Best Food / Worst Food 2022

FuzzyDunlop

On 6/27/2022 at 11:22 PM, kraken_89 said:

Maybe it’s because I live in Bristol and we have great food vendors here, but I thought the food at Glasto was bang average. Didn’t have anything impressive at all. 

People on here always go on about how great the food is there, I don’t understand that at all. 

Have to agree entirely with this. Without wanting to sound like a London w*nker, basically nothing I had was anything above perhaps an average stall at one of those street food markets like Street Feast. Nothing was anywhere close to basically anything you'd get at Borough Market.

It was all utterly disappointing and really average.

To the extent that I spent half an hour queuing at the Burger and Beyond stall on the Sunday just so I could guarantee some food that wasn't disappointing.

Maybe I made bad choices but I had a wide variety of stuff and the best thing I could say about it was that it wasn't badly cooked.

Special shout out to the salt beef bagel though that was probably the worst meal I have ever eaten at any festival ever.

7 minutes ago, Isaact said:

To the extent that I spent half an hour queuing at the Burger and Beyond stall on the Sunday just so I could guarantee some food that wasn't disappointing.

Thats the problem. All the nice places have massive queues. At all times. I even tried changing my eating times to miss the queues - lunch at 11.30am, dinner a 4pm etc - but nah. Fucking massive queues all the time everywhere. 50 deep for some of the nice places. 

Sunday I walked all around Williams Green, the main drag to the meeting point, the markets up towards West Holts, all around to the theatre field and every single stall had massive queues. Half hour wait minimum.

Watched people queue for well over an hour for the chicken in Williams Green on Sunday.  

3 hours ago, The Nal said:

Thats the problem. All the nice places have massive queues. At all times. I even tried changing my eating times to miss the queues - lunch at 11.30am, dinner a 4pm etc - but nah. Fucking massive queues all the time everywhere. 50 deep for some of the nice places. 

Sunday I walked all around Williams Green, the main drag to the meeting point, the markets up towards West Holts, all around to the theatre field and every single stall had massive queues. Half hour wait minimum.

Watched people queue for well over an hour for the chicken in Williams Green on Sunday.  

Strange.  I went there at about 11:45am on Saturday and the queue was about 5 people.  2 servers, sorted in 5 minutes.

22 hours ago, ClementsMike said:

The Crackling Nuts stall in Williams Green was good, nice ice cream pots.

Meal wise, ended up just choosing the shortest queues when we needed to eat. Only afterwards you reflect and think how chill you were about handing over thirty quid for two burgers and fries ... 

Plenty of decent coffee this year too. 

This was lovely! I may now always eat caramel ice cream with caramelised cashews as my dessert of choice!

• Like 1

Best : Persian (peacock?) veggie curry in the park 

Holy Cow burger and dirty fries (park)

Venezuelan pulled beef buns and sweet potato fries in West Holts

Duck and chips in west holts

Hawaiian poke with salmon sashimi in WG

cracking nuts ice cream in WG

worst: yorky (rock hard!)

annie Mac (I like my Mac and cheese to stand up on it’s own - too runny)

4CEB9C6C-F641-4437-91A2-A0DEDF6E1C20.jpeg

27BC63AD-E156-4524-9D9F-39112A97D9A9.jpeg

60C49553-A727-46B4-A3E0-75E0D0B4F509.jpeg

0CAF5C41-8BDB-4656-B8DC-BD8AB8A83E97.jpeg

E69F82DE-F6C8-4FC3-9F5D-F17C3D4F5C7A.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Wherethewildthingsare said:

Venezuelan pulled beef buns and sweet potato fries in West Holts

0CAF5C41-8BDB-4656-B8DC-BD8AB8A83E97.jpeg

This was good. 9/10 for quality. 3/10 for portion size.

It wasnt a bun, it was in a potato cake type of thing wasn't it? Really nice. Just needed to be bigger. Could have eaten 3.

Edited by FuzzyDunlop
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

This was good. 9/10 for quality. 3/10 for portion size.

It wasnt a bun, it was in a potato cake type of thing wasn't it? Really nice. Just needed to be bigger. Could have eaten 3.

Yes it was a sort of bao bun crossed with a potato cake? Worked well with extra sweet potato fries 

On 6/27/2022 at 1:50 PM, balti-pie said:

The Only Jerkin Caribbean fried chicken stall in west holts was absolutely bloody magnificent - had a bit of me mate’s on the weds, and was saving it for maximum deployment which came when I was bloody starving on sat lunchtime. 10/10 could not be bettered 

Agreed! Had the mixed box on Saturday sat in the sunshine and it was bloody brilliant

Best : by far the bayou surf and turf that others have mentioned, special shout out to the chicken and halloumi gyro from a Greek stall between pyramid and San remo that was fantastic.

worst: sadly after all the hype, Annie maes. Just wasn’t up to much as we had had lots of great food throughout the week. We waited before bootleg Beatles for one and must say was dissapointed 

Best: 1/3 pounder Porky Burger from a yellow truck place (with a kitchen in a tent behind) near WH (may have been Eat The Farm?) Best burger I've ever eaten I think. At £9.50 almost definitely the most I've ever paid for a burger. Worth it. Wish I'd found it before Sunday evening.

Worst: £6.50 for two tiny, burnt sausages in a stale baguette. Can't remember where.

Stale dry buns were an issue at a lot of places (as always).

Biggest rip offs: Can't remember where again but £8.50 for a lemon & sugar pancake (£5 most places). What can I say? Was hungry and had a sugar craving.

Also a drinks place at the top of Big Ground .First place I went on the Wednesday. £3 for a tiny cup of tea and then they only had brown sugar!

Cheapest cup of tea I found was £1.50 near Williams Green, but they didn't do real milk. How the fuck do you milk an oat or a potato anyway? They don't have an udder or teats of any description. Bloody hipsters.

Agree about the ridiculous queues almost everywhere. Almost as if if you let x000's more people in you may need to provide a few more food stalls, bars and urinals to deal with them.

Plenty of room for more food stalls. Loads of gaps between them that are just fences covered in brown hesian. A bit more competition may keep the prices steady for a while as well.

5 hours ago, The Nal said:

Didn’t queue more than 5/10 minutes to order and receive good all weekend

Bad: the burger stall at the corner of Other stage.

good: jolly hog in west holts.  Dutch pancakes at other. Baguette place in worthy view. Breakfast bap at a food stall next to the guardian stall on the way to the park from pennards.

yeah, trying to find a not so long wait for food was a challenge. Wanted to try a couple kebab spots but just too much of a wait. 

Queues held me back a bit but Mexican Seoul the best - had all the tacos at 6 for £10, 2 of each flavour, which were nice but particularly the beef were amazing, then back for the chicken wings that I really wanted in the first place before they said it was a 15 minute. £8 for 5 or 6 giant wings (more like legs), super crispy and in an incredible sauce.

Found some momos too near the BBC Intro, very tasty of course, and the dhal with rice was decent for a fiver and to get a bit more filled up.

Paella - the £5 portion was more than enough and very tasty as always, even though I make my own quite regularly and theirs wasn't that much better. Olives also very tasty.

Pasty has been mentioned I think heading towards CV East, for me if the same one I was on the way to Acoustic from the back of Pyramid. Bought it before Paul & Jacqui and ate it when I get home (to the tent afterwards)! Very nice and huge, almost Oggie size?

Lastly, pie for £4 on its own or chips and an excellent curry sauce only £1 extra! Nothing to write home about in general, but at about 4 am with not much open it was a decent meal to fall asleep in your belly. Near Leftfield I think, I seem to remember walking past Eat The Farm.

Oh and on that note, their breakfast burger for a fiver was very very good flavour and value. I settled for the much closer breakfast quesadillas that I always get opposite Other after that, which were also nice as usual and not bad for £6.= either.

Best - Lebanese Meze stall in Park. Delicious mix of 8-9 different dishes (Veggie & Vegan) for £11. Only found it on the Sunday afternoon but will head back in the future.

Worst - Caribbean (Delicious?) place to the left of the stage in Park.  Lukewarm Goat Curry with rice for £10. Chaotic queuing system with a long wait which wasn't worth it.

Jumping back in for a couple honourable mentions. Firstly just adding my name to the list of Duck Truck fans in WH. Had the duck "burger" it was a full slab of duck breast in a bun and the chips were top notch too. 

Also, one that i have not seen mentioned yet, back of West Holts - Mexican Ice Lollys (Palletas) - Watermelon and Kiwi flavour was amazing. 

IMG_3861.JPG

Worst: Bacon Melt Panini (I knew I'd regret it, but couldn't find anything better without a 15min queue for breakfast)

Best: Mexican Seoul / Poutine / Raclette / Buddha Bowl / Duck Wrap / Chicken Burger Hennys? (across buddha bowl)

I think we got lucky, almost everything we got was really good & could have easily had twice.

Being our 3rd time, Wednesday was spent scouting out as much as possible, writing into a small list of "wants" & then later figuring out when during the weekend we could realistically fit the meals in, in between gigs & also plan when we'd actually hungry. Our list was longer than the amount of meals we had, but mostly a good thing, incase some had a ridiculous queue.

Living in London, the prices were not too much of a surprise, but they still hurt the pockets. Some places didn't even have a £5 option? Thought it was a req. 

A not so obvious tip, is to pick food that is closer to the main stages for Weds/Thurs, because by Fri-Sun the queues will be triple for most of the day. Unless you manage to eat at completely different times to the masses.

Big fan of the English Indian fish and chips. Got a half and half with fish and halloumi. Quite big portions and it slowed me down for a while!

The poutine opposite Leftfield was okay but made up for with a pudding of rhubarb crumble (with added nuts) and custard.

The coffee from the magic teapot each morning by the John Peel stage was always reassuringly strong and bitter. And a nice quiet spot to wake up for the day in. 

6 hours ago, The Nal said:

Yup, had to swerve Goan fish curry this year and that's my absolute tradition, I swear each time I walked by the queue was touching the path near the sound desk.

1 hour ago, Dazmandingo96 said:

Best : by far the bayou surf and turf that others have mentioned, special shout out to the chicken and halloumi gyro from a Greek stall between pyramid and San remo that was fantastic.

worst: sadly after all the hype, Annie maes. Just wasn’t up to much as we had had lots of great food throughout the week. We waited before bootleg Beatles for one and must say was dissapointed 

I was disappointed by Annie Mac’s this year.