Time to throw the towel in?

JoeyT

4 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

If you are in the outer reaches maybe consider a push bike to get to the gates ? I’m suprised they aren’t used more but can be stored in the lockups … would think they would suit workers coming on and off shift and allow more time for bands … or people in the outer reaches of the caravan fields 

Have thought about this for a while and am also surprised that there aren't more of them. Have always thought a push-bike in general would be a good idea in terms of less walking around all told all weekend.

It would have to be the first thing you bring in surely. Unless it's a folding one that you can fit/keep in the car, or else it's surely just too tempting for someone to nick if you leave it on a rack on the back or roof while you get everything else in.

It would necessitate another journey back to the car though probably (which you may have gathered is something I'm trying to avoid lol).

And all the hills. Again. I'd rather walk uphill than bike up one I think. "Everything is uphill at Glastonbury", is a phrase I heard many times over the weekend. But, electric bikes/hybrids are now a thing and apparently acceptable. Saw a few this year. Not sure how you'd keep one of them or an equivalent scooter charged all weekend mind.

Also commented on the number of huge three wheeler push-bikes with trailers doing the rounds. Usually selling things or Sherpa-ing people about, though occasionally solo. Comment being along the lines of, "How big a house must you live in that you can actually store one of those things. You must have a least a garage or a big enough garden for a huge shed". I've wanted a general push-bike for years but would honestly struggle to store one without it being seriously in the way on a day to day basis.

So I'm still considering bringing a bike is the Tl:dr of that I guess.

Imagine if everyone brought a bike or eScooter though!

2 hours ago, kerplunk said:

Looks like you drive in from the east and so a natural east car parker I guess but the east side is much higher than  the west side where the car parks are pretty much on the same level as PGA .

Perhaps consider taking everything you need for wednesday in one trip and doing the 2nd trip on thursday when re-entry is much easier and you've recovered from the slog of tuesday/wednesday.

I drive in from the west and park in the west but regardless, I had my own chaotic entry this year that led to me to doing loads more walking dragging my truck than really necessary (short version - set off for PGD and then made snap decision to switch to PGA) and got frazzled dragging my stuff across to the site to the  south side. I did a 2nd trip on thursday which was a doddle compared to the trauma of wednesday (just a rucksack, no trolley). And always only one trip out on Monday!

This is good advice and again something I have previously considered. Way less hilly if you enter from the West.

Guess I've got fairly comfortable with the route over the years and don't want to risk changing things up and potentially getting lost. Though saying that I did take a different drive this year with no problems (thanks to @parsonjackagain).

I've camped in The East a couple of times previously. Much prefer the other side of The Railway Line as it's closer to the stuff I like. As others have suggested I may need to reconsider this going forward.

Edit: Regarding the Leave it 'till Thursday suggestion. It'd be playing on my mind all Wednesday that I still had stuff to do if I did that. Rather get getting set up out of the way.

Also meant to ask if anybody saw my mates remote controlled trolley at Gate D or A this year? Now that's a game changer. Apparently turned a lot of heads. Made out of an old mobility scooter. Suggested he started a business selling them. The batteries and charging were a bit of an issue though I'm told.

Asked them to post in the trolley thread but they're not on here (though I know they lurk (you know who you are)).

Edited by MrZigster

I gauge the physical aspect of each year by when the soles of my feet start aching no matter what. I genuinely got to Sunday afternoon this year and I'm stunned. Can only assume dry ground and regular stool use (small one in my bag) were a large part but then I've done years like that before. Some years my feet and legs are done in by Thursday afternoon yet this year, the least fit I've been for any festival and I was fine for 90%. Fluke or maybe karma offset for horrendous sunburn and hangover at the start and food poisoning at the end. 

I think a large part of the pain people feel could be reduced by simply not returning to the car. Save your protestations - you do not need half of that stuff you think you do. ...no you don't. I'll accept those with little ones who can't carry their own stuff (and similar) are a given needing a truck or two trips. But people doing 2, 3, 4 trips to the car is nuts. Make the beneficiaries do the work or take less.

I've always had the rule that if it doesn't go in or on the rucksack (or carried in arms) then it doesn't go. This year I had my comfiest set up yet with a fair few excesses including 13 litres of cider, an F&B 4.1 and an air bed frame in addition to fresh clothes each day, sleeping bag, air mattress, food and a bunch of other bits and pieces - I don't go without otherwise I'd be fucked like everyone else. Sure, getting on site is a little bit of a pain but it is done once. Then when pitched you can recover and not add another 2-3 mile round trip with another bunch of crap. You enjoy more of the festival inside the fence and cover fewer miles saving that physical stamina for more important matters like the 4am trudge back to camp or simply being upright come Sunday lunchtime. I do believe that taking it easier and reducing the distance early makes the latter stages more palatable.

Even with that approach I'll be taking even less next time to try and reduce the weight a bit (certainly less cider and food). It's horses for courses I guess but I just don't see how anyone needs that much for the weekend when time out at the festival rather than at camp is the priority. Maybe thats the secret to needing less.

No where near giving up. Thought I'd share my one-bag philosophy. It might inspire someone and make the change they need to keep doing what they love.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Beaver89 said:

I think a large part of the pain people feel could be reduced by simply not returning to the car.

I ruined my knees on the first day of 2019 by doing this, thinking that it was perfectly safe to carry 48 tins and a few boxes of wine in my rucksack wearing trainers after having already done the trip once.

This year we got the coach, so we were forced to only take what we could carry, which drastically reduced the amount of nonessentials and made us pack a lot smarter, which definitely made the entry trudge a lot easier.

Title of this thread is a question I’ve asked myself at every festival since 2015. Usually around the Friday night. However by the Tuesday or Wednesday afterwards, I always find myself erring towards the “just one more” mindset. By October I’ve got the ticket FOMO.

I will be 59 this year, and am now resigned to going every year I’m fortunate enough to get a ticket or a volunteer spot. Wild Horses.

• Like 1

On 6/27/2022 at 6:05 PM, Ozanne said:

I need to work out how to not let the Farm cause havoc on my feet/legs. After the first day they were pretty sore already.

Decent insoles make a massive difference. I splashed out this year. Wasn't quite ready for £200 customs but I bought a pair of these Enertor. It wasn't like everything was perfect with them but I felt so much better. Really felt like I had more energy and could stay on my feet longer. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Beaver89 said:

I gauge the physical aspect of each year by when the soles of my feet start aching no matter what. I genuinely got to Sunday afternoon this year and I'm stunned. Can only assume dry ground and regular stool use (small one in my bag) were a large part but then I've done years like that before. Some years my feet and legs are done in by Thursday afternoon yet this year, the least fit I've been for any festival and I was fine for 90%. Fluke or maybe karma offset for horrendous sunburn and hangover at the start and food poisoning at the end. 

I think a large part of the pain people feel could be reduced by simply not returning to the car. Save your protestations - you do not need half of that stuff you think you do. ...no you don't. I'll accept those with little ones who can't carry their own stuff (and similar) are a given needing a truck or two trips. But people doing 2, 3, 4 trips to the car is nuts. Make the beneficiaries do the work or take less.

I've always had the rule that if it doesn't go in or on the rucksack (or carried in arms) then it doesn't go. This year I had my comfiest set up yet with a fair few excesses including 13 litres of cider, an F&B 4.1 and an air bed frame in addition to fresh clothes each day, sleeping bag, air mattress, food and a bunch of other bits and pieces - I don't go without otherwise I'd be fucked like everyone else. Sure, getting on site is a little bit of a pain but it is done once. Then when pitched you can recover and not add another 2-3 mile round trip with another bunch of crap. You enjoy more of the festival inside the fence and cover fewer miles saving that physical stamina for more important matters like the 4am trudge back to camp or simply being upright come Sunday lunchtime. I do believe that taking it easier and reducing the distance early makes the latter stages more palatable.

Even with that approach I'll be taking even less next time to try and reduce the weight a bit (certainly less cider and food). It's horses for courses I guess but I just don't see how anyone needs that much for the weekend when time out at the festival rather than at camp is the priority. Maybe thats the secret to needing less.

No where near giving up. Thought I'd share my one-bag philosophy. It might inspire someone and make the change they need to keep doing what they love.

I am on board with this. In 2011 when it was muddy getting in we were at our nadir of dragging the kitchen sink in with us. We decided that we would cut down on stuff, & camp nearer the gates. We stopped in Pylon ground on one trip in 2013 & we didn’t miss anything we left behind.

In 2017 I volunteered with Shelter and had to get the coach. Everything went in or on my rucksack. Again - there was nothing that I missed out of all that stuff I thought I needed.

It takes thought, but it’s worth it. The festival is hard enough. You need your tent & something decent to sleep in & on. You’ll wear less clothes than you think. Take spirits, buy pints.

I was knackered by Sunday but I always am. I'd say no worse than usual, my feet were killing me but that can happen after a decent sized walk any day of the week.

I have to say this thread has made me feel a lot better about my aging bones. 

I don't think you need to go on some sort of extreme exercise regime prior to the festival to get match fit, just walk a lot.

I've already made a purchase to help me get me through the festival next year* after seeing a few people using them, one of these bad boys...

20220702_182930.thumb.jpg.cd6f1645d6594dfdf030ab52b52c8bdb.jpg

*if I get a ticket.

8 hours ago, MrZigster said:

Edit: Regarding the Leave it 'till Thursday suggestion. It'd be playing on my mind all Wednesday that I still had stuff to do if I did that. Rather get getting set up out of the way.

Well then my extra advice would be - don't be so inflexible.

1 hour ago, Gnomicide said:

I was knackered by Sunday but I always am. I'd say no worse than usual, my feet were killing me but that can happen after a decent sized walk any day of the week.

I don't think you need to go on some sort of extreme exercise regime prior to the festival to get match fit, just walk a lot.

I've already made a purchase to help me get me through the festival next year* after seeing a few people using them, one of these bad boys...

*if I get a ticket.

Ohhhhhhh THAT'S what those discs I saw some people carrying were! Nice! 🙂 

Edited by cdm22

1 hour ago, Gnomicide said:

*if I get a ticket.

I bought one of these a few years ago from the Efests camping shop.  Small and light, can be slung over shoulder or clipped to rucksack and supports my fat *rse

https://www.vango.co.uk/gb/camping-equipment/303-balmoral-aluminium-stool.html

8 hours ago, Beaver89 said:

This is a good way to go if you can do it. The rules I used to live by was one trip only, and whatever you do don't be a mule for other people's stuff!

That last part has gone out of the window for me though in recent years (and thereby the first part too) due to girlfriend/friends from abroad arriving on the bus and I became the lead party setting up camp taking in multiple tents - sigh. This year for a change I only had one tent to take in, but gf still arrives seperately on the bus so I still carry the bulk of the load for the two of us and requires two trips if we're to have our own booze and keep the bar bill down.

13 hours ago, dingbat2 said:

Yes, it wasn't meant to be flippant, I appreciate people having very specific back injuries like yourself, it was aimed more at people like myself who are getting on a bit, weigh more than they should do, and do far less exercise than they shiuld do, and experience back pain when walking or standing up for extended periods of time at Glasto.

The ibuprofen helped get me through to Saturday but by that point didn't feel like it was helping. To be fair I wasn't taking as much as I could have, but that's the whole "can't take it on an empty stomach" thing and also trying to be careful around when I was eating because of other issues.

9 hours ago, Beaver89 said:

How big is your rucksack?! We take fresh clothes for each day, F&B 4-person and pump, inflatable single mattress each (no frame), single sleeping bag and pillow each, small pack of toiletries and maybe 12 cans between us and most of that had to go on a trolley to do it one run. We carried it in 2019 but it nearly killed us.

25 minutes ago, clarkete said:

I bought one of these a few years ago from the Efests camping shop.  Small and light, can be slung over shoulder or clipped to rucksack and supports my fat *rse

https://www.vango.co.uk/gb/camping-equipment/303-balmoral-aluminium-stool.html

I take a chair and a stool just for the tent - it's nice to be able to put your feet up and a stool is a good general pupose thing to have - serves as a table for your phone whatever. And a small frisbee - general pupose flat surface item

3 minutes ago, kerplunk said:

I take a chair and a stool just for the tent - it's nice to be able to put your feet up and a stool is a good general pupose thing to have - serves as a table for your phone whatever. And a small frisbee - general pupose flat surface item

I take mine everywhere, but I'm an old git and need to sit. 

The space I occupy is no larger than if I'm standing, I wouldn't dream of doing it near the front or in the thick of the crowd and try to ensure I'm near to other obstacles rather than thoroughfares - fixed benches, parents with wagons etc

I’ve had enough. Nothing clicked this year. Getting in Wednesday put a dampener on the start. Felt more difficult this year navigating the crowds. I really enjoyed everyone I went to see but it had me thinking at the end, was it all worth it? Don’t think it was, sadly. I’ve done 6 now and think that’s a wrap. 

After the last 4 Glastonburys,  I've had the thought that it was my last, yet when T day comes around I'm surrounded by devices, furiously refreshing my way to a golden ticket.

This was my eighth and I've noticed that each one is getting physically harder, this one especially after 2 and a bit years of a very sedentary lifestyle so it was hardly surprising that I was hitting the physical wall earlier than usual.  

I'm still going to try for tickets this year, the difference is whether I will be as determined to find a way in if I don't manage to get a ticket as unless there's a decent amount of my crew going, I'm not sure if I'll try in the resale or volunteer again.

But knowing me, I'll make my peace with not going until I see the first line up poster, decide that getting to Glastonbury is the only thing that matters in my life and be an absolute nightmare until I find a way in.

Either way, I've accepted that I am getting older, that I can't get through the festival on my moxie and youthful exuberance anymore so if I do go again, I will need to get in much better physical shape to get the most out of the festival.

24 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

How big is your rucksack?! We take fresh clothes for each day, F&B 4-person and pump, inflatable single mattress each (no frame), single sleeping bag and pillow each, small pack of toiletries and maybe 12 cans between us and most of that had to go on a trolley to do it one run. We carried it in 2019 but it nearly killed us.

I'm in the same mindset tbh. I use a uk army surplus bergen with side pouches. Took a 3-man tent, camp bed, self inflating mattress, pillow, sleeping bag, chair for the camp, clothes, wash kit and 3 bottles of spirits. And that all went in (or strapped to in the case of the chair) the rucksack. 

But I do a lot of walking and a lot of sport still in general, so it's pretty manageable for me. I find it a lot easier than carrying stuff in my hands as well.

If you're able to get the time off work, the Wed morning to Monday experience is what Glastonbury is all about. 

Been going since 2014. Even during that wet 2016 or 17 (I forget which one), at no point did I wish I was anywhere other than exactly where I was at the time.

This year was one of the best ones yet for me, despite my back being absolutely blitzed by a whole night at Arcadia on Friday. I'm young and do a lot of training, but my back was still in pieces from all the dancing.

Again, at no point did I think I'd rather be anywhere else but there.

Even ended up leaving around 4pm on Monday because it was so nice relaxing with friends in the best place on earth, winding down the festival. 

I wanted to squeeze every drop of joy from the experience. Why bother going otherwise? Glastonbury isn't about half measures.

There are thousands unable to get tickets that sound like they'd enjoy the full experience more than some in this thread.

I guess you do what you want with your ticket but.. tis a damn shame to grumble about wanting to be home early etc

1 hour ago, Shameron Poe said:

If you're able to get the time off work, the Wed morning to Monday experience is what Glastonbury is all about. 

Been going since 2014. Even during that wet 2016 or 17 (I forget which one), at no point did I wish I was anywhere other than exactly where I was at the time.

This year was one of the best ones yet for me, despite my back being absolutely blitzed by a whole night at Arcadia on Friday. I'm young and do a lot of training, but my back was still in pieces from all the dancing.

Again, at no point did I think I'd rather be anywhere else but there.

Even ended up leaving around 4pm on Monday because it was so nice relaxing with friends in the best place on earth, winding down the festival. 

I wanted to squeeze every drop of joy from the experience. Why bother going otherwise? Glastonbury isn't about half measures.

There are thousands unable to get tickets that sound like they'd enjoy the full experience more than some in this thread.

I guess you do what you want with your ticket but.. tis a damn shame to grumble about wanting to be home early etc

Don't worry about it, half a dozen, it's perfectly normal. People have been giving up going to glastonbury for decades.