Crowd control issues

dulcificum

28 minutes ago, CRW5252 said:

Perhaps, but I think it is more to do with the fact London has such a large population (rather than being from London gives you an advantage in the music scene). 

I would argue that Manchester and Liverpool have a larger influence on the UK music scene than London does, relative to the size of the city. I don't that is a negative thing. In fact, it is a credit to the cities and one of the things that makes them great places. Love Liverpool as a place (in particular). 

Perhaps you're right but from the last time I went, it felt like it was incredibly London-centric - and I'm including all the late night, SE Corner, audience/Djs in that.

I'm probably just being an old man and miss the days when there were a lot of smaller venues in that area and it didn't feel so mainstream. 

I always associate London = mainstream.

Interesting to see some veterans saying its the worst they ever seen it. But is it really? I mean 2000 and a couple before that it was hard to actually walk comfortably for more than 10ft anywhere onsite. Even the surrounding bordering car parks would be rammo. Plus lots of crowd jams all over the place. 

2 minutes ago, Cooter said:

Interesting to see some veterans saying its the worst they ever seen it. But is it really? I mean 2000 and a couple before that it was hard to actually walk comfortably for more than 10ft anywhere onsite. Even the surrounding bordering car parks would be rammo. Plus lots of crowd jams all over the place. 

Sure, but I think it's important to separate pre-fence with post-fence. It's like pre-seating and post-seating after the Hillsborough shambles.

2 minutes ago, Cooter said:

This is first time I’ve posted here in years but this thread had me wondering same. Is it as crazy as 2000? Bloody hell my missus was 6 months pregnant then with our oldest. He’s done 2 Glastonbury’s as a kid, loads of Beautiful Days and no doubt getting shitfaced (again) at Boomtown soon 😂

Hope everyone ok though. Thinking I might return next year for my 10th Glasto in 33 years. 2010 was my last. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

What's so dangerous? Just people trying to get into the field?

Stay safe!

Hundreds & hundreds of people trying to go both directions with space for a single file line.

Low light was a very old lady who was clearly in distress fall out of her wheel chair and bunch of us trying in vain to tell an obviously disinterested crowd to stop and slow down.

It did calm down for the 2nd half of the gig but no one around us enjoyed the first hour at all.

Edited by Major_Tom108

1 minute ago, Major_Tom108 said:

Hundreds & hundreds of people trying to go both directions with space for a single file line.

Low light was a very old lady who was clearly in distress fall out of her wheel chair and bunch of us trying in vain to tell an obviously disinterested crowd to stop and slow down.

Shit, that sounds pretty awful. Hope she got back up and is now alright. 

OK so firstly, everyone here at the festival is really lovely. I don't think any of the issues are caused by bad or obnoxious behaviour.

There is a behavioural difference, but its subtle, and nobody in the thread seems to have mentioned it yet.

Firstly, there is actually less pushing than ever before. People are respecting each others personal space, I've never seen so few people pushing through crowds. But this is a problem. The front areas of stages are unexpectedly sparse, as no one pushes forward anymore. Everyone is happy to stay at the back, but actually this is where the crowding is now. This prevents people from accessing the field, as less people are needed to fill it up. This explains all the stories of nice crowds at the front, but crushes towards the back (Wet Leg, Arcadia, etc.)

Secondly, in some ways it's a ghost town Glastonbury. I've never seen many areas of the festival so dead. It seems to me there is a larger than ever amount of group think going on. Everyone wants to see the exact same acts. If you avoid the must see acts, you largely find a pleasant and sedate Glastonbury.

After a few years of Covid, acts were not touring, and festivals were not on. People stopped discovering music, and as a result, everyone ended up liking the same things while we were all stuck at home. This will correct eventually, but at the moment, we all like the same things. After a few more years of gigs and festivals, people are likely to have more diverse taste again.

If you are reading this, I implore you to explore the festival, and go see some acts you have never heard of on Sunday. You're pretty much going to have a private show wherever you go. It's great. Just don't follow the crowd, and you won't find a crowd.

• Upvote 13

Can't speak for all areas but Theatre fields are noticeably busier. Not in a bad way, in a good way as they are often ghost towns after around 6pm but have remained busy. Toilet queues and food stall queues much bigger too. I've not encountered any crushes or anything too bad but definitely feels much busier.

5 hours ago, Major_Tom108 said:

I can confirm the crown control at Macca is none existent. Genuinely  dangerous at the back around the dirt track. 

This what's wrong with the place..for whatever reason, punters who had no interest in Noel or Macca were using that to move through either to San Remo or other stage, John peel.

I never want to pigeon hole anyone but alot of the people moving on the top of the field were the new blood of the festival I think.

I think it's quite possible that the issues could be being caused by the younger generation taking a different idea of the festival and who they want to see and the movement that follows. 

There is absolutely nothing wrong with that at all btw.

But it could explain the huge influx of crowds in certain areas very quickly. 

Its a bit controversial this and not meant to be, so I hope I've not offended anyone. 

In hindsight though, anyone trying to get to JP for Headliner would have to pass through there or go via Other Stage. 

I don't know, I honestly believe it's been to busy this year, or people are not spreading across the stages and just moving for the same acts.

9 hours ago, Major_Tom108 said:

I can confirm the crown control at Macca is none existent. Genuinely  dangerous at the back around the dirt track. 

Where I was it was fine.  It was the classic donut effect... busy round the edges and quieter in the middle...  same thing happened at the stones and U2.  

Problem you do have is people not leaving enough time between acts and all going in via same routes.

15 hours ago, benali said:

Nothing to do with a rise in drug use, more a change in drug use.

Just wondered if there had been a shift from things like MDMA and acid to coke? I may be completely wrong of course, but it would possibly explain a more disrespectful attitude in the crowd amongst some people.

Haven't you noticed ee have a population that happily voted for Johnson when all of the isuues were known, imagine the crowd as tory mps. 

1 minute ago, Suprefan said:

Well fortunately Kendrick is going to have less people than Billie and Pet Shop Boys will have everyone that Macca had last night. I mean it kind of is a tactical error since the locals come in today and they will have zero interest in the Pyramid headliner.

I think Paul would have preferred Sunday after asking if there was anyone from Glasto. 

7 hours ago, Greased-Up Deaf Guy said:

Calvin Harris at arcadia went as expected. Ram jam round edges no security to been. Even saw a fight in arcadia crew bar afrer, madness 

We didn't have an issue. Went in by the co-op and was fairly easy to get past the speaker line. Just followed the arrows for the "shortcut".