Sticklinch Thoughts?

Hutchmaster

I was on the external gate at Sticklinch over Saturday night. One actually jumped into the security campsite and got put through their fence so hard that the panel was in 2 triangles afterwards. 
There seemed to be loads of us Oxfammers up there as a ‘presence’ but very little actual security - especially considering that they were camped there! They will definitely be beefing it up next year.

Other than that - really quiet though - the dullest shifts I have ever done!

Edited by amfy

Yeah notice the security were more rigorous in checking wrist bands both in and out from Friday onwards.

Agree there could have been more toilets, maybe a few additional compostable ones (in the main area) as an alternative. Queue was pretty bad for them in the mornings.

Showers were great to have, could have done with more of them as other have said the queue got really long in the morning. I ended up waiting until the afternoon and coming back to my tent around 3-4 everyone day to have break and have a shower (were usually empty). I also had a shower every night I came back as well, they seems to open quite late. Made all the difference. Have say was quite disappointing how people treated the mens showers, discarded clothes, underwear, bottles etc. strewn everyone where. I went for a shower on Saturday afternoon and there were two cleaners in checking them, they were not happy. The word "Feral" was used multiple times, could do nothing but agree with them.

Could may do with another food stalls. Everyone wanted to go for this one particular stall (can't remember it's name). Food, coffee & smoothies from it were excellent though.

Good mixture of ages on my row (2 person scout tent) and everyone was really friendly.

Vibe was very chilled out and everyone was respectful. No mad parties late into the evening which was nice to come back to some peace & quiet.

Edited by Major_Tom108

Stayed in a 2 person yurt with the wife. 
Think it cost £475 between us. 
We stayed on Worthy View in 2019 and found it to be good but you wouldn’t want that hill in bad weather so when Sticklinch got announced we decided to move over there instead. 
Also I found the showers in WV to be very long queues in 2019, it was explained by the fact that the water couldn’t be pumped quick enough up the hill in 2019 and it was so hot they had to ration the water on site apparently. 
So that’s why we chose Sticklinch this year. I’ve stayed in there previously when it was West Campervans so I was familiar with the walk to the stages and in good weather it’s not a problem, getting to the Other Stage in less than 20 mins is fine. 
They could defo do with another food outlet but it’s not a priority for me as there’s plenty of options on the main site   20 mins away. The healthy food stall seemed a lot busier than the greasy spoon breaky gaff. Suppose it depends what you’re after. 
I can’t say I was concerned with the queues for the showers, I walked straight in at 8am on Friday morning and waited maybe half an hour on Saturday and Sunday around midday.

The toilets were great, nice and clean, constantly being monitored by staff and to my knowledge only failed to flush  once when the lorry was connected to them in order to suck all the shite out. 🤨

The car park is so so close also. Very much a priority for me when considering location and the need to carry gear to the tent.

3 hours ago, Beeswing said:

Other thing, the womens shower queue seemed to have moved a lot quicker then the mens. Was there more womens showers?

I may have misunderstood her, but my partner said there were 2 rows of womens showers (so 36-40ish in total) vs 1 row of mens showers (16-20ish).

Overall I thought it was comparable to tangerine fields - the main plus point being that the camping area is inside the festival in SL.

For next year I would like to see more showers & toilets, in particular showers - which as well as lessening the morning queue could allow for at least one block to be open at all times.

Edited by Gre

My partner and I stayed in a 4 person bell tent. There were actually way more couples who did that then we had originally expected. It was massive, and we saw groups of 4 all easily fit in their bell tents as well. Some observations from me.

1. Definitely needed more toilets, which lots of people had already said. We were not aware there were compost loos until they put a sign up. But I think maybe some compost loos or additional toilets in the main bit would have been great. 

2. Would have loved more vendors and a bar.

3. We got a coach up and a shuttle bus would have been highly appreciated. That walk on the first day was horrid in the heat. We saw the car park was super close and spent the entire weekend jealous of everyone who was easily ferrying all their things. 

4. The showers were appreciated. The womens did have an extra row of showers than the mens. To avoid the morning queues we would shower when we had returned from whatever night activities we had got back from. The staff originally told me showers closed at midnight, but they were definitely 24/7

5. The vibe was great, we made some lovely new friends with the groups in the bell tents close to us which was great.

6. More seating need the food vendors would be great

Overall we would definitely do sticklinch again. Hopefully with a car next time

Having done WV and SL now, I much preferred SL. I was in a 2 person scout on my own, row A, met some lovely people. We were very close to the main entrance, which was fantastic for trips to the car, I did 3 trips will all my stuff within an hour of arriving. Only issue with being that close, is that the ticket stewards thought it was hilarious to do a big announcement for all arriving  glasto virgins. Got slightly bored of that especially early in the morning. Toilets were great, only had a long queue once, other times managed to time it right. Urinals were a god send. Shower was lovely. Security on Gully gate was definitely a bit lacking on Wednesday/Thursday, but noticeably got better after that. It is a long walk, which was very painful, but if I decide to go back again then I would go for SL again. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, al_coholic said:

Having done WV and SL now, I much preferred SL. I was in a 2 person scout on my own, row A, met some lovely people. We were very close to the main entrance, which was fantastic for trips to the car, I did 3 trips will all my stuff within an hour of arriving. Only issue with being that close, is that the ticket stewards thought it was hilarious to do a big announcement for all arriving  glasto virgins. Got slightly bored of that especially early in the morning. Toilets were great, only had a long queue once, other times managed to time it right. Urinals were a god send. Shower was lovely. Security on Gully gate was definitely a bit lacking on Wednesday/Thursday, but noticeably got better after that. It is a long walk, which was very painful, but if I decide to go back again then I would go for SL again. 

Hi neighbour, it was nice to meet you. 🙂 

Is that what the applauses were for? I never did get around to asking. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, briddj said:

Yes, lots of people were getting into Sticklinch over that fence.

Heard one person say to his mate on his phone "I'm in now". Presume he didn't know there would be another huge fence and security check... can't be many who got in that way? Or maybe they just made a sprint for it through the gate?

I heard the same bloke I think - he was talking loudly in his phone but hadn’t realised he hadn’t reached the fence yet. 

I really liked it. Toilets were clean and stocked all week, if you were up before 7.30 getting a shower was a breeze. 

Wouldn't have minded some more seating by the food or maybe a communal fire for when you returned of an evening, but other than that I thought it was excellent. Less food options than WV but to be honest you were literally next door to the festival so that was not so much of a problem.

We are definitely rebooking if we get tickets next year.

1 hour ago, Alvoram said:

Hi neighbour, it was nice to meet you. 🙂 

Is that what the applauses were for? I never did get around to asking. 

Nice to meet you both as well!

yeah, they would start with "Ladies and Gentlemen can I have your attention please" then announce the persons name, say it was their first time, and all the others would start clapping!

5 minutes ago, al_coholic said:

Nice to meet you both as well!

yeah, they would start with "Ladies and Gentlemen can I have your attention please" then announce the persons name, say it was their first time, and all the others would start clapping!

Oh we couldn't hear that much detail, just the clapping thankfully.

At one point we joked about not getting a clap ourselves, and suggested we should go and ask if we can re-enter just for the applause. 🙈😂

13 minutes ago, Battlescar said:

How easy was it to drive in and out of the car park?  Any queues?  There were no delays either way at WV this year.

Very easy indeed. Absolutely no problem whatsoever. For me this is really the main selling point of WV and SL it makes Day 1 and Day 6 a lot easier to handle.

• Upvote 1

I liked the 24h showers, but that was probably about the only advantage over WV.

Overall I found the site too far away, and lacking the atmosphere of WV. I would not be using SL out of preference.

On the plus side I did get to visit Cinemageddon, which I'd not seen before. The site is handy for the coop, and is a level walk from the coach park.

We really liked Sticklinch - first time doing any pre-erected camping at Glasto so nothing to pitch it against really

Toilets and showers - timed correctly not an issue (Im an early riser normally so never had to queue) - defo could have been more food vendors (especially more than one that did proper coffee)

Was there a communal camp fire anywhere on the site - there had been communications that there would be - but I never saw anything?

53 minutes ago, pauladam said:

Was there a communal camp fire anywhere on the site - there had been communications that there would be - but I never saw anything?

You mean like Strummerville or Tiny Tea Tent, but specifically in Sticklinch? 

16 hours ago, clarkete said:

You mean like Strummerville or Tiny Tea Tent, but specifically in Sticklinch? 

yeah - exactly like this - word was they have that in WV and there would be in SL too - it was mentioned in an email reply to someone on the sticklinch FB group from someone from the WV/SL team - but I just looked through the welcome PDF we all got and nothing mentioned in there - so they must have changed their mind

3 hours ago, pauladam said:

yeah - exactly like this - word was they have that in WV and there would be in SL too - it was mentioned in an email reply to someone on the sticklinch FB group from someone from the WV/SL team - but I just looked through the welcome PDF we all got and nothing mentioned in there - so they must have changed their mind

Oh I hadn't heard that, but knew there was something at WV