Things that baffle me

dulcificum

7 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

I agree with you wholeheartedly. People go for a carefree weekend/week away, they shouldn't have to be worried about crushes and the feeling of having to fight their way in.

What's the solution tho? Petition Emily Eavis to raise prices, not capacity?

Send a complaint to Glasto website?

I'm genuinely curious, not trying to sound sarcastic if I am. Just wondered because I've emailed them before years ago and got a typical "we try our best to please as many ppl as possible" reply...

There was talk some years ago of moving it to longleat. It died a death then there was talk of the spin off festival, effectively splitting it into two, then that seemed to die a death. Lord Bath also passed away so I guess that maybe is a -1 in probabiliry for the longleat idea. So I don’t know where we’re upto really but I’m sure they are thinking about it.

I think I’m in the majority in thinking that the plan to accommodate the increased attendance attendance came up short and is not really sustainable. Still a great show, and like many here, being a few glastonburies deep You can be wise to some of the potential flashpoints and know the site well enough to optimise your movements.but can Imagine that a lot of first timers might not be up for returning. Thats not a good long term strategy for any business.

8 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

There was talk some years ago of moving it to longleat. It died a death then there was talk of the spin off festival, effectively splitting it into two, then that seemed to die a death. Lord Bath also passed away so I guess that maybe is a -1 in probabiliry for the longleat idea. So I don’t know where we’re upto really but I’m sure they are thinking about it.

I think I’m in the majority in thinking that the plan to accommodate the increased attendance attendance came up short and is not really sustainable. Still a great show, and like many here, being a few glastonburies deep You can be wise to some of the potential flashpoints and know the site well enough to optimise your movements.but can Imagine that a lot of first timers might not be up for returning. Thats not a good long term strategy for any business.

I thought the talk of moving to Longleat was to do with the surrounding farmers charging so much for use of their land during the festival, kind of saying "we could move the festival to somewhere else and then you'd no income from it" 

5 minutes ago, verrymerry said:

I thought the talk of moving to Longleat was to do with the surrounding farmers charging so much for use of their land during the festival, kind of saying "we could move the festival to somewhere else and then you'd no income from it" 

Yeah that was one reason but Michael also talked about ’having more room’ up there.

21 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Whilst it would take a hammer through much of what makes Glastonbury what it is, maybe run two festivals on the site each year - one with the main stages and one with all the nightlife stuff but running 24/7. That way the cokeheads and druggies can go one weekend and the music lovers another weekend. 

11 minutes ago, willgooneday said:

Whilst it would take a hammer through much of what makes Glastonbury what it is, maybe run two festivals on the site each year - one with the main stages and one with all the nightlife stuff but running 24/7. That way the cokeheads and druggies can go one weekend and the music lovers another weekend. 

That was largely the point of the spin off. Something with more of a mainstream appeal on the bill + the south east corner mob getting involved.

I think that since the demise of V festival, there has been a gap in the market for a blend between the more mainstream side of glasto and a bit of nightlife and glastonbury has ended up absorbing that audience.

Not to tar all V festival goers with the same brush, I’m sure that many have graduated to glastonbury and bought into it, but I think the attitude of a few of that crowd is probably a bit at odds with that of the seasoned glastonbury goer.

I maintain that a couple of good wash outs in a row would probably also work to sort the wheat from the chaff.

Edited by mattiloy

The main thing that baffles me is people getting swayed on their choice of who to see based on them being ‘legends’ or a ‘secret set’ or my ultimate pet hate ‘I’m not a fan, I’m going to watch them just so I can say that I’ve seen them’.

if they are legends fair enough but why are you watching them based solely on that? My mate said that he wasn’t watching Fontaines with us because he wanted to see Diana Ross because ‘she’s a legend’. After a while he turned up to see Fontaines with us.
He said that he had a realisation when ‘Baby Love’ came on that he is not really a fan,has never consciously listened to that song, will never play it deliberately or add it to a playlist or anything. It’s not the type of music or artist he normally likes.

Then realised that he’d been swayed by the hype of the legends slot.

Same for secret sets, if I don’t want to watch a band when they normally play at a festival then I don’t want to see them at a secret set.Yet people are looking to see who are playing a secret set then suddenly are going to watch a band that they wouldn’t even look up at when walking past if they were playing a normal set.

As for ‘just to say I’ve seen them’, how does that conversation go?

’I saw Paul McCartney at the weekend’

’Wow! Are you a fan’

’not really’

’why did you watch him then?’

’just to say I’ve seen him’

’who are you going to say that to?’

’um,people like you’

’……. Oh’

Yup, baffling.

38 minutes ago, rivalschools.price said:

The main thing that baffles me is people getting swayed on their choice of who to see based on them being ‘legends’ or a ‘secret set’ or my ultimate pet hate ‘I’m not a fan, I’m going to watch them just so I can say that I’ve seen them’.

if they are legends fair enough but why are you watching them based solely on that? My mate said that he wasn’t watching Fontaines with us because he wanted to see Diana Ross because ‘she’s a legend’. After a while he turned up to see Fontaines with us.
He said that he had a realisation when ‘Baby Love’ came on that he is not really a fan,has never consciously listened to that song, will never play it deliberately or add it to a playlist or anything. It’s not the type of music or artist he normally likes.

Same for secret sets, if I don’t want to watch a band when they normally play at a festival then I don’t want to see them at a secret set.Yet people are looking to see who are playing a secret set then suddenly are going to watch a band that they wouldn’t even look up at when walking past if they were playing a normal set.

’Wow! Are you a fan’

’not really’

’um,people like you’

’……. Oh’

Yup, baffling.

Exactly this.   Didn’t go to Macca as his songs have no part in my life.  
pleased for everyone who loved him 

42 minutes ago, rivalschools.price said:

’Wow! Are you a fan’

’not really’

’um,people like you’

’……. Oh’

Yup, baffling.

On the flip side, sometimes that can lead to them becoming actual fans of the artist. I myself have done that. Gone to see an artist at a festival who I don't really know much of besides the famous songs, or even that I'm not a fan of, and ended up really getting into them afterwards.

I have certainly discovered artists by checking them out at festivals, but I'm not into box ticking at all.  The last time I went to a 'legend slot' was Paul Simon and that was a pisstake never to be repeated.  There hasn't been anyone who's played in the slot since I've had any connection with beyond one or maybe 2 songs, I'm not going to fight my way into the biggest crowd of the weekend to spend an hour listening to oldies that are before my time (and I'm 51) that I have no connection with just so I can have one dance to the song I know.

The weird thing is, I speak to people I know who go and they'll tell me that it was the highlight of their festival.  Different strokes, I guess.

On 6/26/2022 at 11:49 AM, yehbutnobut said:

Why you would have the Glade & Glade Dome in the arrangement as it is now. The sound bleed is truly terrible between the two. Shocking.

What’s with the toilets at the side of other stage… Slows everything down at an already over-crowded fest.

And when will they get the sound right at Arcadia, along with having food stalls blaring out their own tunes a stones throw away. 

Agreed. Found this so annoying about the new Glade changes.

3 hours ago, maelzoid said:

I escaped any mad crushes, but getting out of the pit after Fender took forever and did get a little tight. I think the gap between the toenail and the front needs widening.

All of the crushes described are preventable, but I think there needs to be some serious people flow analysis done here and a look at how theses things are affected by weather and ground conditions, big set finishing times (ie staggering them), the various appeal of different sectors etc.

Is it just me, or has Silver Hayes become a ghost town? Every time I went through it, it never seemed remotely busy. If it’s not appealing, people are going to hit up Arcadia and the SE corner putting more pressure on those areas.

The pyramid has such a strange barrier setup compared to any other festival mainstage, perhaps its time for that to be changed to a setup more like the Other Stage with a barrier down the middle splitting the crowd in half. It doesn’t help that lots of people enter in from the front especially on the John Peel side i think.

4 hours ago, willgooneday said:

Government really need to deal with it - and not the heavy handed way they plan to do so that's just gonna make it cooler, I'm not really anti-drug but cocaine never seems to make people better human beings. I'd honestly rather be around someone on ket than someone taking coke. 

I think people are also ignoring the obvious, if it's as easy for people to get in as is being anecdotally reported on here it's probably also been a lot easier for drugs to get in, not to mention they've had an extra 2 years to bury the goods on site etc - there probably was more drugs in general at the festival than any other normal year. 

Our group was shocked how bad security was compared to any other festival we’ve done. Hardly need to bury it, nor even hide it in your bag.

re flares, someone set off a flare gun in Bicep. I’ve never seen one before and was pretty amazed honestly.

Just now, Radiochicken said:

Other Stage doesn’t have this. You thinking of somewhere else?

Never got close enough to see so I guess that confused me. Regardless though a lot big festivals in the country have it like Reading and it seems to work well. They recently added turnstyles too so theres one way in then after sets an exit channel opens up dumping people behind those waiting at the turnstyles which works well

On 6/26/2022 at 11:48 AM, Punksnotdead said:

Self entitled twats sitting on people's shoulders, ruining the view for the people behind. Kids are allowed & people getting up to take a quick photo is OK, but people getting up for 3 or 4 songs at a time can fucking do one!

They’re great target practice though. 

The stage choices for some acts. Ridiculous to put TLC on West Holts when the likes of Mary J, Janet, Lauryn Hill have all received decent sized crowds on the Pyramid...and then you've got acts like Rufus Wainwright who looked like he only had a few hundred at one point. Disclaimer: I caught the end of his slot and really enjoyed!

Dont get me started on the Sugababes fiasco.

6 hours ago, steviewevie said:

Does the place not need separate women's toilets? Must be fuckin grim to have to sit on those things every time.

I thought there was a big thing about female urinals throughout the festival? I noticed one on the last night. And that was at the stone circle. 

5 hours ago, Aeleanor said:

I usually am not one to notice these things but it was everywhere. Was also, like many others, wondering if some of the bad attitudes were a result of an increase in drug use.

A group of lads on the opposite side of a pub bench, that my child was sat on, shoving spoons of coke up their single nostrils. Thankfully he was back turned to them so I don’t have to explain. 

22 hours ago, Riggins said:

Sorry but this is massive nonsense. I got there as Just Mustard were doing their last song and managed to get barrier for George Ezra and second row for Sports Team. If you really want to see a band not hard to get there 30 mins before. Your own fault on this one buddy.

Yeah I got there about 15 minutes before Sports Team and was able to get right down the front, I don't know when it was impossible to get in because of George Ezra fans.

5 hours ago, Dave_c said:

My tent neighbours in worthy view were taking mushrooms at midday on Saturday, so it's not just a coke thing

It’s not the same. Starting a trip at midday is or in a morning is not unusual if you want to trip during the day. Coke at 8am, or, frankly, any time of day, is grim. 

5 hours ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Who are people like me? You don't know a single thing about me. Another poster ready to make wild assumptions and show that wonderful Glasto tolerance.

If you're so triggered about a word, a word you've clearly projected to have a negative connotation, a word that you've singled out and isolated from my overall point of blocking ppl during sets with their phones, I hope you can find some peace and get that chip off your shoulder.

To be so offended by three letters taken wildly out of context.

Good grief.

*SPEW*

Upvote

7 hours ago, Larraht said:

Also chatters. I don't mind a quick natter etc but again in the thick of a crowd and groups just talking the whole way through and not even watching...just move out!

I got pissed off during Glass Animals.  Although I was reasonably close in (level with the sound stage) there were so many groups around me just having a full on conversation without being remotely interested in the music going on. I found it difficult to get involved with the set.

15 hours ago, Lushroom said:

Ah yes, the famous grosser female piss.

It's disgusting whoever does it, but if you're going to say one is worse than the other, blokes have the equipment to piss in a bottle.

Didn't see any women peeing on the land, just men.

I did see various women pee on the land, which I had never seen before. Up on the hill near the glastonbury sign, close to the fence. An insignificant number compared to men, obviously.