Things that baffle me

dulcificum

5 hours ago, dmedxb said:

One more piss story, because why not? Shoutout to the young lady having a piss next to a row of ATMs and then shouted at someone for the briefest glance in her direction! 

I was in the very crowded  urinals after one of the headliners and a lady was squatting down next to the fence inside the urinals with great crowds of men streaming in and out. She looked up and said I can't go I've got stage fright with all these people around me! 

4 hours ago, Keithy said:

I’ve made my peace with chatters at festivals. A lot of the crowds are there to catch a bit of the set or a passing interest and chat through the songs they don’t know. It’s just a trait of festivals and casual music fans. Previously in the past I’ve just moved away from them but this year it was much more difficult due to the crowds. Wet Leg in particular had a lot of people there just to hear Chaise Longue and just chatted through the set until that song. And then proceeded to go mad and will probably tell all and sundry that Wet Leg was amazing, I was there etc.

You get chatters at gigs but it’s generally a mate and their friend. Festivals tends to be groups of mates so it’s much worse. Normally I can tune out one or two but groups is impossible.

Special place in hell though for the people who say they hate chatters and then proceed to chat themselves.

Yeah, sorry about that! 😄

4 hours ago, Keithy said:

I’ve made my peace with chatters at festivals. A lot of the crowds are there to catch a bit of the set or a passing interest and chat through the songs they don’t know. It’s just a trait of festivals and casual music fans. Previously in the past I’ve just moved away from them but this year it was much more difficult due to the crowds. Wet Leg in particular had a lot of people there just to hear Chaise Longue and just chatted through the set until that song. And then proceeded to go mad and will probably tell all and sundry that Wet Leg was amazing, I was there etc.

You get chatters at gigs but it’s generally a mate and their friend. Festivals tends to be groups of mates so it’s much worse. Normally I can tune out one or two but groups is impossible.

Special place in hell though for the people who say they hate chatters and then proceed to chat themselves.

If I am near the back etc I can understand people chatting at a festival but I find it quite unforgivable when people go right in amongst the crowd and proceed to talk all the way through a set because it’s just not easy to move away from those. You hope by getting in amongst it that you are with the real fans and that there will be a great atmosphere but these days it seems to be pot luck. 

On 6/26/2022 at 1:38 PM, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

I certainly wouldn't begrudge someone making a short video of this length, but I've stood behind ppl who have tried to film entire songs. I let a woman in front of me film thinking, "oh she just wants to show her mates something". A full song and a half later I had to tap her on the shoulder and ask her to let us watch the show as well, which she did quote politely, and it was all gravy, but I guess I meant full songs/sets.

The worst one of those I've experienced was the guy in front of me filming all 15 minutes of "Mogwai Fear Satan" and thus completely blocking my view for the whole song. w*nker.

Just a lurker who didn't go reading with FOMO, but chatter throughout entire sets is bullshit awful behaviour. Quick word to your mates, sure, but I've been at festival shows where people are just talking for an hour about what they're going to have for tea while they wait for "their" band to come on and they're the worst people.

11 hours ago, maelzoid said:

It's not enough for me to have a good time there - I want everyone to have a good time there. And I want the festival to keep going, to keep moving forward and taking us all with it.

Fair point, completely agree with this comment mate !

• Like 1

12 hours ago, deepkittycaz said:

The worst one of those I've experienced was the guy in front of me filming all 15 minutes of "Mogwai Fear Satan" and thus completely blocking my view for the whole song. w*nker.

Generally, I find people don't realise that their "little" phone in a sea of people can be blocking anyone. If it's 5+ minutes, a tap on the shoulder and a polite "Excuse me, we'd also like to watch the show too" normally does the trick, or something along those lines. All depends on the gig mind you. I had a friend who asked some lads to chatting shit through a Kasabian gig and got attacked. It would have probably been wiser to move away from an angry bunch of knobheads like that.

Not to pigeonhole, but I'm sure the crowd at a Mogwai gig are far friendlier than that. As long as you're polite, most people will accept they've had a fair chance to film and put their phone away.

On 6/28/2022 at 10:53 AM, pie_and_a_pint said:

And yet there was SIGNIFICANTLY less litter this year than in any previous year I’ve been. Thankfully people are getting the message (and having no plastic bottles has helped too). 

There is no excuse for even 5% of the mountain of litter we had this year. It's only mass-market UK festival where it's this disgusting, people have an entitlement complex. It's really not hard to just put your cups and cans in your pockets until you get to a bin.

As this was my first Glastonbury doing bar shifts, I was completely baffled by how busy we were during prime music stage times. I get that people need a rest/drink between sets, but behind the bar I was constantly thinking why stand around here drinking when you could be watching Macca/Paul Heaton/Foals/Pet Shop Boys etc etc..... I think I’d rather stay at home, spare myself the cost and crowds if I was going to do that. When not working, I do most of my drinking Wed/Thu or post headliners. But each to their own.

On 6/28/2022 at 6:30 PM, rubenz said:

I was in the very crowded  urinals after one of the headliners and a lady was squatting down next to the fence inside the urinals with great crowds of men streaming in and out. She looked up and said I can't go I've got stage fright with all these people around me! 

Wifey. 

On 6/26/2022 at 12:32 PM, al_coholic said:

It is quite staggering how many people bring their chairs, picnics and just sit at the Pyramid all day. 

its not how i choose to spend my festival - but who gives a fuck... if someone wants to spend all day at the Pyramid good luck to 'em.

• Upvote 1

On 6/27/2022 at 4:40 PM, crazyfool1 said:

I’m not one to really let chatters bother me too much … but they did when Greta was doing her speech on the pyramid … it’s certainly something worth listening too for a short period of time and will massively impact peoples lives for years to come 

She did go on a bit though 😉

11 hours ago, dulcificum said:

There is no excuse for even 5% of the mountain of litter we had this year. It's only mass-market UK festival where it's this disgusting, people have an entitlement complex. It's really not hard to just put your cups and cans in your pockets until you get to a bin.

You mean these bins? 

58C1D0D8-3520-4F5C-980B-B9D4480BBAD4.jpeg

BAD83873-23C4-40A8-B95A-17FD03F0BF2F.jpeg

28 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

You mean these bins? 

58C1D0D8-3520-4F5C-980B-B9D4480BBAD4.jpeg

BAD83873-23C4-40A8-B95A-17FD03F0BF2F.jpeg

Yes. That was also shocking as it's not hard to work out when bins will need doing and makes life a lot easier for punters and litter crew but it's still 1000x better to leave your crap in a pile next to a bin rather than chuck it on the floor or leave it on a table.

Really, are you seriously making excuses for people who don't clean up after themselves?

On 6/27/2022 at 12:22 PM, Matt87 said:

Also, what’s going on with all the flares? Anytime I went to one of the major stages there were multiple flares going off. 

There was a guy who lit one near me before Wet Leg - they hadn’t even been walked on stage yet. Clearly didn’t know that it’s basically holding an intense fire in your hand, and tried to drop it on the floor when he complained, “it’s burning me!”. Everyone started booing him and he realised he’d made a massive mistake, but still, people around were getting burnt. It’s no laughing matter. 

This was shortly after he loudly asked if anyone would mind if he has a piss in a pint cup. Absolutely one of the worst people I've stood near at Glasto.

On 6/28/2022 at 2:35 PM, Keithy said:

This irritated me quite a bit with the combination of chatting all through the set and then getting their phones out to record the one song they know.

• Like 1

On 6/26/2022 at 11:54 AM, Smeble said:

People who walk around the site as if there’s nobody else there piss me off, they just go straight through you if you are in their way, my wife got pushed over by someone in a stewards hi viz just before McCartney, just barging through the crowd not giving a fuck.

special people who don’t seem to have to queue like everyone else🙄🙄, anytime there’s a queue, there’s people who think it doesn’t apply to them.

And a general life one. Why do people with children suddenly lose to use of their legs and for some reason expect to park nearer to everything? Or jump queues? What was my local Tesco had the lazy parent and child spaces almost in the store, closer than the disabled spaces, and closer to the door than the trolley park, which of course they never return🙄🙄

’entitlement’ is a modern name for general ignorance, there’s a level of general ignorance in society as a whole, nobody thinks or cares about how their actions affects others, from chair w*nkers at the pyramid, to big groups who think the middle of a walkway is a good place for a chat, to inconsiderate parking, dropping litter, the list is infinite. More than ever we live in an ignorant society.

The parent and child spaces at supermarkets are so you have space to secure your child in its seat/transfer it to its pushchair with minimum lifting as this can cause prolapse in postpartum mums. The bays are also for the heavily pregnant who may struggle to walk the extra yards you and I take for granted

8 minutes ago, Blueberry said:

The parent and child spaces at supermarkets are so you have space to secure your child in its seat/transfer it to its pushchair with minimum lifting as this can cause prolapse in postpartum mums. The bays are also for the heavily pregnant who may struggle to walk the extra yards you and I take for granted

My ex would argue that you are a bit of a wimp needing a parking spot. Four of our kids were born at home and we never had a car. We still managed to do a weekly shop with all 7 of udy

30 minutes ago, Blueberry said:

The parent and child spaces at supermarkets are so you have space to secure your child in its seat/transfer it to its pushchair with minimum lifting as this can cause prolapse in postpartum mums. 

That is...an oddly specific reason. Isn't it ultimately more about not having to walk/carry/push a child through moving cars and shit, space for pushchairs etc.?

12 minutes ago, Rufus Gwertigan said:

My ex would argue that you are a bit of a wimp needing a parking spot. Four of our kids were born at home and we never had a car. We still managed to do a weekly shop with all 7 of udy

It’s not a case of being a wimp. Your ex was very fortunate. 

When Jack White came on at The Park I was sitting on a bench at the left-side bar, too knackered to move.

Couldn't see Jack but I could see everything around the stage.

Well, until this woman - and, soon after, the man - decided to sit ON the table, without even turning around, let alone asking if is was ok.

I was so bemused (and tired), I didn't say anything. I sat there listening to Jack, thinking these are the v worst of modern Glastonbury-goers.

And, then, a few minutes later, they both STOOD on the bench. (!!!)

Someone nearby along a put a crushed can of beer on the table, where the woman's arse had just been.

I departed, leaving a well-placed cup with leftover beer.

I like to think that they sat down, landing on one or both, but I'll never know.

C**ts.

glas-twats.jpg

I'm not convinced "baffle" is the appropriate word for most of these posts, as clearly lots of folks are a bit angry. 

One person's valid and impassioned cause is another's self indulgent whinge. 

Everyone just needs a nice cup of tea.