Crowd control issues

dulcificum

21 hours ago, jannybruck said:

But this still doesn't excuse the fact that there's still too many people and the organisation/audience spread/logistics isn't good enough to compensate.

Too many people on site is bad for everyone because it increases the risk for everyone – if something happened at eg Calvin or George Ezra would you be like "well, they deserved it because he's popular and shit and they should have avoided it"? No, thought not.

i happened upon the crowd going in to george ezra, was massive, then stupidly got caught in same huge numbers heading-away from ezra to see DiRo. was avoidable with a bit of foward-thinking.

2 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Thursday is an issue. The Glade / Train track junction sas a shambles

My only issue with the crowd were the phones recording acts. Thst doesnt go on at Glastonbury normally.

Only the second festival in the last five years. The churn of people who used to go being replaced by newbies who don’t quite ‘get it’ must be a lot higher than the normal influx of new attendees year-on-year. Hopefully it’ll settle down over the next few years before the next fallow. 

Just to echo what lots of people have said, the increased crowd capacity was very very evident and made me completely change my festival and what I was doing. This was particularly the case in the evening. Its not just that you couldn't do arcadia, but then you'd give SE corner a go and that was rammed. I'd go to Rabbit Hole or Glade and they're also all rammed simultaneously. Even Silver Hayes was fucked on the Sunday and that had been my refuge all weekend.

Same with headliners. Ok, so Macca has one of the biggest crowds ever that was genuinely dangerous at the back of the field, but in previous years that would mean everywhere else is dead. But, I go to Jamie T and it's rammed there was well. You think that must mean Megan Thee Stallion has a small crowd, but mates said that was busy too...

Look, Glastonbury is amazing and the greatest place on earth. I also appreciate they need the money from the tickets. But that many people, that many crushes and crowds does certainly take the shine off it. The organising team have always listened and learnt from their mistakes in my experience. I'm hopefully that ticket capacity is slightly reduced next year and that creates a better festival experience for everyone. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, foolee said:

Didn’t go to Glastonbury this year but since covid I’ve been to a lot of gigs and festivals and I feel it’s more of a reflection of post covid and people forgetting/not knowing how to act around people as I swear there seems to be more rude and generally disrespectful people around atm. Not sure what anyone else’s thoughts on this are? 

I found the crowd were absolutely great to be honest. The vast vast majority were helping each other where they can and there was actually less pushing to the front then I remember at previous Glastonbury's (i think because the crowds were so dense people knew they weren't getting anywhere close). I really just think there were far more people on site and it was too many for it to be comfortable. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Only the second festival in the last five years. The churn of people who used to go being replaced by newbies who don’t quite ‘get it’ must be a lot higher than the normal influx of new attendees year-on-year. Hopefully it’ll settle down over the next few years before the next fallow. 

I think it's more that technology has meant you can record for 5 days on your phone.

Re Crowd Size. McCartney had a massive crowd, but we had a lot of room around us.

Here’s my observations; first of all, I had a great festival and it went too damn quick. But I did recognise some of the issues mentioned here. 

Toilets - seemed to be fewer toilets around then I remember, certainly fewer and smaller urinals. I had to do the ultimate cardinal sin on Saturday night and piss in a bush because I walked through several fields without even sight of a toilet and I was going to wet my drawers otherwise...

Bins - likewise, seemed fewer bins around, had to hike a fair way with handfuls of rubbish to deposit quite a few times. That said, people did seem to be being quite tidy and I didn’t see total devastation anywhere other than at the main stage fields. 

Crowds - everywhere was very busy, noticeably more so than in previous years. I’m not convinced that they oversold or that thousands of people snuck in though, just a combo of lovely weather bringing everybody out all day and night and bad scheduling sending too many people to places.

Security - a lot fewer security around, just lots of volunteer stewards, so everything often felt a lot more chaotic than other years when there’s been proper marshalling. 

Cokeheads - lots of people obviously coked up at all times of the day. I’ve nothing against this personally, but it’s never been as noticeable before imo. 

Chair and blanket knobs - i couldn’t believe the amount of people who thought it was a good idea to set up chair and blanket camps at the front of Pyramid for McCartney. I get what they’re trying to do, stake out a good spot for the show, but they couldn’t have really expected not to have thousands of pissed up people thronging all over them, could they? I saw some really angry middle-aged people getting the right jump throughout that set. Clearly, this was the first festival most of them had ever been to, they obviously had no idea what the headline crowds are like. 

Guy ropes - so many massive tents with dozens of guy ropes holding them upright in Cockmill, and so many people getting upset about them getting uprooted by people tripping over them. 

Top of Cockmill Lane shortcut to Gate B - this was supposedly closed off throughout the festival unlike in previous years but the stewards made no real attempt that I saw to stop people using it until Sunday, and when I asked why the change they said that there was too much lorry movement that day so it had to be strictly closed that day. This route is a great way in to the top, flat part of family camping. I used it several times on Wednesday despite the signs and it’d be good if a “safe” path could be made to allow people to go in and out that way in future, much easier route and would help with crowds on Muddy Lane  

None of this put a damper on my week though. I think this was my 15th Glastonbury, my 7th taking kids, and I’ve learnt over the years to just go with the flow. We spent most of our time in the Theatre, Circus, Acoustic, Green and Kidz Fields and had a lovely time. Only watched two musical acts, Macca and Paul Heaton & Jacqui Abbott and they were both excellent. Like I said, I had a great festival! Those that didn’t, maybe the festival has changed and you’d have a more Glasto-like experience if you changed too, not into becoming a chair-camper or cokehead I mean but by doing different stuff next time. There’s a whole lot of festival to enjoy!

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

But it shouldn’t be the case that people have to miss out on half of what they want to do for fear of crushes. That’s the whole point. If we followed your logic to its natural conclusion then the safest thing to do is just not attend at all. 

Yeah, this sort of planning suggestion is helpful for individuals wanting to avoid crowds but most attendees are not on efests all year and considering things like that. Most people see something listed in the programme and assume they can go and see it.

Also I appreciate Covid changes how people act and there's been a loss of knowledge, but its also inarguable that they increased capacity, but didn't increase stage capacity, toilet numbers, food stall numbers, camping space, water points or any infrastructure. 

Was it worse to the point of being problematic? I don't think so, but it would have been had it been a muddy one.

12 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Was it worse to the point of being problematic? I don't think so, but it would have been had it been a muddy one.

I think this a key issue. This is probably the closest I've got to perfect weather for me (I'd have still taken it a little cooler) but if those crowds were moving on even slightly muddy ground it would have been insanity with people getting stuck/trampled 

It was definitely overcrowded in some places, I went with the kids to the other stage for years and years with the kids so we could get a place for the pet shop boys, sat right at the back by the food stalls and we were still getting barged and pushed before years and years came on, no ro at all....we left at the end of their set as it was just getting busier, I have never seen it that busy at the back of the other stage

we were camped in family camping in cockmills by the fence and kept hearing really loud banging a night  by the fence and Saturday night our neighbours said they saw people coming over the fence so possibly lot of people were getting in.

Some of the urinals were far smaller than normal, which just seemed odd. The obvious effect this had was lines of guys peeing against the urinal fences. 

Crowds, at times, were a bit too much. It definitely felt that there were an extra ~20k people. 

Wood chip - More like wood chunks. Nearly twisted my ankle several times. Seems like such an easy thing to get right. 

Attendees - By increasing capacity you’ll inevitably get more bucket listers who have no interest in the Healing Fields but just want to go from big stage to big stage and expect to see everyone they’ve highlighted in the programme. But I would like to think that this year was especially bad due to it being the first post-pandemic and many people have forgotten how to treat one another in crowded situations. Basically, a lot more selfishness. I spoke to one girl last night who gave me a ‘tip’ to avoid the crowds leaving a stage: “Fake a panic attack. I’ve been doing it all weekend and it’s so much more convenient”. I replied questioning the morality of that and she just laughed and wandered off. 

4 minutes ago, modey said:

It was definitely overcrowded in some places, I went with the kids to the other stage for years and years with the kids so we could get a place for the pet shop boys, sat right at the back by the food stalls and we were still getting barged and pushed before years and years came on, no ro at all....we left at the end of their set as it was just getting busier, I have never seen it that busy at the back of the other stage

we were camped in family camping in cockmills by the fence and kept hearing really loud banging a night  by the fence and Saturday night our neighbours said they saw people coming over the fence so possibly lot of people were getting in.

The funny thing is we were in front of the sound desk for Years and Years and there was tons of room. 

1 hour ago, kemosabe said:

I found the crowd were absolutely great to be honest. The vast vast majority were helping each other where they can and there was actually less pushing to the front then I remember at previous Glastonbury's (i think because the crowds were so dense people knew they weren't getting anywhere close). I really just think there were far more people on site and it was too many for it to be comfortable. 

Echo this. I found people mainly polite. I even noted in this thread that I thought people used their phones a lot less this year. Some songs I looked around and there wasn’t one phone in sight. I wonder if people have just forgotten some of the downsides of Glasto and how people act, it’s not new.

saying that, 100% agree there were too many people. Maybe in forgetting myself but never remember literally every single vendor having a queue at pretty much every time of the day.

I dunno, it all felt pretty normal to me! The only time I was more aware of any idiots was DiRo, but I always get that feeling at the legend slot as the people you’ve often managed to avoid all week pop out then plus the extra Sunday people.

The only crowd issue we had was leaving Sam fender and Billy fans coming in - totally expected really. We also then made it in to the acoustic tent for almost all of the Paul H / Jaqui A set which was fabulous! Defo seemed less pushing through when down at the front too. 

I felt I did less queuing than previous years, didn’t queue longer than a few mins for food / loos / drinks at any point, and thought it seemed like there were more toilets particularly around the other stage.

Also people much more courteous, holding toilet doors open, apologising if they bumped you etc. 

Over all one of my best Glastonbury’s yet! 

I couldn't believe the crowds coming in when leaving Sports team. From all directions. We went against the flow all the way to Other. 

I was the one shouting "please do not make me listen to George Ezra! Let me out!"

It just makes me a little sad that some of the crowds may be there  for bucket list purposes. Seeing how much attention some pay during sets...

• Upvote 3

20 hours ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Don’t know why people bother standing behind the sound stages, surely just go to see someone else 😆 

You can't see for shit half the time cos of flags anyway! We had a big group of 30 or so of us for Diana Ross and Pet Shop Boys, so aimed for behind the sound desk or disabled platform because we all need space to be together, have a clear meeting point and dance like loons. The sound is also mega when you're right behind the repeater. We were behind the disabled platform for PSB and the sound was mega, blow your face off good and loud. Fair enough we could only see half the stage but we could see the screens and I'd sacrifice visuals for mint audio and space to dance with my mates every day of the week.

• Like 1

Really didn't have any issues with anybody, had one group of talkers next to me at Joy Crookes but they soon fucked off. People were leaving so much space at the front of crowds - I came into Other via Leftfield just as Years and Years came on and managed to get halfway between the sound desk and the right screen without any bother at all, just moved sideways and found plenty of room. Was manic trying to get out of the same way post-PSB though, stopped for a pint instead then was fine. Only thing I noped out of was the dash from TLC to Idles but wasn't too fussed on that anyhow. 

Actually found the crowds at sets to be really into it, weather helped but I thought every set was popping. Maybe I just picked really good areas and sets to be at, but generally found everyone more engaged, more willing to go for it and less phone usage. 

I found it all ok this year to be honest, bit of forward planning and avoiding likely pinch points worked out fine. That said, I only saw 4-5 acts a day and took it pretty easy. Macca and DiRo crowds were fine once you made your way in a bit, and had no issues in SEC post-2am.  

I remain dumfounded by the logistics and level of organisation to create a world for us for 5 days! It ain't a purpose built site, it's a farm in the English countryside- it's damned incredible to me

Had an amazing time this year. Didn’t encounter any dickheads, just one mildly irritating man in a bucket hat at Bicep whistling really loudly every few mins, properly ear piercing stuff, he sounded like a police siren. 

Agree that it felt busier than usual, especially around the toilets. The guys I came with had to queue for the urinals and me for long drops a few times a night which I really don’t remember needing to do so often in previous years. 

Also slightly frustrating was every food vendor having long queues at almost all times of day. 

I did notice the younger demographic but I used to also be one of those young folk when I started coming in 2007 having only ever done the carnage that is Reading festival where setting fire to tents, throwing gas canisters into fires and acting like an angry mob in the campsites was the order of the day. Glastonbury taught me a new way back then and now I’m slightly horrified at my anarchic youth!

So we really shouldn’t be looking down on the young blood, and instead look to set an example for how to behave at festivals. 

• Upvote 5

I knew this thread would be here after just getting home because this was such an evident difference from other years.

There always have been / will be scheduling snafus that cause bottlenecks or disproportionately large crowds at some smaller stages but this year was crazy and I honestly think it's capacity - there were just too many people on the site.

I've never had to queue for food / toilets or outright abandon acts like I did this weekend. Had traders and stewards saying they've never seen it like this before too. 

Hasn't stopped it being the best weekend I've had since Glastonbury 2019 but I do hope they observe and acknowledge this, and that they don't oversell so much next year.

1 minute ago, Skoo said:

So we really shouldn’t be looking down on the young blood, and instead look to set an example for how to behave at festivals. 

Totally agree with this. Disappointing to see some of the attitudes here about people not deemed to be "the right sort", feels very elitist.

I had an amazing time

amazing friends. Amazing bands. Weather could have been much, much worse. 
but the Glastonbury magic was a bit diminished this year because everything felt like an ordeal. Too many people everywhere. 2019 was the perfect GLASTO. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1