Crowd control issues

dulcificum

Was quite close to the rear of pyramid field for Macca and it was noticeable that half way through the set a helluva lot of what I thought was younger folk left by pushing through the crowd. Leaving. Yet many who were desperate to see him were stuck up the hill 

Edited by Ayrshire Chris

Leaving south east corner at 630am this morning and the crowd was still massive. I think there's like 20k too many here

Also they need to spread out the nightlife options a bit more from arcadia and south east. There's nothing at silver Hayes, the silent disco used to have a huge presence

This whole thread beginning to grind my gears... Apologies. Everyone suddenly becomes an events management expert. Yes it's very busy. Yes there are issues. But by and large, Glastonbury gets most things right and when they don't, they learn from it. After three difficult years a wee bit more positivity people. Come on. Sorry, but I feckin love this place. Warts and all 

Edited by Tranquility of Solitude
  • Upvote 4

53 minutes ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

This whole thread beginning to grind my gears... Apologies. Everyone suddenly becomes an events management expert. Yes it's very busy. Yes there are issues. But by and large, Glastonbury gets most things right and when they don't, they learn from it. After three difficult years a wee bit more positivity people. Come on. Sorry, but I feckin love this place. Warts and all 

People spend hundreds and hundreds of pounds, time off work, and a lot of effort to come every year. If they're scared at crowd crushes or behaviour or logistical issues, it's perfectly valid to express it and want it changed.

This is a multimillion pound organisation that's been going for decades, and simple stuff like packing too many people on site and flawed logistics is extremely basic shit. Just ignore the thread and go do something fun on site if it's bumming you out.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 6

1 hour ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

Sorry but after ten glastos this is the first time being in crowds that were busy to the point of feeling unsafe, and seems to be occuring regularly, something has clearly gone wrong

What kind of a festival would we end up with if everyone just sucked it up and said "yeah everything's perfect isn't" all the time despite it not being the case

I've had a great time as usual (I think you would have to work very hard to not enjoy yourself here) but that doesn't mean you can't call out faults

1 hour ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

It's a global issue this year and handwaving potentially fatal issues as "warts" is a bit out of touch. Primavera had dangerous crushes. Glasto has had dangerous crushes. Both have been massively oversold at a time where everything is understaffed. Shit even Green Day at Huddersfield last night was horrendously mismanaged. The industry is in a recovery phase and they're acting as if nothing's changed 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

@BBC7BBCHEAVEN @BenG92 I hear you both. But I've worked every day, it's my first and only full day off. Can we perhaps save the post mortem until Monday? Can we also find something positive for balance?

It's a thread specifically about crowd control issues, there's plenty of other threads - people aren't whinging for the sake of it, we had to yell loudly online about Primvera's rotten first day for them to try to fix stuff! 

5 minutes ago, BenG92 said:

It's a thread specifically about crowd control issues, there's plenty of other threads - people aren't whinging for the sake of it, we had to yell loudly online about Primvera's rotten first day for them to try to fix stuff! 

Fair point. I'll just avoid this thread for today at least 🙂

I'm like someone checking Trip Advisor for a holiday I'm already on! 

I've not noticed it being worse.

But after coming for 20 years I know where and when to avoid things. Plan ahead and be patient. Don't leave a main act straight away. Don't expect to see a massive pop act on a small stage unless you get their very early. Avoid shite like Calvin Harris. Paul was easy to get into the crowd if you turned up early. 

If you don't like crowds go to permaculture/ green fields and chill out. 

Edited by danbailey80
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, danbailey80 said:

I've not noticed it being worse.

But after coming for 20 years I know where and when to avoid things. Plan ahead and be patient. Don't leave a main act straight away. Don't expect to see a massive pop act on a small stage unless you get their very early. Avoide shite like Calvin Harris. Paul was easy to get into the crowd if you turned up early. 

If you don't like crowds go to permaculture/ green fields and chill out. 

Haha, this is the best advice 😉 Avoid all the shit that sheeple like.

Just now, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Haha, this is the best advice 😉 Avoid all the shit that sheeple like.

Just now, danbailey80 said:

Exactly! Calvin Harris was always going to be a shitshow. 

But this still doesn't excuse the fact that there's still too many people and the organisation/audience spread/logistics isn't good enough to compensate.

Too many people on site is bad for everyone because it increases the risk for everyone – if something happened at eg Calvin or George Ezra would you be like "well, they deserved it because he's popular and shit and they should have avoided it"? No, thought not.

6 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

But this still doesn't excuse the fact that there's still too many people and the organisation/audience spread/logistics isn't good enough to compensate.

Too many people on site is bad for everyone because it increases the risk for everyone – if something happened at eg Calvin or George Ezra would you be like "well, they deserved it because he's popular and shit and they should have avoided it"? No, thought not.

Yeah, of course, was just having a laugh because it sounded so funny. "Avoid all the popular pop crap". Haha.

In all seriousness, I'm thinking about writing to the festival through their contact form online and asking about the problems witnessed this year. Perhaps if enough ppl did that they'd reconsider pushing capacity up any higher and think about the price instead.

For example.

They raised capacity a few years ago by 7k, which generates an extra 2m quid (at 285 a ticket).

Across 150k regular attendees, they'd only need to increase the ticket another £13.50 to get the same figure back.

If they increased the ticket price by £50, they'd easily be able to maintain the capacity it was a few years back. 

Edited by MEGATRONICMEATWAGON
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Suprefan said:

John peel is fucked. Everyone outsiide is sitting. Impossible to get out

Yes nipped up to have a look but it’s like a beach on Benidorm at the moment.  Found a nice pyramid spot , going for food and drink and chilling out. I hate jazz but putting up with it

jazz.  Fast show,    Nice 😀

Edited by Ayrshire Chris

7 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Yes nipped up to have a look but it’s like a beach on Benidorm at the moment.  Found a nice pyramid spot , going for food and drink and chilling out. I hate jazz but putting up with it! 

You couldve made it to West Holts for Nightmares on Wax. Theyre starting late. Way chill and loose crowd.

Now the Jack White problem in 4 hours....

1 hour ago, Suprefan said:

John peel is fucked. Everyone outsiide is sitting. Impossible to get out

Very glad I left before the end of sports team

Feels like there's a giant mob just moving between the big names this year. Convinced the Tories sent tickets out to voters

Just positioned myself so I can watch them all crush each other en route to Diana Ross and I can go watch the Sniffers in hopefully relatively small crowd

25 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

You couldve made it to West Holts for Nightmares on Wax. Theyre starting late. Way chill and loose crowd.

Now the Jack White problem in 4 hours....

Yeah don't what to do there. Will be leaving for home after it but if it's going to be mental might just leave straight from amyl and the Sniffers