Hands up if you caught Covid there?

e_p

1 minute ago, stuie said:

Trying to balance living your life with risks? 

Why does anyone have an issue with someone doing a lateral flow before they go and see their loved ones? 

People just making a noise for no reason.

I don't have any issue with people testing. It was more so the arguments going on in here with people on their high horse but still choosing to attend an event like Glastonbury, surely they can't be that concerned. It was inevitable a lot of people were going to catch something.

If you're ill then you should try to avoid other people anyway.

38 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

"we now know" as in the people of this forum, there's a difference in a theoretical danger and a confirmed fact, the results on here make it clear there is a very real chance of getting it again next year (assuming it doesn't die off in the meantime) so people would be making their decision to go on a proven fact rather than a theoretical danger.

I mean that’s not strictly true is it? 

This years super spreader event appears to be a combination of a sizeable proportion of people that have never had it attending and going to Glastonbury being the “riskiest” thing they’ve done since the pandemic began, plus a new wave due to a mutation that seems pretty good at reinfecting people on top of that. 

Nobody can predict that those stars would align again next year. 

2 minutes ago, D-Low said:

I don't have any issue with people testing. It was more so the arguments going on in here with people on their high horse but still choosing to attend an event like Glastonbury, surely they can't be that concerned. It was inevitable a lot of people were going to catch something.

If you're ill then you should try to avoid other people anyway.

I’m not ill and when you go to an event like Glasto you roll the dice. Same as when I went to the o2 London standing the week before glasto. Doesn’t mean I have the right to spread it to my family and friends if the dice don’t go my way.

2 minutes ago, e_p said:

@barrythefish  - as the OP, I'm now telling you to fuck off. No need to respond. 

had him on ignore for about 2 years... I only know he's here because of the quotes! 

12 minutes ago, Cream Soda said:

But the poster wouldn't, I assume, mingle with anyone anyway while experiencing symptoms? (Rightly so), so what difference has the test actually made?

cold -> I go out with standard hygeine precautions

bad flu/covid -> I don't spread that shit to others

The difference the +ve test has made means that I now know it's not a cold and I can wait until the test says -ve before safely going out again. I wish there was a similar set up for flu.

Don't forget I'm not doing ANYTHING AT ALL that impacts on you and your life, I am simply describing what makes good sense for mine.

8 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

So do you at least see some of the issues of using a covid test as a red light / green light test ?   Beyond people calling me the usual names lol ? 

It really becomes its okay to spread a cold / flu but not okay to spread Covid which is bit silly - specially if people want to ride a white horse 😛 

It’s something I have available to prevent others becoming I’ll … it’s not perfect but it takes no time to do …. If there were a test for flu I’d take that too 

3 minutes ago, stuie said:

had him on ignore for about 2 years... I only know he's here because of the quotes! 

haha, genius - in the interests of headinthesand-type logic being espoused here - remind me how one does that?

2 minutes ago, Kurosagi said:

cold -> I go out with standard hygeine precautions

bad flu/covid -> I don't spread that shit to others

The difference the +ve test has made means that I now know it's not a cold and I can wait until the test says -ve before safely going out again. I wish there was a similar set up for flu.

Don't forget I'm not doing ANYTHING AT ALL that impacts on you and your life, I am simply describing what makes good sense for mine.

Yes I'm in exactly the same position -- came back on Monday feeling slightly worse-than-usual after a festival, then on Tuesday felt decidedly unwell with temperature of 38.6 - lateral flow positive.

My choice to have gone to Glasto and obvs was aware of the risks. Think I've got away with it lightly, feeling much better today, but don't want to spread it so taking precautions to reduce contact with people.

2 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I am glad you have found a way to be happy.  Although you won't see this because you are ignoring me 😛 

It's not working so far.  Extrapolate much?  Christ, why would any of this make anyone happy?

7 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

"we now know" as in the people of this forum, there's a difference in a theoretical danger and a confirmed fact, the results on here make it clear there is a very real chance of getting it again next year (assuming it doesn't die off in the meantime) so people would be making their decision to go on a proven fact rather than a theoretical danger.

It's still just a theoretical danger for those who haven't picked up a dose at the fest and it'll still be a theoretical danger next year.

Still not sure what the post-festival confirmation that many people HAVE picked it up is meant to imply for next year? I'm not really seeing anything new that we know 'now' that we didn't already know before the festival. 

24 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

It’s something I have available to prevent others becoming I’ll … it’s not perfect but it takes no time to do …. If there were a test for flu I’d take that too 

flu is also nasty and a killer..but is nowhere near as infectious as covid (or as deadly). It isn't just like flu and it isn't just like a cold. It is just like covid.

I suspect that the libertarian trolls on this thread are enjoying a hindsight position that covid has a death rate *only* as much or less than flu.

It's difficult when someone uses that hindsight position to bang those people over the head who are capable of remembering a time when NO ONE knew what the true death rate was going to be. If it was like the movies and had been 15% or higher we would be living in a genuine nightmare scenario where all the logistics, infrastructure, utilities we take for granted would have ground to a halt.

At the beginning of the pandemic we needed the social scientists to come on board and tell the govt their best insights to encourage 'compliance' not because of any underlying fascist intentions but to stop a potential tsunami of people dying. It was their job as academics to share their knowledge; if govt subsequently misuses that knowledge that is on the politicians not the scientists.

Edited by Kurosagi
covid induced grammar loss
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Barry Fish said:

You see it throughout history that when this mass population control is deployed it results in anyone going against it facing marginalisation and abuse.  Its happening here right on this thread.   All pete can do is swear.  He won't even entertain the alternative view.

People need to wake up to what happened during the pandemic.  The science that was deployed to control them was powerful stuff.  There are regimes around the world who will be the same science to do countless awful things in the future.  Control isn't always good people.  Join the dots.  Its fucking important.  

Are you James Delingpole?

2 hours ago, scmusic said:

Was going to leave this alone, but what a completely irresponsible take. As several people remarked below, there are vulnerable people in our lives who would appreciate not contracting this virus as it's still killing 50+ people a day. 

Selfish attitude not to test, it's like sticking your fingers in your ears and pretending there's no problem, when there is still definitely a problem and it is still definitely killing people who would otherwise still be with us. A "festival cold" does not spread like wildfire and kill people. 

Really selfish.

(I await the troll-like responses with dread. )

Sweet jesus, its not killing 50 plus people a day. 50 plus people a day are dying and when tested they are positive with COVID. COVID didn't kill them, their ill health did. I'll happily be called a troll for having a different opinion. All I can say is, stay at home, never leave and let us carry on with our lives. It's a sniffle, nothing more nothing less. 

• Downvote 1