Things missing this year…

Ryan1984

2 hours ago, Pinhead said:

Its was shite wasnt it. I was getting delayed txts from people hours after they'd sent them. Sometimes it was perfect, other times good signal but no slots so its all down to capacity on the station.

2 hours ago, MrZigster said:

Yes. Could seemingly text out fine. None of my texts got through to my friend on site after the Wednesday evening. They finally got some of them Monday afternoon. I'm with EE as well so rather pissed off about that. Probably stopped a few meet ups.

2 hours ago, HomicidalGoat said:

On Vodafone and I genuinely think there were only about 2 spots on the whole site where I could reliably get mobile data. Even SMS and cellular calling was a no-go most places.  Was a nightmare to organise anything with people. 

Also the poor reception seemed to drain my battery way faster - is that a thing? Like it was if my poor phone was scrambling about to find a signal and was being sucked dry in the process. On the Thursday I used my phone for less than half an hour of screen on time but I was on 10% by about 10pm. Usually on that with five hours of screen on time! 

I was EE in the past but not this year so it’s good to know it wasn’t just cos of that!

I wonder if it contributed to more people milling about at the back of stages waiting for friends before heading into the thick of the crowds, and making it seem busier. We definitely held out at the back to meet up at “landmarks”, for example at the front of ribbon tower before wet leg. 
And yeah I also didn’t meet up with a few over the weekend who I wasn’t camped with due to it. 

First world problems I know haha but I only really mentioned it as it seemed so much worse than other years (went 2012-2017 previously). 

On 6/28/2022 at 2:50 AM, kidpresentable said:

Agreed, San Remo just looked like a garage forecourt.

I missed The Blues and felt far too much of Silver Hayes' character has been stripped away this year.

What was the deal with barren dumping ground of pipes and industrial storage containers diagonally from San Remo (directly opposite the cut through). Looked terrible, and strange given the aesthetic effort made across the site

On 6/27/2022 at 10:18 PM, billum said:

A decent and exciting range of ales in Cockmill's Bar by the Acoustic Stage was missing this year - totally generic range of beers and the same as every other bar on  site, which was a bit disappointing. Still a great bar, and still quieter than most other bars which was handy. 

Agreed.... This was my biggest disappointment. It's still described as a real ale bar on the website but it's just got the same selection as Avalon etc. I planned on spending a lot of money in here in the Wednesday but just got stuck into my own selection instead.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, D-Low said:

Also the glad changes were horrible. Massive sound bleed spilling between the areas. Sometimes less is more, there's no need to cram a large stage in every possible corner when it just doesn't work.

Agreed. Made a mess of the Glade / Spike bar area and sound bleed also totally spoilt the vibe in permaculture. 

On 6/28/2022 at 9:41 PM, clarkete said:

As @CaledonianGonzo said, they announced beforehand where they were selling it from instead of the trucks. I passed one of their stalls Monday and they had flavoured milk.

I went to the one at the Pyramid field and they only had semi skinned!

connor-mc-gregor-gtfo.gif

However, I think they'll be back next year. The reason there was no campsite milky milky was down to a lack of staff. The road, the busy road, up by Hitchin Hill/Lime Kiln usually has a few security people telling us to stand back etc as theres constant traffic but there was none this year.

So a bit of beeping going on instead which is unusual. 

Edited by The Nal

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

I went to the one at the Pyramid field and they only had semi skinned!

connor-mc-gregor-gtfo.gif

However, I think they'll be back next year. The reason there was no campsite milky milky was down to a lack of staff. The road, the busy road, up by Hitchin Hill/Lime Kiln usually has a few security people telling us to stand back etc as theres constant traffic but there was none this year.

So a bit of beeping going on instead which is unusual. 

Yes some of the road stewards seemed a bit more sheepish than usual about stopping people, which makes sense where people on here have said they had to fill in with volunteers. 

20 hours ago, alibear said:

The hubby and I randomly got talking to the DJ Greg Wilson before his set in NYC Downlow and he said Genosys wasn't there due to a lack of funds...probably the same with other parts of the festival, coupled with the standard staff troubles over the past couple of years.

The guys that run Genosys said it went mouldy whilst in storage and they didn't have money / time to fix it. I'm not sure we'll ever see it back, which is a shame.

22 hours ago, HomicidalGoat said:

On Vodafone and I genuinely think there were only about 2 spots on the whole site where I could reliably get mobile data. Even SMS and cellular calling was a no-go most places.  Was a nightmare to organise anything with people. 

That's strange, I'm with a provider that piggy backs on the Vodafone network and I had pretty good reception throughout. However, I was the only one of our group who had decent reception so it didn't make much difference. I only used my phone for photos and to check on the secret gigs.

18 hours ago, Mr. B said:

What was the deal with barren dumping ground of pipes and industrial storage containers diagonally from San Remo (directly opposite the cut through). Looked terrible, and strange given the aesthetic effort made across the site

I was showing newbies around and just said this is where the festival ran out of money. As it looked like that

• Upvote 1

Personally preferred San Remo to the old Beat Hotel setup, found it more open and liked the bars to either side.

Don't remember seeing the pipes & containers. Were they part of the San Remo schtick, or just someone had forgotten to get rid of them?

Silver Hayes silent disco

Tbh all of silver Hayes was a bit shit. The revamp did it no favours

Heavy music, would've liked a earache stage rather than a couple of dotted acts

Crowd control

Was there less food vendors as the queues were horrendous

Still my favourite one yet

1 hour ago, essjay2009 said:

The guys that run Genosys said it went mouldy whilst in storage and they didn't have money / time to fix it. I'm not sure we'll ever see it back, which is a shame.

When I asked them before the festival they told me Genosys proper would be back next year