Things that baffle me

dulcificum

I'm baffled by the amount of moaning from people, truly blows me away. Am I the only one here that really is struggling to find a negative. Damn it was so nice to be home !!

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Calvin Klein said:

I did see various women pee on the land, which I had never seen before. Up on the hill near the glastonbury sign, close to the fence. An insignificant number compared to men, obviously. 

I saw a woman going to the toilet on the floor in the middle of the markets in front of The Hive stage. It was fairly dark so I don't know if she was pissing or curling one out, but either way it was pretty grim. It wasn't even busy so she was in full view of everyone.

I'm positive that more blokes piss on the land than women, but I don't recall ever seeing a man flopping it out and pissing on the floor in front of everyone in the middle of the markets.

We were sat by the helter skelter near The Park eating lunch. A woman came and sat about 6 feet away from us directly under the helter skelter and proceeded to piss whilst literally sitting on the floor with her legs in front of her.

She then went back over to her group of friends and was getting them to check whether it was all over her dress at the back. It must've been all over her legs and arse due to the way she did it!

I'm also not sure if she noticed the massive pier directly above her with loads of people stood looking over the edge.

41 minutes ago, Cheesey said:

I saw a woman going to the toilet on the floor in the middle of the markets in front of The Hive stage. It was fairly dark so I don't know if she was pissing or curling one out, but either way it was pretty grim. It wasn't even busy so she was in full view of everyone.

I'm positive that more blokes piss on the land than women, but I don't recall ever seeing a man flopping it out and pissing on the floor in front of everyone in the middle of the markets.

Some girl near me at Caribou just hunkered down and did a wee in broad daylight in the middle of the crowd.

9 hours ago, mrfunk said:

I'm baffled by the amount of moaning from people, truly blows me away. Am I the only one here that really is struggling to find a negative. Damn it was so nice to be home !!

Maybe you see it as moaning, but I think there is much value in identifying any elements of the festival that detracted from it, so we can make efforts to rectify them.

A quarter of a million people living harmoniously in challenging conditions is not an easy thing to achieve and the fact that every year the festival occurs without major incident and with the massive majority of people having a perfect experience is testament to the organisers and the punters.

So yes, let's look at the problems with littering, toilet shortages (no urinals in the camping areas is madness), flags, excessive drug use, people flow, communications (card payments failing due to reception), land pissers and so on.

The progress made with drainage shows what can be done with some planning and effort, so why not these other issues.

It's not enough for me to have a good time there - I want everyone to have a good time there. And I want the festival to keep going, to keep moving forward and taking us all with it.

14 hours ago, willgooneday said:

Whilst it would take a hammer through much of what makes Glastonbury what it is, maybe run two festivals on the site each year - one with the main stages and one with all the nightlife stuff but running 24/7. That way the cokeheads and druggies can go one weekend and the music lovers another weekend. 

Eurgh. Bit reductionist to assume that people who like the nightlife stuff or do coke aren't music lovers. The beauty of glastonbury is that you can watch overmono at iicon and then 8 hours later be watching kikagaku moyo do their final UK gig at west Holtz. Also there is pretty much some form of dance music running throughout the day at silver hayes or sangri la, so if that's all 'the druggies' are interested in, then surely they would be there rather than at the sets you deem suitable for proper music lovers?

Lots of my group do a lot of coke over the festival but never in sight of children, and don't talk through the set. The problem is that people get over excited at a festival and just don't realise their surroundings, I'm sure if you told most of them "look mate, nobody minds drugs but just don't do it front of kids" 95% of them would listen. Security and/or the rest of the crowd aren't doing this, so it becomes normalised. 

And, not you, but don't get me started on people being snobby about sugababes. For 'music lovers' in their late twenties/thirties, they were one of the most prolific girl bands of our childhood - who wouldn't want to be at their comeback gig!

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Calvin Klein said:

I did see various women pee on the land, which I had never seen before. Up on the hill near the glastonbury sign, close to the fence. An insignificant number compared to men, obviously. 

I saw several women squat down in the run up to, and during, Paul McCartney. Funny thing is they then refuse to stand in it and cause more issues by pushing to a new position (we were not far behind second barrier). I was really holding it in, and there are options like those gel pack things if you really don't want to leave the crowd.

10 hours ago, Calvin Klein said:

Things that baffle me: People littering so much. 

And yet there was SIGNIFICANTLY less litter this year than in any previous year I’ve been. Thankfully people are getting the message (and having no plastic bottles has helped too). 

There was a young girl pissing on the ground at Holly Humberstone... But what made it was was that I hadn't noticed, and she was right near me. Until my missus pointed it out, and I looked down, just as she was finishing, and I caught full view of 'everything' just as the girl looked straight at me... Yeh, thanks for pointing that out babe, now I look like a perv who likes to watch girls pee!!!

1 hour ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

And yet there was SIGNIFICANTLY less litter this year than in any previous year I’ve been. Thankfully people are getting the message (and having no plastic bottles has helped too). 

the litter pickers did an amazing job...I saw them clear up literally all the litter from infront of pyrammid and other

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

the litter pickers did an amazing job...I saw them clear up literally all the litter from infront of pyrammid and other

Agreed. There was a shit ton of litter on the Pyramid field after Paul McCartney on Saturday night. All gone by Sunday morning.

14 hours ago, Beerqueen said:

I got pissed off during Glass Animals.  Although I was reasonably close in (level with the sound stage) there were so many groups around me just having a full on conversation without being remotely interested in the music going on. I found it difficult to get involved with the set.

I’ve made my peace with chatters at festivals. A lot of the crowds are there to catch a bit of the set or a passing interest and chat through the songs they don’t know. It’s just a trait of festivals and casual music fans. Previously in the past I’ve just moved away from them but this year it was much more difficult due to the crowds. Wet Leg in particular had a lot of people there just to hear Chaise Longue and just chatted through the set until that song. And then proceeded to go mad and will probably tell all and sundry that Wet Leg was amazing, I was there etc.

You get chatters at gigs but it’s generally a mate and their friend. Festivals tends to be groups of mates so it’s much worse. Normally I can tune out one or two but groups is impossible.

Special place in hell though for the people who say they hate chatters and then proceed to chat themselves.

19 hours ago, rivalschools.price said:

Same for secret sets, if I don’t want to watch a band when they normally play at a festival then I don’t want to see them at a secret set.Yet people are looking to see who are playing a secret set then suddenly are going to watch a band that they wouldn’t even look up at when walking past if they were playing a normal set.

Yeah I do think that, bizarrely, some of the secret sets would be quieter if they were announced than if they were. Conversely, if they want to keep doing them, they could have some smaller acts play instead, safe in the knowledge they'd draw a big crowd regardless.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Keithy said:

I’ve made my peace with chatters at festivals. A lot of the crowds are there to catch a bit of the set or a passing interest and chat through the songs they don’t know. It’s just a trait of festivals and casual music fans. Previously in the past I’ve just moved away from them but this year it was much more difficult due to the crowds. Wet Leg in particular had a lot of people there just to hear Chaise Longue and just chatted through the set until that song. And then proceeded to go mad and will probably tell all and sundry that Wet Leg was amazing, I was there etc.

You get chatters at gigs but it’s generally a mate and their friend. Festivals tends to be groups of mates so it’s much worse. Normally I can tune out one or two but groups is impossible.

Special place in hell though for the people who say they hate chatters and then proceed to chat themselves.

Tbh I think I was also in one of those mid afternoon/early evening lows - you know when you start getting tired and are worried that you aren't going to last the day, but then end up getting second wind.  I think it was a bit of wrong time, wrong place, wrong band for me.  I rallied afterwards.

There's usually one set over the weekend when for one reason or another I don't feel it and Glass Animals was that one for me - nothing to do with them probably and probably not the chatterers - but that was the thing that was the thing that made me feel I wasn't enjoying it.