Love the Farm Leave no Trace 2022

Tranquility of Solitude

6 hours ago, ProperTea said:

Not to sound like a dick but how do they know it's 99%? Does somebody go round with a pen and paper on the Thursday counting how many tents there are? Then someone goes around again on the Tuesday after the festival to count how many is left and work out the percentage that was taken home? 😁

They don't- its nonsense. Even more of a lie than when Shambala claim no one left a tent the other year.

Whilst you are all giving yourselves big slaps on the back for showing each other pictures of your grass patch's (probably the most salacious thing some of you have ever done in your lives), just remember that because you all think you're so eco conscious, Glastonbury will have sent home scores of paid workers who come after the festival finishes early, so they wont have earned as much as they hoped/budgeted for. You have also denied refugees a free tent, 'tatters' a free tent and also the grid from receiving energy due to incineration of left over stuff. Its great that some shitty old tent is going to stay stashed in your shed for a whole year without being used, but please do not try and make out that you are some sort of Swampy because you took your tent home. 

• Downvote 6

2 minutes ago, CauliflowerEar said:

They don't- its nonsense. Even more of a lie than when Shambala claim no one left a tent the other year.

I can verify the Shambala claim. I was on the last stewarding shift on the Monday of that year (2021), as I finished there was definitely only one expensive tent left. It was a high spec backpacking tent, only a certain type buy those, and they don't leave them.

1 minute ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Wait, you left a whole bottle of rum there? I'm sure the lock up stewards had a good time Monday night! 😆

70cl worth ....  it came home with me when I checked it out on Monday ... i hadn't realised it was still in my bag 

34 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

70cl worth ....  it came home with me when I checked it out on Monday ... i hadn't realised it was still in my bag 

Oh, so you got it back. At least it was safe for the next weekend and I'm guessing unmixed. I had to catch a flight so the 1.5 litres I found had to be chucked unfortunately! Luckily, it was only Tesco own brand!

Great weather again helped. Always used to seem a lot worse on when it was a mud bath or boggy fest. 

In 07 somebody I camped with left a great big tents and just went home.. I packed it all away and wheeled it back to the car.. then the cheeky bugger asked if he could have it back a few months later after leaving it for dead 🙄

7 hours ago, CauliflowerEar said:

Whilst you are all giving yourselves big slaps on the back for showing each other pictures of your grass patch's (probably the most salacious thing some of you have ever done in your lives), just remember that because you all think you're so eco conscious, Glastonbury will have sent home scores of paid workers who come after the festival finishes early, so they wont have earned as much as they hoped/budgeted for. You have also denied refugees a free tent, 'tatters' a free tent and also the grid from receiving energy due to incineration of left over stuff. Its great that some shitty old tent is going to stay stashed in your shed for a whole year without being used, but please do not try and make out that you are some sort of Swampy because you took your tent home. 

I don't have a shed 😞 

Also, why do we need tents for potatoes? 

10 minutes ago, Neville Street said:

Small festival near us in Cornwall (Holifair) is having no bins this year. You have to take all your own rubbish home. Kind of like that idea, not an easy one at G, but like the plastic bottle ban, maybe there’s something to be explored.

That would be insane at any large scale festival. How would you be expected to keep all of your food containers, paper cups, empty drinks containers etc from 5/6 days of consuming, then take it all back on the coach with you, as well as the luggage you came with... Can you imagine? They had enough trouble getting people to take things that weren't 'junk' home with them. (tents.) 

I mean, it might work if you completely do away with all traders, and so everybody has to bring their own food and drink (ensuring they have enough room to take home the waste from it too.) Otherwise you'd essentially be expecting them to take away all trader waste with them, as there aren't any bins to put uneaten food and packaging into. 🙈

It would also be very unhygienic, possibly dangerously so. Imagine storing half eaten, rotting food, in your tent from Wednesday to Monday if the weather is warm! 

Stage areas would be a total carpet of empty cans, I mean you literally wouldn't be able to find an empty patch to put your feet. It's already quite bad by the end of the night, and most people seem to use the bins. 

Ultimately I do not think Environmental Health would allow it at a festival on this scale. There's a good reason they have to have their own recycling centre. 

It’s certainly not easy, but we’ve seen mid sized festivals using 100% reusable cups for many years, for example.

Another example is all traders using the same range of reusable containers so they can be collected and cleaned not recycled/landfilled, including for chips and pizzas. You pay a deposit and then get it back when you finally don’t swap the item at the end of the day or the end of the event. Lots of universities do this with food trucks and totally mixed trader environments, collecting the items and centrally cleaning and distributing back to traders, so it’s not impossible.

G scale is tricky for those things, but change will come I’m sure.

On 7/13/2022 at 5:01 PM, CauliflowerEar said:

Ooooooh. Look at me. Please look at me. Look just how edgy I’m prepared to be on a Glastonbury forum. Tempted to upvote for lols alone.

On 7/16/2022 at 11:48 PM, Neville Street said:

Small festival near us in Cornwall (Holifair) is having no bins this year. You have to take all your own rubbish home. Kind of like that idea, not an easy one at G, but like the plastic bottle ban, maybe there’s something to be explored.

That's entirely a cost-saving measure. Whether the rubbish is disposed of by the festivals or the punters it's the same thing environmentally. I've certainly been to smaller festivals that at least request any campsite rubbish is taken back with you but that's just so either the festival save money or the council hit their targets.

On 7/20/2022 at 6:05 PM, Neville Street said:

Doesn’t Boomtown have some scheme for this?

Don't know about Boomtown never been, but Shambala have some sort of deposit scheme reclaimable on presenting a bag of recycling or something of that nature.

Again Shambala, who are streets ahead of the game re sustainability, don't allow food traders to use any form of mugs, you have to provide your own.

Just now, Skip997 said:

Don't know about Boomtown never been, but Shambala have some sort of deposit scheme reclaimable on presenting a bag of recycling or something of that nature.

Again Shambala, who are streets ahead of the game re sustainability, don't allow food traders to use any form of mugs, you have to provide your own.

I think it’s worth understanding that Glastonbury is likely to be a late adopter in terms of most things site wide … that doesn’t mean they shouldn’t try things On a smaller scale though … I’m suprised  that the cups aren’t reused on a bigger scale now … this year trialled compostable crisp packets and electric powered site cars for transporting vips onsite 

On 7/16/2022 at 11:48 PM, Neville Street said:

Small festival near us in Cornwall (Holifair) is having no bins this year. 

Not really relevant to this thread I know, but that reminded me of the Henley Festival. There are no bins there. The Henley type of punter aren't used to clearing up after themselves I suppose. 

Instead, there are staff all dressed in black who scoot around trying to be invisible constantly collecting rubbish. They remove it from tables, the ground and offer to take your pint plastic as soon as you finish the last gulp. 

Kind of litter Ninjas. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/25/2022 at 8:26 PM, Sawdusty surfer said:

Kind of litter Ninjas. 

A bit like the Wombles. 

While on that kind of subject, it is my firm belief that we should hand over the reigns of this country (and all others too) to the Clangers. When a Clanger says;

Then you know full well it actually is

Oh, here comes nursey with my Laudanum. How delightful.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

A bit like the Wombles. 

While on that kind of subject, it is my firm belief that we should hand over the reigns of this country (and all others too) to the Clangers. When a Clanger says;

Then you know full well it actually is

Oh, here comes nursey with my Laudanum. How delightful.

I'm way too sober for this shit... 

Edited by Alvoram

10 hours ago, Alvoram said:

I'm way too sober for this shit... 

It really was a load of twaddle, wasn't it? I often post when the balance of the mind is disturbed. Mind you, that's because I am, nearly always in a state that has been artificially altered.

See that above!? More shite all over again.

Still, it kills some time.

That said, I am sorry. I am sorry that I have wasted your time. And mine.

• Upvote 1

On 7/25/2022 at 8:26 PM, Sawdusty surfer said:

Not really relevant to this thread I know, but that reminded me of the Henley Festival. There are no bins there. The Henley type of punter aren't used to clearing up after themselves I suppose. 

Instead, there are staff all dressed in black who scoot around trying to be invisible constantly collecting rubbish. They remove it from tables, the ground and offer to take your pint plastic as soon as you finish the last gulp. 

Kind of litter Ninjas. 

The thought of attendants silently and invisibly clearing up after gangs of braying toffs makes me shudder.

I thought the days of Empire had ended long ago.

Vile.

4 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

It really was a load of twaddle, wasn't it? I often post when the balance of the mind is disturbed. Mind you, that's because I am, nearly always in a state that has been artificially altered.

See that above!? More shite all over again.

Still, it kills some time.

That said, I am sorry. I am sorry that I have wasted your time. And mine.

Hey sorry, I meant 'that show' rather than your post.

Your post didn't make sense to me either, but I just assumed it was some inside joke that I didn't get 🙈😂 (often the case.) 

3 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

One of the things that I keep reading on Twitter is that Glastonbury powered the electric vehicle charging points with diesel generators. Is that actually true? 

Yes, but they told people that there were no charging facilities and to make sure they are full before they park at the festival.   The diesel generator charging points were provided by RAC/AA for emergency use only.

• Thanks 1