Love the Farm Leave no Trace 2022

Tranquility of Solitude

5 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

One of the things that I keep reading on Twitter is that Glastonbury powered the electric vehicle charging points with diesel generators. Is that actually true? 

If we're going to get into diesel use then we can forget any claim of Glastonbury having any environmental credentials.

A conversation with someone responsible for the stage electrics in SE corner led to a "back of a fag packet" calculation and very rough estimate that the festival uses between half a million and one million litres of diesel just running the stages.

19 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

If we're going to get into diesel use then we can forget any claim of Glastonbury having any environmental credentials.

A conversation with someone responsible for the stage electrics in SE corner led to a "back of a fag packet" calculation and very rough estimate that the festival uses between half a million and one million litres of diesel just running the stages.

I was looking at the diesel generator/floodlights at Bluedot last weekend and thinking surely we can’t be too far away from having battery stations for them instead?

Whack a solar panel on top for a bit of trickle charging, LED lights to minimise usage and I’m sure you could get a weeks worth of night time illumination from the same size trailer. Probably just a matter of cost & replacing the huge number of diesel generator/floodlight units already out there.

Prob a while off powering the whole Pyramid off batteries though. 🙂

5 minutes ago, jimmillen said:

I was looking at the diesel generator/floodlights at Bluedot last weekend and thinking surely we can’t be too far away from having battery stations for them instead?

Whack a solar panel on top for a bit of trickle charging, LED lights to minimise usage and I’m sure you could get a weeks worth of night time illumination from the same size trailer. Probably just a matter of cost & replacing the huge number of diesel generator/floodlight units already out there.

Prob a while off powering the whole Pyramid off batteries though. 🙂

It’s already powered by solar charged batteries 😂… 

32 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

The majority of the generators run on hydro treated vegetable oil.

I was saddened to see no solar panels anywhere to be honest. I thought I'd see some. Guess there must be some, that are well hidden.

There were lots of large open spaces that weren't performance spaces, and a huge demand for shelter / shade, why not put those solar panel topped shelters in all over the place? Obviously they'll never meet the total demand with Solar from on site, but every little helps, and they'd kill 2 birds with one stone*. 

green-parking.thumb.jpg.fb43b58dd7f339d06fd3a52a4b122e54.jpg

*No birds were harmed in the making of this crazy opinion / idea... Please don't kill any birds. 

2 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

I was saddened to see no solar panels anywhere to be honest. I thought I'd see some. Guess there must be some, that are well hidden.

There were lots of large open spaces that weren't performance spaces, and a huge demand for shelter / shade, why not put those solar panel topped shelters in all over the place? Obviously they'll never meet the total demand with Solar from on site, but every little helps, and they'd kill 2 birds with one stone*. 

*No birds were harmed in the making of this crazy opinion / idea... Please don't kill any birds. 

There’s 1500 sq metres of solar panels on the cow sheds.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

I think there are some by the chicken shed by gate A ? 

44 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Cheers for that info

Well, it’s relevant against the claim that glasto doesn’t have any green credentials. 85% less co2 than diesel generators. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, stuie said:

There’s 1500 sq metres of solar panels on the cow sheds.

OK I missed them then... Visible from above only? 

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

I think there are some by the chicken shed by gate A ? 

Thanks, I thought there must be...

Still think they could do something like this in lots of open areas, especially near market areas, to provide shelter and power. 🙂 

43 minutes ago, Alvoram said:

OK I missed them then... Visible from above only? 

Thanks, I thought there must be...

Still think they could do something like this in lots of open areas, especially near market areas, to provide shelter and power. 🙂 

I’d imagine the cows want somewhere to graze … those solar panels can’t taste that nice … Seriously though I’m sure they invest where they can but it won’t be all in one go 

3 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I’d imagine the cows want somewhere to graze … those solar panels can’t taste that nice … Seriously though I’m sure they invest where they can but it won’t be all in one go 

Good one 😂 

Not sure what they taste like, last time I tried one it burnt my lip so I spat it out... 

I did mean temporary structures. 😂 Although, if they were all year round, they'd certainly reduce their overall footprint significantly, with the amount they'd generate at none festival times. 

There's the stalls too. Every stall should be made to fit some (suitably sized / weighted) panels to their roof, every empty roof space is a waste. 

Reskin the pyramid, other, JP etc with those new solar fabric / flexible solar panels.

Mini wind turbines instead of, or atop of, the flags everywhere. They'd certainly generate a fair whack. 

If only money (and probably H&S) was no issue huh? 🤷‍♂️

(In case it isn't obvious, I'm partly joking and know I'm being unrealistic, but I do think we'll start to see innovations appearing slowly over the next decade or two, as the festival genuinely do seem to care.) 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, parsonjack said:

The thought of attendants silently and invisibly clearing up after gangs of braying toffs makes me shudder.

I thought the days of Empire had ended long ago.

Vile.

I had cause to go to an 'old money' wedding reception a few weeks ago. I wasn't a guest. I was picking up a couple who had been guests at the wedding, and were also guests at our Airbnb. I must admit the opulence of the reception was was mesmerising. I have been to one cosmically opulent wedding as a quest. however, that was 'new money'. I drove to that wedding in a Ford Sierra. it was only on the morning of the wedding that UI thought it best to take the roof rack off the car, as some might see it as unsightly. Anyway, when i got there, all (and I mean every single one of them) the other cars were cars like Bentleys Ferrari's, Rolls Royces etc etc. Mine was the only average Joe's car there. When i look back on it now, i really should have left that roof rack on.

Anyway, I have digressed enormously from what I had originally intended to say. I had meant to say that that the difference between the two was, if I can be so bold, - class. The 'posh' reception had style. Why wouldn't it - they have enough wealth to do what they want. Then other wedding, although enjoyable for me (free champagne from about 12 noon until 1am) was tasteless. Get this - 'they' didn't like the flowers that the florist had arranged and provided a day before the wedding. They especially didn't like the flowers themselves. So, what did they do? They sent their private jet and presumably a staff member to fly down to Cornwall to pick some other flowers. Insane. Of course they did'n't really dislike the flowers. it was a vulgar show of wealth.

Anyway, I've had a joint and it has worked. i think the above may have no relevance to your post.

Oh no it does connect now. i ultimately wanted to say that the days of the empire may be practiced by increasingly fewer people whose family wealth has carried them thus far. Don't worry though, the 'new money' will also look down on you.

3 hours ago, stuie said:

Yes, but they told people that there were no charging facilities and to make sure they are full before they park at the festival.   The diesel generator charging points were provided by RAC/AA for emergency use only.

Cheers, that makes a lot more sense than what I was reading.

20 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Oh my word - a fellow sufferer! Should we form a self help group?  I mean I just don't get a lot of the conversations on here, at all - my own included!

Great idea, we could call it SANITI

Smile And Nod In Total Ignorance. 

(No, I couldn't think of a synonym beginning with Y!!!)

7 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Ah the old carbon offsetting plant some trees blag.

You're right of course, that the festival isn't 'really' carbon neutral. But I am impressed with the sum of the things they already do in that way. Lots of which I did not know the details of, so thanks for posting that @Gnomicide

Just now, Alvoram said:

You're right of course, that the festival isn't 'really' carbon neutral. But I am impressed with the sum of the things they already do in that way. Lots of which I did not know the details of, so thanks for posting that @Gnomicide

To be fair they have done incredibly well.

37 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

I've posted this a few times before but worth a read:

https://www.theecoexperts.co.uk/blog/glastonbury-carbon-footprint

Great read. 

More info here, but I think the page needs updating. 

https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/information/green-glastonbury/our-green-policies/energy-policy/

23 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

How Glastonbury combats noise pollution

By making the sound on the stages too quiet. You really shouldn't be able to hold a normal conversation within 5 rows of the front during a performance.

What stage are you talking about? I was only in the front 5 rows for Bicep at West Holts this year but I thought I was going to have an heart attack then! 😂

4 minutes ago, stuie said:

Great read. 

More info here, but I think the page needs updating. 

https://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/information/green-glastonbury/our-green-policies/energy-policy/

What stage are you talking about? I was only in the front 5 rows for Bicep at West Holts this year but I thought I was going to have an heart attack then! 😂

West Holts specifically.

Was most disappointed as normally they have the best sound.

59 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

West Holts specifically.

Was most disappointed as normally they have the best sound.

Well, to be fair the sound was a bit shambolic on that stage this year. For Bicep it was booming but for Caribou on Saturday it was awful cutting out and then running on half power.