Time to throw the towel in?

JoeyT

17 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

I arrived on a See Tickets coach on Weds at 9.45am and it took until 11.15am to get through.

Mate of mine got a later See Tickets coach arrived at 6pm and walked straight in.

Our coach arrived about 3.30pm and we pretty much walked straight through. It was a little slower-moving as we got through the zigzg and behind that first fence, but at no point did we stop or even slow to a crawl. 

On 6/27/2022 at 6:15 PM, Ozanne said:

I presume footwear is key too but those damn stones and wood chippings were the bane of my life 😂

I totally wasn't prepared for those stones. I know everyone was banging on about wearing hiking boots vs trainers but I thought that was for comfort, not to keep my feet safe! Some of them genuinely hurt!

Having started this thread on Monday, I can now see I was clearly having a massive post festival come down 😂

Not going again has now become inconceivable.

I'll most certainly be cutting down the amount of time I spend at the festival though. I have always gone Tuesday morning and given I live local I've got options on what strategy to deploy.

• Upvote 1

On 6/27/2022 at 5:35 PM, JoeyT said:

How do you know when it’s time?

I left during Diana Ross yesterday and being lucky enough to live fairly close was home / showered / fed by 6pm.

Legs / feet in pieces and by that point felt I’d hit my limit with the place.

I’m comfortable with the thought of only doing Friday - Sunday next time around but have a nagging in the back of my mind that perhaps it’s just time to knock it on the head.

Confused by how I feel due to how excited I’d been in the build up only for it not to 100% click.

Any others feeling the same?

I was expecting to feel this as I felt it post 2019.  I genuinely enjoy smaller more immersive festivals these days. 

But I didn't.  I arrive Monday lunchtime and left Monday lunchtime and I didn't really want to leave then.  

On 6/27/2022 at 6:14 PM, steviewevie said:

Ok...I am a seasoned marathon runner, regularly run 60ish miles per week...and I was fucked by Thursday. Legs/back totally buggered. I think it's probably my age (52), never used to be this bad.

Thanks for posting this. Thought it was just me being old and really unfit. Good to know fit people feel fucked as well.

Was seriously telling myself that I was done with it all on the two journeys back to the car on Monday. Was parked in Purple 2 which is about as close as you can get to Gate B these days by the looks of things (the ones down and to the left look exclusively staff/volunteers now).

That fucking hill up through those bits though. Worse than the infamous Hill Of Death. And that's after getting to Gate B which is uphill from anywhere inside the site.

thumbnail_OFF-SITE_TRAFFIC_INFORMATION_MAP_2022_v3.thumb.jpg.db5cd96d96175ba8b0735089bb61ef19.jpg

By the time I'd got packed up and my breath back my mindset had changed to, "Well, you made it. You didn't die like you felt you might. It's doable. Worth it? Almost definitely. Try next year then".  Disappointed that I felt like couldn't do my preferred trip back on-site for one last wander as I was way too fucked for that given that hill again. Haven't managed that for years actually thinking about it.

There must be an easier, less strenuous, not feel like it may kill me way of doing things. Maybe aim for the west car parks so less hills? Definitely pack less so I don't have to do two runs (though always found this difficult).

Any suggestions welcome.

Every single year I say 'it's my last....' 

I do dilly dally between applying for punter tickets for what would, I imagine, be a really different festival but as I've always worked it I'm just too used to the benefits (crew bars are an absolute godsend, driving on site etc). 

7 days ago I was 100% not returning, this morning I was working out my annual leave for next year 🙂

30 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

Thanks for posting this. Thought it was just me being old and really unfit. Good to know fit people feel fucked as well.

Was seriously telling myself that I was done with it all on the two journeys back to the car on Monday. Was parked in Purple 2 which is about as close as you can get to Gate B these days by the looks of things (the ones down and to the left look exclusively staff/volunteers now).

That fucking hill up through those bits though. Worse than the infamous Hill Of Death. And that's after getting to Gate B which is uphill from anywhere inside the site.

thumbnail_OFF-SITE_TRAFFIC_INFORMATION_MAP_2022_v3.thumb.jpg.db5cd96d96175ba8b0735089bb61ef19.jpg

By the time I'd got packed up and my breath back my mindset had changed to, "Well, you made it. You didn't die like you felt you might. It's doable. Worth it? Almost definitely. Try next year then".  Disappointed that I felt like couldn't do my preferred trip back on-site for one last wander as I was way too fucked for that given that hill again. Haven't managed that for years actually thinking about it.

There must be an easier, less strenuous, not feel like it may kill me way of doing things. Maybe aim for the west car parks so less hills? Definitely pack less so I don't have to do two runs (though always found this difficult).

Any suggestions welcome.

Get the bus and pack a lot lighter? It's a short walk from gate A to loads of good camping spots. If you're having to do 2 car trips you're definitely bringing more stuff than you need. I live in Ireland so I fly and get the bus every year but even if I lived nearby I still don't think id drive it. I wouldn't be fit to drive until Tuesday at the earliest.

32 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

Any suggestions welcome.

Give less a f**k about where you camp and get a sack truck. Boom. We were out in about 10 minutes. 1 trip in 1 trip out and we had a 6 man tent (for 2 people), camp beds, chairs, cool box, etc.

This isn't meant to be a flippant question but did this who suffered bad backs take anything to treat it during the festival?

I am of similar age to those who suffered a bad back this year, I did to as well (and have all my life) which made sleeping the first night or two really uncomfortable

I dosed myself on Ibuprofen the rest of the festival, a couple of hours before heading out, then every 5 or 6 hours later, and they worked an absolute treat. Didn't have any problems at all after that

40 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

Any suggestions welcome.

Sticklinch 

Just now, dingbat2 said:

This isn't meant to be a flippant question but did this who suffered bad backs take anything to treat it during the festival?

I am of similar age to those who suffered a bad back this year, I did to as well (and have all my life) which made sleeping the first night or two really uncomfortable

I dosed myself on Ibuprofen the rest of the festival, a couple of hours before heading out, then every 5 or 6 hours later, and they worked an absolute treat. Didn't have any problems at all after that

I have a bad shoulder from a car accident years ago which gets worse with prolonged periods of time stood up and camping…

this year a switched to a self inflating mattress and it made quite a difference and popped two nurofen every morning just in case of any small amount of pain and for my hangover ☺️ 

Another fan of liberal ibruprofen use here 🤣 Between that, a rehydration sachet for breakfast and a prophylactic omeprazole every now and then, I've never felt fresher after 5/6 days of irresponsibility. Sensible shoes, a little sit-down every now and the new SIM for a proper sleep = revelatory. 

35 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

Get the bus and pack a lot lighter? It's a short walk from gate A to loads of good camping spots. If you're having to do 2 car trips you're definitely bringing more stuff than you need. I live in Ireland so I fly and get the bus every year but even if I lived nearby I still don't think id drive it. I wouldn't be fit to drive until Tuesday at the earliest.

Have considered that but then I'd have to get everything to the bus. Think the nearest National Coaches one is 15 miles from me and the nearest official one is London which is 70.

Really not sure what I could ditch stuff wise. Plus no trolley on bus. Seven stone weakling here.

34 minutes ago, TheGChild said:

Give less a f**k about where you camp and get a sack truck. Boom. We were out in about 10 minutes. 1 trip in 1 trip out and we had a 6 man tent (for 2 people), camp beds, chairs, cool box, etc.

I don't really camp that far from gate B. Could go for Big Ground I suppose.

Already have a B&Q trolley. Not quite a sack truck. It could do with a way bigger base plate. I could get more on then. Also think said trolley was half the problem on second trip. May have been easier just to drag the rucksack and lose the weight of the trolley.

Also am a solo camper. An extra pair of hands would definitely make all the difference.

27 minutes ago, dingbat2 said:

Can't take ibuprofen. Get prescribed voltarol cream instead. It did relieve me at the end of the night back at tent. It stinks of hospitals though. Really could have done with putting some on during Macca but couldn't really move plus said smell. Had paracetamol but generally forgot about them.

27 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Sticklinch 

More money and too far away from the action for my liking. Adds up to more walking on the daily.

12 minutes ago, ilovelanegan said:

Another fan of liberal ibruprofen use here 🤣 Between that, a rehydration sachet for breakfast and a prophylactic omeprazole every now and then, I've never felt fresher after 5/6 days of irresponsibility. Sensible shoes, a little sit-down every now and the new SIM for a proper sleep = revelatory. 

I really should have bought new trainers before the festival. Didn't want to risk messing feet up breaking them in. Was down to an almost smooth tread by the end and started slipping on anything not grass.

1 hour ago, dingbat2 said:

I fractured my spine in 3 places about 8 years ago, had to have a spinal fusion between T4 and T10. 
I use a 15 cm self inflating mattress and have less issues on that than I do at home.

If you are in the outer reaches maybe consider a push bike to get to the gates ? I’m suprised they aren’t used more but can be stored in the lockups … would think they would suit workers coming on and off shift and allow more time for bands … or people in the outer reaches of the caravan fields 

19 minutes ago, dotdash79 said:

I fractured my spine in 3 places about 8 years ago, had to have a spinal fusion between T4 and T10. 
I use a 15 cm self inflating mattress and have less issues on that than I do at home.

Yes, it wasn't meant to be flippant, I appreciate people having very specific back injuries like yourself, it was aimed more at people like myself who are getting on a bit, weigh more than they should do, and do far less exercise than they shiuld do, and experience back pain when walking or standing up for extended periods of time at Glasto.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, dingbat2 said:

Yes, it wasn't meant to be flippant, I appreciate people having very specific back injuries like yourself, it was aimed more at people like myself who are getting on a bit, weigh more than they should do, and do far less exercise than they shiuld do, and experience back pain when walking or standing up for extended periods of time at Glasto.

I didn’t think you were being flippant, back pain is awful no matter how it comes about. I’m waiting on hernia surgery at the moment(another story) and once that is done I will be working on a lot of core exercises and walking with a weighted backpack to get used to stuff. 

I try not to take pain relief for my back as I had a minor addiction to the pain killers I was taking. But everyone is different.

maybe try heat pads

4 hours ago, MrZigster said:

Any suggestions welcome.

Looks like you drive in from the east and so a natural east car parker I guess but the east side is much higher than  the west side where the car parks are pretty much on the same level as PGA .

Perhaps consider taking everything you need for wednesday in one trip and doing the 2nd trip on thursday when re-entry is much easier and you've recovered from the slog of tuesday/wednesday.

I drive in from the west and park in the west but regardless, I had my own chaotic entry this year that led to me to doing loads more walking dragging my truck than really necessary (short version - set off for PGD and then made snap decision to switch to PGA) and got frazzled dragging my stuff across to the site to the  south side. I did a 2nd trip on thursday which was a doddle compared to the trauma of wednesday (just a rucksack, no trolley). And always only one trip out on Monday!

Edited by kerplunk