Future of the Festival

Jack.194

I’m sat at home waiting to get to the festival, one more day at school teaching tomorrow and I’m off!

Sitting here, along with a quick look at the FOMO thread, got me thinking about how the festival might change in the future re: tickets. The obvious given is that tickets will get more expensive, but what about demand? As a general rule demand for tickets has risen each year as the festival has sold out quicker and quicker - will this continue? Or will demand plateau and decrease?

5 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

There has to be some tipping point somewhere along the line where the ticket price gets so extortionate that it diminishes demand, surely? Personally I’d pay up to about £500 to get in but that would clearly be beyond a lot of people.  

I think we're reaching that saturation point. Different these few years with not being on yearly but I couldn't justify a £300 ticket every single year (bar fallow). People buy at inflated prices because of desperation but if supply outstripped demand with no covid delays, I'd not be surprised if they begin to struggle to sell out soon.

Persinally, I'm treating this as possibly the last time I'll be here. My first time was 2014, and I think it was £215 a ticket, £25 parking.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the ticket alone pass £300 and the parking potentially get to £75. Add on to the fact you're talking £10-15 to get a decent meal this year, then I think I'm going to be priced out, especially when it comes to the "you don't go for the lineup" argument. This year is (for me) the worst lineup of any Glasto I've attended. I certainly wouldn't be paying £300+ to come and see it.

I'm probably gonna try to get tickets in future, but whether I'll pay the balance once the lineup is out is another story

3 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

What will happen is it will go beyond 500 quid and then the place will be full of rich fuckers.

Sadly I do think this will happen.

I think it's definitely going to start pricing people out. I'm lucky enough to be able to afford it, at least for now, but loads won't be able to even at current prices. 

6 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

What will happen is it will go beyond 500 quid and then the place will be full of rich fuckers.

Was only just talking about this. Would I pay £500? Yes I would. Am I rich or privileged? Absolutely not. 
Can’t see it happening though. Would go against everything the festival stands for, no? 

The steps from the current price towards the 500 pound mark are going to increase quite a lot in size over the next few years, inflation this year is going to be around the 10% mark and the festivals finances this year won't be as they had planned for, if they want to keep doing bigger and better things and giving lots to charity, they will either have to make quite large ticket price increases or use some of their float, they may end up doing some of both, but they have to be careful to keep that float at a good size.

I can see next years tickets being 330 which is quite an increase and of course that will tie in with all of the other price increases that people will have in their lives.

Having said all that, i can't see them struggling to sell out yet, there is such a demand and there are still so many people who see it as their yearly treat, the rich are already going and the not so rich will cut other things out just to be there.

I do think demand will not continue to increase, but the levels now are more than enough to ensure quick sellouts, i also think that more people will be making the call on balance payments and lineups and so resales will be bigger and last longer in the future. The lineup does matter to some people for sure

• Upvote 1

Yea, the headliners and legend are strange ones this year. All very BBC safe if you know what I mean. If we all didn't know better then a lot of us wouldn't be going to a fest with those names headlining. As good as they are at what they do I certainly wouldn't.

As for price, I think £500 would still be a bargain for what you get generally.

Edited by Cooter

Much like Premier League football, the price increases for festivals change the dynamic of the crowd and, in my opinion, not for the better.

Add in the move towards booking more mainstream artists at Glastonbury and the demographic of people who go now to the those who went 20 years ago is totally different. 

When I look at the line up you still have the "old" Glastonbury there, but it's very much second place to the "new" Glastonbury which is what no doubt causes the huge rush for tickets and allows prices to increase.

I haven't been for years but the impression I get is that there are more people going now because it's something they want to tick off the bucket list and show off about on social media, rather than it just being part of their normal summer festival cycle.

Of course festivals evolve, and that's partly to make sure they sell enough tickets in a competitive market, however I'm not sure Glastonbury needed to do that as much as some of the others?

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, benali said:

Much like Premier League football, the price increases for festivals change the dynamic of the crowd and, in my opinion, not for the better.

Add in the move towards booking more mainstream artists at Glastonbury and the demographic of people who go now to the those who went 20 years ago is totally different. 

When I look at the line up you still have the "old" Glastonbury there, but it's very much second place to the "new" Glastonbury which is what no doubt causes the huge rush for tickets and allows prices to increase.

I haven't been for years but the impression I get is that there are more people going now because it's something they want to tick off the bucket list and show off about on social media, rather than it just being part of their normal summer festival cycle.

Of course festivals evolve, and that's partly to make sure they sell enough tickets in a competitive market, however I'm not sure Glastonbury needed to do that as much as some of the others?

Yeah the amount of social media posts I'm getting of "look I'm at Glastonbury" is kind of cringe....

59 minutes ago, benali said:

Everything you've just said, 110%

Think this may be my last. Personally, this year’s line up is the worst I’ve experienced. Add in another bad experience with having coach tickets and the general mob of Instagram/bucket listers that don’t seem to understand the ethos of the festival, and I’m definitely struggling to enjoy it this time.

I saw 4 lads pissing against a fence on Wednesday afternoon, less than 20m to the nearest toilets. I called them out on it and received abuse.

Maybe I’m just having some bad luck so far. Williams Green yesterday was a joke, I’ve never seen it that bad. In fact, it just seems way more crowded this time. Has capacity gone up? 

4 minutes ago, Matt87 said:

Think this may be my last. Personally, this year’s line up is the worst I’ve experienced. Add in another bad experience with having coach tickets and the general mob of Instagram/bucket listers that don’t seem to understand the ethos of the festival, and I’m definitely struggling to enjoy it this time.

I saw 4 lads pissing against a fence on Wednesday afternoon, less than 20m to the nearest toilets. I called them out on it and received abuse.

Maybe I’m just having some bad luck so far. Williams Green yesterday was a joke, I’ve never seen it that bad. In fact, it just seems way more crowded this time. Has capacity gone up? 

Wednesday and Thursday seem way more busy this year to me then previous years. The crowd does feel a lots less interesting and a lot more gentrified (to coin a  phrase from the documentary the other day) 

This year has by far the strongest lineup of any year I’ve been to before. 2013 was my first and this is overwhelmingly stacked from top to bottom.

I listen to a lot of music and try my best to keep on top of new music. So every year feels fresh to me. Always stuff I’ve not seen!

Glastonbury to me is like one annual event where I get to see some of the biggest people around right now without seeing any of them at their own gig. It’s worth the value of the ticket to me when you stack it up against individual gig tickets. £500 would be crazy and I wouldn’t enjoy paying it, but the festival is still worth the money while I can still do it.

2022 for me so far has confirmed why I love the place. Main music hasn’t even started yet.

Edited by Matt42
  • Upvote 2

Price will go up that’s inevitable. The festival isn’t immune to the same economic shitshow that’s hitting everyone else.

Had a great day yesterday though. Steered clear of WG and the Glade as too busy, went to the Circus Fields and watched a brilliant Bhangra band in Avalon. Surprised at how many non-White people I’ve seen too

I think the inflation vs band fee thing might get a bit interesting for Glastonbury over the next couple of years. They're notoriously low payers (I've seen from friends who've booked the disparity of what they get vs any other festival – it's quite something), and at some point touring for small acts in particular is going to get so tight that they'll be wondering if taking that loss is even worth it. The "great exposure!!!" thing is fine until you're faced with one gig losing you hundreds, even thousands of pounds.

2 hours ago, Matt87 said:

I think the lineup is extremely strong, so am surprised by this. It's very deep and there would be clashes for me everyday.

In terms of the crowd, I am seeing a lot of 'social media' people putting up posts just so they can be seen to be there.

I'm about 34 now, but I have noticed there seems to be a lot of 'idiots' in the younger generation coming through - so your 18-23 year old range...

1 minute ago, jannybruck said:

I think the inflation vs band fee thing might get a bit interesting for Glastonbury over the next couple of years. They're notoriously low payers (I've seen from friends who've booked the disparity of what they get vs any other festival – it's quite something), and at some point touring for small acts in particular is going to get so tight that they'll be wondering if taking that loss is even worth it. The "great exposure!!!" thing is fine until you're faced with one gig losing you hundreds, even thousands of pounds.

Greentea Peng had to cancel her tour earlier this year for cost reasons, so it's already happening and I wouldn't even call her 'small'...

My friends and I have discussed the changes of the festival since we've been going. I think there's definitely been a crowd/music change of direction in the last two decades, which hasn't helped with all the BBC coverage as more and more mainstream types/instagramers/influencers seem to go, as others have said, to tick a box and not buy into the whole ethos of the place. There's also more popular music than ever - Glasto is no longer for the alternatives, it's for the mainstream.

The late night area changes have been quite negative as well. The focus on these open-air superclub style venues which you're more likely to see in London or other major metropolis haven't helped. They feel like giant cattle markets, instead of interesting and bespoke venues, trying to cram in as many people as possible.

Which is another problem, the capacity. It's steadily risen over the years. I would prefer it if they increased the price instead of the capacity, not by much say, but by an extra fifty quid, most people would be happy to pay that extra. And if you're spending 500 plus on a ticket, transport, etc already, then an extra 50 quid is quite affordable - even if it means you have to miss a couple of nights out in the rest of the year. There is talk of increasing it still further, but in a wet year, I just can't see how that wouldn't create more problems.

The line-up/musical direction has been changing too. Objectively, the argument that this year is "stacked" is simply ridiculous btw. You just need to compare the artists on a stage by stage basis. 2017 was a real stacked year if you check it out on the basis of heritage, years in the business, popularity at the time of performing etc:

2022 vs 2017

Pyramid:

FRI: Wolf Alice/Robert Plant/Sam Fender/Billie Eilish vs Kris Kristoffesen/Royal Blood/The XX/Radiohead = No contest there. 2017 is easily superior in terms of longevity, sales, heritage, popularity at the time.

SAT: AJ Tracey/Haim/Noel Gallagher/Paul McCartney vs RTJ/Katy Perry/The National/Foos = Aside from Paul Mc., 2017 pisses all over 2022.

SUN: Diana Ross/Elbow/Lorde/Kendrick vs Barry Gibb/Chic/Biffy Clyro/Ed Sheeran = This one actually ends in a stalemate.

Other:

FRI: Supergrass/Idles/St. Vincent/Foals vs Halsey/George Ezra/Lorde/Major Lazer = Another easy win for 2017. St Vincent is sub, but is barely any bigger than Halsey, who was fourth down.

SAT: Glass Animals/Olivia Rodrigo/Burna Boy/Megan Thee Stalion vs Liam Gallagher/WIley/Stormzy/Alt-J = Tighter this one, but objectively Stormzy and Alt-J were both far bigger at the time than BurnaB and Megan are right now. There's no question for that.

SUN: Fontaines DC/Kacey Musgrave/Years & Years/Pet Shop Boys vs Haim/Courteeners/Emeil Sande/Boy Better Know = Okay, this is the first win for 2022, mostly because of PSB and Fontaines DC.

West Holts:

FRI: TLC/Seun Kuti/Bonobo/Little Simz vs Kate Tempest/Little Dragon/Anderson Paak/Dizzee Rascal = Tight, but Dizzee has been well-known for over a decade and is unlucky not to have headlined the whole shabang. 2022 wins outright.

SAT: Celeste/Leon Bridges/Caribou/Roisin Murphy vs Toots & the Maytals/the Avalanches/Solange/The Jacksons = The comparison to this one is just laughable. 2022 all the way. 2017 is very poor on this particular comparison.

SUN: Snarky Puppy/Koffee/Angelique Kidjo/Bicep vs Shaggy/Cinematic Orchestra/Moderat/Justice = Again, tighter, but Moderat were riding a huge crest and are more comparable to Bicep now, then you have to add Justice who have been around for years. Again, another win for 2017.

If anything, the fact that this year was not so stacked could help push average punters away from the festival who only want to see one or two big stars on the line up. That would help free up tickets, although I can't see it happening.

I feel like 2022's line up is almost secondary to the fact it's the first festival in three years. More bands/artists will be touring next year when things completely end with the pandemic and everyone gets their tours finished from a couple of years ago etc. I'm predicting 2023 will be truly stacked.

As with all of the problems I mentioned however, it's still the best music festival (or best holiday in general) in the world. I can't see them changing much of what I've criticised either. They'll increase the sw*nky food stands charging 15 quid for a couple of scotch eggs, they'll likely increase the prices as inflation goes up, increase the capacity, increase the landfill pop...

They'll increase all of that until the next financial crash - probably around 2023-24, when people will really be unable to afford it. In 2008, when Jay Z headlined, I think you could still buy tickets up until a week before the festival. It's sad to point out, but that's the only thing that will bring it all back down to Earth. 

Edited by MEGATRONICMEATWAGON
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

My friends and I have discussed the changes of the festival since we've been going. I think there's definitely been a crowd/music change of direction in the last two decades, which hasn't helped with all the BBC coverage as more and more mainstream types/instagramers/influencers seem to go, as others have said, to tick a box and not buy into the whole ethos of the place. There's also more popular music than ever - Glasto is no longer for the alternatives, it's for the mainstream.

The late night area changes have been quite negative as well. The focus on these open-air superclub style venues which you're more likely to see in London or other major metropolis haven't helped. They feel like giant cattle markets, instead of interesting and bespoke venues, trying to cram in as many people as possible.

Which is another problem, the capacity. It's steadily risen over the years. I would prefer it if they increased the price instead of the capacity, not by much say, but by an extra fifty quid, most people would be happy to pay that extra. And if you're spending 500 plus on a ticket, transport, etc already, then an extra 50 quid is quite affordable - even if it means you have to miss a couple of nights out in the rest of the year. There is talk of increasing it still further, but in a wet year, I just can't see how that wouldn't create more problems.

The line-up/musical direction has been changing too. Objectively, the argument that this year is "stacked" is simply ridiculous btw. You just need to compare the artists on a stage by stage basis. 2017 was a real stacked year if you check it out on the basis of heritage, years in the business, popularity at the time of performing etc:

2022 vs 2017

Pyramid:

FRI: Wolf Alice/Robert Plant/Sam Fender/Billie Eilish vs Kris Kristoffesen/Royal Blood/The XX/Radiohead = No contest there. 2017 is easily superior in terms of longevity, sales, heritage, popularity at the time.

SAT: AJ Tracey/Haim/Noel Gallagher/Paul McCartney vs RTJ/Katy Perry/The National/Foos = Aside from Paul Mc., 2017 pisses all over 2022.

SUN: Diana Ross/Elbow/Lorde/Kendrick vs Barry Gibb/Chic/Biffy Clyro/Ed Sheeran = This one actually ends in a stalemate.

Other:

FRI: Supergrass/Idles/St. Vincent/Foals vs Halsey/George Ezra/Lorde/Major Lazer = Another easy win for 2017. St Vincent is sub, but is barely any bigger than Halsey, who was fourth down.

SAT: Glass Animals/Olivia Rodrigo/Burna Boy/Megan Thee Stalion vs Liam Gallagher/WIley/Stormzy/Alt-J = Tighter this one, but objectively Stormzy and Alt-J were both far bigger at the time than BurnaB and Megan are right now. There's no question for that.

SUN: Fontaines DC/Kacey Musgrave/Years & Years/Pet Shop Boys vs Haim/Courteeners/Emeil Sande/Boy Better Know = Okay, this is the first win for 2022, mostly because of PSB and Fontaines DC.

West Holts:

FRI: TLC/Seun Kuti/Bonobo/Little Simz vs Kate Tempest/Little Dragon/Anderson Paak/Dizzee Rascal = Tight, but Dizzee has been well-known for over a decade and is unlucky not to have headlined the whole shabang. 2022 wins outright.

SAT: Celeste/Leon Bridges/Caribou/Roisin Murphy vs Toots & the Maytals/the Avalanches/Solange/The Jacksons = The comparison to this one is just laughable. 2022 all the way. 2017 is very poor on this particular comparison.

SUN: Snarky Puppy/Koffee/Angelique Kidjo/Bicep vs Shaggy/Cinematic Orchestra/Moderat/Justice = Again, tighter, but Moderat were riding a huge crest and are more comparable to Bicep now, then you have to add Justice who have been around for years. Again, another win for 2017.

If anything, the fact that this year was not so stacked could help push average punters away from the festival who only want to see one or two big stars on the line up. That would help free up tickets, although I can't see it happening.

I feel like 2022's line up is almost secondary to the fact it's the first festival in three years. More bands/artists will be touring next year when things completely end with the pandemic and everyone gets their tours finished from a couple of years ago etc. I'm predicting 2023 will be truly stacked.

As with all of the problems I mentioned however, it's still the best music festival (or best holiday in general) in the world. I can't see them changing much of what I've criticised either. They'll increase the sw*nky food stands charging 15 quid for a couple of scotch eggs, they'll likely increase the prices as inflation goes up, increase the capacity, increase the landfill pop...

They'll increase all of that until the next financial crash - probably around 2023-24, when people will really be unable to afford it. In 2008, when Jay Z headlined, I think you could still buy tickets up until a week before the festival. It's sad to point out, but that's the only thing that will bring it all back down to Earth. 

Would definitely say the Sunday Pyramid lineup is much better this year quality-wise. I know Sheeran and Clyro are clearly more popular than Kendrick and Lorde but would much rather watch the latter pairing. Also loved the WH Saturday lineup in 2017, The Jacksons was a great booking for a Saturday night.

Agree otherwise though.