Crowd control issues

dulcificum

7 hours ago, august1 said:

has anyone ever seen a steward in the pyramid field, thats not behind a barrier?

They definitely need some on the area by the toilets, access point to the markets between acts to help flow.

I think the festival gets away with crowd issues due to being in a field and break out relief points being bushes/trees and not concrete and steel in a urban setting.

I'm not sure getting away with it is good enough tbh

Funnily enough I did see some by the toilets, but only post-Macca. They were pointing some girls in the direction of the loos "they're just right there, under the sign" and I think trying to dissuade guys from pissing on the hedge literally opposite the urinals..

Didn't seem to be about crowd control so much as the "don't see on the land" rule.

6 minutes ago, WestCountryGirl said:

Funnily enough I did see some by the toilets, but only post-Macca. They were pointing some girls in the direction of the loos "they're just right there, under the sign" and I think trying to dissuade guys from pissing on the hedge literally opposite the urinals..

Didn't seem to be about crowd control so much as the "don't see on the land" rule.

They were there all set, something had happened quite early on I think, I didn't really ever figure out what but there was loads of festival security and stewards doing something. I thought it was something medical but I don't recall ever seeing medical staff arrive.

1 hour ago, Alvoram said:

We were stuck in that crust, there really wasn't an easy way in and we don't like to push past people generally so we just stayed there.... not too far from the cider bus urinals, I'd say halfway between them and the tower... There really wasn't room to move or dance and yet people were coming through literally every 10 seconds to go get food, drinks or use the toilet. If you think it was frustrating getting through, you should have felt what it was like standing there and trying to watch the show with nowhere else to move to, whilst people were pushing through, half of them on trips that would not have been necessary with some planning. It was pretty bad. Maybe that's why people were being unhelpful. 

Obviously that's going to happen though, we were near the toilets, the cider bus, access to food and one of the better exits to the field. I understood this, and so was trying to step / lean back to let people go through. Not everyone was though, people were getting fed up of it by 30 minutes in. The group behind me I think got fed up with me stepping back slightly as they moved further forward making it even harder. This was the only time I got slightly annoyed, because after they'd closed that space a large group of around 20 pushed their way through still, and I literally had nowhere to move out of their way to, so had to lean back into the group now closer behind me. None of us said anything, but that group behind never spoke to us for the whole evening, and the vibe wasn't great. So I think I pissed them off by trying to be helpful. 😕

Thankfully, it seemed a lot of folks in the crust had stayed close to the edge to get an early exit, so just over half way in it got a lot easier as people left... I guess we can thank Macca for the boring first half...

Sounds like we were stood quite close although I was in the main bit and you were on the edge.

I know it will never happen but if there was a steward on a step ladder telling people 'there's room in the middle' as acts are changing over it would be helpful.

Like you say I think most people who were on the edge were there primarily for a quick getaway at the end of the gig but then got annoyed because they were right in the firing line for people going to the toilet, bar, food etc during it.

16 hours ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

Hi

maybe I’m being a wee bit dim here.... but I can’t for the life of me comprehend how a single one of your points (some of which are wildly inaccurate or exaggerated) could possibly be connected to my original post? Were you perhaps trying to respond to somebody else?

This is the part in your original post talking about sanitisation of the festival:

"Sanitise the festival to suit your agenda if you like, but be careful what you demand."

All of the things I have said are truths tho. Apologies if it sounded too direct. I actually agree with bit about the fuckwits and the idiots who stand around chatting in the middle of huge thoroughfares and don't move to the side, or people who think they can claim their ground by putting a blanket down and getting uppity when others get close during busy acts.

I could add banning of flares to the list as well tho - that one I'm still undecided on, personally, as it still represents a danger hazard... they just look so damn good during evening sets.

The others are 100% all true...

There is a Co-op on site. 

There is more pop every year. 

There are showers and they were only introduced in the last decade or so. 

Glamping options have appeared over the last decade or so. 

People do talk on the food thread about all the middle and upper-middle class crap they can't wait to eat at the festival; cheese, foccacia, olives, bio-organic cereal handmade by Nepalese monks... 

Haha. Okay that last one was a joke and I bet if it existed they'd be pictures of it in the Food thread in a heartbeat. All the rest are true and represent a festival that is no longer "get down and muck in", and more, "let's all spend a sw*nky weekend in the country"... 

NB - I would add that all the extra luxury and comfort the festival adds, certainly doesn't help with decreasing its appeal. If anything it makes it easy for absolute flakes to enjoy the festival while not foregoing too much pampering.

If we could go back to the days of 5 quid sausage baguettes and a pile of greasy noodles, with people walking around stinking like filth for 5 days, with only a wetwipe in the morning as a freshen up, I'd take it.

Yep, Glastonbury need to keep a certain clientele on board, they need the money to run it.

Looking through tiktok the amount of people who seemingly got in is just amazing. People just walking in, quite literally.

Some security/stewards posting video's outside the wall saying they can hear russling in the bushes and aren't going to trying to take down any grown men. These stewards/security are just young girls ffs.

Something obviously went massively wrong with the security outside the wall this year. 

Just now, DeanoL said:

Greenpeace showers were there in 2003 at my first one so that one isn't true at least.

Glamping too. And the nice food. First was 2004 and some of the food was fantastic. 

Very much a "not like in my day" buzz about some of these postings.

Its called progress

Have seen videos of people seemingly getting in very easily. There's definitely some security that need to lose their jobs.

I personally wouldn't complain if there was a wristband check at SE corner entrance or just random areas where you have to hold your hand up with it on. Would've caught out quite a few if they did that

8 minutes ago, a6l6e6x said:

Have seen videos of people seemingly getting in very easily. There's definitely some security that need to lose their jobs.

I personally wouldn't complain if there was a wristband check at SE corner entrance or just random areas where you have to hold your hand up with it on. Would've caught out quite a few if they did that

any links to said videos?

So we had a bit of a sneak in? So did the ones who snuck in just take coaches and wandered the perimeter? Or walked through the town and nobody says a word til you get close to the fest? What day did it happen.

Sounds like better security and better ticket/wristband tech needs to get implemented.

It the uk gov can put rfid tech into bank notes then glasto can ask See to do the same for tickets. Have security scan your ticket, check id and put the wristband on. Done and done. And arent there people on the watch towers?

Edited by Suprefan

59 minutes ago, Dennis22 said:

Yep, Glastonbury need to keep a certain clientele on board, they need the money to run it.

Looking through tiktok the amount of people who seemingly got in is just amazing. People just walking in, quite literally.

Some security/stewards posting video's outside the wall saying they can hear russling in the bushes and aren't going to trying to take down any grown men. These stewards/security are just young girls ffs.

Something obviously went massively wrong with the security outside the wall this year. 

Stewards aren't allowed to take down grown men anyway. If trained security are posting those videos then they ought to lose their jobs outright - if you can see their company logo pass the videos on to both the company and Glastonbury - neither will be impressed with that. The issue is much less not stopping people going through the gate (there's a risk reward judgement on those calls as to whether to deal with it yourself/get colleagues further inside involved - yes you should always attempt to stop them but if groups of grown men are charging past you there's only so much you can do) but making thousands of people on social media aware that they're a gate you can just walk through is unbelievably stupid and dangerous. 

Edited by willgooneday

35 minutes ago, a6l6e6x said:

How people got in?

1 hour ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

People do talk on the food thread about all the middle and upper-middle class crap they can't wait to eat at the festival; cheese, foccacia, olives, bio-organic cereal handmade by Nepalese monks... 

Lmao at the thought that cheese is an upper-middle class food 🤣

23 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

It the uk gov can put rfid tech into bank notes then glasto can ask See to do the same for tickets. Have security scan your ticket, check id and put the wristband on. Done and done. And arent there people on the watch towers?

RFID bank notes

UK government does not put RFID in banknotes.

The idea of scanning tickets using RFID, or barcodes, sounds so simple but is a huge undertaking.

There are 4 ped gates which deal with huge volumes at peak times, and numerous additional entry points. These would all need to link to a central database to implement any sensible system. The infrastructure to do this is huge, and is not really feasible on a large rural site for 1 week every year.

Wristbands only being checked on entry/departure means they don't serve much of a purpose either. Plus the preponderance of all different sorts of wristbands for different areas makes it impossible to spot anything at a distance.

I guess if you went totally cashless then you'd essentially create wristband checks everytime you bought food or drink. But potentially create other problems.

I don't see any fix for it that isn't turning Glastonbury into something it isn't (an arena festival). The only option is to control the perimeter like it's a military base, as once people pass through that they're essentially undetectable.

3 hours ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

This is the part in your original post talking about sanitisation of the festival:

"Sanitise the festival to suit your agenda if you like, but be careful what you demand."

All of the things I have said are truths tho. Apologies if it sounded too direct. I actually agree with bit about the fuckwits and the idiots who stand around chatting in the middle of huge thoroughfares and don't move to the side, or people who think they can claim their ground by putting a blanket down and getting uppity when others get close during busy acts.

I could add banning of flares to the list as well tho - that one I'm still undecided on, personally, as it still represents a danger hazard... they just look so damn good during evening sets.

The others are 100% all true...

There is a Co-op on site. 

There is more pop every year. 

There are showers and they were only introduced in the last decade or so. 

Glamping options have appeared over the last decade or so. 

Haha. Okay that last one was a joke and I bet if it existed they'd be pictures of it in the Food thread in a heartbeat. All the rest are true and represent a festival that is no longer "get down and muck in", and more, "let's all spend a sw*nky weekend in the country"... 

NB - I would add that all the extra luxury and comfort the festival adds, certainly doesn't help with decreasing its appeal. If anything it makes it easy for absolute flakes to enjoy the festival while not foregoing too much pampering.

If we could go back to the days of 5 quid sausage baguettes and a pile of greasy noodles, with people walking around stinking like filth for 5 days, with only a wetwipe in the morning as a freshen up, I'd take it.

Weren't there also years when the festival looked like it may not continue as they couldn't sell out before gates opened? 

Be careful what you wish for... 

If you really do miss this kind of thing the free party scene is beginning to explode again (Not that I'd know anything about that 😉 )

People complaining about the existence of showers as something bad in probably the worse festival in ratio people-showers. There are literally less than 15 showers in Kidz Field (which are the "official ones) for 210.000 people.

If you don't want to have a shower is ok, but in a festival with such a big amount of kids and people from many ages I think showers are more than neccesary. And I hope it will be more. It's called evolution.

19 minutes ago, Ohinever said:

I'm ultra local to the fest, and have been told this morning thousands of 15,16 year olds getting in as under 13.

Expect that to be tightened up next time. 

I assumed the rules were relaxed this year to allow for those whose kids were u12 when they bought the ticket in 2019, but were now "too old" to get in. Would make sense for that to then be tightened up for the next non-Covid-delayed festival