Time to throw the towel in?

JoeyT

How do you know when it’s time?

I left during Diana Ross yesterday and being lucky enough to live fairly close was home / showered / fed by 6pm.

Legs / feet in pieces and by that point felt I’d hit my limit with the place.

I’m comfortable with the thought of only doing Friday - Sunday next time around but have a nagging in the back of my mind that perhaps it’s just time to knock it on the head.

Confused by how I feel due to how excited I’d been in the build up only for it not to 100% click.

Any others feeling the same?

4 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

I left during Diana Ross yesterday and being lucky enough to live fairly close was home / showered / fed by 6pm.

I’m comfortable with the thought of only doing Friday - Sunday next time around but have a nagging in the back of my mind that perhaps it’s just time to knock it on the head.

Confused by how I feel due to how excited I’d been in the build up only for it not to 100% click.

If I go back it won't be with the family.

• Upvote 2

I look at it this way, if I enjoy my weekend enough that it justifies the price I’ll continue to try to attend.

If I attend, and I’m having a bad time more than a good - that’ll be when I take a break or knock it on the head.

The issue for me will be continuing to persuade people to attend with me. Mrs isn’t too interested, the initial group of about 12 we had going in 2013/14 is down to 4.

I've been 7 times and think this year was the one I enjoyed least of the 7, maybe its because there weren't really any bands I was excited to see on the line-up, maybe it was because the large group I used to go with has dwindled to just 3 of us and because of that I spent a large part of the festival on my own, maybe its because I picked up a cold (hopefully not covid) and felt like crap on the Sunday

But, having said all that, im sure come October, i'll be hitting F5 trying for tickets in 2023

3 minutes ago, Andy0808 v5 said:

I look at it this way, if I enjoy my weekend enough that it justifies the price I’ll continue to try to attend.

If I attend, and I’m having a bad time more than a good - that’ll be when I take a break or knock it on the head.

The issue for me will be continuing to persuade people to attend with me. Mrs isn’t too interested, the initial group of about 12 we had going in 2013/14 is down to 4.

Flying solo at a festival (pre-Covid, I dunno if people are more insular these days) is one of the most liberating things you will ever do. Don't sweat not having company. 

I always read these thread and think "naaah, I'll keep going forever", but I really need a rethink this time. I've missed Sunday headliners before, but it's always been due to overindulgence. This year it was down to downright mild indulgence on the Friday night. I was just knackered. Not super hungover or anything like that, just tired. It was good, obviously it was good, it was Glastonbury, but I can't help thinking that keeping on doing what I've been doing for the last 25 years didn't work this time.

Probably a wake up call to really double down on my personal fitness, either that or drop shit loads of money to not actually camp in the festival, and I'm way, way keener on the first.

Wednesday, Thursday and half of Friday, I struggled hugely. It was all just too much. After that I really got back into it. But it's amazing how unenthusiastic I felt for such a long period before things improved. I will go back again, but I think I'm done with the long treks from car to camping spot.

My fifth time, and this one has broken me to the point where I’ll give next year a miss for sure, then I think only if I’m in a camper.

2017 was a perfect year for me, I thought this would top it but it definitely didn’t. It was far too busy, and I felt on edge for a lot of the busy bits. The weather was both perfect and weird at the same time also. I also didn’t like the big sticks and logs on the floor. 

• Like 1

I realised 2 things this week I definitely need to be fitter for Glastonbury but I also need to change how I do it as well. Too much walking around site Wednesday and Thursday left me quite tired for the festival proper and choosing to go to pretty much all busy acts where I didn’t have sitting opportunities kind of broke me on the Friday. Managed to factor in more sitting breaks and chilled acts on Saturday and Sunday so I made it but my body was broken by Sunday night. 

Next year if I am lucky enough to get tickets I intend to make sure to factor in some relaxed acts. Yasmin Williams and Lianne La Havas probably saved my festival. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

I think I had the opposite to this. In the build up I wasn’t looking forward to it and my anxiety was up. Whilst there were a couple of occasions where I wanted to go home generally I’ve come away wanting to go again and have decided with one of my mates we’ll definitely try again.

I did Sticklinch this year which meant we could go down on the Thursday which helped. I could camp in the site and have to carry everything for miles again.

4 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I realised 2 things this week I definitely need to be fitter for Glastonbury but I also need to change how I do it as well. Too much walking around site Wednesday and Thursday left me quite tired for the festival proper and choosing to go to pretty much all busy acts where I didn’t have sitting opportunities kind of broke me on the Friday. Managed to factor in more sitting breaks and chilled acts on Saturday and Sunday so I made it but my body was broken by Sunday night. 

Next year if I am lucky enough to get tickets I intend to make sure to factor in some relaxed acts. Yasmin Williams and Lianne La Havas probably saved my festival. 

I need to work out how to not let the Farm cause havoc on my feet/legs. After the first day they were pretty sore already.

6 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Probably a wake up call to really double down on my personal fitness, either that or drop shit loads of money to not actually camp in the festival, and I'm way, way keener on the first.

We’ve stopped camping. I no longer particularly enjoy it in any situation, and am no longer interested in/capable of staying up all night. And we don’t spend that much (compared to some of the other options). We got an Airbnb barn conversion a short bus/taxi ride away. Makes the festival far less of a physical ordeal. So each night we came back to this, for a nice warm shower, and catch up of Glasto on the TV, with a nightcap 

FD716832-906C-46B4-88F1-C8AE32AC6543.jpeg

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, henry bear said:

We’ve stopped camping. I no longer particularly enjoy it in any situation, and am no longer interested in/capable of staying up all night. And we don’t spend that much (compared to some of the other options). We got an Airbnb barn conversion a short bus/taxi ride away. Makes the festival far less of a physical ordeal. So each night we came back to this, for a nice warm shower, and catch up of Glasto on the TV, with a nightcap 

FD716832-906C-46B4-88F1-C8AE32AC6543.jpeg

😍

Just now, Ozanne said:

I need to work out how to not let the Farm cause havoc on my feet/legs. After the first day they were pretty sore already.

Yep fitness is one part of it definitely. I was considerably fitter in 2019 but definitely taking some time to watch acts where it’s perfectly acceptable to watch with your arse parked and watching acts where you have more space all help. Phoebe Bridgers was a special set and I am really glad I was in there for it but where it was I barely had room to move and the foot burn was real!

3 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Yep fitness is one part of it definitely. I was considerably fitter in 2019 but definitely taking some time to watch acts where it’s perfectly acceptable to watch with your arse parked and watching acts where you have more space all help. Phoebe Bridgers was a special set and I am really glad I was in there for it but where it was I barely had room to move and the foot burn was real!

Ok...I am a seasoned marathon runner, regularly run 60ish miles per week...and I was fucked by Thursday. Legs/back totally buggered. I think it's probably my age (52), never used to be this bad.

5 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I presume footwear is key too but those damn stones and wood chippings were the bane of my life 😂

• Like 1