Crowd control issues

dulcificum

Lots of reports about bad crushes at William's Green, The Park for Wet Leg, West Holts for TLC and Avalon for Sugababes. 

Just spent over 30 mins at a standstill in one of the most terrifying and dangerous crushes I've witnessed at the junction between Park and Arcadia. No security or signage to be seen, nobody knew what was going on, no movement in any direction even though there are five potential exit routes.

What on earth is going on this year? 

Edited by dulcificum

The crush at the park/Arcadia was actually made worse by security trying to have an in/out system either side of the tree, which wasnt apparent to anyone until they got to the security and had to double back to go around the tree.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

I’d imagine issues from shortages of workers to do security 

If thats the case then why the hell is there plenty of staff controlling SE Corner. They had to have hired enough staff cause they need a certain number per capita. The concern is if theyre trained well enough or have the experience.

The Avalon thing was handled poorly because they just stood around and you just had to get to the front to find out what happened and either leave or sneak through. Leaving Sugababes it was open and there was no crush at all. The field overall looked 80% full or so.

Edited by Suprefan

Williams Green on Thursday was a sign of things to come.

You know it's bad, when they are blocking off the pyramid before the cider bus to stop people gaining access.

Absolute shambles of movement of large crowds this year.

They have fucked with the layout, Arcadia especially. It used to have an entry and access point below the bar on the left hand side. It's all fenced off now. So your in and out limited.

Arcadia was always open and you could approach from different pathways. 

It's also got smaller.

Festival has been oversold for me, I love it to bits, but there are places bottlenecked, that shouldn't be.

Thats too many tickets being sold 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

I was at the Arcadia/Park crush with my daughter trying to reach @Miynwho was already inside Arcadia.

He was messaging me giving instructions on where to meet and that there was loads of room inside. I was saying we're stuck and can't move anywhere. It made no sense to him.

I've never been in a crush like it anywhere in my life. Basically they forced a big crowd many of whom wanted to be in Arcadia to stay outside on the paths whilst there was plenty of capacity in the field. If it's that bad despite Chemical Brothers cancelling what will it be like for Calvin Harris?

It’s does seem really really busy everywhere - but I thought that last time in 2019 as well- I think it’s all the extra staff/volunteers/artists etc and they did apply for more capacity tickets for the whole site. We are in Sticklinch this year so have a slightly different experience to usual but I took the long way round to get back to avoid Arcadia last night. 
I did hear bloke telling his mate on the phone walking through the campsite “l’m in I climbed over” - I don’t think he realised he hadn’t reached the big fence yet and the security there! 😂

Other to West Holts for TLC was intense. Nobody moving anywhere for ten mins, and people starting to push when there was no room. Don't remember ever queuing for a urinal before, now they're rammed and you can't get in. Feels like there are so many more people this year, takes ages getting anywhere. If it was muddy we would be in serious shit.

• Upvote 1

Yeah we’ve noticed a lot of this too. Just feels like way more people around, which either means they’ve sold too many tickets or too few crowd control measures. 

I also think they really cocked up with some of the artist/stage placements. Why on earth were Wet Leg so early on the park? And the Thursday Williams Green stuff needs to be scaled back or more acts of a similar level on different stages.

The vibe of the festival has been amazing and we’re having a blast, but it’s the first time I’ve noticed such big logistical issues.

• Upvote 2