Crowd control issues

dulcificum

Tbh size of crowds aside, everyone I've encountered has been sound. To the point that consistently the crowds for sets have been popping - Confidence Man, Self Esteem, Sugababes, Avalanches - all gone off massively more than I'd have expected. Everyone seems up for it this year. 

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

I'd disagree. I think if you take out the international acts, there's a dominance of London origin or London based acts. Pretty much all grime/UK rap comes out of London for example. 

The British acts with the biggest slots this year are: Sam Fender, Noel G, Foals, Macca, Years and Years, Elbow, Robert Plant and AK, Pet Shop Boys. 

2 of them are from London. Doesn't seem like dominance to me. 

Grime originated in London so no suprise lots of the acts are from there. It's not like grime has taken over the festival. 

23 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Definitely not the case this weekend, none of the Pyramid or Other headliners and subs are from London 

I meant the festival as a whole though. As I said, if you take out international bands...

That's also an incredibly small sample size.

Edited by MEGATRONICMEATWAGON

11 minutes ago, CRW5252 said:

The British acts with the biggest slots this year are: Sam Fender, Noel G, Foals, Macca, Years and Years, Elbow, Robert Plant and AK, Pet Shop Boys. 

2 of them are from London. Doesn't seem like dominance to me. 

Grime originated in London so no suprise lots of the acts are from there. It's not like grime has taken over the festival. 

Which cities dominate then in your estimation?

13 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

Tbh size of crowds aside, everyone I've encountered has been sound. To the point that consistently the crowds for sets have been popping - Confidence Man, Self Esteem, Sugababes, Avalanches - all gone off massively more than I'd have expected. Everyone seems up for it this year. 

Agree. There have been obvious issues that will need addressing (if the capacity continues to increase then they need another main stage and the two late night spots need to be on opposite sides of the site to force ppl to make a choice and stick to it) but every person I’ve interacted with has been brilliant. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Which cities dominate then in your estimation?

I don't think any city dominates. London is the biggest city in the country by a landslide (population wise) so not a surprise if there are more acts from there at the festival. I don't think it is any huge split though. Liverpool and Manchester have, undoubtedly, bigger mainstream influence in the rock/indie genre. 

Lets be real, bands like the Courteeners would be half as popular if they were from down south. Average at best and famous off the hype of being from Manchester (a hugely influential city famous for its music scene).

1 minute ago, CRW5252 said:

I don't think any city dominates. London is the biggest city in the country by a landslide (population wise) so not a surprise if there are more acts from there at the festival. I don't think it is any huge split though. Liverpool and Manchester have, undoubtedly, bigger mainstream influence in the rock/indie genre. 

Lets be real, bands like the Courteeners would be half as popular if they were from down south. Average at best and famous off the hype of being from Manchester (a hugely influential city famous for its music scene).

That is true about northern bands, I'll give you that. Manchester is also a huge music contributer to the UK. But as you say, London is the biggest and it wouldn't surprise me that there's a dominance of bands/artists/DJs from that area - as well as a dominance of people from London being at the festival. That's all I'm saying.

7 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

That is true about northern bands, I'll give you that. Manchester is also a huge music contributer to the UK. But as you say, London is the biggest and it wouldn't surprise me that there's a dominance of bands/artists/DJs from that area - as well as a dominance of people from London being at the festival. That's all I'm saying.

Perhaps, but I think it is more to do with the fact London has such a large population (rather than being from London gives you an advantage in the music scene). 

I would argue that Manchester and Liverpool have a larger influence on the UK music scene than London does, relative to the size of the city. I don't that is a negative thing. In fact, it is a credit to the cities and one of the things that makes them great places. Love Liverpool as a place (in particular). 

I think people are possibly underestimating the loss of knowledge factor for the festivals. The last full festival season was 2019 and a lot of security guards will have took different work when Covid hit - supermarkets and rail stuff - can't imagine many of the older much more experienced staff would be itching to go back to a job that involves spending insane amounts of time away from their families after being around them for two years for the same/a little bit more pay than the job they did during Covid.

Edited by willgooneday

28 minutes ago, CRW5252 said:

Perhaps, but I think it is more to do with the fact London has such a large population (rather than being from London gives you an advantage in the music scene). 

I would argue that Manchester and Liverpool have a larger influence on the UK music scene than London does, relative to the size of the city. I don't that is a negative thing. In fact, it is a credit to the cities and one of the things that makes them great places. Love Liverpool as a place (in particular). 

Perhaps you're right but from the last time I went, it felt like it was incredibly London-centric - and I'm including all the late night, SE Corner, audience/Djs in that.

I'm probably just being an old man and miss the days when there were a lot of smaller venues in that area and it didn't feel so mainstream. 

I always associate London = mainstream.

Interesting to see some veterans saying its the worst they ever seen it. But is it really? I mean 2000 and a couple before that it was hard to actually walk comfortably for more than 10ft anywhere onsite. Even the surrounding bordering car parks would be rammo. Plus lots of crowd jams all over the place. 

2 minutes ago, Cooter said:

Interesting to see some veterans saying its the worst they ever seen it. But is it really? I mean 2000 and a couple before that it was hard to actually walk comfortably for more than 10ft anywhere onsite. Even the surrounding bordering car parks would be rammo. Plus lots of crowd jams all over the place. 

Sure, but I think it's important to separate pre-fence with post-fence. It's like pre-seating and post-seating after the Hillsborough shambles.

2 minutes ago, Cooter said:

This is first time I’ve posted here in years but this thread had me wondering same. Is it as crazy as 2000? Bloody hell my missus was 6 months pregnant then with our oldest. He’s done 2 Glastonbury’s as a kid, loads of Beautiful Days and no doubt getting shitfaced (again) at Boomtown soon 😂

Hope everyone ok though. Thinking I might return next year for my 10th Glasto in 33 years. 2010 was my last. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

What's so dangerous? Just people trying to get into the field?

Stay safe!

Hundreds & hundreds of people trying to go both directions with space for a single file line.

Low light was a very old lady who was clearly in distress fall out of her wheel chair and bunch of us trying in vain to tell an obviously disinterested crowd to stop and slow down.

It did calm down for the 2nd half of the gig but no one around us enjoyed the first hour at all.

Edited by Major_Tom108

1 minute ago, Major_Tom108 said:

Hundreds & hundreds of people trying to go both directions with space for a single file line.

Low light was a very old lady who was clearly in distress fall out of her wheel chair and bunch of us trying in vain to tell an obviously disinterested crowd to stop and slow down.

Shit, that sounds pretty awful. Hope she got back up and is now alright. 

OK so firstly, everyone here at the festival is really lovely. I don't think any of the issues are caused by bad or obnoxious behaviour.

There is a behavioural difference, but its subtle, and nobody in the thread seems to have mentioned it yet.

Firstly, there is actually less pushing than ever before. People are respecting each others personal space, I've never seen so few people pushing through crowds. But this is a problem. The front areas of stages are unexpectedly sparse, as no one pushes forward anymore. Everyone is happy to stay at the back, but actually this is where the crowding is now. This prevents people from accessing the field, as less people are needed to fill it up. This explains all the stories of nice crowds at the front, but crushes towards the back (Wet Leg, Arcadia, etc.)

Secondly, in some ways it's a ghost town Glastonbury. I've never seen many areas of the festival so dead. It seems to me there is a larger than ever amount of group think going on. Everyone wants to see the exact same acts. If you avoid the must see acts, you largely find a pleasant and sedate Glastonbury.

After a few years of Covid, acts were not touring, and festivals were not on. People stopped discovering music, and as a result, everyone ended up liking the same things while we were all stuck at home. This will correct eventually, but at the moment, we all like the same things. After a few more years of gigs and festivals, people are likely to have more diverse taste again.

If you are reading this, I implore you to explore the festival, and go see some acts you have never heard of on Sunday. You're pretty much going to have a private show wherever you go. It's great. Just don't follow the crowd, and you won't find a crowd.

• Upvote 13