Time to throw the towel in?

JoeyT

1 hour ago, Mark E. Spliff said:

Thanks for reporting back on how going solo worked out for you.  This forum has got a real problem with everyone chanting received wisdoms like mantras without seemingly thinking about what they are saying.  One of these mantras is 'don't have any second thoughts about going solo: just do it and you'll have the time of your life!'  I think this is downright thoughtless - who knows how a stranger on the internet is going to react in a situation where any self-doubt or reticence about troubling strangers could result in a week of loneliness?  Over the years, I've noticed that the people giving this advice have often only actually made solo excursions from their friends/family group, which is a completely different proposition to going there alone.

You don't need to be despondent about it though.  Going as a worker on a large crew is one possible strategy that might be more successful for solo fliers.  Being thrown in to work with a big group of people is one of the most effective ways to establish camaraderie, work out who's on your wavelength and make friends.

Although I have gone in a group , differing musical tastes meant I have spent a fair bit of time on my own and have suffered low points . And not wanted to ring home to cause worry there. 

2 hours ago, lebenski said:

Despite thinking I'd ruined my own festival by Saturday morning (sleep deprivation, hangover, normal stuff) I realised that you actually need to just get into and embrace the Glastonbury mindset.  Your brain is a bit fuzzy, you think a bit slower, you're tired and it's a bit of a shock to go from the alert/productive state to the monged-out/fuzzy one (no hard drug taking even implied) but once you embrace it, you'll have the best fucking time.  That's what I did anyway and despite being old & tired it was great and I will absolutely be going for tickets next year.  Time of my life.  Again.

This needs an upvote. I often find myself fighting the tiredness and actually just need to lean into being a bit less alert and a bit more fuzzy. 100%.

6 hours ago, LoraMaze said:

My fifth time, and this one has broken me to the point where I’ll give next year a miss for sure, then I think only if I’m in a camper.

2017 was a perfect year for me, I thought this would top it but it definitely didn’t. It was far too busy, and I felt on edge for a lot of the busy bits. The weather was both perfect and weird at the same time also. I also didn’t like the big sticks and logs on the floor. 

This was my tenth but first with a baby (minus points) which made us do the first time in a camper (massive plus points)

Had a little solar shower and comfortable bed in the van and felt brand new every morning, made such a massive difference that I'm not sure I could do it again camping (definitely no camping with a kid for me anyway)

Was a weird year for me overall as it was just us and the baby, normally were in a group of around 6-12 but I actually managed to see far more bands by not getting distracted by drunk antics. Was worried the crowd issues were just because I was sober and with a baby, but I'm guessing with the level of complaints it wasn't just that 

Unfortunately this will be my last one as I don’t have the energy to get full value out of the festival anymore. Hardly did any of the late night stuff and the day music becomes more similar to one day vibes you can get at APE etc…

The music options are still unreal as well as all the other stalls and events going on. I just don’t experience them enough now and my group of people I know as dwindled down to 4 from 40+ and the start many years ago!

I can’t justify spending close to £1k next year for me and GF to go when I could go abroad to new place on holiday instead and experience a completely different culture. 

I joined the queue to get in at around 4.30am this year - I'm always keen to get in early, pitch up in a convenient location and commence!  but with it being so busy, there wasn't really much benefit being there weds/thurs and I only ended up tiring myself out.

There was a magic about the weds/thurs that isn't there any more and it's costing too much in terms of energy and lack of sleep

I think If I go again... I might arrive thurs evening and go all in on the friday/sat/sun

Early arrival isnt a runner anymore. Whats the point? I waltzed in at 10.30am Thursday. No early morning or overnight bollocks, no traffic, no queues, no panic, no sweating, no sore body.

Think next time Ill arrive at 4 or 5pm Wednesday. Let the queues settle a bit. 

But no. Not time to throw in the towel. Can't wait for next year. I didnt want this year to end. Could've went at it again on Monday.

Edited by The Nal

5 minutes ago, The Nal said:

This is exactly when we arrived this year. No queuing, cooler temperatures, good energy levels. Car to campsite was 50 mins from one of the outermost car parks (West 54), even while pushing trolleys and with two kids in tow.

I completely understand the desire to get in as early as possible but I don't think it sets you up very well for five days at Glastonbury.

15 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Early arrival isnt a runner anymore. Whats the point? I waltzed in at 10.30am Thursday. No early morning or overnight bollocks, no traffic, no queues, no panic, no sweating, no sore body.

But no. Not time to throw in the towel. Can't wait for next year. I didnt want this year to end. Could've went at it again on Monday.

I've arrived around 3-4pm on Wednesday the past three or four years I went after getting there at 7am before that. It honestly didn't take anything away from my experience at all. If anything it improved it because in the 7am days I'd just get utterly ruined by teatime. 

Have never seen the appeal in queueing all night though (we used to get a lift from somewhere local at around 6ish). But then I'm not arsed about camping in Pennards and actively prefer camping near gate A.

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

2 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I've arrived around 3-4pm on Wednesday the past three or four years I went after getting there at 7am before that. It honestly didn't take anything away from my experience at all. If anything it improved it because in the 7am days I'd just get utterly ruined by teatime. 

Have never seen the appeal in queueing all night though (we used to get a lift from somewhere local at around 6ish). But then I'm not arsed about camping in Pennards and actively prefer camping near gate A.

How were the queues etc at that time?

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Didn't go this year 😞

I'm a coach traveller though so it's never that bad. Have never queued more than 20 minutes from coach to entrance at that time and often less.

Yeah I was on the coach this year too but think there were still big queues even for the coaches

Can anyone confirm?

Both the wife and I said on the way home that this will be our final year,  it is just to big and too busy.  This year killed us. Not to mention the amount of stuff I have to bring now to make it though the festival requires a lorry rather than a trolley.  gone are the days of the 90s where a roll mat and a case of beer would do.

but my brain is an idiot and by the time the tickets go back on sale I will only remember the good time and not the pain and will probably be back in the queue.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Brought less this year. One rucksack for me, smaller rucksack for the missus. Didnt even wear all the clothes I brought. And I brought fuck all. 

I'm also a pack light person (have to on the coach), but that only works if you can afford to buy all your food and booze in there. That's we do (bar a bottle of spirits in plastic) but fully appreciate for some it's just too expensive.

6 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Yeah I was on the coach this year too but think there were still big queues even for the coaches

Can anyone confirm?

Last time I do the coaches. Have had two bad years in a row. 2019 my bus broke down in Shepton Mallet, took over an hour for a replacement, then the driver drove to the wrong gate depsite the entire bus telling him he needed to go to Gate A. Left Bristol at 8:30 and arrived about midday in the end, and greeting us were massive queues in scorching hot weather.

I didn't think it could be that bad again, but this year our bus didn't turn up for nearly 90 minutes. Once again, sat waiting in the hot sun. No comms, no excuse. If I hadn't been waiting with about 300 people I'd have been panicking. Finally it did show, but again, by the time we arrived it was massive queues - took about 90 minutes to get wristbands. Again, no shade in very hot, sunny weather. 

So, I'm done with the Coach package. I'm sure I've been very unlucky, but it just doesn't seem to be well organised. I'm skipping 2023 and if I do decide to go again in the future I'll either cycle or train.

2 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I'm also a pack light person (have to on the coach), but that only works if you can afford to buy all your food and booze in there. That's we do (bar a bottle of spirits in plastic) but fully appreciate for some it's just too expensive.

You should have seen what people were bringing on our my coach - ran out of storage room underneath the coach so people had to sit with their bags in the aisles.

3 minutes ago, Matt87 said:

You should have seen what people were bringing on our my coach - ran out of storage room underneath the coach so people had to sit with their bags in the aisles.

Oh yeah people do take the piss for sure. I more meant that I'm limited by what I can take on the coach as I don't! Also have to get to and from coach station via public transport or cabs usually.

Sorry you had a bad experience with it. I guess I've been lucky but have had no issues via SeeTickets or National Express except the journey itself taking a long time.

I can't not try the coach sale now though, having opted to just go for GA one year and failed!

21 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Can anyone confirm?

My coach arrived about 4pm Wednesday. Queued for about 10 minutes and it’s a really short walk from the bus stop to the gate so I was happy. 
Return coach at 6am can do one, that was an effort. 

16 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

The answer is to listen to your body .. if you are tired and struggling there really isn’t any point pushing through it will just  impact more in the long run … go and see an act that you can sit down for 

This is what made me reconsider this year - standing up was killing the soles of my feet. Sitting down on the floor was killing my neck/upper back. Should probably have bit the bullet and just carried the chair around with me. Been to every one since 2003, unsure yet whether to try once more next year (maybe at Sticklinch) as the last one in my 30s, or pack it in. Part is because I'm really out of shape at the moment I'm sure, but I don't know how much is that and how much is just age.

48 minutes ago, The Nal said:

We got to site at around 7pm on Wednesday due to getting quite a late coach time - thought we’d be gutted to miss so much of Wednesday but it actually turned out okay.

By the time we got there our friends who’d arrived about 7am were broken. The early start, queuing in the heat then two car trips in the heat had done them in. They came for a walk with us but baled early whereas we had a really good explore of the site, a few drinks and some nice food and got to bed around 2am.

They were still pretty fucked on Thursday whereas we felt great. Might be a plan for next year!

14 hours ago, st dan said:

So has it just now simply become the best UK festival there is, rather than it having the spark and magic that it used to have, that made it more than a festival?
Think that’s a common review from the ‘veterans’ isn’t it.  

The irony is, the less interested you are in the main stages, the harder to replicate the experience elsewhere gets, and the more special Glastonbury gets. I don't know another single festival in the world where you can go watch a show by a world-class circus group, then go see a headline-level comedian. That alone isn't replicated elsewhere, nevermind following that up with McCartney.

13 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

This is a good thing to do for all veterans I think. People tend to have this view of you either go every year or you don't but it can just be a year off, as said above. It's good to have a year out and try something else I reckon.

I've got the opposite "problem" (and I realise this sounds horrendously selfish and entitled) but I acknowledged a few festivals back that was no longer necessary for me to go every year. But I *know" I'm not going to get tickets every year. We've got tickets every year in the main sale, with no shenanigans, just the usual having everyone in the group trying on ticket day (and some years having two groups with an agreement to try for each other). Never had to do a resale for myself. And I wouldn't at this point: if I miss out, I miss out.

That's an extraordinary amount of luck and I'm hugely privileged to have had things go that way for me, but it's making me very aware that I can't just say "well I won't go next year but I'll do 2024" - we don't get to choose. I'd maybe like to do one in every three festivals (health permitting) but it's probably a 1 in 3 chance of getting tickets at this point in the main sale. So that means trying every year and going when the ticket gods let you.

Edited by DeanoL

16 minutes ago, Matt87 said:

This happened when our coach turned up except the luggage compartment was filled with all the shit for about 20 people. He left with just those 20 or so people on the coach, didn't even suggest using seats for the luggage of others. Was a kick in the teeth when all we had was a rucksack and a tent each. Had to wait for the next and the driver worked hard to fit everything in and get bags on seats too. They really need to start leaving carts and trolleys til last cos its clear that no one should be taking that much

I didn't get a ticket this time around, having been successful each time since 2010, so I'd had a good run.  We went to EOTR for the first time last year and had such a great time, immediately got a ticket for this year.  We've already decided EOTR will be the alternative if we can't get Glastonbury tickets.

I also wanted to see how I felt during and after this Glastonbury and evaluate whether I wanted to try for tickets again.  Having watched the TV coverage and reading the forums over the w'end, I'm not sure I will try for 2023.  I really enjoyed 2019 but by Sunday PM, I was done in.  I cycled in for 2019, which was a revelation; showers and some of the cleanest loos on site, that certainly helped a lot and would be the only way I would travel in again.  However I think my tolerance and having had my head turned by EOTR I think I'm done with Glastonbury for a bit.... he says.