Love the Farm Leave no Trace 2022

Tranquility of Solitude

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Skip997 said:

Not bad.

Now lets try and match Shambala.

Zero tents left there last year.

its pretty decent id say ... not there yet but continuing to improve .... all those tents in my photos in the foreground had occupants and were being taken home ... maybe not the 2 chairs ... but its important that momentum builds and it becomes less of a norm to leave things to be disposed of .... people should be embarrassed  if they do . you could also compare it with Reading and Leeds ... I think you probably picked out the best festival ... and me deliberately the worst 

The patches of light green grass where the tents have been is so beautiful for some reason. It's like a mark of terrirtory, that it was a person's place of rest for 5 days, I love it.

Hopefully it keeps on improving. Message is clearly getting through, but like anything, there's always room for improvement!

• Downvote 1

Just now, Rufus Gwertigan said:

I have done after festival litter picking before to help pay for the festival and you could get 8 weeks work.

I did the litter pick once in the mid 90's. Five of us were asked to clean out the ditchs/rivers,hedgerows and woods, don't think that's been done since.I left the site at the end of August, arrived skint, left with a van.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

Interesting that some of the tents have lusher grass surrounding them than some others, maybe they were getting "watered" more?

or maybe the tents caused shade ? or walkways caused more wear on some areas than others 

Edited by crazyfool1

6 minutes ago, Simsy said:

I wonder how many of that 99% were taken home by the people who brought them, and how many were discarded but taken by someone else.

It's a very good point, the prices of new tents have certainly gone up over the last 2 or so years, I suspect the era of cheap "disposable" tents has gone, even if someone were willing to lose money on one by leaving it behind there would now be money to be made by reselling one, especially a good brand.

16 minutes ago, Simsy said:

I wonder how many of that 99% were taken home by the people who brought them, and how many were discarded but taken by someone else.

I camp in a big group and we have a few international travellers who don't have a choice but to buy a tent that they can't take away, in my experience their tents get packed down and someone in the group will take it gladly.  I didn't take any pics this year but I was one of the last to go and the field looked lovely, no trash or abandoned camping gear, the recycling point in Darble was barely half full compared to most years where it's piled up around the outside for several feet.

The site was clean the whole festival, not quite 2019 clean but still cleaner than any other glastonbury I've attended.  Bins were never overflowing anywhere I went and it was really only ever the pyramid and west holts that I saw dropped trash in any amount of note.  This was definitely one of the things they got right this year.

46 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

I did the litter pick once in the mid 90's. Five of us were asked to clean out the ditchs/rivers,hedgerows and woods, don't think that's been done since.I left the site at the end of August, arrived skint, left with a van.

Off topic but a lot of the work at festivals used to be done cash in hand and things have changed now and it's all declared and everything I'm not saying that's a bad thing at least you wear minimum wage but it puts a lot of people off working. I used to work many festivals for the cash subsidise the smaller festivals where I work for free Glastonbury was one of them big cash cows but it's all changed.

Darble felt clean throughout. The last time I went was 2017 and even Pyramid felt so much cleaner! No standing on cans or food containers constantly - very impressed with the clean up job at other each day too. Still some way to go of course, but huge improvements since 2017.

20220627_071804.jpg

1 hour ago, gizmoman said:

It's a very good point, the prices of new tents have certainly gone up over the last 2 or so years, I suspect the era of cheap "disposable" tents has gone, even if someone were willing to lose money on one by leaving it behind there would now be money to be made by reselling one, especially a good brand.

definitely not. maybe at glastonbury where people are more caring about it but reading will be littered with them no doubt. its a mindset thing, not price - cheap popups are still only about £30. that's not even 5 pints worth

2 hours ago, Spindles said:

I camp in a big group and we have a few international travellers who don't have a choice but to buy a tent that they can't take away, in my experience their tents get packed down and someone in the group will take it gladly.

We are grateful to these kinds of people! This year our 4 adult kids shared a tent we got in Kidney Mead the year Lionel Ritchie played (or ELO?). Anyway, a few years ago. We were carefully finishing our site clean around our area after packing up and our neighbours said they’d come from abroad and couldn’t take their tent with them. They had packed it so well it was like we had just got it from Halfords or somewhere. It’s done many G, EOTR, BDs and more since then.

It does bring to mind a sight I passed every day when leaving or returning the camp, was the saddest fresh and black at Glastonbury.

Right on the corner of Darble, just above the lockup, was a rather sad looking inflatable fresh and black that was in various states of deflated disrepair throughout.  The door was open and a suitcase and some crap was on the floor, but it looked like the owners never returned to it all weekend.  I couldn't understand it, the tent looked brand new, just put up badly and then abandoned.