Park was rarely the peaceful refuge it often was in years gone by this year. Mental crowds were the norm, not the exception this year.

Edit: they probably got it wrong lots of times before, but nobody noticed because there were so many fewer people on site.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

2 hours ago, kalifire said:

The Billie move in 2019 was facilitated by The Prodigy pulling out, so a gap opened up.