Sticklinch Thoughts?

Hutchmaster

First year of Sticklinch this year so thought it'd be worth getting people's opinins. For context, I was in a 2 man bellpad by myself.

The bellpad itself was nice and roomy, was able to fit in a double airbed (although it was a squeeze with the pole coming down the middle!) and all my belongings with space to spare. Only downside of the tent itself was that it could do with something to keep the heat out if it's a scorcher; lay down on my airbed for 20 minutes on the Wednesday and puddles of sweat were forming.

The site itself could do with some improvements in terms of facilities. Not sure how it compares with Worthy View, but they could have easily done with another food trader or two as lines were pretty long each morning; waited around 45 mins for a coffee on the Sunday. Also more benches outside the traders would have been a good shout; they definitely had the space for it! The toilets were clean and well kept, again usually a long line if you went at peak morning time but tended to move quickly; same could be said of the showers (although opted for a wet wipe wash from Saturday onwards).

While it's pretty out of the way, I found it was a nice walk to the stages. You're on the railway track in about 10-15 minutes or so and I can imagine Worthy View is a more punishing walk! One thing I'd love to see is a shuttle bus from Gate A to the Sticklinch gate for us getting the coach to the festival; it was an absolutely brutal walk on the first day.

Overall, I was pretty happy with Sticklinch, especially considering it was its first year. Would definitely consider staying there again (tickets pending!), especially if they offer a shuttle bus to the gate next year.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Hutchmaster said:

First year of Sticklinch this year so thought it'd be worth getting people's opinins. For context, I was in a 2 man bellpad by myself.

The bellpad itself was nice and roomy, was able to fit in a double airbed (although it was a squeeze with the pole coming down the middle!) and all my belongings with space to spare. Only downside of the tent itself was that it could do with something to keep the heat out if it's a scorcher; lay down on my airbed for 20 minutes on the Wednesday and puddles of sweat were forming.

The site itself could do with some improvements in terms of facilities. Not sure how it compares with Worthy View, but they could have easily done with another food trader or two as lines were pretty long each morning; waited around 45 mins for a coffee on the Sunday. Also more benches outside the traders would have been a good shout; they definitely had the space for it! The toilets were clean and well kept, again usually a long line if you went at peak morning time but tended to move quickly; same could be said of the showers (although opted for a wet wipe wash from Saturday onwards).

While it's pretty out of the way, I found it was a nice walk to the stages. You're on the railway track in about 10-15 minutes or so and I can imagine Worthy View is a more punishing walk! One thing I'd love to see is a shuttle bus from Gate A to the Sticklinch gate for us getting the coach to the festival; it was an absolutely brutal walk on the first day.

Overall, I was pretty happy with Sticklinch, especially considering it was its first year. Would definitely consider staying there again (tickets pending!), especially if they offer a shuttle bus to the gate next year.

How much does it cost to get into it and do you buy it separately to your festival ticket?

1 minute ago, fraybentos1 said:

How much does it cost to get into it and do you buy it separately to your festival ticket?

2 man bellepad was £395 and bought separate from the ticket. There were cheaper options (scout tents) but can't remember how much they were going for. It's pretty much a Worthy View alternative.

I stayed in a 2 person Scout Tent with my friend in Sticklinch after having done 2 years in Worthy View. I really liked the whole experience, the campsite I found to be really quiet with no trouble and really close to the car park. The toilets seemed ok although there were always queues for the sit-down loss. The tent itself was larger than I thought it would be with plenty of room for me and my friend.

There isn't as much there as WV and I swear on the website it said there was going to be a bar in SL which there wasn't. I supposed there's time for a few more traders to pop up there.

The walk compared to WV is longer but easier as you don't have to do a hill like you do for WV. It's supposed to be the more accessible version of WV which it is to be fair to them.

4 minutes ago, jparx said:

Yeah I was going to ask what the prices were like? Can’t see the info up on the site anymore. Interested in this or WV if we do next year, bur I can’t seem to find all that much info about Sticklinch?

My 2 person Scout Tent cost £325 with £2.50 booking fee. £50 extra for car parking.

It's very much worth it in my opinion as you can park in the field right next to your tent and not have to walk ages to find a plot and the tent is already set-up. It also means you can do down a day or so later too. Overall I really enjoyed the experience would definitely do it again.

They will need to beef up security there next year, wether they use the more sturdier / taller fence as seen round the rest of the site. Clearly identified as the weak point by people trying to break in.

As others have said more toilets and showers would make the site much better. Was good not having to queue to get into the main site for security checks as Worthy View the queues were long in 2017.

31 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I stayed in a 2 person Scout Tent with my friend in Sticklinch after having done 2 years in Worthy View. I really liked the whole experience, the campsite I found to be really quiet with no trouble and really close to the car park. The toilets seemed ok although there were always queues for the sit-down loss. The tent itself was larger than I thought it would be with plenty of room for me and my friend.

There isn't as much there as WV and I swear on the website it said there was going to be a bar in SL which there wasn't. I supposed there's time for a few more traders to pop up there.

The walk compared to WV is longer but easier as you don't have to do a hill like you do for WV. It's supposed to be the more accessible version of WV which it is to be fair to them.

My 2 person Scout Tent cost £325 with £2.50 booking fee. £50 extra for car parking.

It's very much worth it in my opinion as you can park in the field right next to your tent and not have to walk ages to find a plot and the tent is already set-up. It also means you can do down a day or so later too. Overall I really enjoyed the experience would definitely do it again.

Was the scout tent the same as the ones at WV? Thinking one of them and a beefier air mattress or even a folding camping bed might be the play next time if we go to alleviate back issues..!

35 minutes ago, TheGoodWillOut said:

was Sticlinch  previously campervan east?  Enjoyed staying there in 2019 if so

it was campervan west, which only existed for a year or two.

12 minutes ago, jparx said:

Was the scout tent the same as the ones at WV? Thinking one of them and a beefier air mattress or even a folding camping bed might be the play next time if we go to alleviate back issues..!

I never used the 2 person tent in WV but I’m pretty sure it is. There was plenty of room for 2 air beds and space in the middle then you have room at the door of the tent too. 

• Upvote 1

I thought it was great especially once you persuaded the barrow boys out of their barrows to give you a hand with your stuff. Crisps were not allowed on site by the owner. Didn’t miss the killer hill at all. I’d say the walk to stages was comparable and what you lose in not wandering through the green fields you gain in a spacious, non crowded walk through quiet camping fields. 15 mins to the Other, 20 to the Park. Queues for showers seemed a lot less than WV. All were cubicles on the womens side at least. Paid £3 to dry my hair quickly a couple of times. Yes needs more water and washing points. Compost loos at the back were so much better than portaloos. Also found them better than the flushers as so tiny and the smell lingered.  Seats outside the vendors would be welcome. Bought excellent coffee from Hedonist and the drinks stall (no food). Yes needs a better fence as there were a few intruders. Access in and out was a pleasure. 

1 hour ago, jparx said:

Yes exactly the same. Recommend the decathlon base and a 10 cm SIM. Slept well to the Arcadia lullaby

This is all worth knowing. I dont think I can face that hill again. Its the Joe Strummer part that gets me. If there was a bus from the coach station I would definately go for it. Without that there would be no point for me as I could not walk all that way from the station it wouldnt be worth it.

Was quiet and car park right next door and stewards to help carry stuff. I believe you could also hire bedding etc in some of the bigger tents. The pod pads looked tiny and had no windows so looked abut small. We had a 2 person Bellepad £395. But there were only 3 water points. I hadn’t realised how far it was to walk anywhere (mobility issues) so couldn’t just nip back for a rest etc. Handy for Park, Other and Arcadia. 

Stayed in a 2 person podpad. It did the job, bed was narrow enough but saved having to bring an air mattress. Wasn't the cleanest when we arrived but no issue.

Could do with more toilets in the site - maybe add more compost toilets up the back.

Other thing, the womens shower queue seemed to have moved a lot quicker then the mens. Was there more womens showers?

Spoke with one of the security staff working there, said they have to give feedback after the festival is over and his main feedback was it needed more toilets. 

8 minutes ago, Beeswing said:

Stayed in a 2 person podpad. It did the job, bed was narrow enough but saved having to bring an air mattress. Wasn't the cleanest when we arrived but no issue.

Could do with more toilets in the site - maybe add more compost toilets up the back.

Other thing, the womens shower queue seemed to have moved a lot quicker then the mens. Was there more womens showers?

Spoke with one of the security staff working there, said they have to give feedback after the festival is over and his main feedback was it needed more toilets. 

There were half as many showers as in Worthy View. One truck for each sex. So I guess the capacity is half of WV.

I can only deduce that there weren't as many women on Sticklinch. It's the only reason the queue was so much smaller. 

Also, was surprised that the showers didn't have a steward to keep the flow going. On the Sunday the queues were much shorter for the men, but girls were just going into the men's side with their boyfriends to avoid the queue which slowed down the men's. 🤷

As for a general review of Sticklinch, I was doubtful it would be better than WV but found it much more chilled. 

The toilets were much better than WV, and stalls of comparable number for the capacity.

The queues for the men's showers on the Saturday were bad, took me 45 minutes and that was going at 12.30.

Think we will be booking there next year (hopefully).

On 6/27/2022 at 8:13 PM, Tom_12 said:

They will need to beef up security there next year, wether they use the more sturdier / taller fence as seen round the rest of the site. Clearly identified as the weak point by people trying to break in.

As others have said more toilets and showers would make the site much better. Was good not having to queue to get into the main site for security checks as Worthy View the queues were long in 2017.

Yes, lots of people were getting into Sticklinch over that fence.

Heard one person say to his mate on his phone "I'm in now". Presume he didn't know there would be another huge fence and security check... can't be many who got in that way? Or maybe they just made a sprint for it through the gate?

On 6/27/2022 at 8:00 PM, Ozanne said:

Was definitely never the mention of a bar in Sticklinch, iirc. 

9 minutes ago, briddj said:

Heard one person say to his mate on his phone "I'm in now". Presume he didn't know there would be another huge fence and security check... can't be many who got in that way? Or maybe they just made a sprint for it through the gate?

Unsure on the last point but the security measures at that gate weren’t anything like the other main gates so may have well been identified, quick show of a wristband and no thorough checking until later in the weekend.

That also included witnessing sleeping security on the access gates next to the main fence for the perimeter track!

11 minutes ago, briddj said:

I was working in Sticklinch on Friday over night. Security were kept very busy. They found a big grappling hook in the field at one point. Think they'd already caught the person who used it. 

Found Sticklinch to be decent enough.  Shuttle from PGA would be nice, but didn't find the walk with all our stuff too taxing on the Thursday.  Definitely needs more toilets!  At one point the whole system shut down and nothing was flushing, the queues were absolutely insane for about 2 hours.

A bit more of a variety of food would be great, only seemed to offer lots of stuff in a bun.  Also, coffee lines were deadly at times.

Did have a perfect Glasto moment one morning where they started playing "I wanna dance with somebody" in the mens showers and we all had a wee singalong...class!  

Overall the mood was chill, and it seemed pretty quiet in the early hours too.  Would defo stay again (tickets permitting)

7 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

I was working in Sticklinch on Friday over night. Security were kept very busy. They found a big grappling hook in the field at one point. Think they'd already caught the person who used it. 

I was in the further field and saw nobody come in, but there were a couple of security folks stationed in places. Also the security into sticklinch checked our bands in and out every time. 

Bunkpad had two bunkbeds which were comfy, some shelves and a bin. 

Edited by clarkete