Leave no Trace

Billy Corgans hair

It seemed a lot cleaner this year, i noticed a lot more people keeping hold of their empty cans and taking them to the bins at the end of sets than in previous years, and when i left Pylon field, it looked like everyone around me had taken all their stuff with them, still plenty of people about when i left though so hopefully those who left after us also cleaned up their area

• Upvote 1

Absolutely noticeably cleaner this year! I didn't find myself walking on cans or plastic bottles even around Pyramid. The recycling staff do such an amazing job but I noticed everyone seemed to be taking their things to bins more this year too. 

Annoyingly I saw some people next to us had left a big tipi, it's so frustrating to see the laziness 😔

Having said that, it feels like it's the minority that are selfish enough to do this, which means we're heading in the right direction 

Thanks to everyone for keeping the place clean, second best I've ever seen after 2019.

People took responsibility for their own litter on the whole, helped by bins being regularly emptied even if it felt like there were less than usual.

I thought the camp areas looked much better this year than normal. I was in Park Home a lot of people had taken their tents when I had left, also I went looking for some food a hour after Pet Shop Boys, and remember thinking how clean the other stage was, there was litter pickers there mind 

Edited by waynewdk

2 hours ago, prestonmike said:

It seemed a lot cleaner this year, i noticed a lot more people keeping hold of their empty cans and taking them to the bins at the end of sets than in previous years, and when i left Pylon field, it looked like everyone around me had taken all their stuff with them, still plenty of people about when i left though so hopefully those who left after us also cleaned up their area

We were also camped in Pylon, and found it to be much tidier than some of the other fields during the festival, and being left very clean as people left. 

I was in Dairy and it seemed very clean - couldn’t see any abandoned tents. Some rubbish bags but they were left neatly. Some Tips were full on the way to the coach gate so it was understandable.

re crowd rubbish - so many bins were overflowing all over the site, they need to sort this out really

Edited by gfa

Maybe the myth that the tents go to the homeless has finally been killed off? Loads of people I've known down the years say they left tents at festivals so hobos can have them - while a minority of festivals do do this it's not really a practical solution for an event like Glasto.  

Was walking along the path through  Oxlyers on Sunday afternoon and made a point of looking in…looked like Lime Kiln, really clean for day 5 (not picking specifically on Oxlyers, but in the past it has been a right tip by the end of the festival). Message is definitely getting through. One thing I did notice though was lots of chairs in the recycling drops. They weren’t that readily available this year (and they were £20 for the crap ones that used to be around £7!…guess that’s what happens in a monopoly!)… If the festival held on to them and let people use them for free next year it would cut down on waste. A couple of recent festivals here did that this year and everyone that used one left it back at the end for them to be given out again next year (chairs aren’t allowed at the stages of any of the main festivals here, so just for campsite use). Seemed a rather sensible and useful approach. 

What was with all the cool boxes and bags left in the other field after PSBs?

Is that people drinking their last supplies and not being arsed to carry them? There was a fair few left in the field, and lots of ice blocks. 

Also, whichever bar is using reusable plastic pint pots needs to change it’s policy, I’m guessing there’s a deposit, but they were just being dumped all over. 

Never did find the SL WW rep, but we cleaned up a bag full of rubbish from around tents in our area of SL before leaving anyway. 

What's the general consensus on the best thing to do with our neatly made up bags of rubbish (plus any larger items that might have e.g. broke and won't fit in a bag): i) leave by the ridiculous pile of bags at the rubbish point and cause more chaos there, spilling into paths, bags breaking etc; or ii) leave more neatly sorted at our camping spot a couple of minutes away from the rubbish point?

Never quite sure, have this debate every very tired Monday morning at Glastonbury.

We we packed up late morning Sunday, we packed up our area obs... I have a gut feeling the nos crew we we camped near probably were going to leave a trace but the other groups seemed to have kept tidy as they went along, so I have some faith in them.

In generally, it felt a lot better

15 hours ago, Billy Corgans hair said:

Just been scrolling through twitter and seeing loads of Climate deniers posting a photo from a decade ago claiming it's this year. I was going to argue with them but I have the blues and I cba.

Does anyone have any 'leave no trace ' photos either good or bad

Screenshot_20220627-195219-138.png

Without fail, a version of this appears every single year.

10 minutes ago, Festival Liam said:

What's the general consensus on the best thing to do with our neatly made up bags of rubbish (plus any larger items that might have e.g. broke and won't fit in a bag): i) leave by the ridiculous pile of bags at the rubbish point and cause more chaos there, spilling into paths, bags breaking etc; or ii) leave more neatly sorted at our camping spot a couple of minutes away from the rubbish point?

Never quite sure, have this debate every very tired Monday morning at Glastonbury.

We used the garbage area a lot but it started to overflow, so Monday morning I put a few in there and then added to a neat pile that was started on a corner, where I noticed the dustbin van lorry always passed by

I'd obviously like to see less litter, but the issue is not as simple as 'put it in the bin' even though I do that. We all saw loads of overflowing bins all weekend long. So then you need more bin emptying, which then means more bin lorries cruising around a site with no roads and full of pedestrians. It is a logistical nightmare.

It's a shame that the reusable cup thing did not catch on, and paper cups are the norm again, but from a speed-of-service and H&S standpoint, I understand the reasons.