Best Food / Worst Food 2022

FuzzyDunlop

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

One thing I noticed this year was the high cost of ice creams and ice lollies. I felt sorry for parents with several kids who had to pay a fortune to get their kids an ice cream.  Us who remember the days of having youngsters know how vital it is on holiday to keep the kids supplied with them. I understand the vans have to pay for the pitch and make a profit but prices seemed very high. 

Split Screen did delicious scoops of really nice stuff for £2.50 - better than a £4 Mr. Whippy.

59 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

Honestly if you like dahl try the Krishnas, which this year seemed to have been kicked off site and dumped by the Greenfields exit to Pennards (for dodgy ideology I suspect).

The Krishnas were at the bottom of the Tipi field this year.

Ah really? - standing on the railway line overlooking Pennards looking towards the SE I thought I could see their marquee about where the exit was through the hedge from green futures. Cant remember spotting it in tipi when I went up there to get to Lost Horizons then Stummerville but happy to be told otherwise of course.

8 hours ago, Pinhead said:

Ah really? - standing on the railway line overlooking Pennards looking towards the SE I thought I could see their marquee about where the exit was through the hedge from green futures. Cant remember spotting it in tipi when I went up there to get to Lost Horizons then Stummerville but happy to be told otherwise of course.

You're right, going up in a straight line from the railway line to Strummerville/Worthy view a bit higher than the hedge. 

11 hours ago, Pinhead said:

Honestly if you like dahl try the Krishnas, which this year seemed to have been kicked off site and dumped by the Greenfields exit to Pennards (for dodgy ideology I suspect).

And/or traders who are paying a lot for a pitch being upset that someone's undercutting them. By 100%

Food I had that I can recall (I don't eat meat btw)

Halloumi wrap between Leftfield and West Holts think it was called 'Moonys Halloumi' tasted good and was well made, went quite early (midday) so not much of a queue which was good. (9/10)

Pizza in Williams Green (red bus) - got caught out as the bloke two in front ordered 7 pizzas then the bloke in front of me ordered 4....lady was very apologetic about the wait,  then when trying to sort those two orders out they accidently burnt my pizza....made me another one and then gave me the burnt one for free (which wasn't that burnt tbh) - slung that one to my mates who were drunk and ate it like a pack of scavenges. 🙂 only cost £9 which I thought was good. (9/10)

Toastie from a place in the park, bloke made the wrong one (Asked for cheese and tomato got cheese and onion) then what I got given was bread that was Tesco value level, and small amount of cheese and red onion in the middle, was edible but only just and was charged £5 (2/10)

hummus, halloumi and falafel pitta from the veggie place right next to Williams green bar, tasted good and i needed some veg inside me....was £11.50 though which I thought was quite OTT for what it was though. (7/10)

Halloumi wrap from a place opposite the cider bus, decent, hit the spot....bloke taking the orders was moody though, I was drunk so threw it down inside 2 mins. (8/10)

also had food at my campsites for mornings so didn't eat 'out' a lot 

1 minute ago, gooner1990 said:

Halloumi wrap between Leftfield and West Holts think it was called 'Moonys Halloumi' tasted good and was well made, went quite early (midday) so not much of a queue which was good. (9/10)

I had one of those too - would agree! Think my wrap had mustard & some pickled veg of some kind in it with the halloumi, was great.

They also seemed a bit more organised than other food stalls - actually got a little ticket with an order number IIRC. 🙂

3 minutes ago, jimmillen said:

I had one of those too - would agree! Think my wrap had mustard & some pickled veg of some kind in it with the halloumi, was great.

They also seemed a bit more organised than other food stalls - actually got a little ticket with an order number IIRC. 🙂

Yes, I did too...they were there in 2019 as well (can't recall if there before that) and so I made a beeline for them straight away that morning!

2 hours ago, Zacko said:

Shouts to the Tibetan place nearish the Other Stage. I went for the box full of everything (can't remember exactly what it was called) and it was so so good.

i bet it wasnt. These stalls serve up the gunk they can mass produce the easiest, pile them high sell them not cheap, and people lap it up, thinking they are brilliant that they found some kind of secret, exotic cuisine. 'a box full of everything' is the crap they haven't managed to shift all day, and they probably saw you coming from a mile off

I'm always sending food pics to my mate, so heres a few: 

This Vegan stall in Williams Green near the tower *chefs kiss* they've been around for years and do great felafel, burgers and massive humus pittas. They're also 24hrs

IMG_0974.thumb.jpeg.e6f45177347be7e91a40afc08366ca75.jpeg

These Arancini Balls opposite the Greenpeace tree were amazing.

IMG_0992.thumb.jpeg.b6680d1d0716912f8d5803515c6f1932.jpeg

This Brisket Salad box was from the top of the Park by the Ribbon Tower

IMG_0847.thumb.jpeg.aeee53151ebbd397845842517d937c86.jpeg

Another Felafel plate from the green fields- Super yummy. 

IMG_1163.thumb.jpeg.13821161fc1d9bb24f6888a8ee8c4d7e.jpeg

I also hit Happy Maki (love them) 

Only fail was awesome burritos (or something like that) I got one from Silver Hayes and the cheese was very feet like. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, CauliflowerEar said:

i bet it wasnt. These stalls serve up the gunk they can mass produce the easiest, pile them high sell them not cheap, and people lap it up, thinking they are brilliant that they found some kind of secret, exotic cuisine. 'a box full of everything' is the crap they haven't managed to shift all day, and they probably saw you coming from a mile off

It was 11am bro 

9 hours ago, philipsteak said:

And/or traders who are paying a lot for a pitch being upset that someone's undercutting them. By 100%

Fair point, though the krishna offering is good for free - other traders will likely offer a more sophisticated daal as you're payin.

I had a Cornish pasty from the Cornish pasty place which was great ( they had pasty, chips and beans for a £5 but I didn’t want all that at the time). And I had chicken pie, mash and gravy from barnaby Sykes - was ok but not as good as pieminister. A lovely bacon bap from hedonistic at Sticklinch. 
really nice fresh ravioli pasta with bruschetta from Raviolli at WG. 
had a very dry beetroot falafel wrap from back of other stage which was disappointing. A better falafel and avocado wrap from Avalon cafe. 
a nice Chicken tagine from between Other and Pyramid stage.  And a good lamb burger from the Bath butchers near WG. 
overall food offerings were good this year- I ate everything I bought from stalls so that’s always a good sign!! Didn’t pay more than £10 for a proper meal. 

Chicken katsu bento box from near the Cider bus was ace. I don't usually get the same thing again as there are so many great things to try but I had that twice 

Also a toastie from near Leftfield on the same stretch as the wine bar. Cheese, chorizo and jalapeños. They were getting rammed so were only serving what they had already made waiting to go. They reckoned as I asked so nicely and was polite they'd make me one up 🙂 Cue everyone behind me asking for the same thing - Oops! There was THAT much cheese on it I think I've still got a cheese induced migraine 

19 hours ago, prog seller said:

I'm always sending food pics to my mate, so heres a few: 

This Vegan stall in Williams Green near the tower *chefs kiss* they've been around for years and do great felafel, burgers and massive humus pittas. They're also 24hrs

IMG_0974.thumb.jpeg.e6f45177347be7e91a40afc08366ca75.jpeg

Yeah they looked brilliant, on Wednesday I was getting some shade on edge of Williams green tent and saw loads of people coming back from there with huge pittas stuffed with all sorts of goodness, will definitely try their next year 👏👏👏   

• Like 1

On 6/30/2022 at 5:21 PM, sildante said:

Best for me was the wings (and tacos) from Mexican Seoul beside BBC Introducing - did anyone else try these? Fuck me, the wings were amazing. The Korean-style Gotchu Gang sauce on these was absolutely banging (from a buffalo fan). Their spicy pork belly tacos were also top tier - I didn't get to try the other ones. Also loved their story that they were all furloughed during lockdown and just started making wings in their kitchen at home perfecting a recipe. I went there three times.

I had the pork belly tacos from there twice they were absolutely amazing!  The wrap place next door was fantastic too.  

I also loved the arancini place up by the crossroads top of west holts, their pesto arancini was unbelievably tasty. 

On 6/27/2022 at 7:32 PM, BL1ND T1G3R said:

I had this from a place called Bunny something or other I think it was - by Other/Silver Hayes - South African street dish apparently.  Half a loaf filled with hot chilli, a dollop of sour cream and a garlic crouton. Long drops were hard work the next day but decent portion for £10

0B8E9D80-32BB-48C3-989F-2764DEA6256C.jpeg

Bunny Chows - walked past this place twice and said on both occasions, I need to go back and get one. We were in a rush so couldn't stop at the time. Needless to say, I didn't get back there. 

Was really keen to try it as I've taught a poem about Apartheid which mentions Bunny Chows for several years now, and never tried it.