Leave no Trace

Billy Corgans hair

17 minutes ago, PassingCloud said:

I don’t think would be that hard to link the wristband number to your ticket number. Makes sense to do and surprised it isn’t. 

From a technical POV probably not hard to do. Practicality wise probably a nightmare, you'd presumably need to have some sort of scanner and code on both wristband/ticket which are then linked when scanned. Then hope none of the infrastructure goes down/stop working on the outer reaches of the site. If this adds say a minute per punter on entry that's 3000+ hours added to the time to get people in and 3000+ extra staffing hours at the entry points to pay for.

You'd then presumably need people patrolling the site with scanners, likely with security accompanying if they're expected to stop drunk/high people and inform them that their registration is banned for next year. Plus presumably a lot of people to work on admin associated with that when people start emailing about how they only dropped something by accident and there were no bins nearby.

Yeah, litters bad but it's also a significantly lesser problem than it was even a decade ago. It would be weird to put in place such a massive system for something that seems to be getting better all the time. Besides, why would the festival reduce its ticket buying base like this? It's no guarantee that it will continue to sell out and be financially viable, particularly if they start banning people on such a scale.

Edited by serendipitous

1 hour ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

I was chatting with the travellers in T&C. Apparently they go "tapping" (scavenging the site on the Monday for items they can use or sell on). They do this with Michaels blessing. Whilst it's disgraceful so many people leave stuff, this struck me as a great example of reuse and recycle at work. Also just one more bit of proof of what legend Michael is.

Had this convo with our crew. We reckoned if you had the energy and means to get if off site you could easily do a few grand in a year taking down left tents and anything still usable 

1 hour ago, Pipine said:

It was my first year working on the pyramid stage litter crew and I was pleasantly surprised by the level of litter on the field every morning.  It really wasn’t that bad, definitely nothing like that stock photo.

We did a bit of a litter pick in the campsite above the pyramid once we’d finished the pyramid field and found a huge tent had been abandoned along with airbeds, brand new wellies and a huge pile of random stuff.. whoever’s camp that was obviously had more money than sense/manners but I think that’s the exception these days.. a lot of the empty spots had been left clean.

What times did you work from and too on the litter picking crew?

1 hour ago, PassingCloud said:

I think if you’re caught littering or pissing anywhere other than toilets then they take down your wristband number and black list you from buying future tickets. 

Wouldn't people just re-register? It's been so long since I needed to register, but it's not like you need to provide your national insurance number or something is it? (not that that would stop it either but you get me point).

1 hour ago, PassingCloud said:

I think if you’re caught littering or pissing anywhere other than toilets then they take down your wristband number and black list you from buying future tickets. 

Yeah in theory, in practice that almost never happens. Plenty of people still pissing in bushes this year, never saw anyone told. The simple solution is to have more toilets IMO, the queues this year (even for urinals) made it inevitable. It's easy to judge and I'm sure most who do it could have held it but some people have weak bladders.

The amount of security cameras all over the site now, I'd be very surprised if they weren't already using some facial recognition technology. Many cctv systems use FR now. 

This could be integrated with the registration system as an identification and banning service. 

3 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

The amount of security cameras all over the site now, I'd be very surprised if they weren't already using some facial recognition technology. Many cctv systems use FR now. 

This could be integrated with the registration system as an identification and banning service. 

Seems far fetched IMO.

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

The park toilet situation is frankly ridiculous .... those urinals  are tiny 

I swear they got smaller this year?! You’re right, those ones by Stonebridge had capacity for all of 12 people. Queued for ages after Wet Leg, quite honestly reckon might have been quicker to go to a long drop. 

4 minutes ago, lomac said:

Seems far fetched IMO.

Far fetched, they've been using it in large shopping centres for a good decade now 🙈😂

Edited to add reference: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/feb/24/are-you-being-scanned-how-facial-recognition-technology-follows-you-even-as-you-shop

https://www.facewatch.co.uk/2019/09/09/the-risks-and-rewards-of-facial-recognition-in-retail-retail-week-reports/

Edited by Alvoram

2 minutes ago, jimmillen said:

I swear they got smaller this year?! You’re right, those ones by Stonebridge had capacity for all of 12 people. Queued for ages after Wet Leg, quite honestly reckon might have been quicker to go to a long drop. 

problem there is there isnt a nearby alternative either .. 

22 minutes ago, lomac said:

Yeah in theory, in practice that almost never happens. Plenty of people still pissing in bushes this year, never saw anyone told. The simple solution is to have more toilets IMO, the queues this year (even for urinals) made it inevitable. It's easy to judge and I'm sure most who do it could have held it but some people have weak bladders.

I think i queues at one urinal for about 2 mins. I feel bad for the ladies though. I thought there was a big thing about all of these female urinals? I saw one on the last night in the sacred space. Not that I was on lookout but didn’t see any others and only noticed that one cause I though it was a regular urinal. 
There were plenty people pissing in the trees above the sign and the crew just made a distant half-arsed jokey fuss about it.  There were long queues for the toilet up there but just drop down a little and there’s plenty more toilets. It’s just lazy people who don’t care and give the place a bad name. 

Edited by PassingCloud

8 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

The park toilet situation is frankly ridiculous .... those urinals  are tiny 

Yep, more than once a couple of ladies appeared from behind the blue curtain of stench apologizing as I approached.

My response each time was, don't be daft. It's a piggin schlep to the nearest ladies. They are really poorly catered for up there.

2 minutes ago, PassingCloud said:

I think i queues at one urinal for about 2 mins. I feel bad for the ladies though. I thought there was a big thing about all of these female urinals? I saw one on the last night in the sacred space. Not that I was thinking on lookout but didn’t see any others and only noticed that one cause I though it was a regular urinal. 
There were plenty people pissing in the trees above the sign and the crew just made a distant half-arsed jokey fuss about it.  There were long queues for the toilet up there but just drop down a little and there’s plenty more toilets. It’s just lazy people who don’t care and give the place a bad name. 

There was at least one large female urinal at the Pyramid... Hilariously though, I saw a desperate girl being shielded by her mates and peeing on the ground just outside of it, when there was absolutely no queue for it... Because the queues for the drops and compost toilets were too long. So it clearly wasn't visible enough!

3 minutes ago, PassingCloud said:

I think i queues at one urinal for about 2 mins. I feel bad for the ladies though. I thought there was a big thing about all of these female urinals? I saw one on the last night in the sacred space. Not that I was thinking on lookout but didn’t see any others and only noticed that one cause I though it was a regular urinal. 

Only two she-pees so definitely not enough. And from the amount of feet I saw facing the long drops, either we need more urinals or men need to be less shy. That makes space for us ladies, as 98.4% of us will not squat and pee just about anywhere.

I'd suggest as well a couple of "high hygiene" spots for those needing a little extra there, for medical reasons or baby care for example... Not sure how you could filter out people who just want the glam loo experience though.

Pet peeve: I see mooncup stickers everywhere and although possible, it's not the easiest to deal with them at glasto. (I'll stop there as not to overshare 😉 )

Just now, moogster said:

Only two she-pees so definitely not enough. And from the amount of feet I saw facing the long drops, either we need more urinals or men need to be less shy. That makes space for us ladies, as 98.4% of us will not squat and pee just about anywhere.

I'd suggest as well a couple of "high hygiene" spots for those needing a little extra there, for medical reasons or baby care for example... Not sure how you could filter out people who just want the glam loo experience though.

Pet peeve: I see mooncup stickers everywhere and although possible, it's not the easiest to deal with them at glasto. (I'll stop there as not to overshare 😉 )

To be honest, it is generally just laziness on behalf of the males.

I did loo crew near Silver Hayes in 2019 and spent no small amount of time encouraging the lads to go to the urinals which are another 40 steps away 

Many just CBA but wait longer to queue for the long drops worsening the situation for the ladies and then piss all over the seat and surrounding.

I know folk are bevvied / on the gear but pretty poor show.

Just now, Jay Pee said:

I did loo crew near Silver Hayes in 2019 and spent no small amount of time encouraging the lads to go to the urinals which are another 40 steps away 

Many just CBA but wait longer to queue for the long drops worsening the situation for the ladies and then piss all over the seat and surrounding.

Thanks! Maybe we could put posters on the back wall of the longdrops saying: have you thought about using urinals instead?

7 minutes ago, Jay Pee said:

This genuinely pisses me off so much, see it all the time.

2 hours ago, maelzoid said:

I don't know either way, but it is certainly doable. When your ticket is scanned and you receive the wristband, it's not a great technical challenge to link the two. I think if people knew this was the case and the consequences of being caught, it would actually go a very long way to reducing awful behaviour.

The tickets are never "scanned" as such - when you see them being waved under a device it's a UV light and they're checking the ticket is real - it's not connected to anything. While possible, given the length of the queues already it'd be impractical. Unless you move everything to a cashless wristband system. And you still can't stop someone re-registering with a different picture at a different address.

1 hour ago, moogster said:

Thanks! Maybe we could put posters on the back wall of the longdrops saying: have you thought about using urinals instead?

Or just "please sit down". I'll admit I'm a gent that doesn't like the urinals but if I'm going to use a seated toilet instead (without a moveable seat) I'm going to sit on it.

1 hour ago, Alvoram said:

Didn't the police try using it for a festival to catch the dealers/good for nouts on the way in about a decade ago and get promptly told to go fuck themselves by those attending and the organisers when they realised the possible loss of ticket scales. 

Having a camera is one thing, facial recognition is OTT

I love how the media linked the ‘after watching Greta’ and ‘this is the mess they made’ in an obvious dog whistle so the comments below would be filled with accusations of hypocrisy.

Even if the photos were from this year, how do they know that the ones watching Greta were the ones dropping the litter?

Plus I didn’t watch Greta and didn’t drop any litter so their argument is nonsense.

I didn't even discover the male urinals until Friday, had no idea the big blue tarps (yes, the ones that say urinals on them) were urinals... Life got so much better once I discovered that. They were generally quite quiet though, never had to queue for them once.