Crowd control issues

dulcificum

2 hours ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Sorry, what? There's special wristbands this year? For getting in places like the Rabbit Hole faster etc?

For all sorts yep. Friend has a rabbit hole one, but seen a few people with them for various venues, and it's basically just a case of who you know behind the gates.

4 hours ago, Alex DeLarge said:

Might be a bit of a long rambling one.

I'm volunteering at ped gate D this year, if you're there between 6am-12 come say hi to this tall dopey brummie.

The crowds haven't impacted how lovely the punters have been to me this year, only one person was rude and I met Dom Joly who was lovely. Thank you to everyone making us staff feel safe and nice.

That being said, this year is a real struggle for me. I'm feeling anxious, scared, depressed - everything I wouldn't usually feel at glastonbury.

My friends are being really weird and seem to not care I'm here. I could barely leave the tent today I was that low. I thought I could do what I usually do and hit block 9 by myself and make friends, but everyone is aggro, annoyed, hates eacjother. Its a really bad vibe generally and I've taken a bit of a dip. It's really overwhelming and I feel really bad. I don't remember it being like this. Anyone else struggling?

Logged back in after a long long time just to upvote this. Stay safe mate. If you need a chat just pm

15 minutes ago, FrancisH said:

For all sorts yep. Friend has a rabbit hole one, but seen a few people with them for various venues, and it's basically just a case of who you know behind the gates.

That sounds proper w*nky. I'm sure it's been going on before, but with increased capacity and all the bottlenecks, it sounds more like a pisstake than ever before.

3 hours ago, BobWillis2 said:

It’s all subjective though, one persons c**t is another persons best friend they’ve never met. 

Sure, but when you replace all the hippies with whatever's popular in London/the mainstream, it's not totally unsurprising.

PS - surely MDMA is still popular. Coke too, but I saw a tonne of people doing both the last time I went and it was grand. I always think that a person must be a total arsehole anyway before they take anything to be a total arsehole when they're wasted. A violent drunk has likely a tendency to be violent when sober already.

Edited by MEGATRONICMEATWAGON

52 minutes ago, poison69 said:

Does anyone remember 2000?

Heading towards the Pyramid for the Chemical Brothers after seeing Moby on the Other stage was the biggest crush I have been in, couldn’t move out of the crowd, just had to move slowly forward with everyone else. I couldn’t believe no one was hurt that year.

12 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Sure, but when you replace all the hippies with whatever's popular in London/the mainstream, it's not totally unsurprising.

PS - surely MDMA is still popular. Coke too, but I saw a tonne of people doing both the last time I went and it was grand. I always think that a person must be a total arsehole anyway before they take anything to be a total arsehole when they're wasted. A violent drunk has likely a tendency to be violent when sober already.

Why is London relevant? 

Edited by CRW5252

6 hours ago, Alex DeLarge said:

Might be a bit of a long rambling one.

I'm volunteering at ped gate D this year, if you're there between 6am-12 come say hi to this tall dopey brummie.

The crowds haven't impacted how lovely the punters have been to me this year, only one person was rude and I met Dom Joly who was lovely. Thank you to everyone making us staff feel safe and nice.

That being said, this year is a real struggle for me. I'm feeling anxious, scared, depressed - everything I wouldn't usually feel at glastonbury.

My friends are being really weird and seem to not care I'm here. I could barely leave the tent today I was that low. I thought I could do what I usually do and hit block 9 by myself and make friends, but everyone is aggro, annoyed, hates eacjother. Its a really bad vibe generally and I've taken a bit of a dip. It's really overwhelming and I feel really bad. I don't remember it being like this. Anyone else struggling?

Sorry to hear this. Great to see others on the forum reaching out. There's also the Samaritans on the path between Pyramid and Other for support too.

Take care

6 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Because London, despite being awesome, is not emblematic of the wider UK, musically or other.

Agreed, but I don't feel London dominates music culture in the UK and, therefore, any more or less influence on the Glastonbury line up than any other major UK city. 

1 minute ago, CRW5252 said:

Agreed, but I don't feel London dominates music culture in the UK and, therefore, any more or less influence on the Glastonbury line up than any other major UK city. 

I'd disagree. I think if you take out the international acts, there's a dominance of London origin or London based acts. Pretty much all grime/UK rap comes out of London for example. 

1 minute ago, Nobby's Old Boots said:

Really not true.

And how many grime acts are booked this weekend?

That was just one example. If you factor in a lot of the dance/SE Corner acts/Silver Hayes, without a doubt London dominates.

Which cities are the most popular for supplying artists if you disagree?

18 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

I'd disagree. I think if you take out the international acts, there's a dominance of London origin or London based acts. 

Definitely not the case this weekend, none of the Pyramid or Other headliners and subs are from London 

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

Tbh size of crowds aside, everyone I've encountered has been sound. To the point that consistently the crowds for sets have been popping - Confidence Man, Self Esteem, Sugababes, Avalanches - all gone off massively more than I'd have expected. Everyone seems up for it this year. 

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

I'd disagree. I think if you take out the international acts, there's a dominance of London origin or London based acts. Pretty much all grime/UK rap comes out of London for example. 

The British acts with the biggest slots this year are: Sam Fender, Noel G, Foals, Macca, Years and Years, Elbow, Robert Plant and AK, Pet Shop Boys. 

2 of them are from London. Doesn't seem like dominance to me. 

Grime originated in London so no suprise lots of the acts are from there. It's not like grime has taken over the festival. 

23 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Definitely not the case this weekend, none of the Pyramid or Other headliners and subs are from London 

I meant the festival as a whole though. As I said, if you take out international bands...

That's also an incredibly small sample size.

Edited by MEGATRONICMEATWAGON

11 minutes ago, CRW5252 said:

The British acts with the biggest slots this year are: Sam Fender, Noel G, Foals, Macca, Years and Years, Elbow, Robert Plant and AK, Pet Shop Boys. 

2 of them are from London. Doesn't seem like dominance to me. 

Grime originated in London so no suprise lots of the acts are from there. It's not like grime has taken over the festival. 

Which cities dominate then in your estimation?

13 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

Tbh size of crowds aside, everyone I've encountered has been sound. To the point that consistently the crowds for sets have been popping - Confidence Man, Self Esteem, Sugababes, Avalanches - all gone off massively more than I'd have expected. Everyone seems up for it this year. 

Agree. There have been obvious issues that will need addressing (if the capacity continues to increase then they need another main stage and the two late night spots need to be on opposite sides of the site to force ppl to make a choice and stick to it) but every person I’ve interacted with has been brilliant. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Which cities dominate then in your estimation?

I don't think any city dominates. London is the biggest city in the country by a landslide (population wise) so not a surprise if there are more acts from there at the festival. I don't think it is any huge split though. Liverpool and Manchester have, undoubtedly, bigger mainstream influence in the rock/indie genre. 

Lets be real, bands like the Courteeners would be half as popular if they were from down south. Average at best and famous off the hype of being from Manchester (a hugely influential city famous for its music scene).

1 minute ago, CRW5252 said:

I don't think any city dominates. London is the biggest city in the country by a landslide (population wise) so not a surprise if there are more acts from there at the festival. I don't think it is any huge split though. Liverpool and Manchester have, undoubtedly, bigger mainstream influence in the rock/indie genre. 

Lets be real, bands like the Courteeners would be half as popular if they were from down south. Average at best and famous off the hype of being from Manchester (a hugely influential city famous for its music scene).

That is true about northern bands, I'll give you that. Manchester is also a huge music contributer to the UK. But as you say, London is the biggest and it wouldn't surprise me that there's a dominance of bands/artists/DJs from that area - as well as a dominance of people from London being at the festival. That's all I'm saying.

7 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

That is true about northern bands, I'll give you that. Manchester is also a huge music contributer to the UK. But as you say, London is the biggest and it wouldn't surprise me that there's a dominance of bands/artists/DJs from that area - as well as a dominance of people from London being at the festival. That's all I'm saying.

Perhaps, but I think it is more to do with the fact London has such a large population (rather than being from London gives you an advantage in the music scene). 

I would argue that Manchester and Liverpool have a larger influence on the UK music scene than London does, relative to the size of the city. I don't that is a negative thing. In fact, it is a credit to the cities and one of the things that makes them great places. Love Liverpool as a place (in particular). 

I think people are possibly underestimating the loss of knowledge factor for the festivals. The last full festival season was 2019 and a lot of security guards will have took different work when Covid hit - supermarkets and rail stuff - can't imagine many of the older much more experienced staff would be itching to go back to a job that involves spending insane amounts of time away from their families after being around them for two years for the same/a little bit more pay than the job they did during Covid.

Edited by willgooneday