Things that baffle me

dulcificum

The coke thing is a huge, massive countrywide problem at this point so I'm not surprised that it's usurped other drug choices at Glasto. It's an entirely different conversation probably not for this thread but there's going to be huge long-tail impacts from it being normalised on such a wide level now.

2 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

The coke thing is a huge, massive countrywide problem at this point so I'm not surprised that it's usurped other drug choices at Glasto. It's an entirely different conversation probably not for this thread but there's going to be huge long-tail impacts from it being normalised on such a wide level now.

Agree entirely and my mates are really prolific coke users. I just noticed it so much more blatantly this year compared to 2019 (including my mates in that as well).

1 minute ago, jannybruck said:

Government really need to deal with it - and not the heavy handed way they plan to do so that's just gonna make it cooler, I'm not really anti-drug but cocaine never seems to make people better human beings. I'd honestly rather be around someone on ket than someone taking coke. 

I think people are also ignoring the obvious, if it's as easy for people to get in as is being anecdotally reported on here it's probably also been a lot easier for drugs to get in, not to mention they've had an extra 2 years to bury the goods on site etc - there probably was more drugs in general at the festival than any other normal year. 

Do whatever you want I don't care, I'm no saint myself but the younger people around my age doing coke just get VERY aggressive - the amount who felt entitled to push through the entire crowd and got elbows out just to force their way through to a more rammed areas and got aggressive when people couldn't let them through was poor. That's more down to the effect of coke on egotistical young lads though, as others have mentioned - other things are much more relaxed 

28 minutes ago, MrBarry465 said:

Find it weird that people do cocaine at festivals, when significantly more fun stuff to do .... i.e. LSD E and Mushrooms...

Absolutely. We saw people doing coke in the Gate A queue - now I'm no prude but coke at 8am in the boiling heat whilst you wait for 4 hours does not exactly seem much fun? 

Edited by Larraht

3 minutes ago, Larraht said:

Absolutely. We saw people doing coke in the Gate A queue - now I'm no prude but coke at 8am in the boiling heat whilst you wait for 4 hours does not exactly seem much fun? 

My tent neighbours in worthy view were taking mushrooms at midday on Saturday, so it's not just a coke thing

Surrounded by coke-heads during Macca. Saw so much of the stuff, it was like Scarface. They were all awful, shouting rather than singing, talking constantly very loudly, continually crashing into me because they couldn’t stand still and had no sense of others personal space, and the very worst, glaring at you and asking ‘are you up for it, yeah?’ If they thought you looked like you weren’t enjoying it as much as they were. They certainly tarnished my enjoyment of Macca.

40 minutes ago, Haj88 said:

When folk go to a 200’000 person event and act surprised when it’s busy

Bit of a reductionist take on the discussions in the other thread, but sure.

Raising legitimate concerns about poor logistics and planning isn’t naivety or something to be scoffed at.

1 minute ago, jparx said:

Bit of a reductionist take on the discussions in the other thread, but sure.

Raising legitimate concerns about poor logistics and planning isn’t naivety or something to be scoffed at.

It's fine, until someone literally dies it's just people whinging. /s

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Nobby's Old Boots said:

I hope I never ever come into contact wirh you at a festival.

"I let a woman in front of me film"

"I LET"

Yuck

Who are people like me? You don't know a single thing about me. Another poster ready to make wild assumptions and show that wonderful Glasto tolerance.

If you're so triggered about a word, a word you've clearly projected to have a negative connotation, a word that you've singled out and isolated from my overall point of blocking ppl during sets with their phones, I hope you can find some peace and get that chip off your shoulder.

To be so offended by three letters taken wildly out of context.

Good grief.

*SPEW*

Edited by MEGATRONICMEATWAGON

4 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

It's fine, until someone literally dies it's just people whinging. /s

Yeah. And it’s all coming from a place of love. We all love the festival and the last thing we want is some disaster there that costs a life and damages the viability of the festival. Other events have these issues sorted out, and at least in my time of going it’s actually got worse not better, despite theoretically not selling that many more tickets.

Edited by jparx

1 minute ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Who are people like me? You don't know a single thing about me. Another poster ready to make wild assumptions and show that wonderful Glasto tolerance.

If you're so triggered about a word, a word you've clearly projected to have a negative connotation, a word that you've singled out and isolated from my overall point of blocking ppl during sets with their phones, I hope you can find some peace and get that chip off your shoulder.

To be so offended by three letters taken wildly out of context.

Good grief.

Blimey.

2 minutes ago, Nobby's Old Boots said:

And what does the old saying say if someone dumps an additional 10k cars in front of you?

Another quotable but pointless and inapplicable phrase?

It's pretty predictable which sets are going to be ridiculously busy and therefore they're incredibly easy to avoid if you don't fancy getting stuck in a throng.

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

It's pretty predictable which sets are going to be ridiculously busy and therefore they're incredibly easy to avoid if you don't fancy getting stuck in a throng.

Don't disagree, even if I'm pretty bad at navigating the site, but this year it was definitely busier. A lot of people said onsite and plenty agree on here. 

I think as others have suggested, the Thursday in particular needs a rethink and a bit more traffic management. Things that can be resolved, but only if there's acceptance of a problem and not just burying the head in the sand & allowing it to get worse. 

We literally had a situation last year where festivalgoers that are exactly like us died because the event crammed too many people in one place and fucked the logistics on site.

Anyone going to a festival this year, particularly one that should have its shit together like Glastonbury, and felt worried about their safety should never be shamed about posting about it, complaining online, vocalising it. This whole "well it's a busy event maybe you're just not cut out for it/maybe avoid the busy acts lol" posturing bullshit needs to be kicked into the bin.

Edited by jannybruck
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Larraht said:

Maybe I'm getting old but I got a bit fed up of people being deep into a crowd and then trying to force their way out half way through the set. Presumably this is to head to somewhere else or that it just wasn't their thing but personally if either of these issues were facing me I would perhaps hang out towards the back of a set rather than squeezing myself in the middle and then disrupting everyone trying to get out.

Also chatters. I don't mind a quick natter etc but again in the thick of a crowd and groups just talking the whole way through and not even watching...just move out!

Was at the back for Macca because I had the kids and people were talking so much around us I couldn’t hear him at all when he was talking to the crowd, I could move either because it was so busy 

10 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

We literally had a situation last year where festivalgoers that are exactly like us died because the event crammed too many people in one place and fucked the logistics on site.

Anyone going to a festival this year, particularly one that should have its shit together like Glastonbury, and felt worried about their safety should never be shamed about posting about it, complaining online, vocalising it. This whole "well it's a busy event maybe you're just not cut out for it/maybe avoid the busy acts lol" posturing bullshit needs to be kicked into the bin.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. People go for a carefree weekend/week away, they shouldn't have to be worried about crushes and the feeling of having to fight their way in.

What's the solution tho? Petition Emily Eavis to raise prices, not capacity?

Send a complaint to Glasto website?

I'm genuinely curious, not trying to sound sarcastic if I am. Just wondered because I've emailed them before years ago and got a typical "we try our best to please as many ppl as possible" reply...

6 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

I agree with you wholeheartedly. People go for a carefree weekend/week away, they shouldn't have to be worried about crushes and the feeling of having to fight their way in.

I'm genuinely curious, not trying to sound sarcastic if I am. Just wondered because I've emailed them before years ago and got a typical "we try our best to please as many ppl as possible" reply...

Just continue to kick up a fuss about it. Post about it in the forums you're in, email or tag relevant journalists if you're talking about it, don't let the conversation get forgotten about by the time tickets come around next time.

These are real, serious, basic issues that need to be addressed and regardless of Glastonbury's history, standing and emotional weight amongst a lot of people they are still a huge multimillion pound organisation that should be better than this in terms of crowd management. People shouldn't be paying hundreds and hundreds of pounds to go to an event and be worried that they might not even come out alive at the end of it.

I escaped any mad crushes, but getting out of the pit after Fender took forever and did get a little tight. I think the gap between the toenail and the front needs widening.

All of the crushes described are preventable, but I think there needs to be some serious people flow analysis done here and a look at how theses things are affected by weather and ground conditions, big set finishing times (ie staggering them), the various appeal of different sectors etc.

Is it just me, or has Silver Hayes become a ghost town? Every time I went through it, it never seemed remotely busy. If it’s not appealing, people are going to hit up Arcadia and the SE corner putting more pressure on those areas.

21 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Social media outcry. I don't mean here but there's nothing wrong with also talking about it here.

Primavera only got remotely better on day two onwards because everyone in their Instagram comments were slamming them for being incompetent fuck-ups; for context, they had about 3 working taps (not stations, taps) for something like 70k people on day one, at a festival in Spain. By day two there were several stalls handing out free water. Even they didn't do the whole job but it was waaaaay better day two onwards.

If not enough people are complaining about the crowds at Glasto on their social media then maybe right now isn't enough of an issue for them to do anything about, though it doesn't make it not an issue. People can and will recognise these problems early and you already have people planning on not attempting to go next year because of them. You remove enough of those people from the equation and you end up with more people who are ignorant to it wilfully or otherwise and that's where it gets bad. More people that are likely to contribute to a crush without caring because "it's just busy lol" are dangerous. 

Just my two cents.